CHAPTER 2

Young & Free

Seoul, Korea | 09.14.15 | 7:45am

 

Paper Hearts | Tori Kelly

 

I miss you…

 

She looks at her phone screen and particularly eyes the ‘send’ button.

 

Amber laid comfortably on the four cushioned chairs she has strategically positioned to create an adult-size crib.   Lying down adjacent to the glass wall that overlooked the soccer field of the academy, she is found in her marked territory, the quiet corner of the school library, where she spent the majority of her time last school year.  Same position.  Same condition.  Same question.  Same text message.  Same blue ‘send’ button.

 

The song playing in her ear only fostered the constricting sensation in her chest as she has found herself sunk into the same deep conundrum. 

 

I hate this part, paper heart

And I’ll hold a piece of yours

Don’t think I would just forget about it

Hoping that you won’t forget about it

 

The melody and the potency of each word sent her thoughts into a very familiar trail.  And just in seconds, she’s playing the head vs. the heart game.  Should I send it?  Should I not?  Should I just go for it?  Should I not?

 

But in this battle between the two forces that make up her meaningful existence, for Amber…the head prevails…every single time.  Hence…Same position.  Same condition.  Same question.  Same answer.

 

She holds her thumb down on the ‘delete’ button, turns off her phone, and presses it on the table face down.  She lets out a long telling sigh as she runs the tips of her fingers through her brown hair.

 

After a quiet minute passed, there was another girl, perhaps the only other girl, who boast full access into Amber’s delicate uncharted territory.  She enters the hidden nook of this library and finally spots the one she was looking for.  She smiles as she makes her way towards the handsome, yet seemingly troubled prince in her makeshift bed.

 

She knocks on the table to make her presence known and leans against it as she’s staring down at Amber.  “I knew I’d find you here.”

 

Amber sits up as she sees JL Academy’s goddess smiling brightly in front of her.  Amber flashes her a smile, really a mere twitch at the corner of her upper lip, and chuckles, “You found me.”

 

Irene extends her hand out and says, “Come on.  Class starts in a few minutes.  We don’t want to be late for the first class of our senior year.”

 


 

Seoul, Korea | 09.14.15 | 7:30am

 

Luxury cars poured from left and right at the front of the gated establishment.  Today marked the beginning of another school year at JL Academy and high expectations and piqued excitement filled the glorious air of this esteemed institution.  As each arrive in their polished blue blazers and khaki bottoms, the students naturally assimilate and navigate their way through the impressive campus property.

 

Well…all except for one.

 

Krystal takes her first step toward the main campus and was immediately overwhelmed by the vastness of the buildings in front of her.  She feels mildly intimidated, which is the first in a really long time when it came to school.  She carefully takes one last look at the campus map in her hand to memorize the general outline of the blueprint before folding it and slipping it away in her pocket.

 

She takes one deep breath as she ventures into this new unknown.  Preparing herself while running through her confidence booster speech in her mind, she places one foot in front of the other and whispers, “Well…  Here we go…”

 


 

KRYSTAL POV

 

To be honest, I am really nervous right now.  I didn’t expect JL Academy to be this massive.  I didn’t expect it to be this crowded either.  Thank God I was able to get a hold of Sulli before today so I could at least have one person to help me as a buffer.  But there are just a few small issues…I’ve only seen pictures of Sulli and only have a memory of what she looked like from our childhood.  To make matters even more challenging, I look around me and it’s a sea of students wearing the same uniform.  Oh, if I may add, I also don’t really know exactly where I am going.

 

Nervous as I bit my bottom lip, I found at least the entrance of the high school building.  Immediately as I entered, my parents’ voice rung in my ear, “JL Academy is in another league of its own.”  Indeed that’s true.

