Chapter 9: Eternal Misery

Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Donghae, wait up!”

Ryeowook jogged up next to the blonde who was walking down the school halls with his school bag and usual black leather jacket slung over his shoulder. He hadn’t seen the bad boy for some time now and he had to admit, he was kind of curious of where he had disappeared too. Donghae slowed down, grinning at Ryeowook.

“What’s up, beautiful?” Donghae asked, lighting his eyebrows.

“Where were you?” Ryeowook asked straightforwardly. “I haven’t seen you around recently,”

Donghae smirked, “Stalking me?”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes and Donghae continued, “Family issues. Apparently this dude just called me up and admitted to me that I was his son.”

Ryeowook gasped, “What? You found your dad?”

“Yeah, he’s been living in Busan.”

“Why don’t you sound happy about this?”

Forehead furrowed, Ryeowook gazed at the blonde warily. He knew about Donghae’s past. Somewhere, somehow, while handling drunk Kyuhyun at nights and worrying about Kyuhyun’s destructive behaviours during the day, Ryeowook started to get along with the bad boy and they were considered kind of friends now. Donghae weirdly cared for Kyuhyun just as much as he did - okay maybe not that much – but he still cared. Whenever they spent time together picking after Kyuhyun’s mess, Ryeowook learnt more about Donghae and he had to admit that the bad boy was actually kind of… Decent. And sweet. And nice. And… Well…. Very, very charming when he wanted to be.

Ryeowook knew that Donghae never had a mother or a father. The blonde lived with his uncle until he was about twelve before the bastard walked out on him. Donghae spent the rest of his teenage years with a gang, with a bunch of guys who just like him were trying to make a living out of whatever they could do. The guys were his brothers, they were like family to him. Until they got busted for dealing drugs. Donghae was the youngest in the gang and so, they protected him and gave him everything they had, urging him to run away while they distracted the cops. Donghae hadn’t seen them since then.

“Doesn’t matter,” Donghae muttered with a deadpanned expression. “Anyway, how’s our boy? Still a hundred death sticks a day?”

“I still hate you for making him addicted to them.” Ryeowook sighed, nodding. “How do we help him? He’s still hung over his parent’s death. He’s avoiding everyone even me nowadays. I don’t think he’ll ever snap out of it. I’m hoping he does. Sooner or later.”

 “Well you know what they say about hope,” Donghae gave a half-smirk, “It breeds eternal misery.”

Ryeowook gave Donghae a serious look before Donghae rolled his eyes and continued, “Maybe Kyuhyun doesn’t want to snap out of it. Have you ever thought about that?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean… I don’t know… Maybe Kyuhyun feels that life’s just easier if he doesn’t move on.”

Ryeowook grimaced, “Why would it be easier?”

“Because he doesn’t have to deal with anything. Sometimes, some people are just like that.”

“Is that why you don’t want to talk about what happened with you and your dad?” Ryeowook asked and then squeaked when Donghae stepped closer to him with that usual cheeky smirk. Damn it, Donghae always knew that he’d freak out when they got to close. The boy was too gorgeous and if he came any closer, Ryeowook would lose all his train of thoughts and just stared at him and thanked god for creating such a beautiful masterpiece. “I … I was just curious, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to… Or you don’t have to tell me at all. I’m totally fine with it.”

Donghae finally stepped back, a satisfied smirk plastered on his face. Ryeowook frowned, hating the effect the bad boy always had on him. “You don’t play fair.”

“Why would I?” Donghae questioned, laughing silently. “That would just be a waste of time.”

Ryeowook shook his head, “I have to get to class.”

“Let me walk you to your next classroom?” Donghae offered, flashing his usual devil-like grin.

“You don’t have to.” Ryeowook and Donghae slowed to a stop outside a class and Ryeowook giggled, patting Donghae’s chest playfully when Donghae frowned, “We’re already here.”

“Now you’re the one who is not playing fair.”

Ryeowook grinned, winking at the bad boy who was holding the class door open for him. “Never claimed I would. See you around, Donghae.”

“See you around, beautiful.”

Ryeowook waved at Donghae before entering the class. It was weird to say but he always liked these little moments with Donghae. Donghae had a great sense of humour and Ryeowook enjoyed it every time they had a conversation. Donghae never failed to make him laugh or say something smart and silly at the same time. Plus, he knew that Donghae would flirt with him every chance he got and Ryeowook hated to admit it but he kind of… secretly liked it. It made him feel special and confident. In truth, who wouldn’t want a handsome bad boy to flirt with you? It made his life a little bit more interesting for Ryeowook.

When Ryeowook sat in his usual spot, Heechul tapped onto his back to get his attention. He had met Heechul while they were directing for the schools anniversary musical and had never noticed the guy before the musical. But he found that Heechul was one of the funniest and wittiest guys he ever met and they bonded a lot while working together. Ryeowook considered Heechul one of his close friends now… Not that he had a lot to begin with.

“Should I call the fire department?” Heechul asked, giving Ryeowook a cheeky look. “Because damn, that boy is on fire.”

Ryeowook laughed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter