CHAPTER 11

Young & Free

JL Academy | 2 weeks later | 10:23am

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

It’s the week after mid terms and everyone is on edge while waiting for the grades to be posted.  After getting dismissed from our 2nd period class, a huge commotion was in order in the hallway after the administrators made the public announcement that our grades were finally posted on the lounge bulletin.  Everyone rushed to the commons area of the Senior Wing to check their grades.

 

To be honest…mid terms were hard.  As in shoot-me-in-the-face hard.  It is not a prestigious institution at its core for no reason.  But…I think did well?  At least I think I did, thanks to the help of my friends and particularly Amber with her finance notes.  I do have to admit…without Amber’s notes, I probably would have flunked the finance mid term.  But just don’t tell her that, okay.  She’ll probably only get a big head and use it to gloat in front of me.  Ha.

 

I walked up to where the crowd was gathered in the commons and waited my turn in the back to check my grades.  I waited slowly as the crowd dispersed one student after another.  It was a good fifty-fifty.  Some were relieved, others cursed underneath their breath for not doing that great.

 

I readied myself, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, said a quick prayer to the sweet baby Jesus that I did enough to keep my solid record.

 

I approached the bulletin board and opened my eyes slowly.

 

International Economics – 92%

Advance History – 93%

Advance Calculus – 93%

Advance Physics – 92%

Managerial Finance – 92%

 

Oh my god.  Phew.  All A’s.  Granted…I have a long way to go to keep these grades an A.

 

Class Rank:  6th

 

6th?!  Oh my god!  I ranked up there with Luna.

 

“I believe a big—Oh my god Amber, you saved my life!  Thank you!­—is in order,” I suddenly heard her voice taunting me from my left ear.  I turned around and found a rare mischievously grinning Amber.

 

She scanned the bulletin quickly and said, “Not bad Krystal.  All A’s and placed 6th.  You’re a Jung after all,” she said with a tiny smirk.

 

“I’m waiting,” she said with a grin.  Clearly, she was enjoying this.  See what I mean…I knew she would gloat.

 

“Yah.  If I knew I was only feeding you bragging ammunition, I would have never taken your offer to help me.”  I playfully jabbed her arm.

 

“Just say it,” she began doing a small impersonation of what I think I believe to be me but was horrible at it, “Amber…thank you so much!  I don’t know what I would have done without your help!”

 

“Yah!”  I pinched her arm.  “Tsk.  Next time, you can keep your notes and ego to yourself.”

 

I turned towards the bulletin and scanned for Amber’s name and the Top Elites.

 

And sure enough, in all subjects, Amber had a whopping 100%.  Irene had a 100% as well except for a 99% in Advance Calculus.  Joohyuk and Kai had a solid average of 97%-98%.

 

Wow.  I’m finally convinced.

 

I turned around to face her. Still grinning.  Still gloating.

 

“How’s that even possible?!”

 

“What?”

 

“How’s a 100% in all the test even possible?!”

 

Amber faced the bulletin and quickly scanned for her grades then turned around with a neutral demeanor, hands in her pockets, shrugging her shoulders up and down.  “It’s possible.”

 

As expected…Amber really is on another level.

 

“I’m still waiting Krystal,” she smirked with her lighthearted pomp.

 

I jokingly stuck my tongue at her and walked away.

 

From behind me, I heard her shout, “Yah!”  Without turning around, I smiled to myself, satisfied at how much more comfortable we now were with each other.

 

END OF KRYSTAL POV


 

From afar, there were two people who closely observed the very friendly interaction between the two.

 

Irene and Joohyuk were both on their way to the check their grades but was halted upon seeing the surprising exchange between Krystal and Amber.  Irene, in particular, felt slightly unnerved by it.

 

Irene knew that Krystal has become friendly with her and her friends.  She had nothing against it and against Krystal in particular, but she felt slightly vulnerable when seeing the person she has affection for show a different kind of attention to someone else.

 

This prompted her in asking Joohyuk, “Joohyuk…is there something I should know?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I have never seen Amber this expressive with anyone outside of the three of us.”

