Turn of Events

The Jeon Wonwoo Burn Book

Wonwoo continued to look around frantically for Mingyu until finally, he saw a tall figure wearing a brown coat. Without wasting anymore time, he ran up to Mingyu, pulling the slightly taller boy into his embrace. Mingyu tensed up but relaxed as Wonwoo began to speak.

"Don't feel bad about yourself, Mingyu, please. Whatever it is, whoever you are, I still love you."

Mingyu his heel to face the boy with a beanie. "You what?"

"I said I love you, Kim Mingyu. D-Do you feel the same?" Wonwoo's voice trembled as he loosened his arms around Mingyu's waist and placed them behind his back shyly.

"Wonwoo I-I don't know. How am I supposed to know if you're telling the truth? All this time you've just been annoying the hell out of me." Mingyu said with a straight face but on the inside, he was regretting every word. 'What are you doing now Kim Mingyu? Tell the truth!' He thought but it was too late. Wonwoo simply smiled sadly.

"Oh yea. I've been nothing but a nuisance this whole time. Sorry Mingyu. Uhm...I guess I'll head home now. Merry Christmas."

Mingyu did not say anything and simply waited until Wonwoo was just a tiny figure in the distance before breaking down, not caring whether any one was giving him weird looks. By the time he got home, he was a mess; red puffy eyes, tear-stained cheeks, pale lips from the extreme cold outside. Mrs Kim immediately supported him to his room. His forehead was burning and he was running a high fever.

Carefully, she placed a cold wash cloth on his forehead and prepared some medicine on the bedside table. She figured something had happened with Wonwoo since he did not return with Mingyu.

"Wonwoo...I'm-I'm sorry..." Mingyu mumbled in his sleep.

"Oh Mingyu, you silly child." Mrs Kim whispered, tucking the stray hairs behind his ear and stood up to leave the room when she noticed a book on his study table. Curious, she flipped through it quickly only to be appalled with Mingyu's hate towards Wonwoo all written there. Tears started falling as she read the last page, the one that Wonwoo had written on in the attic. "My son, how are you even a model student when you are oblivious to so many things?" She shook her head and placed the book down, heading out of the room.

 

Mingyu awoke to a pitch black room and he rolled over to switch on his bedside lamp, groaning in pain during the process. He squinted at the sudden presence of light as he noticed the painkillers and a glass of water. He hurriedly ate the medicine and got up. Mingyu knew that he had to be resting but after what had happened earlier on, he felt that lying in bed will only make him think about it more. With a throbbing headache, he took a seat at his study table. Seeing the burn book, he felt tears pricking at the side of his eyes again and he flipped open the book, ripping out all the pages that had writings on it and tore them up.

"It had always been my fault. Hating on Wonwoo? Since when? I should have listened to myself. I knew it since the start didn't I? That I could not stop loving him..." Mingyu scolded himself. He turned to the last page which was folded at corner. Mrs Kim secretly folded it before leaving the room previously. He was only on the second line but he had already begun to tear up once again.

Hi Mingu~ It's Wonwoo and I apologise for writing in your book...

I just want you to know that I'm sorry for making you hate me so much. Sorry for always annoying you. I ruined everything didn't I?

I was not aware that I had been making you hate me all this while.

You should have just told me straight and I could change. I would do anything for you. Did you know that? No. Because I never told you that. I didn't know how to.

Despite all this though, I still love you, very much. Did you know that? Hm...nope. Because I'm a coward. I have no courage to confess at all.

Everything happened because of me and I cannot tell you how sorry I am.

I'll wait for you, Mingyu...I love you.

By the last sentence, he could not take it anymore and let his tears fall freely.

"No, Wonwoo. I never hated you and I love you too. I hate myself instead, for breaking your heart." Mingyu whispered, his voice hoarse.

"Then shouldn't you take the initiative now? Make things right?" He heard a voice from the doorway and Mrs Kim was standing there.

"You're right eomma, I'll go see Wonwoo now-"

"You're not going anywhere mister. You still have a fever and it's freezing outside." Mrs Kim pushed him back onto the bed and covered him with the warm sheets. "If you take care of yourself and get better, you'll get to talk to Wonwoo on Monday when you go back to school."

After a few minutes, Mingyu had fallen back to sleep, still mumbling Wonwoo's name every now and then.

"Seriously, this troublesome kid." Mrs Kim cracked a small smile.

 

"He rejected me, Kookie. I should have known. All this time, he seriously hated me...a lot but I was too blinded by love to notice." Wonwoo was on the phone with his cousin, Jungkook. His voice already showed all signs of defeat. "Don't some people say that after a confession and you get rejected, you'll feel relieved afterwards? But why do I feel different? I'm so heartbroken."

"That's another story and are you going to give up just like that?"

"N-no."

"Then there's your answer. Well I've got to go. I'm having a sleepover at Jimin hyung's house tonight and I have to go pack now. Bye and all the best Wonwoo hyung! I'll visit you, auntie and uncle soon." He said and hung up.

"I want Monday to come quickly." Wonwoo mumbled, letting a loose tear fall as he slowly drifted off to sleep, leaving behind the reality of the harsh world for a while.


Haha you thought. ><