Chapter 9

Butterfly

Solar opened her eyes slowly. The room was a bit too bright and her brown eyes were having hard time adjusting.

 

She picked her phone off the bed and stared at the clock, before sitting up a bit too fast, that everything around her started moving in circles.

 

"Wheein!" Her mind shouted but she made no sound. Yongsun got off her bed, threw a look at Moonbyul’s empty bed, before she left the room.

 

The brunette barged into the younger girls’ room, but only Hyejin was there, making her bed. “Is there something wrong?” She asked looking at the older girl. The latter shook her head, before leaving the room.


 

Her next stop was the kitchen. A smile creeped to her face the second her eyes caught Wheein’s figure standing by the cooker.

 

She did not wait one more second before walking to the girl and wrapping her arms around her waist. The younger girl jumped in place, surprised by the sudden action.

 

“Wheeinie, it’s me, unnie,” her voice was soft, calming, and Wheein smiled.

 

“You’re back. You’re here,” Yongsun added, almost whispering, but was a few inches from Wheein’s ear, and she heard her clearly, which drew a smile on her face.

 

“Wheeinah,” the older coaxed.

“Yes?”

“I am sorry,”

 

Wheein put away the frying pan, as she was done making eggs; she wiped her hands, and turned to look at Solar, without breaking the hug.

She cupped the older’s face with her hands, slightly squeezing her cheeks, “it’s in the past now,” Solar nodded.

“But unnie,” Wheein stared at her dead in the eyes, “do you still think that I am a monster?”

 

Solar shook her head vigorously, an apologetic look on her face.

“You are an angel Wheeinie, an angel, with really beautiful angel wings, a really pretty angelic smile, and a gorgeous angelic voice,” Wheein smiled, letting go of the older’s face, she then tiptoed and pressed a kiss on the taller girl’s right cheek.

 

She noticed the blush on other’s cheeks, and felt her own heating up, but she tried to act cool, and started preparing the rice.

 

“Go take your shower,” she shooed the leader, and the latter obeyed.






 

“Someone is happy today!” Moonbyul commented when she caught her roommate humming to Akdong Musician’s 200%. The brunette continued singing, not answering her best friend.

 

“Let me guess,” Byul said, her index finger tapping her chin, “it must be l o v e, 200% sure of that,” she chuckled, as she went through her closet to pick an outfit for the day.

 

“I need to look good, Wheein is back,” Byulyi said, talking to herself, but loud enough for the other human-being in the room to hear her.

 

“Excuse me, Moon Byul Yi,” Solar emphasized every syllabus of the rapper’s name, “she, is, mine,”

 

Not someone who would let go of an opportunity to best friend, Moonbyul decided to carry on with the conversation.

 

“Says who?”

“Says me!”

“Do you have your name imprinted on her or something?” Moonbyul asked, staring at her reflection in the mirror, trying to choose between a plain white dress shirt and a t-shirt.

 

“Nope, but she’s still mine,” Solar whined.

“Did she say that she’s yours?”

 

Yongsun stayed silent, pretending not to hear the younger girl.

 

Moonbyul finished putting on her white dress shirt, rolled up her sleeves, and combed her hair. “Let’s go ask her,” she said.

 

“What?” The older’s voice raised a little, and Byulyi knew for sure her best friend was nervous.

“I said, let’s go ask her if she is mine, or yours,” She left the room, followed by the brunette.

 

Wheein was in the living room, nagging Hyejin to put a cartoon channel where they stream Doraemon at that time of the morning.


 

“Wheein, I swear to Beyoncé, if you don’t let me watch this show in peace, I will talk about your little accident from junior high on the next interview,” the blonde with short hair deadpanned, not even looking at her best friend.


 

“Wheein, we have something to ask you,” Moonbyul called, leaning on the wall, Solar standing right behind her.

 

“Yes?” The shorter girl walked to them, already aware of what they are going to ask. She smiled gently at them, her dimple showing.

 

“Are you mine, or Yongsun’s?” Moonbyul asked confidently.

 

Wheein knew that the rapper is asking such questions only to tease the oldest of them, but she pretended to think deeply about it.


 

“Close your eyes, and I will hug whoever I belong to,” Wheein said after pondering on it for a while.