 

Joohyuk, well aware of what Irene was getting at, and also sensitive to how Irene feels about Amber, answered, “Shouldn’t we think about that as a good thing though?  I mean…it’s a good thing to see her open herself up more to other people.”

 

Irene knew Joohyuk was right.  It was a good thing given Amber’s history.  But still…she felt uncomfortable that of all the people…it was with another girl…with Krystal Jung.

 

“So you’re saying I shouldn’t be worried?”  Irene turned to face Joohyuk, showing her the vulnerability in her eyes.

 

Joohyuk couldn’t escape it.  He was caught between the two worlds of his two dear friends.  Joohyuk knew more than anyone the kind of place Amber has in Irene’s life.  And he knew more than anyone the kind of walls that Amber has built, but now starting to dismantle because of the sudden entrance of this particular girl in their lives.  Nevertheless, in front of Irene, he had to be careful.  He had to be gentle.  He had to be neutral.

 

“What I’m saying is that you shouldn’t overthink it Irene,” he said flashing him a genuine smile.

 

Maybe he’s right.  Irene nods in concession.  It is a good thing.

 


 

Cheong-dam dong.

 

A knock on the glass door prompted the doctor immersed in her research to look up, only to find a warm subtle smile from the young heiress before stepping inside.

 

Doc Yul stood up from her desk to meet Amber with a hug after not seeing her for nearly a month.  After the affectionate greeting, Amber takes the seat on one of the couches while the doctor stayed in front of her desk, leaned against it as she commented, “Judging by the look on your face, I’m guessing you’re not here for a therapy session.”

 

Snorting at Yuri's sass, Amber leaned back comfortably in her seat, propping her leg up conveniently on the tea table in front of her.  “I can’t visit a friend who I haven’t seen in almost a month?”

 

“I’m just saying.  You look more friendly than the usual.  I mean, you still have that Edward Cullen, melancholic, teenage, enigmatic persona going on.  You look the same with an added tiny splash of…pep.”

 

Scrunching her brows, Amber retorted, “I don’t even know what that means.”

 

Brushing off the light exchange, the two began catching up with each other.  Yuri was enlightened to share with Amber her learned insights from the convention she attended, to which interest prompted the conversation for the next half an hour.

 

Amber’s affinity for Yuri was because of this connection.  She comes to Yuri for this.  She comes for the intellectual stimulation that allows her to exercise her already sophisticated logic.  And Yuri can boast as one of the few people who is able to engage Amber’s mind while discovering the different layers of Amber’s heart.  So Yuri would entertain Amber and time would pass and before they knew it, they have philosophically deconstructed the framework of Freudian Psychopathology or have lengthily exhausted the Darwinian principles of the evolution theory.

 

The two could go on for hours.  And it doesn’t stop at psychology either.  They are all over the spectrum, probing on abstract philosophical ideas to concrete banal realities while making sarcastic cynical remarks at each other’s reasoning just to see who is a better wise-.

 

This two could talk anything and everything in lengths for days.

 

After another hour, Yuri suddenly remembered something.  “Ah!  I have something for you.”  Yuri rummaged through her drawer behind her desk and pulled out a white gift bag.

 

Handing the gift to Amber, she says, “She says to let you know that she’s sorry for the late present but…”

 

Yuri’s voice trails as Amber quickly realized whom the gift was from.  She looks at small card and opens it first.

 

In perfect cursive, the 4-word message was enough for Amber to feel a million emotions coursing through her soul.  It read, “I really miss you.”

 

Taking the tissue out, she reaches inside to find a small box labeled as the very classic Jaeger le Coultre.  She opens it and finds a stunning white gold timepiece with artistic etchings of rose gold inside, with black leather straps, classy and refined, picked out by the luxurious, yet sophisticated taste of the Tiffany Hwang.

 

Amber gives it a long stare.  This is so Tiffany.  Something she would only pick out.

 

She was thankful for the expensive gift, yet burdened she was by how much she misses the Giver even more.