 

Although Harbor High School boasts as a top tiered high school in California, I have to admit, judging the look, smell, and features of this state-of-the-art campus, you can immediately sense how prestige is taken seriously on this hallowed ground.  The grand foyer with the large towering clock, the timeless art pieces that hung on the walls, the ultramodern structures, and lavish furniture screamed South Korea’s most affluent and JL Group’s prominence.  And get this, the students that roamed the poshed halls of this high school sported their regular uniforms with conspicuous articles of designer brands.  The difference is the subtle accessories and the authentic leather that places this student population clearly on another level of class.  So far, I haven’t spotted one person who is not wearing either a Louboutin, a Jimmy Choo, a Gucci or a Saint Laurent at the bottom of their soles.  This is no ordinary high school for any ordinary person.  For once, I am thankful and less resentful that my family is at least above the average of the ordinary.  But at this particular point in time, I’m still the new student and I think the other kids are starting to notice too.

 

Ignoring the slight stares casted my way, I scoped the foyer and just hoped to God that I’ll find Sulli soon.  I walked towards the big sign that read “Senior Wing” and assumed that I’m heading the right direction.  As I look around me, it was quite obvious that I looked new, like a tourist captivated by the environment.  People were staring me down as they passed by and although my Korean needs a bit of polishing, I could hear and catch their light murmurs that were centered around me.

 

Okay Sulli, where are you?

 

“Jung Soojung?!  Is that you?!”

 

That voice.  Oh God, thank God!

 

I turned around towards the direction of the sound and sure enough, there she was—way taller than the last time I saw her, yet as bright and lively as the Sulli I’ve always known her to be.

 

“Sulli-ah?!  Oh my god!”  I perked up as I rushed towards her to engulf her in a hug.

 

Light squeals and hug squeezes were a must.  I can’t believe how beautiful she has grown up.  Those were my first thought as I took a good look at her.

 

Mimicking the same thoughts, she pulls back and cups my face, “Oh my god.  I can’t believe this is really you.  I’ve seen pictures and thought how different, yet beautiful you look but I must say…Oh my god, Krystal, you are twenty times more gorgeous in person!”

 

I blushed and chuckled from her compliment.  “I have to say the same thing about you!  Sull—oh my gosh, you have no idea how happy I am that I found you!”

 

“Me too!  I’m glad you’re here.  And on behalf of JL Academy…Welcome!”

 

“Thanks, Sulli.  I was starting to feel unwelcomed from all the stares that I was getting,” I told her jokingly.

 

She lets out that same Sulli-snort that I remember from when we were kids.  Her laugh is so contagious that I couldn’t keep myself from getting giddy.  It was such a relief to find her the same peppy, playful, and sparkly Sulli that I remembered.

 

She linked her arms with mine and pulled me further into the hallway.  She says, “Ah those kids…don’t worry about them.  They see the new beautiful girl in school so of course they’re gonna stare at you.  Just take it as a compliment.”  She joked.

 

I could always count on Sulli to boost my self-esteem.

 

“Come, I’ll take you around the school.  But first…let’s get coffee.”

 


 

7:45am

 

Sulli took me to the campus café that was literally a coffee shop built into the school.  We got our morning coffees and Sulli began touring me around the high school building.  She assisted me to the administrative office to get my necessary paperwork and my student I.D.  As we walked around with our coffees at hand, she pointed out the different classrooms and amenities that was a part of the building like the library, the music room and the auditorium.  We obviously didn’t have time to take a full tour but at least she has already shown me the basics: the locker hallway, the restrooms and the Senior Wing classrooms.

 

As Sulli helped me get situated with my new locker, a girl and two guys approached us.

 

“Sulli-ah!  Where have you been all morning?  And wow, thanks for thinking of me when you got coffee at the café.”  The eccentric, high fashion, looking guy nudged and sarcastically jested with Sulli.

 

As the other guy and the girl took a full glance of the stranger in their circle, they gasped in sync.  I don’t know if that was a good thing or not.

 

“Please Key, your coffee addiction is the least of my worries because there are more important things to address, such as…Guys! I want you all to meet my childhood friend I’ve been telling you about.”  Sulli pulled me closer while I flashed them a smile.  Sulli continued with the introductions, “This is Krystal Jung Soojung.  Krystal, this is Luna,” she pointed at the cute girl first.   Then she pointed at the eccentric guy, “Forgive him of his ill-manners but this is Kim Kibum, otherwise known as Key.”  Finally, “And this guy with the dinosaur features is none other than Kim Jonghyun.”

