So, So Handsome*

Blue (2jae)

Chapter 3: So, So Handsome.

"Youngjae, listen to me" - Jaebum said patiently waiting for Youngjae to stop rambling and finally listen to what he had been trying to tell him for the last ten minutes. The two were standing inside Got7’s practice room, discussing what they had just heard from their manager.

"But, hyung, this is insane! This is crazy. It doesn't make any kind of sense or what so ever" - Youngjae loudly replied, still not listening to Jaebum.

"Youngjae, listen!" - Jaebum shouted.

"I'm trying to explain" - he continued in a lower tone after seeing Youngjae’s scared face.

"But..." - Youngjae tried again. Youngjae was beyond stressed and confused as he just couldn’t understand the situation and Got7’s management’s sudden decision. Youngjae could always understand all typed of weird ‘rules’ of the idol world but this one he couldn’t get the hang of.

"Listen. Listen. We're not going to stop being friends or any other non-sense like that. The company just needs us to lay low for a while, and get this "2jae is real" bull over with" - Jaebum explained carefully, making sure Youngjae understood every word he was saying at the moment. But Youngjae seemed to be just all over the place, pacing back and forth without a stop.

"But the 2jae thing is just a joke. Every idol group has to face that, right? JYP PD-nim talked with us about that while we were still trainees. All we have to do is to just not to pay any attention to it. Isn’t that what JYP PD-nim said he had to do? So what’s with forbidding us from talking to each other, or even being close to each other in a public place? They don't do that to Mark and Jinyoung hyung, but why all of a sudden us? Is having a strong and close friendship something to be embarrassed about? Does our friendship ruin Got7’s image?" - Youngjae was outraged. The 'restriction' their company set this time was just too much and too random. Jaebum has never seen him be so upset over a single verdict from the company ever. Youngjae was always the ‘chill one’, the one who just coolly dealt with whatever JYPE’s staffs came up with to ‘improve’ Got7’s public image. But this time it seemed that Youngjae was very much pissed off about the whole situation.

"Youngjae, relax. It's okay. All we have to do is just…" - Jaebum couldn’t exactly find words for what they had to do as he himself couldn’t process the words from his manager, yet as well.

“All we have to do is ‘lay low’ for a while and just…” – Jaebum tried again but the more he tried to explain the more ridiculous everything seemed. Nevertheless, Jaebum smiled looking at Youngjae, trying to assure the kid that the situation wasn't as bad as Youngjae thought it was. Jaebum was trying to make Youngjae see the ‘bright side’ of the whole situation they were in, but he was irritated and disturbed by the decision just like Youngjae was, if not more.

 

"Youngjae and Jaebum, you two have a bit too close relationship that rumors are spreading fast about your ‘relationship in real life’. So for a few months or so, the company needs you two please reduce the amount of the public display of affection and everything like that" – Got7’s main manager spoke slowly, careful not to confuse the boys or maybe even hurt one of their feelings.

Jaebum stood there quietly listening to everything his manager had to say while Youngjae frowned, annoyance and anger obvious on his face.

 

 

"But why would our fans even care if we were indeed dating or not? Shouldn't the only things that matter be our happiness and well-being?" - Youngjae continued.

"I don't know" - was the only thing Jaebum could come up at the time.

Youngjae heavily sighed, closing his eyes for a few seconds. He then smiled weakly and started to nod.

"Sure, if that's what the company wants, who are we to question it? We must do as the company dictates. After all we’re JYPE employees, so we should listen to our employers" - Youngjae mumbled and smiled again. Nonetheless, it was a fake smile and it hurt Jaebum’s heart to look at his miserable member, who had to face the sad and cruel reality of the idol world.

 

It was on the plane to a new destination, when Jaebum noticed that Youngjae's facial expression was changed from annoyed and angry to tired and emotionally drained, like he didn't have any more energy left to be angry at people. Jaebum felt bad for the poor kid. This new restriction crap seemed to be really affecting Youngjae. Plus not only the dumb and surreal news from their manager seemed to upset Youngjae, it was also the fact that Got7 practically moved to a new destination every single day without a rest or a stop. Looking at it with a bright mind set, of course, it was good for Got7’s career that their schedule was packed literally with no space left. But if you looked at it from the struggling members’ perspective, it was possibly the most brutal thing guys in their early twenties had to experience instead of just enjoying their limited youth.