 

Yuri noticed the pensive gaze in Amber’s eyes.  Yuri has surmised long ago the hopeless admiration and affection Amber has had for her adoptive sister.  Furthermore, it was obvious to people near and dear to Amber’s world how Tiffany’s recent absence has affected her.

 

It’s a sensitive button.  Nevertheless, a conversation that sometimes needs pressed.

 

“You know you can call her,” Yuri tested.

 

Amber’s gaze hasn’t shifted from the watch.  She heard Yuri loud and clear but was too absorbed by the emotions she has been trying to suppress.

 

Yuri continued, “These days there’s Facetime or Skype.  You know she’s really only a click away.”

 

Still no response.

 

In the most sensitive tone prompted by the opportune moment, Yuri adds, “You should call her.”

 

After silent seconds, Amber slowly closes the box and puts it back in the bag.

 

Ambers took a long weary breath and finally directed her eyes at Yuri.  In a condescending scoff, she admits her resolve…

 

“What’s the use.”

 


 

JL Academy

 

“Congratulations Krystal.  I should have expected that you would be at least in the top 10 of school rankings!”  Key announced, finding the seat in the dining hall in front of Krystal who bashfully smiled at her friend’s praises.

 

Sulli took the seat next to Krystal and playfully added, “I don’t know if I should congratulate you though.  Because of you, there is another person in the Upper Class to feel threatened by.  For example, Lee Jinwoo was not happy to be booted out of this tier, placing at 21st…but he deserved it because he was so cocky.”

 

After chewing her food, Krystal pointed out, “And it’s all thanks to you Sulli and Luna!  And congrats to you, Sull, for breaking it to top ten this midterms.”

 

Sulli flashed a proud smile complemented by a quick shimmy in celebration, “All thanks to you Krystal and Luna!”

 

“Hey!  What about us?!”  Jonghyun piped up.  “We helped too!”

 

“You mean you free-loaded off our notes.”  Luna fired back.

 

“Ahem.  Let me just remind you that your notes were not free,” Key retorted.  “All the coffee, snacks, and ice cream we spent for you ladies, played an integral role in your midterm success.  So you’re welcome.”

 

The girls rolled their eyes while Jonghyun and Key bumped their fists in triumph.

 

The group of friends ate their lunch in continued banters.  After twenty minutes into it, Krystal couldn’t help but notice an abnormality in Top Elites table, particularly the absence of one person.  In fact, it has been like this all week.  She hasn’t seen Amber much around school.  Well…she’ll show up for class but resorts to taking naps instead.  And the moment the bell would ring, she would disappear and be nowhere to be found.

 

Krystal had this pulling urgency.  She had this itching curiosity.  So she had to find out.

 

So then Krystal packed her things and made the lame excuse to her friends that she needed to go speak to a professor or something of that regard before break ends.

 

Feeling confident of her level of understanding of Amber, she went to the one place she had the feeling she’d find her.  The library.

 

Sure enough as she entered the spacious Academy library, her eyes immediately darted to the corner of the room, near the glass wall overlooking the soccer field, and found exactly who she was looking for.

 

As she quietly approached the corner, she noticed the tomboy…asleep, breathing peacefully and heavily with a book flopped open on top of her face, her thumb and her fingers still attached to the tail of the open pages.

 

She hovered above the sleeping prince, making note of the title of the book.  Siddhartha.

 

Of course she’d read this.

 

With a small smile creeping on her face, Krystal took the gamble.  She reached forward and slowly pulled the book off of Amber.  As sunlight, in turn, shone right at Amber’s face, the handsome tomboy fussed and shifted her head in annoyance, spurring her to open her eyes to figure out the sudden kick of consciousness.

 

Whispering grumbling complaints under her breath, she blinks and discovers a smiling Krystal Jung staring and giggling right in front of her face.  The ethereal sensation immediately eclipsed the brewing irritation in Amber.

 

Amber slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes, while shaking out the knotted muscles from that very uncomfortable position.  She looked at Krystal intently still space-struck by the radiant beauty in front of her.