 

“Wow!  You didn’t tell us your childhood friend is an angel sent from heaven,” the Jonghyun guy who was holding a soccer ball cheekily teased and was immediately met with a side jab from the girl, Luna.

 

She added, “Jong that’s just greasy.”

 

Luna turned her attention to me and extended her hand out to shake mine, “Don’t mind him, he got hit by that soccer ball way too hard this morning.  But it’s nice to meet you Krystal Jung Soojung.”

 

“Girl…” the Key guy wore a serious expression while he rubbed his chin.  He seemed to be scanning me while he circled around me.  Then suddenly he slung his arm around my shoulder and excitedly told me, “I can tell…we’re gonna be really good friends.  Your style is just my style.”

 

Sulli pulled him away from me, telling them, “Can you two at least try to be normal for the first two minutes of meeting someone?  Seriously, you’re gonna freak her out!”

 

I told Sulli and the others, “It’s okay Sulli, it takes a lot to freak me out.  You guys can call me Krystal or Soojung; I’m use to both.  I’m really glad to meet you guys.  And to be honest, I’m less nervous now thanks to you all.”

 

“See Sulli, we’re not freaking her out,” Key added.

 

I couldn’t help but smile.  I huge part of me found solace in meeting these new people.  They’re the kind of people I didn’t expect here at all.  They seemed…normal, unpretentious and…fun.

 

Our small conversation carried on and I was starting to feel less tense from when I first arrived.  Also, I quickly learned about these guys.

 

Luna is the daughter of a renowned neurosurgeon who is also the Director of Neurology from the prominent Hanshin Hospital.  Luna says she’ll most likely follow the path of her father in the medical arena.

 

PARK SUNYOUNG (LUNA)

Class Rank: 5th

Family / Business Association:  Hanshin Hospital

Friends:  Choi Jinri (Sulli), Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kimbum (Key)

Status:  Upper Class

Notes:  Daughter of a renowned surgeon

 

Key’s father, on the other hand, owns the largest accounting firm in Korea.  Key immediately dismissed the idea of becoming an accountant and taking over his father’s firm.  He says he doesn’t care much for his family’s strong disproval of his plans but he wants to pursue his dreams to become a fashion designer no matter what.  I actually really respect that.

 

KIM KIBUM (KEY)

Class Rank: 61st

Family / Business Associaition: Kim Family

Friends: Choi Jinri (Sulli), Kim Jonghyun, Park Sunyoung (Luna)

Status:  Average

Notes:  Wants to be a fasion designer; fashion icon of JL Academy

 

And Jonghyun here is the son of a reputed prosecutor.  He shared that he doesn’t know what he wants to do after he graduates yet and right now his life’s focus is to make it into the varsity team of JL Academy’s soccer team this year.

 

KIM JONGHYUN

Class Rank:  54th

Family / Business Association: Kim Family

Friends:  Choi Jinri (Sulli), Kim Kibum (Key) Park Sunyoung (Luna)

Status:  Average

Notes:  Son of a prosecutor; soccer player

 

And by the way I guess I should tell you, Sulli’s father is the CEO of Choi Consulting, the largest consulting firm in Korea.  That’s how I’ve come to know Sulli.  Around the time we were kids, JL Group hired Choi Consulting for their services and Sulli’s father and my father got to work with each other a lot in the R&D Department for a year.  Our dads seemingly got close during and after the project and so Sulli and I got acquainted with each other rather quickly through family and company dinners.  And pretty much we’ve kept in touch ever since.

 

“By the way Jonghyun,” Sulli poked Jonghyun, “What are the chances of you making it to varsity this year and actually getting some playing time?  Aren’t tryouts this week?”

