CHAPTER 7

Young & Free

JL Academy | Following day…

 

“Oppa!”  A younger girl rushed towards JL Academy’s Elites, turning their heads towards the familiar voice.

 

Charging at her one and only brother, she crashes unto him while engulfing her dainty arms around his waist.  Her name is Nam Jooyeon, Joohyuk’s younger sister who is only a 9th grader in JL Academy’s high school.  Out of the four of them, Joohyuk is the only one with a younger sibling.  Asides from Amber having an adoptive elder sister, Kai and Irene were both the only child.  That makes Jooyeon their beloved dongsaeng.

 

Returning the hug, he had to question his sister, “What are you doing on this side of the campus?  Don’t you have class?”

 

“Class doesn’t start for another thirty minutes and I wanted to come see you because I haven’t seen you in more than a week,” she whined at her brother.  This caught Amber’s attention.

 

“By the way,” she said as she pulled away from her brother, “Dad says he wants to see you tonight.  And if you’re asking me, I’d like to have a meal with my brother too.”

 

Joohyuk wore an apologetic look as the other three friends kept their thoughts to themselves knowing fully well the nature of the situation.

 

“Sorry Jooyeon-ah.  And okay…I’ll come home tonight,” he flashed her a sincere smile as he pulled her in for a side hug.

 

The younger sister extended her pinky out followed by a request, “Promise?”

 

There was a heavy burden weighing in his chest that is deeply felt in that circle except for the innocent young girl.  Jooyeon on the other hand wanted nothing more than just a small promise for a meal with her family.  Yet Joohyuk’s mind sunk in a million heavy thoughts as he stared at her finger.

 

Amber took notice and endearingly patted her friend’s back, “Namjoo…Jooyeon’s waiting.”

 

This dug him back up to the present moment.  Curling his pinky around his sister’s, he shows her his resembling smile and delivers on his brotherly duties, pushing all thoughts and resentment towards his parents aside.  “Promise.”

 

Jooyeon mirrors with an innocent smile and no second later did her attention divert to the other three people in the circle.

 

Unlocking herself from her brother, he links arms with Kai and Irene and says, “Kai oppa, did I tell you how handsome you are?  You’re the most handsome person in this school.  And Irene unnie, if Kai oppa is the most handsome, you’re the school beauty.”  Managing to tug on Amber as well, she says, “And Amber unnie, aren’t you proud of me?  I am ranked 1st in my class right now just like my favorite smart unnie.”

 

The three friends were charmed of course.  Although they know this was her tactic, a way for her to score free ice cream, she was their Jooyeonie after all.  The endearing flattery always seemed to warm their hearts and they never held back in spoiling their dear dongsaeng.

 

Joohyuk, on the other hand, was not amused.  “Yah!  Here you go again.  Yah Nam Jooyeon, just go back to class.”

 

Irene began to pull the younger girl as she smirked, “Come Jooyeonie.  Let’s grab something quick before your class?”

 

Kai seconds the notion, “Should we get some ice cream?  Oppa will buy.”

 

As the two pulled her and began walking away, Jooyeon stuck her tongue out and cheekily winked at her brother.

 

“Yah!  Nam Jooyeon!”

 

Amber felt the affection.  Joohyuk’s endearing relationship with Jooyeon was something she always appreciated and envied.  The care that they all had for Jooyeon and the joy that it brought to their friendship was something that Amber secretly cherished.  That is why she can’t help herself be concerned when it comes to Joohyuk and the delicate subject regarding his family.

 

Joohyuk took one step towards the direction that Irene, Kai and Jooyeon headed but was immediately halted by the arm that blocked his chest.

 

“Namjoo…are you okay?  You haven’t been home for the past week?  Where have you been staying and why didn’t you tell me?”  Joohyuk now turned his body towards Amber while keeping a masked restraint on his facial expression.  Amber continued to prod, however, “Is it about the Olympic trials?  Did he say something about it again?  Did he—”

 

“Bro…” the corner of his lips curving upwards with his gentle smile, trained to deflect the worries of his best friend, he assures her, “I’m fine.  I promise.  I’ve been staying at Kai’s condo so there’s no need to worry.  And you know how my dad is…I promise I’m fine.  Kai’s condo is better as far as location.  I get to exercise around the area and it’s so much closer to the academy.”

 

Amber knows Joohyuk too well and doesn’t buy his lame excuses.  But Amber knows not to push it.  In the end, she conceded with an obvious unsatisfied sigh.

 

Joohyuk reassures her, “I’m going home tonight, don’t worry.”

