CHAPTER 12

Young & Free

Continuation...

 

“I…I…I really missed you.”

 

Amber kept her arms locked around the woman.  She wanted to exhaust the reality of her actual presence and the mere fact that she can touch her.

 

Letting out a muffled chuckle, the woman giggled, “You’re going to choke me to death.”

 

Amber releases her quickly and although the woman in front of her had dampened eyes that were smiling, Amber was still struck by the surrealistic possibility that she could be trapped in a daydream.  The woman, on the other hand, beamed with joy upon seeing a very endearing face she longed to see for years now.

 

“Hi—“

 

Before the woman could continue her greeting, Amber’s five years of brewing frustration finally erupted.  She has been able to master her emotions as of lately but when the very presence of the person in front of her beckons for her deepest desire to surface, she is triggered at her core.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?!”

 

Placing her soft hands on Amber’s shoulders, she calmly answered, “Amber I—”

 

“Why are you here?!  And what—are you planning on leaving again?!”

 

“Amber calm down please,” she squeezed Amber’s hand.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were coming?!”

 

“Amber—”

 

“No.  Maybe you shouldn’t have come back.  Maybe it would be better if—”

 

“Yah!”  The woman jabbed her shoulder.  “If you're gonna be like this...fine!”  She turned around to walk away but was immediately yanked back by her wrist and into Amber’s desperate embrace.

 

Amber clutched for dear life.  The woman let out another stifled snicker in the arms of Amber’s embrace.

 

A cherished moment later, Amber finally softened up—both her arms and her emotions.

 

Pulling away and now eyeing each other face to face, the woman gave her an innocent peck on the cheek as she smiled, “I missed you too.”

 


 

Krystal and her friends, along with Joohyuk, Irene, and Kai witnessed the entire scene from two stories above.  The entire JL Academy campus caught the wave on the latest arrival of the princess of JL Group.  The whole campus buzzed with insatiable curiosity and excitement.

 

Krystal was curious herself.  From the 2nd floor window she watched Amber in surprise.  For a reason that she’s not quite ready to confront just yet, Krystal felt a sudden itch in the back of her mind.  She has yet to appropriately put words to feelings, to feelings to words, yet she felt uneasing tension as she observed from the 2nd floor window.

 

“Wow…Tiffany noona looks amazing.”  Joohyuk was the first to break the silence.

 

TIFFANY HWANG

Class Rank:  JL Academy Alumni; finished 1st

Family / Business Association:  JL Group; Hwang Family

Friends:  Jessica Jung, Kwon Yuri

Position:  Student at Harvard School of Business

Notes:  Amber’s adoptive sister; daughter of James and Michelle Hwang

 

Kai added, “Amber must be really happy.”

 

Krystal perked up at Kai, chancing a possible insight to his comment.

 

Catching her stare, he looked at Krystal with his side grin and continued, “They haven’t seen each other in five years.  And Tiffany noona…well…let’s just say she’s probably the most important person in Amber’s life.”

 

Kai, seeing the looming questions that remained in Krystal’s expression, pulled her gently away from the window.  “Come on.  We have ten minutes before class starts.”

 


 

With her arm hooked fittingly around Amber’s arm, they strolled leisurely through the garden just like they used to when they were younger.  There was a blaring difference this time, however, and that was that Amber was much taller than she was five years ago.  In fact, standing side by side, if Tiffany didn’t have her heels on, Amber would be taller by two inches.  Tiffany definitely took note of that change and chuckled in delight.

 

“What?”  Amber eyed the woman who has clung onto her arm.

 

“You grew up too fast.”  Tiffany tapped the top of Amber’s head and pointed out, “You’re taller than me now.”

 

Amber lightly scoffed in response.

 

After a brief pause, Tiffany heaved a deep sigh and cleared .  And in a mellow, yet serious tone, Tiffany said, “Why didn’t you ever call me?”

 

Amber sensed the honest hurt in that confession but she had her own reasons and reasons she is choosing to hold onto until she has her questions answered.

 

Amber retorts, “Why did you leave without telling me?”

 

“You know why I did.”

 

Amber pauses from walking and sternly faces Tiffany, discontent and displeasure clearly showing in her deep brown eyes.  “Actually, you never gave me a reason.”