 

Jonghyun began to juggle the soccer ball and said, “Sulli, you’re looking at one of JL Academy’s star player this season.  So if I were you, I would be getting my autograph right now.”  Jonghyun waved and blew kisses at the lowerclassmen girls who were walking by, earning us quite a laugh, as those girls reacted more mortified than impressed.

 

“Stop that.  That is so embarrassing.  I don’t understand how we’re still friends,” Key quipped ensuing more giggles.

 

“Number one, you guys love me, just admit it,” Jonghyun countered.  “And number two,” he began juggling the soccer ball with his feet to demonstrate his point, “This is gonna be my year in soccer.”  He was juggling the ball skillfully but as he hit the ball crookedly, the ball flew towards my direction and it was like déja vu—time slowed down all over again.

 

But this time…time didn’t slow down quite as much and my reaction time wasn’t as swift.  I managed to duck my head, though my ducking had no effect on the trajectory of the ball.  And before I knew it, the ball strikes the hand I was holding my coffee with, leaving the drink in gravity’s fate once again.

 

There were gasps that can be heard echoing through the halls of the wing.  I opened my eyes and searched for the final destination of my coffee only to regrettably find it on yet another person’s face and clothes.  Why does this keep happening?

 

It felt like time stopped once again but actually…everyone was frozen for at least a good five seconds instead that you could probably hear a pin drop reverberate through the hallway.

 

I scanned him (he was wearing a guy’s uniform so I assumed it was a ‘he’) and the events were very reminiscent of my last incident.  He first wiped his eyes, then his lips, then his entire face as he combed his hair back.  And as I stared at him more carefully…no effing way.

 

Her faced immediately scrunched as she realized the same thing.  With a sardonic tone, she groused, “You...  Again?!”

 

I was rendered speechless because what are the odds and chances of the same situation occurring within seven days?

 

Immediately, Jonghyun stepped in and apologized, “A-Amber…I-I’m sor-ry…i-it’s m-my fault…”  Jonghyun was bowing incessantly as he continued his apology.

 

The Amber girl then shifted her stare towards Jonghyun.  I didn’t notice it earlier because things were transpiring so fast but I now just took notice of the really pretty girl that was standing next to her.  I also noticed the tightening ball of the Amber girl’s fist as though she was ready explode.

 

The pretty girl then reached for the Amber girl’s hand and pulled her behind.  She turned towards Jonghyun with the added sorry smile and mitigated the situation, “Jonghyun, let’s be careful next time.”  She then turned around to face the Amber girl, holding her back, as she kept her hands pressed on her balled fist.  “Let’s go, I’ll help you change.  I know you have extra clothes in your locker.  It’s best if we just walk away.”

 

Out of nowhere two guys came from behind the Amber girl.  The taller, athletically built guy placed a hand on her shoulder while the other scanned the situation eyeing Jonghyun and the others.  The taller guy asked, “What’s going on here?  Whoa Amber, what happened?!”

 

The pretty girl controlled the situation to stifle their reactions, “Don’t worry about it Joohyuk, Kai.  I’ve taken care of it.”  Pulling the Amber girl out of the circle, she added, “Let’s go.”  The two guys looked at each other in confusion, shrugged their shoulders and followed suit.

 

After they disappeared into the corner, I felt the immediate release of stress and tension not just from my body but also from the rest of the people who just witnessed the episode.  I’m not entirely sure the air that followed those four people but judging by the large sighs escaping from my four new friends, I reckon that those weren’t just ordinary people we just encountered.

 

“Yah!” Luna bopped Jonghyun on the head, “I can’t believe you did that!  You should be thankful for Irene.  If it weren’t for her, Amber would have probably kicked your .”

 

Jonghyun even chided himself in frustration, “Aish!”

 

Sulli playfully jabbed him and pulled him in a side hug.  Trying to lighten the atmosphere, she joked, “Well…you can say goodbye to your high school soccer career.  You have managed to piss off the best friend of the actual star player and captain of the team.”

 

Throwing a fit as he slapped his own head, “Aish!  Dammit!  This !  I hope Joohyuk won’t hold this against me!”