 

And they leave it at that.  Despite the cloud that hung above the unresolved matter, Amber knew that Joohyuk’s compliance was good enough for now and Joohyuk was more than thankful.  Call Amber cold but she’s far from apathetic.  She cares too much for those she loves.  And even with Joohyuk, she cares enough to handle her words with him with the utmost sensitivity.  And to the same degree, Joohyuk respects her and confides in her likewise.  It was a mutual understanding that they have developed.  It was the kind of understanding built less with words but more with their actions.  The ten plus years they have called each other friends attests to that.

 

As they reached the entrance into the busy JL Academy café, they spot Irene and Jooyeon with their ice cream and Kai on the other side of the room.  Both Joohyuk and Amber focus their eyes on the person he was talking to.  And sure enough it was Krystal who was surrounded with her group of friends.  They both paused upon that realization.

 

For some inexplicable reason, the itch—the same itch she felt when Krystal looked at her in the eyes in the library episode, the same itch she felt when she agreed to Kai’s request, and the same itch she felt when she shook Krystal’s hand the other day—was back to pester the odd nooks and crannies of her afterthought, prompting her to pay more attention into trying to uncover the question as to why.

 

Joohyuk stole a glance of Amber and a snicker rushed only to escape his impish smile.  “He told you didn’t he?  That he’s into this girl?  And that’s why you’ve stayed quiet this whole time, huh?”

 

She let the questions marinate in her thoughts.  Joohyuk, however, took a great deal in embedding the expression on Amber’s face in his memory.  He couldn’t quite put a finger on it but there was a unique way in which Amber was staring…like she actually took more than a second of interest in something that usually passes under her radar.  He could also maybe just be reading into it too much.  Yet…he has every reason to believe, given his long history with his friend, that it is something more than just nothing.  His logic followed that whatever it was, the fact that Amber had quickly moved on from the library episode without taking any action and resuming to accommodate a partnership says a lot about the leverage this new girl possessed—possessed over Kai and surprisingly possessed over Amber.

 

“You know…I like this new you.  Nice actually looks good on you,” Joohyuk scratched at that itch.

 

Amber shot him a telling glare.  And with that comment, she definitely felt it—she felt the itch.

 


 

Hwang Mansion | 10.03.15 | 8:57am

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

So this is what the mansion looks like on a regular day.  As soon as I was dropped off at the front of Amber’s mansion, I was greeted by one of their butlers who ushered me to the front of the house.  There was no red carpet event this time but it certainly had the same formal services as though you were visiting the president himself.

 

The moment I stepped inside the household, the smell of eggs, bacon and pancakes filled the aroma.  An elderly housemaid directed me towards the stairs but was immediately halted by a familiar voice and figure.

 

“Krystal?  Is that you?”

 

How can I forget the one and only Michelle Hwang?  Aged gorgeously with almost the same eye-smile as her daughter, she definitely looked the part of a chairman’s wife—glamorous, prim, and proper, despite the apron wrapped around her waist.

 

“Good morning Mrs. Hwang.”  I bowed to greet her.

 

“Omo Soojung!  Please call me aunty,” she embraced me in a warm hug.  She took a step back and examined me while smiling.  She then added, “Wow.  Your parents and your sister talk about you so much and it’s true.  You have grown to be such a fine young lady.”

 

Shy and flattered, I bowed once again and responded, “Thank you aunty.”

 

She then untied her apron and handed it off to the elderly housemaid.  She then placed an arm around my shoulder and started pulling me towards the dining hall.  “Come.  I know it’s early morning so I’m assuming you haven’t had breakfast yet.  I made some pancakes, eggs and bacon.  I’m sure you probably miss the American breakfast so you should come join me.”

 

I was surprised to hear that aunty Michelle still does some cooking on her own though she has kitchen staffs to do all the cooking for her and the family.  And it’s true that I haven’t had a sufficient breakfast and an American breakfast for a long time at that.  I grabbed a granola bar on my way rushing out and ate in the car.  But I am here for our meeting and I’m looking at my watch and it says it’s 9am.  Amber was clear that she’s expecting me not to be late.

 

“Aunty, thanks for the offer but I’m here to meet Amber and she—”

 

“Nonsense.  All that you kids do these days is study and study.  I made breakfast and I would be really upset if you don’t try my special American breakfast,” aunt Michelle jokingly pouted, “Besides, don’t worry about Amber.  She needs to have breakfast first anyways.”

 

She turned to the elderly housemaid and said, “Seol, can you tell Amber to come down please.  Tell her that I’m asking her to join me for breakfast.”

 

The housemaid smiled, bowed, excused herself to go upstairs.