"You okay?" - Jaebum asked Youngjae, who sitting next to him was watching some TV show, raising his eyebrows at the same time.

"Yeah" - Youngjae muttered, not turning his attention away from what he was watching.

"Cool" - Jaebum whispered back and went back to listening to his favorite tunes. But it wasn't 'cool'; frankly, it was, without a doubt, really ing far from 'cool'. The sad, mentally and physically exhausted Youngjae bugged Jaebum. It really bothered Jaebum and made him sick to the stomach to see his favorite person like this. Youngjae was usually the type to just pretend to be okay, in order not to make anyone worried and carry on doing whatever he was supposed to do. Also he was the type to almost never lose his wonderful smile from his face, as if he actually knew that his smile was the most attractive part of his already mesmerizing face. So Youngjae showing his lack of energy and pessimism to others basically meant he was done with everything and was possibly leading to a huge mental breakdown. Jaebum very clearly understood that, but he couldn't do anything about it. And he hated himself for not being able to do anything.

Jaebum shook his head. He was thinking about all of this too much. Jaebum closed his eyes and decided to get some rest.

 

 

"Jaebum hyung" - Youngjae called out looking for his hyung.

"Hey" - Jaebum smiled sitting on the grass in Mark's parents' backyard. Got7, excluding Jackson, was visiting Mark's parents' house in Los Angeles.

"It's really late, what are you doing out here? By the way, we’re going to watch a movie, you should join us" – Youngjae was beaming just as he had been doing ever since they got to the sunny city. He seemed to really like the life in the city of angels.

"I was just looking at the stars" - Jaebum replied, lying down.

"Why?" - Youngjae decided to join the leader and lied down beside him.

"I don't know. They're just really nice to look at, plus we don't usually get the chance to look at them, so why not?"

"That's true" - Youngjae agreed and smiled, gazing the stars.

"You're nicer to look at, though" - Jaebum blurted out, unconsciously. As soon as those words left Jaebum’s words, he started to regret every single decision he’s made in life. It wasn’t because what Jaebum said was untrue, Youngjae was really good-looking, thus making it enjoyable to stare at him, but Jaebum would have never said something cringe-worthy easily just like that. He just wasn't the type to do so. But for some stupid reason (possibly because of his sub consciousness ing with him), he said it and there was no way of taking it back, unless Jaebum had the power to reverse time. Jaebum tested out his luck and tried to actually reverse time, but couldn't because a) he wasn't a superhero, b) this was not a comic book or a movie, this was real life where one had to deal with the aftermath of his actions.

"Why are you saying that all of a sudden?" – Jaebum’s innocent and pure at heart donsaeng laughed.

"He laughed it off, thank god." - Jaebum thought and carried on to stare at the stars, speculating about thousand things at once.

"What movie are they watching?" - Jaebum asked, not because he cared but because he had to find something to talk with Youngjae about.

"They were saying that 'My Sister's Keeper’ was on tonight, so I think that's what they're watching now" - Youngjae replied.

"That movie makes me cry every time I watch it" - Jaebum confessed, laughing and making Youngjae laugh in process.

"I really didn't think you were the type to cry because while watching a movie" - Youngjae laughed harder.

"Don't laugh!" - Jaebum exclaimed, hitting the youngster's upper arm, making him wince.

"You're too brutal, leader-nim" - Youngjae whined, earning a good punch from his strong hyung.

"Shut up and enjoy the beautiful view" - Jaebum ordered.

About 30 minutes later, Jaebum noticed Youngjae had fallen asleep while he was busy inspecting the bright night sky's every single small star.

"Strange child you are, Youngjae. But why do I like you so much?" - Jaebum said out loud, looking at the peacefully sleeping boy.

 

 

"Youngjae, do you want some water?" - Mark offered Youngjae a water of bottle.

"How did you know, hyung? I was about to die out of dehydration" - Youngjae grinned and gratefully took the bottle from Mark, giving him a cute smile and a hug for the small bottle of water.

They had just arrived at their destination and were at the airport, waiting for their van to come and pick them up.

"What are they doing, honestly?” - Jaebum thought to himself. Mark and Youngjae have been way too close for his taste for the past month or so. Sure, Jaebum could understand that they had a lot to talk about considering that they were now owners of a living breathing thing but they didn’t need to be this close.