 


 

IRENE POV

 

I stood next to Amber as she rinsed the coffee mess from her face and her hair.  We were in girls restroom and thankfully when we got there it was vacant.

 

Over the years as I have become one of Amber’s close friends, I have learned how to deal with situations similar to the one that just happened.  I’m just happy that it didn’t escalate further and was very proud of how Amber has kept her cool.

 

She twisted the knob of the sink while I handed her a face towel.  After drying her face, I heard her murmur, “I can’t believe this happened again…”  She added a light chuckle that mocked the current episode.  Am I missing something here?  What does she mean by ‘again’?

 

“Huh?  What are you talking about?” I asked her.

 

She turned her body towards me and dodged my question, “Nothing…”

 

Flashing me her faint smile, and trust me when I say they come very rarely, she placed her hand on my shoulder and squeezed, “Thanks.”  I felt my insides buzz upon her expressed gratitude.

 

Moreover, I flashed her a smile, relieved that she has calmed down already.  I reached for the bag of clothes I grabbed from her locker and handed it to her, “Here are your extra clothes.  Go ahead and get changed, Am.”

 

“Thanks.  And you can go ahead Irene.  I’ll follow as soon as I change.”

 

“No, I can wait for you, it’s not a problem.”

 

“No, you go ahead.  It’s the first day of school and I don’t want you to be late since you’re the class president.  Plus, it would be nice if you could give our professor a heads up about me.”

 

“Are you sure?  It’s really not a big deal and—”

 

“I’m sure.”  Amber reached for my hand and I felt my heartbeat increasing.  “You go ahead.”

 

Holding her hand, which has been a common thing for me to do lately, releases the nervous surges through my body in full throttle…in a good way though.

 

I took a step closer and examined her ever-so-neutral face and asked, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

Her upper lip curled as she squeezed my hand again and replied, “I promise I’m okay…thanks to you.”

 

I didn’t need to say more.  I took my leave and headed for our classroom.  As I walked through the hallway I couldn’t help but clasp my hands together as I bit my lower lip to contain my burgeoning smile.  I don’t know why but…Amber has a way of making me feel like this…like there are always butterflies dancing around my stomach.

 

I don’t care much for what other people say nor think about my group of friends and I.  But if there’s one known fact about our high school and particularly about Amber and I is that I’m the only girl who she has allowed to enter into her very small circle, other than of course…Tiffany, her sister.  Out of the many girls that dream to be next to her, less wish to grab her attention, I’m the only one who actually has and can.

 

Maybe this year will be the year that I make that even clearer.

 


 

8:00am

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

Although I was off to a rocky start this morning, Sulli assured me not to worry about it.  The rest of the gang seemed to have already adjusted back to normal after the slight coffee incident from earlier.

 

I situated myself in my first class, sitting next to Sulli and Luna with Key and Jonghyun right behind us.  As more of our classmates poured into the classroom, our professor did too and began his introductions.

 

“Welcome seniors to your first day of school!”  The professor stood in front of the class.  He bore the typical professor characteristics, a middle-aged guy with thick-rimmed glasses, and dressed in a nice suit.  “And welcome to your 1st period class—International Economics.”

 

The class cooed in a grumble, “Awww.”

 

Luna leaned over and whispered, “Professor Lee is one of the hardest graders here at the Academy.  And this Inter-Econ class is infamous for being one of the hardest classes for seniors.”  That explains the dreadful tone in my fellow classmate’s voice.

 

“Ah, but before we start.  We have a new student.”  He motioned towards me while extending his hand, prompting me to stand up to make my introduction.  He looks down at his clipboard then examined me closer, “Krystal Jung Soojung?  Am I right?  Come on up.”

 

I slowly stood up and felt twenty set of eyes now following my every movement.  I looked at Sulli who gave me a wink and thumbs up as she quietly cheered, “Soojung fighting!”

 

I approached the front of the classroom and slowly turned around to face my new classmates.  I admit, I was slightly intimidated and I was nervous.  These are natural biochemical reactions that occur in one’s system if exposed to new environments--at least that’s what I’ve been telling my mind so that I can get hold of myself and breathe.