 

Moonbyul closed her eyes right away, but Solar was hesitant about it. She got even more anxious when seconds passed without a pair of arms hugging her, and a body pressed against hers.


 

“You can open now!”

 

Both of the girls opened their eyes, looking at each other, but Wheein was not there, they followed the source of the voice, only to find Wheein in the kitchen, hugging the fridge, “food before hoes, sorry.” She shrugged her shoulders, letting go of the fridge, and taking a seat.


 

“Who are YOU calling a hoe?” Byulyi stormed to Wheein’s side. The younger girl looked up at her unnie, her eyes round, and her smile so wide that her dimple looked deeper than ever before, “unnie, let’s eat. I made this.”


 

The rapper sighed, settling down next to the younger girl. How can I be mad at her if she looks at me that way?

 

“Hyejin,” Yongsun called, “what does hoes mean?”

Wheein choked up on the rice, started coughing hard, and Moonbyul tapped her backs gently, telling her to breathe through her nose, and out of , but the younger girl is chuckling, making it harder for herself to follow the instructions.


 

She looked at Hyejin, and laughed harder when she saw the look on her best friend’s face.

“Man, are you serious?” Hyejin managed to ask, and Yongsun stayed silent, confused.

 

“What’s wrong with not knowing an English word?” She pouted, and started digging into her bowl of rice.






 

 



 

The leader started, subconsciously, paying extra attention to Wheein since she came back, her eyes never leaving her, almost following her wherever she goes, making sure she’s safe, she’s home, she’s not hungry, and hydrated.


 

There were some nights when Wheein comes home at four in the morning to find the oldest of them waiting for her with a cup of hot chocolate, and a snack before bed.


 

She noticed how drained of energy the younger girl is every time she comes home after her long nights, how she wakes up with a pale face and low body temperature, but Wheein told her that everything is okay, and she even made Hyejin talk to the older girl to reassure her.




 

Solar felt her heart sting during, and after her talk with Hyejin. She didn’t know why she felt so frustrated over Hyejin’s huge knowledge of Wheein’s “secret”.

 

I should ask Wheein about it. Curiosity is consuming me alive.


 

 

 

 

January, the 17th,Moonbyul was visiting her grandma, Hyejin had to stay in the RBW building to record for a duo with a male rapper.

 

It was only Yongsun and Wheein in the dorm, and the former had decided that it would be a good chance to talk some things out.

 

She prepared a few drinks, because anyone would need alcohol in their system if they are planning to dig into their lover’s past, and especially if the latter is an angel.


 

“Aren’t you a bit too dressed up for a saturday night at home?” Wheein crossed her legs, sinking in the comfort of the couch, Solar never leaving her sight.

 

“It’s not any saturday night at home. It’s a saturday night at home, with you,” Yongsun finished filling the coffee table with different snacks, and a bunch of couple alcohol bottles.

 

She sat on the floor, her back to the couch, Wheein sitting slightly to her right.

“Are we having a party?”

“Body party,” Yongsun deadpanned, referring to a song the girls used to dance to during their free time.


 

“Unnie, do you have something to ask me?” The blonde decided that dodging bullets will cost them a long night of silence, awkwardness, and reading the older’s thoughts without getting a chance to comment on them, nor answer her questions.


 

Upon hearing the younger’s question, Solar got off the floor, and joined Wheein on the comfy couch, “ahuh,” she nodded, “to be honest, I have been thinking about this thing quite a lot lately, and I really need some answers.

 

Wheein nodded, reaching for her hair to pull it up in a lousy ponytail. It’s going to be a long night. She thought, but she still smiled brightly at the person who stole her heart.


 

“I don’t know how to ask this, Wheeinie, and nor do I know where to start, but I really want to know what happened. Why are you on earth? It’s not like I’m complaining about it, I mean, I love that you are here with me, but what happened? Did you get punished? Do you have more powers other than having really beautiful wings and a strength that normal people like you wouldn’t have?”


 

Solar bombarded the younger girl with questions, but the latter already knew all of them. Solar, indeed, had been pondering on it for a while, and it fascinates Wheein how she kept back from asking all of that for a respected period of time.

 

She turned to face Yongsun, smiling to hide her nervousness, as it is her second time ever talking about this. Her first time was over six years before that night.