 

“And while we are having breakfast, you can tell me about how Korea has been for you.  Your parents mentioned how much you love California and how hard it was for you to move back to Korea in your last year of high school.  And for that I should apologize on behalf of JL Group and mostly on behalf of your uncle James.”

 

“Aunty Michelle, oh my god, you don’t need to apologize.  Yes, I miss California but I’m happy that I’m here with my family.  I get to see my sister, meet new people and dad said if I get into Harvard then it’s something that he’s not going to stop me from doing.”

 

We reached their massive dining hall and sat at one end where the food and plate setting that was already prepared for us.  Aunt Michelle sat at the head of the table while I sat next to her.

 

“Well I’m sure you will not have any problem getting into Harvard.  Your father speaks highly of you and is confident that you’ll be able to get in.”

 

Smiling, I nodded my head in appreciation.

 

“So Krystal…how’s you experience at the academy so far?”  At this point, we were getting  our breakfast served to us by some of the kitchen staff housemaid.

 

As I thought about her question, my mind immediately drifted to my recent run-ins with the so called Top Elites and particularly her daughter.  I began to answer, “Actually—”

 

“Aunty I’m not really hungry…” another voice entered the room, “Besides I’m suppose to have a meeting—”  Myself and aunt Michelle directed our attention at Amber who stopped at mid sentence upon realizing my presence in the dining table with her mother.

 

She wore a hint of confusion and shock as she stared at me for the next five seconds.  I probably reciprocated somewhat the same expression.

 

Finally, aunt Michelle finally broke the ice, “Ahem.  Would you like to sit down Amber?”

 

Amber slowly walks over to the other side of the table keeping the same questioning look and sat next to aunt Michelle, which is also the seat across from mine.  Still with a perplexed look drawn on her face, she directs her question at me, “What…are…you…doing here?”

 

Aunt Michelle reaches over the table and pinches her daughter’s arm, “Is that how I taught you to greet people?”

 

“Ow!  That hurt!”

 

Chuckling from the motherly affection, I watched as aunty answered with a grin on her face, “I made your favorite: pancakes and bacon.  So if you’re going to be rude just eat your breakfast quietly while Soojung and I catch up.”

 

She flashed another confused look towards me but obliged her mother’s demand.  The rest of the conversation throughout this breakfast had the same undertone.  Aunt Michelle has the same gregarious personality I remember uncle James and Tiffany unnie also possessing.  She asked me a lot of questions about my life, family, school, California and my move to Korea.  Aunt Michelle will tease Amber here and there and I would witness their very affectionate banters.  Amber mostly listened, throwing a sarcastic remark directed towards aunty only to be returned with the same sass.  It was actually endearing to watch.  From this momentary observation, I could tell how much aunty loved and cherished her adopted daughter.  It’s also interesting to have an opportunity to see a little bit into the life of one of most famous and arguably richest family in Korea.  And what I’m seeing is far from those dramatic chaebol TV dramas.  They were surprisingly very ordinary in a sense that they were normal in how they treat each other as family.

 

After finishing up breakfast, I looked at the clock and it was close to 10am.  Amber, after placing her napkin on the plate, turned to aunty Michelle and said, “Thanks for the breakfast.  For the record, you’re still my favorite cook in this house.”  For the first time, finally, I got to see Amber genuinely smile.

 

Aunt Michelle reached over and padded Amber's cheek dotingly and said, “You’re welcome.  And thank you for having breakfast with me.”

 

Like I said, to me, watching the mother and daughter interact was fascinating.  This was a soft side of Amber that I didn’t expect she had.

 

Aunt Michelle then turned towards me, “I know you two have a lot to get done so I’ll stop talking your ear off.”  She then turned towards Amber once again and said with a firm yet endearing tone, “And you young lady, be nice, be kind and behave.”

 


 

I followed Amber to her study, which is pretty much a big personal library.  The fact that she calls a place like this her study is something I’m not even surprised by.  I followed her to the couches and sat down across from her.

 

Now that aunt Michelle wasn’t here to mitigate the conversation, an awkward shroud came and engulfed us.

 

I stole a glance at Amber who had her arms and legs crossed who looked at me with her neutral face.  The soft sided Amber that was present a moment ago is long gone.  And it was back-to-business, cold, and neutral Amber who sat across from me.

 

Another awkward minute of silence and she finally heaved a long sigh.  She leaned forward and pulled out a folder from underneath a stack of books on the tea table in front of us.  In a very civil and polite tone, she broke the silence, “So…I’m not going to pull the same stunt I did two weeks ago.  But…this is an idea that I’ve had in mind for a while,” she pointed at the folder.  “If you have ideas on what project you want to do, of course, let’s talk about it.  But…look into this folder, read a bit, and keep an open mind too as you think about this proposal.”