 

I took a deep breath, smiled at the room of people whose attention were fixed on the impending words that will come shortly out of my mouth and bowed in the typical Korean fashion.

 

“Hello everybody, my name is Kry—”

 

The back door of the classroom suddenly opened and in comes the Amber girl, shifting everyone’s attention including the professors to the back of the room.

 

The Amber girl scans the room and lands her gaze on the professor.  The professor immediately stood straight and with a careful tone said, “Nice of you to join us Amber.  You may take your seat.”

 

She dully greeted the professor back by tipping her head.  Pfft.  Typical.

 

She takes a seat at the corner of the back classroom next to the two guys from earlier.  I watched as she sat down quietly, pulling an earphone from her pocket as she diverted her attention to the windows, showing a complete lack of interest in what was happening in the classroom.

 

The professor then turned his attention back towards me as the class also did.  “Continue on Ms. Jung.  Tell us your name, where you’re from, and one interesting fact about you.”

 

I cleared my throat and stole a quick glance at the Amber girl who still paid no attention or care for the class.  Pfft.  Whatever.

 

I reverted my attention towards my other classmates and introduced myself, “Hello.  My name is Krystal Jung Soojung.  You can call me Krystal or Soojung.  I’m from Newport Beach, California.  And one interesting fact…”  I was stumped by this question.  In this moment, my mind went blank, therefore, I just said whatever the first thing that came to my mind, “I’m allergic to apples and cucumbers.  But I like mangoes.”

 

Oh god, someone shoot me.  I sound like an elementary student.

 

After an awkward two-second pause, Key announced, “Everyone clap!  Woo!  Krystal, welcome to the best senior class of JL Academy’s history!”

 

And sure enough the whole class did clap as instigated by Key, which made me feel really grateful for him.  I embarrassingly nodded my head at my classmates and after the clapping died down, the professor added, “Irene, where are you?”  The professor pointed at the pretty girl from earlier and asked her to stand.

 

“Krystal, this is Irene.  She is the class president.  If you have any questions, she is someone you can go to.”

 

Flashing her stunning smile at me, she bowed and added, “Nice to meet you Krystal.  And yes, you can come to me for any questions you may have.”

 

I bowed in respect of her gesture and reciprocated the same polite mannerism, “Thank you.”

 


 

11:30am

 

The bell rung, dismissing us from a long—too long—class period of International Economics.

 

“Oh my gosh, I thought I was going to rot in that classroom!”  Sulli exaggerated, as she pulled me out of the door.

 

“Nope.  I can’t do it.  If this is what our senior year is going to look like…nope.  Not doing it.  I might as well drop out now,” Key grumbled.

 

“Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad,” Luna said.  I agree with Luna.  It was long but it wasn’t that bad.  Yeah…the material was a little dry and dense but I’ve always found economics interesting.

 

Sulli nudged Luna as she mimicked her, “’It wasn’t that bad?’  Yeah, okay, Miss Number-Five-Ranked-I-Might-As-Well-Be-A-Top-Elite student of our class.”

 

Luna giggled and insisted, “You guys are exaggerating. It wasn’t that bad, right Soojung?”
 

I nodded my head in affirmation and said, “Yeah…it wasn’t that bad.”

 

“Oooh…Pretty and smart,” Jonghyun teased.  “Do I sense a threat to the sacred and insurmountable wall of the Elites with you Krystal?”

 

I looked at him confusedly, “What are you talking about?”

 

“Ah!  Thanks for reminding me Jonghyun!  You are useful after all.”  Sulli interjected as she playfully and mockingly patted the top of Jonghyun’s head.  She then turned to me and said, “I think now would be the best time to explain some things to you about…I guess…the culture and hierarchy of this school.”

 

Why am I not surprised that such a thing exists in this school?

 

“Come…” Sulli linked her arm around mine once again and pulled me towards the school dining hall and began her explanation.