 

Returned with the same force, Tiffany retorts, “That’s because you never gave me a chance.  I’ve tried calling you but you don't answer my calls or don't ever call me back.  I call home, and mom and dad says you don’t want to talk to me.  I come home for vacation that one Christmas and you avoid me by going somewhere else with your friends.  If you missed me so much, why did you never call me?”
 

All the points Tiffany raised were valid.  But still…

 

“Because you left without telling me.  You left without saying goodbye!”

 

“That’s because it would be really hard for me to actually say goodbye to you.”  Tiffany gripped Amber’s hand and squeezed it as she said, “Do you know how hard it was for me to leave you?!  To leave home?!  If I told you, I would never have been able to leave.”

 

“Well…you hurt my feelings for doing that.”  Amber sounded like whiny 10-year old kid, which triggered a giggle from Tiffany, easing the tense back-and-forth between the two people.

 

“And now you’re laughing at me.”  Amber said pulling her hand away.  “God…you’re seriously the worst person in the world—leaving me, now playing with and laughing at my feelings.”

 

“Oh my god, stop,” Tiffany attempts to hold her hands again, “You’re too cute and I just missed you.  Especially when you try to act like you’re mad at me when I know you just love me and miss me.”

 

Love.  Miss.  Those words choked Amber up.  The anger that she had pent up for five years instantly dissipated into abyss within those silent five seconds.  Her heart was arrested and she couldn’t keep staying mad when her eyes smiled brightly at her and her hands squeezed endearingly around her fingers.

 

Looking up at the dashing younger sister that grew up into this very mature, very charming, very much mesmerizing young lady that Tiffany has only heard about in the last five years, she pulls her close and couldn’t resist how smitten she was either.

 

“I’m sorry for leaving without saying goodbye.”

 

Amber suddenly found herself lost in her eyes.  She stood there, gazing back as though entrapped into a spell that is Tiffany Hwang.

 

“And I’m sorry for leaving without telling you.  Will you forgive me?”

 

Clenching her teeth, looking away from that gaze, Amber held onto the last bit of her pride only to be defeated by her own very desire without as much as a battle.

 

“Please~” Tiffany changed her tone in a high pitch, whiny sound.

 

Amber looks back up at Tiffany and stares into her eyes in equal earnest and sincerity and finally gives in.  “Just don’t do it again.”

 

“I promise.”  Tiffany beamed.

 

Amber finally returned the same smile and was hugged tight by Tiffany once again.

 

After a few seconds, Tiffany pulls back, balling her fist, lightly tapping Amber’s forehead.

 

“Yah!  What was that for?!”  Amber rubbed her forehead.

 

“That’s for being rude to your older sister earlier.”  Tiffany taps again.

 

“Oww!”

 

“That’s for being a pain in the to your professors!”  Tiffany adds another three strikes before Amber finally moves away.

 

“Yah!—”

 

“’Yah’?!”  Tiffany presses her fist again.

 

“Can you please stop?!  I’m going to get a bruise on my forehead.

 

Tiffany extended her arm again, to which Amber prepared herself for another hit by shielding her face.  Instead of striking Amber with her fist, Tiffany pushed her index finger against Amber’s hand that was shielding her face.

 

“Just because I am a continent away it doesn’t mean I don’t know or hear about how you’re doing.”

 

Amber took her hands away but still had her upper torso leaning back for defense just in case.

 

“I spoke with your professors and coach this morning and I made them tell me how you were doing in your classes and in the team.”

 

Amber scrunched her eyebrows in absurd fascination at the woman’s proactivity and interest in her life even though she just got here.  Consequently, Amber shrugged her shoulders and argued, “Hey, I’m doing perfectly fine in my classes.  My grades are impeccable.”

 

Clicking her tongue as she wagged her fingers, “That means nothing to me when your professors have unanimously reported that all you do in your classes is sleep.  You don’t participate and if you do it’s very minimal.”

 

Scoffing incredulously, Amber rolled her eyes.

 

“Might I add,” Tiffany continued, “Coach Park says you don’t even show up for practice.”

