A Cookie for A Date

The Jeon Wonwoo Burn Book

Prom night was officially next week and Kim Mingyu did not have a date. He narrowed his eyes in envy after witnessing his seatmate ask a girl out for prom and got accepted. He acted as if he did not need one but in actual fact, he was pretty afraid. People will definitely find out on prom day and he would probably be known as 'Model Student Gyu with No Date'. He shuddered at that thought and noticed Wonwoo running up to him as if the guy just found out he had won the lottery.

"Mingyu I got a date to prom! Have you asked anyone yet? Maybe we can do a double date thing!" Wonwoo commented as Mingyu tried to shoo him away, embarrassed. "Oh..."

"I know okay! I'm trying to prepare myself. Model Student Gyu with No Date." He sighed.

"What? Well maybe not for long." Wonwoo chuckled, redirecting Mingyu's attention to a girl walking up confidently to his table. "Look it's that girl from before. Ji Hye?"

"Hi Mingyu ssi! Uhm, I want you to have this." She placed a chocolate chip cookie on the table. It was in a cute heart-patterned transparent bag. "Wanna go to prom together?"

By this time, everyone's eyes were on them and people in class had started to cheer her on. Mingyu immediately felt the pressure on giving a proper answer.

"I'm sorry, Ji Hye..." He said apologetically since the person he wanted to go with was not her at all but everyone present watching the scene started booing, saying that he was not a gentleman since Ji Hye was starting to tear up. Sighing, he put a smile on his face. "I'm sorry that you had to be the one asking me out and not vice versa. Sure, I'll go to prom with you."

Cheers erupted and Mingyu turned to his left but Wonwoo was already gone. Feeling something on his hand, he realised that Ji Hye was writing down her phone number and address. "Call me okay and pick me up at 7." She waved and blew a flying kiss before skipping off to her squad who was waiting outside the classroom. Squeals could be heard from them as she recounted what had happened.

 

When the long day at school had ended, Mingyu did not even bother to stop by his favourite drinks store. He just stormed home even though he himself geniunely did not know why he kept feeling a sinking feeling in his gut. Mumbling a hello to his mother and father at the kitchen, he returned to his room and whipped out his homework to do. His phone began to ring and the call was from Wonwoo but he ignored it and put his phone on silent to prevent further distractions.

I hate that Wonwoo left me alone when Ji Hye asked me out in front of the whole class.

Mingyu decided to write in his burn book after a long time of what he felt was useless procrastinating. By the time he was done with his homework, it was already time for dinner but he decided to skip it just for today since there was too much on his mind and it was beginning to take a toll on him.

Getting into the shower, he saw the faded ink on the palm of his hand which was what used to be Ji Hye's address and phone number. Rolling his eyes, he washed it off without a care.

Kim Mingyu had made a decision and it was to tell Ji Hye that he could not go to prom with her. If prom was supposed to be a magical night like what most teens would describe it to be, then he did not see why he would have to go with someone he did not want to go with. Defeats the whole purpose doesn't it? If worst comes to worst, then he would just stay home. There will be no need to spend money on a tuxedo anyway.

He went out of the bathroom a.k.a his thinking room and saw his mother plating the dishes for dinner that night.

"Mum I'm not eating tonight. I want to go to bed. Exhausted."

"Alright but is it okay if I bring some warm milk up for you later?"

"Sure, I'll just stay up for a little while longer."

Laying down on his bed, he unlocked his phone only to almost get a heart attack. There were five missed calls and ten messages from Wonwoo, and one message from a sender whom he had not communicated with before. He tapped on the latest one.

 

From: Jeon Wonwoo

Minguuu replyyy! Why are you not replying? I'll visit you at your house if you don't. Actually, I can't. :(

 

From: xxx-xxx-xxx

Hello Mingyu oppa <3 It's Ji Hye. I got your number from one of your classmates. You haven't texted me yet so I thought I would. *3*

 

He placed his phone on the bedside table just as his mother walked in after a knock. He sat up, and accepted the glass of milk from her, beggining to take small sips as she began to make small talk. About how he was doing at school, teachers, friends, grades and...prom.

"It's all going horribly." He gulped down the rest of the drink.

"Go on."

"Ji Hye asked me to prom. In front of the whole class so I couldn't possibly reject her." Mingyu explained, trying to keep awake but sleep was already undeniably starting to kick in. "But I really really didn't want to be her date..." He trailed off and laid back down.

"Then you should tell her your true feelings. Well who did you want to go to prom with then?" Mrs Kim asked, Mingyu's soft hair but there was no response as he had already fallen asleep. She took it as her cue to leave and stood up from the bed, pulling the covers over him. She exited the room and smiled before closing the door behind her.


Sorry for not updating! I have fam over but I'm back now! yAs :D

Thanks for sticking around, ya'll <3