 

“Okay…listen up.  You need to take some mental notes of some important things that govern the student body here at JL Academy to be able to navigate your way through politics embedded in the system…”

 

“There are three tiers of hierarchy here at JL Academy.  The bottom tier consist of the ‘average’ students of our class,” she used her fingers as quotations.  “The ‘average’ student population consist of the bottom 80%, basically students that rank 21 to 100.”  She leaned in to jokingly whisper, “Exhibit A: Key and Jonghyun.”

 

“Yah, we heard that!”

 

Sulli continued, “But as you’ve come to probably observe, the ‘average’ student population are still sons and daughters of the top one percent of society.  Really…there are no ‘average’ students here at JL Academy.  They are only considered average because of the caliber of their academic performance.”

 

It makes sense so far.

 

“Next you have the Upper Class tier.  Rankings 5-20.  Luna and I fall in that category proudly.  The Upper Class tier are the sure American Ivy League bound student population.  We have been heavily scouted by prominent universities not just in Korea but internationally since our junior year…But...Luna, how do we par with the Top Elites though?”

 

Luna answered automatically, “We don’t even compare.”

 

“Exactly.  Being an Upper Class might seem impressive but as Luna said, we don’t even compare to the Elites.”

 

We reached the dining hall, which mind you is the furthest thing from a typical cafeteria.  This had the luxurious restaurant-buffet style setting with actual chefs behind the open-glass kitchen.  As we entered, she subtly pointed across from us at the two guys seated with that Amber girl.

 

“See those guys?”

 

I traced where she was pointing and nodded.

 

“Three of the Top Elites—the top four of JL Academy’s impressive senior class.  Let’s just say there’s this massive wall between the top four and the rest of the class for multiple reasons.  For starters, see that tall, athletically built, lighter-toned guy—that’s Nam Joohyuk, the star athlete of JL Academy.  Does Nam Minhyuk ring a bell?”

 

I thought about it and there was only one association that came to mind, “Nam Minhyuk as in the Olympian?

 

“Precisely.  Nam Minhyuk is Korea’s Olympic legend who won five gold medals in five different categories in Track & Field in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul.  He practically goes down in our history books as a god.  And that guy right there, Nam Joohyuk, takes after his father’s genes.  He has American Division I universities already scouting him for four different sports.  Plus, he is also Olympic-bound in Swimming for the Summer 2016 Games.  And what makes him even more valuable is his top-notch grades.”

 

Okay.  I guess that’s pretty impressive.

 

“Do you see the tanned-skinned guy sitting next to him?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Don’t be fooled by his good looks and charm.  Kim Jongin, otherwise known as Kai, boast the same academic standing—number three at that.  Son of the biggest entertainment industry in Asia, Kim Entertainment, he is the sole heir with that killer smile and impressive brain.  Oh and did I mention he is a dancer?  He is a top recruit at Julliard’s performance arts academy.  In fact, he has been in the radar of other prestigious performing art institutes since he was twelve years old.  He’s a lady killer alright with that charismatic charming personality of his.”

 

Now I’m staring to understand this “wall” that Sulli speaks of.

 

“Oh and remember the girl you met in class earlier?  Irene?  Well…here’s where the wall becomes even thicker…”

 

“Isn’t the wall thick enough?”  I jested.

 

“I wish I could say yes but I’m just getting started Krystal.  So Irene Bae Joohyun…daughter of the head and founder of Bae Financial Group.  Annual revenue—around 70 billion dollars.  Dollars, Krystal.  Dollars.  Not Won.  Dollars.  She is brilliant in academics and everything else she’s involved in.  She has the real midas touch—literally, the ‘everything she touches turns to gold,' is the ongoing joke here amongst our peers.  At 16 she was rumored to have raked in $50 million dollars through speculative investing in the stock exchange in one day.  She never admitted to it but her father wasn’t shy in reporting it and it was all over the news.  She humbly dismissed it as rumors though.  But literally.  Gold.”  Sulli gestured a popping motion with her hands making me giggle with her excitement.  “Plus…she has the personality equivalent to her looks.  That’s why she’s the class president.”