 

“Hey for the record, I never agreed to be on the soccer team.  I was forced to play—”

 

“Amber.”  Tiffany tossed her serious glare that always had a way of shutting her up.  “Do you know how much I brag about you?  Do you know how much I adore and admire you for being this wonderfully dashing and brilliant 18-year old?”

 

Tiffany had a way of making her feel guilty.  It is not because of the airy compliments she just received just now.  In fact, those words were more of an indictment than they are praises because that’s just how Tiffany has always regarded her.  Ever since they were younger, Tiffany laid the groundwork, pioneered perfection, spoke only of Amber’s potential and most importantly, always reiterated her belief and faith in Amber.  Tiffany would always remind her, “You are the most intelligent person I know…You’re brilliant, Amber…You’re the coolest person I know, Amber…”

 

Amber could care less for the opinions of others but when it comes to Tiffany’s opinion about her it mattered and it mattered a whole lot.  And Amber was guilty.  She knew she hasn’t totally lived up to that opinion because…well…she wasn’t here.  What’s the point.

 

Tiffany softened her toned, affectionately Amber’s cheek and smirked, “All I’m saying is that you’re so much more than a cliché chaebol poster child who gets by life without trying… You’re so much cooler when you actually try.”

 

Amber could only responded with a conceding sigh.  She was right.  Tiffany is always right.

 

Cupping both Amber’s cheeks now, Tiffany requested, “Now…will you please try?  If you won’t try for yourself, will you do it for me?”

 

Tiffany knows her pull on the teenager.  She knows that in the end, if Amber does it her way, she’ll know to exert only minimal effort yet still excel in school.  But Tiffany believed that Amber was so much more than that and she’ll use her “Will you do it for me?” trump card to challenge Amber and push her to her full potential.

 


 

Amber was twelve minutes late to her 2nd period class, to which all of her classmates were fully aware of.

 

As she entered the classroom, all eyes darted in her direction.  Amber typically places zero regard for her own tardiness but with Tiffany’s words ringing fresh in her ears, she turned her full attention towards the front of the room.  Bowing in a full ninety degree angle, with lowered head, she made sure her professor could hear her from the other end of the classroom.

 

“I apologize for being late.  I’ll work harder to be more prompt in the future.”

 

A snort followed coming from Joohyuk’s vicinity.

 

Amber made a way to her seat after throwing a glare at Joohyuk.

 

Class resumed in session.  Thirty minutes into it and Amber was fighting every nerve in her body from the slumber that was hitting her consciousness.  She constantly fidgeted in her seat while she blinked incessantly trying to keep her eyes open at the screen.  She even followed along the lecture for a good five minutes before tuning it out due to the regurgitation of the course material that she has already steamrolled through.  But she kept those eyes open even if it was to pretend that she was actually engaged in the lesson.

 

Irene noticed it.  Kai did as well.  Joohyuk definitely did and has sent her text messages asking her if she did some system stimulating drugs, aka speed, prior to coming to class.

 

Amber ignores their “concern” and stayed alert, disengaged yes, but still conscious and alert.

 

The back door suddenly opened, revealing Tiffany and three other figures behind her.  The class stiffened and sat upright upon acknowledging the presence of observers.  Not only were they graced by JL Group’s resident princess but she was accompanied by three Ivy League provost from their prospective institutions.  Tiffany nodded her head at the professor and he continued with the lecture.

 

Amber took a peek at Tiffany.  Tiffany flashed her a tempered smiled and quick wink, galvanizing a new measure of confidence.

 

“Who can explain to me what the income effect is?”

 

Irene had her hand raised.  Right as the professor motioned to call on her, he noticed Amber’s subtle hand in the back.  A rarity indeed.

 

He points at Amber instead and calls on her to answer.

 

In a flat tone, Amber answered, “Depending on the price of a product, a consumer’s real income either increases or decreases, causing also a decrease or an increase in the quantity of the product demanded.”

 

Kai and Joohyuk exchanged puzzlement.

 

“What happens when the price of a product go up?”
 

Other students raised their hand including Krystal.  The professor directed her attention towards Krystal but before he had the chance to call on her, Amber blurted the answer.

 

“When the price of a product increases, the consumer’s real income decreases, causing a decrease in the quantity of the product demanded.”