 

This was definitely far from her hostile demeanor last time.  She was very subtle and carefylly laced her tone delicately and came off very non-threatening.  Again…I was surprised.  So I took her suggestion and kept an open mind and picked up the folder in front of me and began scanning the pages.

 

As expected of the number one ranked student of JL Academy, Amber sure does not miss any details and has thoroughly thought through this project already.  But the most surprising thing about this project proposal that caught me very off-guard was the content of what the proposal entailed.  It was a fundraising campaign to raise money for a specific orphanage while raising awareness for the child and infant abandonment issue in South Korea amongst the starkly differing demographic in the JL Academy circles.

 

“An orphanage?”

 

Amber responded, “This is a project that I’ve been planning for a long time even before the year began.”

 

I examined her for a second placing the open folder on the tea table.  With the same soft tone, leaning in closer to the table towards me, she continued, “Like I said, if you have other ideas, we can talk about it.  But this is an idea that I’m just simply proposing not imposing.  Now…as my partner…what do you think?”

 

Something fluttered in my chest.  You know when someone is looking at you with their soul, with that complete authenticity they’re exposing.  Their gaze is convincingly packaged with meekness yet passion and it’s almost mesmerizing because for once, pretense is far from the space you’re sharing.  That’s exactly how I can describe the sincerity in Amber’s question and stare.

 

So before I allow myself to get lost anymore in the way she has framed that question with her expression, I took the folder and perused through the pages to take a second to gathered my composure.  I thought about her question.

 

“What do you think?”

 

Quick Krystal, get a hold of yourself.  What do I think?  What do I think?  Hmm…  About her?  About this project?  Stick to the project.  So about the project…Umm…what do I think?

 

Clearing my throat and opened my mouth to talk, “W-Well…umm…I think this idea is great.  But…why this particular orphanage?”

 

Same tone, same realness.  “Let’s just say I have a connection with this orphanage.”

 

“Okay…since you want to help them so bad, wouldn’t it be easier for the JL Group heiress to leverage her own pocket and her influence to do that?”

 

She let out another long sigh before answering, “It is and I have.  Uncle James and aunt Michelle have given substantial amount to this orphanage in the past.  But that’s not the point here, Krystal…”

 

I think that was first time I’ve ever heard her say my name.

 

“Once you get to know this orphanage and the humble people that run it, you’ll understand that money is not something that they carelessly milk from people in our world…And as for people like us, it is easier to just throw money like that.  But it’s another thing—another kind of generosity to give your time.  It’s a higher kind of charity to give your heart.”

 

She rendered me speechless.  I mean…what else are you suppose to say to that?

 

After a moment of silence, I looked at her with the same sincerity.  “You got my approval.  I’m on board in this project with you.  But I want to see, I want to know, and I want you to show me.”

 

She tapped on the table without leaving my stare.  “Okay…next Saturday, make sure to dress warm and dress comfortable.  Meet me here at 8am.”

 

END OF KRYSTAL POV


 

IRENE POV

 

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

 

That’s the seventh missed call.

 

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

 

*Ring* *Ring* *Ring*

 

Just think about Amber.  Irene, just deal with it.

 

I swiped the screen to answer and held the phone to my ear nervous to hear the voice from the other end.

 

“Finally you answered,” the eerie tone sent chills down my spine.

 

In a brittle breath, I demanded, “What do you want?”

 

He had the same sinister cackle that only had ill intentions behind it.  After exhaling deeply, he answered, “You already know what I want.”

 

My heart sank cold.  I closed my eyes pushing the memories away while trying to keep my composure.  “Listen Mino—”

 

“Irene look…here’s the deal with human nature.”  There was a silent pause on the other end.

 

“We choose who and what we want to protect.  So choose.  Her or yourself?”

 

END OF IRENE POV


 

Hwang Mansion | 10.10.15 | 7:51am

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

Is it weird that I looked forward to this day this whole week?

 

Amber was gone the whole week and according campus rumor mill, she was jet setting with uncle James to sit in different board meetings.  Surprisingly, she texted me on the day we had our Independents Study Class.

 

From:  Amber

Krystal, this is Amber.  I won’t be in our class today but I sent you an email of our project proposal.  Feel free to place your input that you deem appropriate.  See you Saturday.

 

Very formal, succinct and to the point.  Nevertheless, I appreciated the notice.