"Mark, my best friend – Mark Tuan, I've missed you so much" - Jaebum quickly grabbed Mark and started to hug the out of him. Confused by his leader’s sudden and confident public display of affection Mark hugged Jaebum back unsure of what else to do or say.

"But weren’t you sitting next to me on the plane?" - Mark muttered.

"That doesn't mean I can't miss you! Plus you were sleeping and so was I" - Jaebum responded and hugged Got7’s big hyung even tighter.

"Jaebum, can't... breathe... have to… let go" - Mark managed to say, which only made Jaebum tighten his hug.

"What the hell are you guys doing" - Jinyoung interrupted the two, rescuing his best friend away from Jaebum’s ‘evil’ arms.

"Thank God, and thank you, Jinyoung. This is exactly why I love you" - Mark exclaimed and gave his friend, who was almost at a point of a boyfriend, a heartfelt high five.

As for Jaebum and Youngjae, they ignored each other as they were told by their agency.

At the hotel, the room arrangements were the same as they were at the dorm. And because everyone was very tired from the flight, no one cared to protest to try and change the arrangement made by their manager. So after Got7 members were given the room keys, they quietly and quickly went to their rooms.

Youngjae especially was being quiet. Maybe it was because of the long- flight, or the sudden decision the company made, or maybe it was because Youngjae’s been promoting Got7’s new Christmas single way too intensely. No one, expect Youngjae, knew the actual reason.

The main vocalist, after arriving to the room quickly fell asleep and didn’t even bother to take a shower, which was odd. Youngjae loved showers and took one whenever he had the chance as he always thought showers were relaxing and were a good way to find new and unique tunes and melodies.

Jaebum on the other hand always took showers simply because he was a clean freak. So today being no exception to his regular routine, Jaebum took a short shower, fixed his hair, and checked every social platform there was to check, looked through all the fan taken photos of Got7 and even reorganized his suitcase.

Sighing, with nothing else left to do, Got7's leader decided to finally go to sleep.

"Good night, Youngjae" - Jaebum said just out of habit to the long asleep member and shut off the lights.

"Night, hyung" - Youngjae replied quietly. It was so sudden that Jaebum for a few minutes thought he was starting to go crazy and hearing things.

"Hyung, don't worry. You're not insane. I'm just not asleep, like you thought I was” – Youngjae mumbled.

It was after 5-6 minutes that Jaebum finally found out that he was not indeed crazy, it was just that Youngjae wasn't asleep while Jaebum was doing all the weird he'd been doing for the past hour or so. Jaebum even, at some point, commented about how Youngjae was really handsome whilst looking at fan taken pictures of him. Jaebum mentally slapped himself for saying that and prayed to every God he could think of at the moment that Youngjae wouldn't bring up Jaebum's comments about how fine he was.

"Hyung" - Youngjae called out again.

"Hm"

"Do you think aliens actually exist?"

"You're really weird sometimes” – Jaebum whispered, smiling to himself.

“They probably do exist. Or don't. Nobody knows and probably no one will ever know" - Jaebum replied quickly, without thinking about it.

"Do you actually like my voice?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?" - Jaebum wondered. Jaebum did actually like his voice. Youngjae's voice was soft and pleasant to listen to. If he was to compare it with anything, he'd compare it with warmth of the morning sun, soft and fuzzy sweaters, melted chocolate and everything lovely.

"Do you think I’m ‘so so handsome’?” – Youngjae asked, quoting Jaebum’s comments about his photos earlier. Jaebum closed his eyes, cursing everyone he could think of, including Youngjae.

“Don’t you know eavesdropping is rude, Choi Youngjae?” – Jaebum said in the toughest and scariest voice he could manage.

“But you were literally next to me, talking about my face, so I think I have the right to hear whatever you have to say” – Youngjae responded confidently. Jaebum was impressed. Was this really the guy who’s been upset over a decision the agency made all day?

“You’re not angry anymore, I see” – Jaebum remarked.

“I’ve come to the terms that we can be as close as we want in private and just have to be a bit farther away from each other in public” – Youngjae responded, sighing.

“And I’ve accepted that it is okay and it won’t affect our friendship”.

“I’m impressed by how quickly you made up your mind about the problem and how quickly you found something good in it”.

“It’s all because I’m ‘so so handsome’, just like you said, hyung”.