 

The professor was shocked, baffled to be more exact.  He was surprised by Amber’s sudden earnest participation in class lectures that he stuttered, nodding his head in response, “U-Uh…th-thank you Amber.”

 

If one were to look closely, one could make a small smirk on Amber’s face, glancing behind her, tossing a quick wink at the woman who smiled in satisfaction at Amber’s display of “trying”.  Tiffany felt proud of that moment.

 

Class continued as scheduled and before they knew it, roughly an hour later, the class was finally dismissed by the professor.  Amber had no plans in staying to mingle or answer questions from her friends, instead, she quickly bolted up from her seat to chase after one person.

 

But before she could make it to the door, she was grabbed by the wrist by someone.

 

“Amber.”

 

Turning her head, she meets Krystal’s eyes.

 

Krystal had a pull on Amber too, at least the kind of pull that can momentarily slow Amber down.

 

“Are you okay?”  Krystal shyly asks.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I wanted to ask you if you had time to work on our project sometime this weekend.  We have to map out a timeline for our event.”

 

Amber didn’t really want to waste precious time.  “Yeah sure, Krystal.  Just text me the details and we can talk later.”

 

Krystal then let go of her wrist.  “Okay.”

 

Amber took a step towards the door.

 

“Wait.  Are you still coming tonight?”

 

“Yeah.  I’ll see you later.”  No second later was Amber out of the door.

 

On the other hand, Krystal resoundingly felt that itch again.  This time it felt more like a tugging ache inside her chest.

 

Sulli caught up to her, linking her arm around Krystal as they walked out of the classroom together.

 

Sulli has been observing the actions and reactions of the people around her and she has come to surmise that it has been an eventful day here at JL Academy.  How fascinating it was for her to see Amber react to Tiffany’s arrival like that.  And how even more interesting to see those who have interest in certain people reveal the hearts they were wearing in their sleeves in a more conspicuous fashion.

 

For one, she couldn’t help but notice Krystal’s sudden change of mood.

 

“Hey are you okay?” She tugged on Krystal’s arm.

 

As though thinking out loud, Krystal intoned, “Sulli…what’s the history between Amber and her sister?  Why is our whole campus tossed into a frenzy because of her?”

 

Sulli took notice of Krystal’s frank question.  “Tiffany Hwang.  Daughter of James and Michelle Hwang who is the adoptive sister of Amber.  She was and still is infamously known as JL Academy’s princess.  She has beauty and brains and has the name to establish a permanent mark in this school.  Like Amber, she was pretty much untouchable.  But unlike Amber, Tiffany unnie was a social butterfly, well-liked, approachable, admired, and adored by peers and professors.

 

Sulli and Krystal paused as they put their things away in their lockers before continuing.

 

“Tiffany is Amber’s sister on paper; but as you have witnessed this morning, Tiffany is a person to Amber that’s so much more than that.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“There aren’t really proper titles or worthy labels to describe the role that Tiffany unnie played in Amber’s life.  I’m sure you’ve heard about Amber’s colorful childhood.  Well…based on rumors that I’ve heard, one could argue that Tiffany pretty much saved her life.  When Amber would have her episodes, Tiffany unnie was the only person who could calm her down.  You know…she was like Amber’s…angel.”

 

Krystal nodded her head as she processed the information.

 

“Amber has only showed affection for one and one person only—that was Tiffany unnie.  So when she left for college…well…she became the Amber that we know today.”

 

Krystal drew that mental picture in her head.  Amber had a rough childhood.  Her silver lining in her troubled world was Tiffany.  It made sense.  Tiffany’s place in Amber’s life is a foundational layer that shaped Amber into the person that she is today.  She gets it.  And the tugging that she has been feeling since this morning is beginning to define itself.

 

Sulli discerned Krystal’s pensiveness.  She suddenly blurted, “But that all changed when you came into the picture.”

 

Krystal was jolted out of her thoughts.  “Huh?”

 

Giggling at Krystal’s quick change of expression, “I said, that it all changed when you came into the picture.”

 

“I heard what you said, but what are you talking about?”

