Chapter 4

Butterfly

Her mind wandered back to the girl running across the street. Why do I see her in everyone? Was I, maybe, dreaming?

She asked questions that could not be answered, not that night, nor the day after, and maybe never. 

 

As usual, Moonbyul is the first to wake up. She slipped out of her room silently, still used to being Hyejin's roommate, the other light sleeper in the group, forgetting that the older girl sharing a room with her, now, wouldn't wake up that easily.

She slipped into her old room and proceeded to wake up Hyejin. "Is Wheein a heavy sleeper?" She whispered to the girl sitting up on her bed, eyes bloated, looking like a baby. Wheein's name made the younger girl shut her eyes wide open and immediately turn her head to her left. Her best friend was there, sleeping soundly. Her face looked pale and her breath still unsteady. 

"I'll wake her up, don't worry." 

"I want her to wake up Yong Sun unnie. She would be so happy to see her first in the morning." Said the older girl, adding a weird wink at the end and they both smiled. Hyejin nodded in approval. 

Once Byul left the room Hyejin hopped out of her bed and bent down looking at her sleeping best friend with eyes a bit teary. How much could she endure? She asked herself.

 

Her still warm hands found way to Wheein's cheeks, pressing her palms against them in attempt to warm the freezing, pale face.

After staring at her for a while, holding back tears that threatened to fall, her slender fingers played with the older's hair and with a low, calm voice she woke the other girl up.

 

"You need a hot shower. When did you come back?"

"Around 5 a.m!" The older's sleepy, exhausted voice replied as she started to sit up. Her best friend pulled her for a tight hug, a sob stuck in .

"When will you get used to it? huh?" Wheein asked patting the younger's head, trying to calm her down.

"I don't want to get used to your pain." Her voice cracked. Wheein just tightened her hug.

"Go wake Yong Sun unnie up. She'll be so happy to see you, but as you know, she's a heavy..really heavy sleeper." She added, breaking the hug. Wheein got out of bed. She looked into the mirror standing in the corner of their room. She pinched her cheeks to get some normal pink shade and put on her best smile then headed out of the room.

 

"Unnie!!!" She shook the leader for the 7th time. "UGH!" She groaned in frustration as the girl laying in front of her didn't seem the little bit bothered or awake. She slumped her against the floor, crossing her legs. She inhaled and exhaled a few times to calm herself. She's a heavy..really heavy sleeper.. Hyejin's voice rang in her head. 

 

The latter dragged Byul and they both stood silently outside the unnie line's room holding back their laughter as they watched Wheein experience what they have been going through for the past few months. 

 

Waking up Yong Sun is no joke, they both admit. Wheein  her front teeth and got up again, determination filling her eyes. "How much you wanna bet she'll scream into her ear?"

"No I say she'll use the water on the night table!!" Whispered Byul.

 

Wheein hovered over the oldest for a second before she held the tip of her blanket and with one move it was laying on the floor next to Byul's bed. She froze in place as a pantless Yong Sun stared at her with sleepy eyes. A smile decorated the older's face seeing her angel waking her up but it soon disappeared as she noticed the confusion on the other girl's face.

 

"What?" She asked obliviously.
Wheein turned around, blushing hard, talking gibberish "I'msowwyIdidnknowyougotosleephalf"
Yong Sun couldn't understand anything.

 

Byul walked in and threw the leader's blanket back to her, unable to control her laugh. Hyejin was on the floor, holding her stomach as her loud laugh resonated in the dorm.

 

"Cover yourself up Yong-Kong!" Byul managed to say in between laughs before she walks out of the room. She squatted down next to Hyejin and said "They are both blushing so hard oh my god this is better than anime."

"Unnie! You watch anime?" The maknae gasped.
Her partner in crime stood up and walked away from her without saying anything.

 

The walk to their company was silent. Yong Sun's mind was occupied, again, with the girl from last night. Wheein was thinking about the embarrassing accident she had in the morning. Byul's mind was relaxing, like always, and Hyejin, she wanted more cereal. 

 

 

* *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * *** * ***

 

At night, once Byul fell asleep, Yong Sun headed to the same spot from the night before. She leaned over, resting her arms on the edge, letting the cold breeze wash away her exhaustion. Her gaze fixed on the only enlightened spot in the street, she thought about the mysterious girl from last night. 

 

Her room was dark as well and she let the darkness absorb her into the depth of it. The sound of fast, light steps, pulled her out of her shadows. She looked at the street trying to see the passerby. Soon after, she caught sight of a petite figure making its way down the neighborhood. 

She couldn't tell if it was the same person from the night before. She couldn't even tell if it was a female or just a really young boy. She sighed and let the darkness swallow her again. 

 

Since that night, it became a habit for Yong Sun to sit by the window every night after the other girls had got into deep sleep. Almost every night, she would see the same person pass, going down the neighborhood.

 

As much as she hated to admit it -to herself, of course-, she felt so empty on the nights her mysterious person wouldn't show up. Even though she would see her for merely ten seconds, she was sad when she couldn't see her at all.

 

Deep inside, the leader knew that she was developing unhealthy feelings for someone she knows nothing about, but that couldn't stop those feelings from growing. She believed that growing attached to someone who doesn't know that she exists, at least doesn't give that person the chance to hurt her. 

 

 

Less than one month passed since the first time she had seen that stranger. She leaned over the edge again when she felt sharp pain spread all over her head. After hesitating for a few minutes, she used her phone to light her way to the kitchen where they kept painkillers in the fridge. She feared that turning on the lights would bother the kids. 

 

 

Without making any noise, she reached the fridge. Standing in the middle of the small kitchen, her eyes got customized to the dark. She was holding a cup of warm water in her right hand and the pill in the other hand when a faint light came from the hallway. She didn't make any noise in order to not frighten whoever woke up, probably to go to the restroom. However, the light was heading her way and before she reacts, Wheein passed by the counter separating the kitchen and the living room, making her way out of the apartment, silently. 

 

 

The older girl stared at the closed door in shock. It was past one in the morning and she couldn't believe what she had just witnessed. 

I must be dreaming.. She thought, walking towards the mankaes' room. Slowly opening the door and peeking in, Wheein's empty bed greeted her coldly. Hwasa was sleeping peacefully. 

 

The girl I have been seeing almost every night..is no one other than Wheein.. The oldest of them shook her head trying to process the new information and the huge impact it has on her life.

 

Where does Wheein go? Is everything okay? 

She thought about calling the younger girl, but she decided to wait till the morning. That night, Yong Sun couldn't sleep at all. 

 

 

 


A/N: I'm sorry for the late update, exams and all..anyways..comments are really appreciated (because I'm so curious about what you guys think of this..) Thank you <3