 

“It’s going to be a long story, so let me pour you a drink, but you listen carefully, unnie,” the dimpled girl grabbed a cup and filled it with soju, then handed it to the leader, “however, I will refrain from drinking, since I need to tell you the story,” she smiled, her eyes disappearing in crescents.



 

“In this universe live special privileged humans,” Wheein’s voice was low, as if she was relaying the nation’s top secrets, “these individuals have a divine peculiarity.” Wheein stopped talking, her smile dropping a little, she groaned, “I don’t know how to say this, oh god!”

 

Yongsun giggled at Wheein’s cuteness. “Take it easy. We have the entire night,” she said, to which the younger nodded. She took Wheein’s left hand in hers, squeezing it in reassurance.

 

“On earth there are special humans. Humans who have twins, but not human twins. They have, angel twins. Angels come to life before their human twins. It can be few days before, or a couple of months, that varies.”


 

Although the light was dim, Wheein could see clearly the older’s face. Her eyes were wide open, her free hand covering , but it was not shock, it was surprise.


 

The silence was a sign for the younger to carry on with her story, she cleared before adding, “my twin was too beautiful, too innocent and pure. I loved her so much, even though I never met her in person, even though she did not know I exist, every part of me was a part of her.

 

I hear what she hears. I see what she sees. Our hearts beat together, and skip beats together. I cry when she cries, and I smile when she smiles.

I loved her so much that when she goes outside on a sunny spring day, I can feel the sun rays against my skin. I can feel the breeze playing with her hair, making her smile, and I smile. I can hear the birds chirp, I can feel our hearts beat.

I loved her so much that when she gets hurt I can feel my stomach twist, I can feel my heart drop out of its place. She was my everything.

Then one day,”


 

The blonde stopped talking. She swallowed hard, her mind going a bit blank avoiding memories she wanted, long ago, to forget.

“Are you okay?” The brunette asked, concern filling her voice.


 

“She was with her mom, walking home from school. It was spring and she got excited over the alluring butterflies. How dumb of her. She strayed away from her mom’s grip, following an attractive rainbow colored butterfly. He was drunk, the car driver, and hit the brakes a bit too late, couldn't avoid crashing her.”


 

She needed to take a break, to wipe a tear that escaped her eyes, to breathe.Yongsun’s hand never left hers, her thumb brushing soothingly against the back of her palm, an unspoken comfort.



 

“She was dying, and I couldn’t just sit and watch her die. She was my everything, unnie, my other half. I cried to the gods. I tumbled down on my knees and begged every individual possessive of power to save her.

 

She must live. She was too pure, too beautiful, too young..to die. No one could help me. Each and everyone told me that it was impossible for me to stop the fate from doing its work, so I looked up every single, tiny detail throughout our history.

My heart, that beats with hers and for her, whispered to me with a every beat, that there’s a way out.

 

I was running out of time, but I promised that I would never let the cruel destiny take her away that early.

 

A few nights passed before I came across an abandoned script. It gave me a choice. If I wanted to save my twin I should leave my home to live on earth, become a half angel. I get to lead a normal human life during the day, but I turn to an angel every night, except for the 17th of every month, for I was born on the 17th.

She meant the world to me. And, here I am.”


 

The older girl was sobbing by the time Wheein finished talking. She used the hem of her sleeve to wipe her runny nose. She looked at her hand holding Wheein’s.


 

Silence.

 

She will need time to process all of this.

 

Silence.

 

Did I tell her too much?

 

Silence.

 

“Wheeinie..,” her voice was no longer shaking, “who is she?”

 

And before Wheein managed to say anything, the lights as the front door opened.

“I’m home!” Hyejin announced.

 

The brunette caught the smile which lit up Wheein’s face.

“Of course..” She said.

 

“Huh?” Wheein asked, looking at the direction of the voice.


“It’s Hyejin," Solar mumbled.

 

 

 


hi!!!! it's been ages, huh? well here's the "reveal" of wheein's past, and why she's on earth.. i wish i had the ability to write this in a better way but i guess i kinda hahaha..there's a possibility that i'll turn that little wheesa angel thing to a separate one shot
also i might edit this later and update it again..

i'll look forward to your comments...thank you all <3 

i love you

(ah it seems that wheesa are getting matching tattoos...damn goals)