 

“Come on Krystal, let’s be honest.  Amber is not nice.  She is pretty arrogant and is known to be detached from everyone except her best friends.  But for some reason that I still have yet to understand, of all people it was you who was able to melt that wall.  I don’t know how you did it but you were able to overcome her guard and pull her out of her shell.  That’s a feat that even Tiffany unnie would commend.”

 

Krystal was catapulted back to her thoughts.  She pondered on Sulli’s observation.  Does that mean that I could be someone special in her life?

 

As though Sulli was reading her thoughts, she added, “That probably means there's something special about you that Amber sees.”

 


 

It was the highly anticipated match-up between the blue JL Academy Lions against the second seed red Gangnam High School Hawks.  Both teams are undefeated.  And the season game tonight will generate buzz as far as playoff projections for this year’s regal high school soccer season.

 

Amber sat comfortably on the bench, arms closed, shockingly engaged, watching intently from the sidelines behind teammates and coaches who are unable to control their pacing and nervousness. 

 

Amber watched closely.  For the last 30 minutes she has taken mental notes of the opponents strategy.  It was almost predictable that they would attack the weak side and cross the ball to the striker every single time when given the chance.  The intense defense on Joohyuk was effective and commendable, shutting him out almost the entirety of the game.  In fact, she can see the frustration in her best friend’s face.  She knows that a draw was unacceptable for Joohyuk.  It’s win or nothing.  So as the time dwindles, she could see the extended effort her friend was making.

 

In truth, she wasn’t all that thrilled watching the dirty tricks they were pulling against Joohyuk all night.  He has spent a lot of moments on the ground, eating grass because of the dirty plays that were being played against him when officials weren't looking.

 

Amber’s right knee twitched nonstop as she bit on her thumb.  She was growing restless by the minute and for once she kind of wished she was on the field to put an end to the 0-0 drought.

 

The ball flew in Joohyuk’s direction and he jumped to catch the ball in a header.  In mid air, Joohyuk’s head was slammed against another player’s who purposely aimed for his head rather than ball.  Joohyuk crouched in a fetal position on the grass clutching his head while the referee finally raised a yellow card in the air.  Amber stood from the bench bursting with ferocity at that dirty play.

 

The Lion boys in the blue jerseys rushed to gather around the captain, while one of them had enough, grabbing the who hit Joohyuk by the collar, which resulted in almost a brawl between two teams.

 

The game was halted by the wild commotion for the next five minutes.  The JL Academy home crowd was enraged, yelling loud boos and profanity from the stands.  The coaches had to step in to mitigate the chaos in the middle of the field while Joohyuk was moved to the sidelines to get checked.

 

Amber rushed to her friend.

 

“Namjoo, are you okay?”

 

Shaking his head as the school trainer check for any signs of injury, he chuckled, “I think I’m gonna be okay.  Those bastards have been on my all night.”

 

Seeing that her friend was taking it lightly and didn’t seem to have obtain anything serious, Amber was relieved.  But that relief didn’t stop at her concern for her friend.  She was livid at how the match was going and at how low the other team was stooping.

 

Amber scanned the stands and in perfect timing she spots a special person entering the stadium.  Tiffany caught her in that moment as well and tossed her a “Fighting!” sign with her fist before heading up to the presidential booth.

 

That was just the thing that she needed to give her enough boost to do the next thing she was about to do.

 

She approached her coach—a first in all season.

 

“Coach…put me in.”

 

Coach Park looks at her curiously.  He thought she was joking.

 

“Put me in.  Trust me.  I won’t let you down.”

 

Coach Park contemplated on the idea of putting a bench player who hasn’t shown up to practice all season.  Amber was indeed asking for a tall order.

 

Joohyuk suddenly interjects, “Put her in coach.  You can trust her and trust me .”

 

Coach Park nodded his head and signaled for the substitute.  Amber casts her jacket aside and warms up quickly on the sideline.

 

After the official’s timeout was over, the JL Academy home crowd exchanged gasps and murmurs.

 

“Is Amber really going in?”

 

“Wait…I thought she was just in the team for show.”

 

Irene whispered to herself, “Oh my gosh I can’t believe she’s actually gonna play.”