 

Okay.  This school is no joke.

 

“And last but not least…”  She pointed at the Amber girl.

 

“Wait Sull, I’ve seen that girl before,” my encounter with her from last week flashed through my mind.  “Don’t tell me she’s someone really important?”

 

“When have you seen her?  Is that why she recognized you earlier?  What the heck?!  Why didn’t you tell me about this?!”
 

“Well…funny story.  A week ago, I spilled smoothies on her accidentally.  But to keep the long story short, I strictly remember her wearing a janitor’s outfit.” I explained to her.

 

She snorted while she let out a small laugh, “You spilled smoothies on her!  Oh my god.  Okay, you owe me that story for later.”  She recomposed herself before continuing.

 

“But yeah…  Amber Liu.  You might want to buckle down for this one.  Amber Josephine Liu, adopted daughter of James Hwang, interim CEO and Chairman of the Board of JL Group.”

 

I gasped in shock as it was all connecting in my head.  She was uncle James' youngest daugther I've heard about.

 

“Amber’s parents were said to have died in a weird freak accident in which she was also in.  She survived but, unfortunately, her parents did not.  JL Group is thick with this webbed and complex history and there’s a lot that could probably be said about her and her family but let’s just keep it simple for brevity’s sake.  On her parent's will, she is insured the full inheritance of JL Group.  So you know what that means right?  That girl, when she turns a certain age, will become the major stakeholder of the company and will essentially inherit the 150 billion dollar juggernaut conglomerate.  That girl will become one of the most powerful and one of the most influential figure of our generation because JL Group leads as the industry tech giant of the 21st century.  She is also a class on her own.  No one can touch Amber as far as academic performance.  She’s pretty much a genius but because of some problems in the past, instead of graduating earlier, she’s graduating with us.  But anyways, you probably saw her working as a custodian because it’s rumored that her father has forced, but more so encouraged, his daughters to work at the lowest paying part-time job as a custodian for exposure and experience.  But Amber…she’s no joke.  She is, I guess you could say, the prince of JL Academy.

 

“Prince?” I asked curiously.

 

“Well as you could tell, judging by the way she dresses, she’s said to be into girls than guys.  Hey, girls are attracted to her because come on…look at her.  She’s so freaking hot.”  Sulli plainly and casually admitted.

 

Huh?  Well...  I guess she’s not ugly.  But she’s definitely not my type.  You know…the rudeness, the coldness, the jerk-ness, and the -ness.

 

“I told you all of this to say,” Sulli took a gulp of her water before finishing, “Those four people are practically royalty and they pretty much run the school.  Granted, they’re actually decently nice people…well maybe except for Amber.  She’s kind of in her own world.  But…if you haven’t caught on to it yet, the Elites demand this unspoken reverence and respect in this school even amongst professors.  No one dares to scale their wall number one, simply because people just can’t and number two, obviously because it will most likely not turn out well for them.  So we do our thing, they do theirs.  It has worked out well for us in the past three years and for them too, especially Amber.”

 

Although it’s taking me some time to fully register and digest all of the information Sulli has just downloaded to me, I was getting the general feel for how this school works now.  And it all makes sense.  It makes me cringe thinking how such hierarchy already exist amongst teenagers for god’s sake but on one side it’s…kind of fascinating.

 

“Hi,” I heard a girl’s voice come from behind us.  The people around me immediately shifted their body language in full attention towards the person behind me.

 

It was Irene.

 

She extended her hand for a handshake complemented by that glowing smile, “Krystal Jung, welcome to JL Academy.  I’m Irene.  It’s nice to formally meet you..”

 

And from that moment, I understood.  The so-called Top Elites carry an air of coveted prestige and prominence that differentiated them from the above average.  There was something abhorrent about the title that they carry and the proverbial wall that they so unrestrictedly pose in front of the rest of the class.  But I must say, ironically at the same time, there was something also very alluring.

 


 

Author's Note

There's the backdrop of the story for you.  And I must say, the possibilities are endless.  What do you think?