 

As my car pulled up to the front of the Hwang Mansion, I found Amber actually out in the front, loading things onto the back of the black Range Rover.  I approached her as I got out.

 

“Hey,” I greeted her first.

 

As she closed the trunk of Range Rover, she turned her whole body towards me.  She was dressed in casual fitted jeans with a loose red flannel underneath her thick heavy outerwear jacket and a pair of light Nike trainers to complete the look.  I’m starting to think that this is going to be an interesting adventure wherever the place it is we may be going.

 

“Good morning,” she answered.  She scanned me up and down with her eyes leaving the space between us a little bit awkward.  I still don’t know how to read Amber sometimes.  Her neutral demeanor still had a thick layer of mystery which I think she has intentionally purposed to keep people from an arm’s length distance.

 

A guy that looked like an oppa approached us after placing a bag inside the backseat of the car.  He showed me a friendly smile and bowed.

 

“Everything is set Amber-ssi,” he directed to Amber.

 

“Thanks chief.  By the way, Chief Donghae oppa, this is Krystal Jung.  Krystal this is my chief executive assistant Donghae oppa.”  He bowed to me while extended his hand.

 

“It’s a pleasure Miss Jung.”

 

I shook his hand and told him, “Please call me Soojung.”

 

After the formal greeting, he turned to Amber once again and asked, “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive with you?”

 

Scoffing lightheartedly, Amber patted Chief Donghae’s shoulder and answered, “You really want to spend your Saturday with me after having to follow me around the world the past week?”

 

Donghae smiled but didn’t answer Amber’s question.

 

“Go home chief.  I’ll see you on Monday.”

 

Chief Donghae bowed and said, “I’ll see you Monday Amber-ssi.”

 

After that exchange, Amber faced me once again and the awkwardness was back filling the next ten seconds gap.  Clearing , she pointed at her car, “You ready?”

 


 

The car ride was quiet.  Amber drove while I was in the passenger seat.  It was awkward to say the least.  Since it takes a third person to alleviate the awkward atmosphere, I figured I would just take the time to catch up on sleep.  Don’t get me wrong…I tried making small talks but it just wasn’t feeling right…

 

“So…how was your trip?”

 

“Good.”

 

“So the rumor is true?  You were traveling with your uncle?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Did you see the email I sent you?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Are you okay with the changes I made?”
 

“Yeah…thanks.”

 

I ended the small talk with that last two-word reply.  I consider hearing more than one syllable from Amber as victory.  And with that battle behind me, I closed my eyes to have a more meaningful use of my time.

 

The next moment followed me waking up after a two-hour nap.

 

I heard her lightly chuckle.  She then said in a very astute tone, “Perfect timing.”

 

I rubbed my eyes, slightly embarrassed at my groggy state, and took a moment to glance at Amber before getting captivated by the scenery around me.

 

“Where are we?”

 

“Jeonju.”

 

I don’t think I’ve ever been here before.  The place was beautiful and looked something like pages from our history books.  Even as we took an uphill trail towards a secluded village, I was mesmerized by the richness and the timelessness of Jeonju.

 

I knew we arrived at the orphanage when I read the big sign in front of the gate that said “Hope Orphanage”.  There was a large wooden Hanok house, which is the traditional house in Korea back in the day.  There were small huts that were built surrounding it but only a few I'm guessing for other uses for utility.  To the back side of the house was a huge field that I’m assuming is where the kids would probably play.  And as soon as we arrived, I couldn’t forget the smiling faces of the children who came out rushing towards the car.

 

Amber got out of the car and I followed slowly and observed the next moments.  And then there it was again—a side of Amber that I don’t usually see but a side that I’m definitely starting to admire.

 

She rushed to the kids and gave them a hug one by one, calling them and greeting them by each of their names.  This leads me to believe that Amber is more than just a spontaneous visitor in this orphanage.  She was at ease…kind of like the same aura that she gave off with aunt Michelle.  It's not a farfetch statement to even say that this is place and these people are probably family to her.  Why?  I can see it...the coldness, the mystery, the awkwardness, and the neutrality couldn’t be any further from the person who is standing in front of me.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...


 

Author's Note

I'm on spring break that's why I am able to update.  I apologize for long waits.  School is just a killer but ya'll understand right?

Anyways, this chapter is heavy Kryber so I hope that makes up for it somehow lol.

If you can tell, it's mostly from Krystal's perspective and her getting insight into Amber's world.

So stay tuned for next chapter where I hope to expose a little bit of Amber's POV.

Again I'm sorry for long waits.  Life is life and I gotta do what I gotta do.

- Z