 

Krystal, along with her friends, motioned to Kai, “Is Amber really playing?”

 

Kai was just as shocked as them.  He shrugged his shoulders with a huge smirk and answered, “I guess she is.”

 

The game resumed and it was still tough match.  No one expected Amber to keep up but surely she did.  In fact, she more than kept up.  She actually dominated the position as a left wing.  She was as fast, if not faster, than most of the boys on the field.  She was hard to guard because of her quickness, agility, and handles with the ball.

 

But it was a dog-eat-dog on the field.  Gotta give it to the The Hawks.  They were putting up formidable fight against the defending champs.  But…

 

It only takes one opportunity.

 

The clock hit the 90-minute mark and the referee signaled for additional four minutes on the clock.  The scoreboard remained 0-0 and both teams the last bit of juice they have left to make their final efforts.  And sure enough, down to the last possession after a spectacular defensive play, with probably less than a minute left, a perfect cross was delivered to Joohyuk that was a hair close to becoming an offside penalty.  Joohyuk accelerates in blazing speed, putting on his full energy into his last attempt, while Amber followed suit, rapidly moving her legs as fast as she could down the long stretch.  And she knew…

 

This game is over.

 

One opponent charged at Joohyuk…

 

Joohyuk spun and juked right, deserting the tired and slowed opponent.

 

In the next quick seconds, just above the penalty box, close to the corner, Joohyuk fakes right and charges left, losing another defender.

 

Two opponents suddenly came out of nowhere charging at full speen at Joohyuk to apply a defensive lock around him.

 

Joohyuk, on the right wing, marks Amber and seizes the moment right before the opponent slides to steal the ball.  Joohyuk crosses the ball in Amber’s direction. 

 

Amber leaps in the air with a red shirt on her side jumping in the same direction.

 

In one swift and finesse movement, Amber gave it all she got, swinging her head at the incoming ball towards the goal.

 

The goalie gave his best effort but came up a tenth of second too slow with the ball barely brushing the tip of his fingers into the net.  A rumbling scream followed no second later.

 

The referee blew the whistle marking the end of the match.  The home bleachers erupted as the student body rushed the field with adrenaline and excitement from the game-winning goal.

 

Amber rushed towards Joohyuk as the two celebrated the last minute victory.

 

Students, teammates, and coaches celebrated on the field and for the first time, Amber felt the rush of nirvana upon the glorious way they won.  It was electric.  Amber felt the buzz.  She overjoyed and in cloud nine and this thought crossed her mind:  Maybe soccer ain't so bad after all.

 

Other students rushed them and gathered around the captain and Amber celebrating the sweet victory with the whole school.  It was a sweet victory indeed that only strengthens their case and momentum as they move into the playoffs.

 


 

By tradition, Joohyuk waited outside the women’s locker room for her best friend.

 

Amber exited the locker room doors to be greeted by a widely grinning Captain with his arms spread open.

 

“Congratulations.  That was one hell of goal!”

 

Amber wrapped her arms around Joohyuk and praised, “It was a perfect cross.  It would have been embarrassing if I missed that.”

 

Joohyuk ruffled her hair, “See!  Soccer is fun.  Admit it.  You had fun.”

 

Amber rolled her eyes and mentally agreed as they began walking towards the exit.

 

“Whatever…  How’s your head?”

 

Joohyuk knuckled his cranium and said, “Hard as rock.”

 

Amber’s felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.  She pulled it out and checked the I.D.  She smiled upon seeing the name and the picture.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I’m at the soccer field.  Come find me!”  There was monotone beep a moment afterwards.

 

Amber couldn’t contain her smile.

 

Stopping halfway down the hallway, Amber pats Joohyuk on the shoulder and says, “I’ll catch up with you later.”

 

“Wait.  Where are you going?”

 

Amber just smiled as she backpedalled.

 

“You’re still coming to Kai’s later, right?”

 

Amber shrugged her shoulders.  “We’ll see!”

 

Joohyuk knew where that phone call came from and to see her excited made him happy.  A game-winning goal and a special girl back into her life—his best friend’s night couldn’t get any better.

 

Joohyuk shakes his head as he whispered to himself, “Some things never change.”

 

How Will I Know | Sam Smith

 

Meanwhile, Amber sprinted through the locker hallway and into the JL Academy stadium with her duffel bag slung around her body.  At the end of the field near a goal, she spots a pretty girl in her pretty white dress, trying to kick a soccer ball with her wedges.

 

She stops ten feet away and quipped, “I found you.”

 

Tiffany beamed upon seeing Amber and attempted to kick a soccer ball towards her.  The ball only rolled about three feet to which Amber chuckled.

 

Amber walked toward Tiffany and picked up the soccer ball with her hands.

 

“You’re not allowed to carry a ball with your hands when you’re playing soccer.  Enlighten me.  How are you even on the varsity team?”

 

Amber drops the ball in front of her and kicks it into the net effortlessly.

 

“I think I proved myself tonight, have I not?”

 

“So cocky.”  Tiffany kicks another ball towards Amber, this time hitting Amber on her shin.  Amber controls the ball and kicks it back gently towards Tiffany.

 

This time, Tiffany bent over to pick up the ball with her hand.  She walked towards Amber, placing the soccer ball in her hands.  “You were amazing.  See…you’re so much more cool and handsome to me when you try.”

 

Amber took the ball with one hand and clutches it on her side so the she can take another step closer to the older girl.

 

“I don’t need to try to be cool.”

 

“And I’m not saying you’re not already.  I’m just saying you’re much cooler when you do.”  Tiffany pinches Amber’s cheek and added, “I bet all your fangirls were going crazy tonight.  Just don’t let me catch you with one of them and I’ll try my best not kill them.”

 

Amber rolled her eyes at the ridiculousness of that statement.  “Please.  I don’t have any fangirls.”

 

“Lies.  Joohyuk tells me everything.”

 

“I don’t have any fangirls that suit my interest or whatsoever so you don’t have to worry about killing anyone anytime soon.”

 

“Good.”  Tiffany pinches her other cheek, inciting an “oww” and a giggle.

 

“I’m so proud of you.”  Tiffany cups Amber’s face.

 

Amber could easily get lost in her eyes.  That was always the complexity of this situation.  As much as she adored and admired the person in front of her, she sees the latter reciprocating the same affection to the same measure.  There lingered this unspoken barrier and unresolved feelings that they could never define.  But it was there nonetheless.  Amber was sure that Tiffany looked at her the same way and as thankful as she was to even be a part of her life as her adoptive sister, she was also haunted by that reality.

 

She feels it.  She feels it that much more strongly after not having seen her for five years.

 

There prevailed that clear red line—a big red one that they are never to cross.

 


 

Key, Luna, Jonghyun, and Sulli piled into Krystal’s car to make their way to Kai’s after-party.

 

Krystal reached for back pocket, finding it empty.  She scoped around the car and inside of her purse but couldn’t find her phone anywhere.

 

“Shoot.  I think I left my phone on the bleacher.”

 

She hops out of the car.  “I’ll be right back guys.”

 

Krystal sprinted through the parking lot and made her way into the supposedly empty stadium.  As she entered, she immediately noticed the two people on the field and she was sure that it was Amber and of course…Tiffany.

 

Feeling like an invader, she backtracks her steps quickly and stays behind a wall.  She takes a peek at the two people in the field and there it was again, much stronger than ever, the sensation of someone tugging on her chest, that insane feeling of something inside getting choked out of its breath.

 

Tiffany had her hands on Amber’s cheeks as Amber held the ball and had her other hand clutch the older girl’s waist.  They both looked lost in their own world, smiling as they gazed at each other.  Krystal sees it for the first time—the most genuine moment where Amber seemed truly happy.

 

And that itch…well...it has finally evolved into its full form and definition by itself.

 

And that definition was one word.  Envy.

 


 

Author's Note

Just so you guys don't crucify me for this Tiffber chapter, you should know that it's all part of staging a piece of this story.

Tiffany's presence in these upcoming chapters is going to play a significant role in Kryber's development.

Anyways... Yo!  I've been vacationing in Mexico!  That's my excuse this time.  Lol.

Thanks for all the love and support I've been getting with the story!  You guys are incredible!

Stay tuned!  I may update quicker than you think! XD

- Z