 

After some seconds, Krystal takes another gander by gently poking Amber’s cheek.

 

“Are you like a vampire or something?  Sleep all day, up all night kind of creature?”

 

Much to Krystal’s credit, she was actually spot on.  Amber has had a rough week sleeping at nights due to the overdrive of thoughts that would usually keep her wide-eyed and occupied throughout the 12AM to 5AM window.  Hence, the constant naps that cannot be helped when Amber’s in school.  Amber blames the lectures—if they weren’t so boring and all.

 

Krystal can sense the unusual level of detachment Amber was showing.  She’s always been aloof but there was something in the glint of Amber’s eyes that gave off the extra feeling of…sadness.

 

Taking the seat next to the tomboy, in a serious, concerned tone, she dared to ask, “Hey…are you okay?”

 

The question triggered the wave of a million others.  Looking away from Krystal’s weakening stares, Amber adjusts her expression right away.  Maintaining her defenses and her invincible demeanor, in a cold, detached, low timbre in her voice, she responded, “What do you want?”

 

Something about those four words cut Krystal unexpectedly.  She thought they were past this.  She thought that the wall of coldness and animosity was an obstacle they have hurdled over already.

 

As though back in square one, Krystal felt defeated, “I…I-I just thought I’d say hi.  I feel like I haven’t talked to you or seen you all week.”

 

Something about Krystal’s voice softened Amber unexpectedly.  She felt suddenly guilty.  So taking a long heaved breath, as though Amber was flushing herself out the vibes, she turns her head to the dejected person and softly said this time, “I’m just tired.  I haven’t slept well all week.”

 

And just like that, Krystal felt a sense of relief.  Yet, she was not relieved of the sensitivity that Amber was emitting.  Rather than pressing, she has decided to just play it safe, despite the strong urgency to ask why.

 

“Siddhartha?”  Krystal handed the book back to Amber.

 

“Uh…yeah.  Classics like this help me with releasing stress.  Well…at least that’s what my therapist suggest for me to do when I feel stressed or overwhelmed…to do something that I like doing.”

 

“And that’s reading?”

 

“Yeah.  Reading classics.”

 

She had questions in her mind that she wanted to ask Amber.  But she thought better than to ask right now, afraid to push buttons that would just push her away completely.  Instead, a brilliant idea popped into her mind.

 

“Hmm…what are you doing tomorrow?”

 

Amber just stared at Krystal in question.

 

Flashing her smile, she said, “It’s Saturday and suppose to be sunny tomorrow.   I know the perfect thing we could do that could maybe help.”

 


 

Jeonju

 

It wasn’t hard for Krystal to convince Amber to go to the orphanage this Saturday.  It surprised her when Krystal showed up at her place in her Range Rover with Chief Donghae in on it, having already loaded all the gear and the boxes of food in Krystal’s car.  Amber was secretly grateful for Krystal’s thoughtfulness.  She acknowledges her efforts.  And believe it or not, deep down in Amber’s mistakenly unsympathetic heart, she was genuinely touched.

 

As for Krystal, she was just glad to see that small smile on Amber’s face again.

 

The entire car ride to Jeonju was quiet.  Krystal knew better than to push for answers and spoil the day trip.  Instead, she let Amber sleep through the car ride.  Judging by the dark circles underneath her eyes, it was obvious that Amber was still not getting a lot of rest at night.

 

When they reached Hope Orphanage, they were welcomed and greeted excitedly by the smiling children.  Soon Hee halmoni was delighted that Krystal kept her promise.  As per usual, Krystal was dragged by the children to play Princess and the Dragons—a game that they have made up with Krystal after Amber named her their princess.  Amber, on the other hand, did her maintenance duties around the facility.

 

It was nice for Amber.  In fact, it was the perfect therapy in that it was the perfect getaway from incessant thoughts of her that has kept her morbidly awake at nights and sufficiently irritated during the day.  So the morning and the first half of the afternoon blew past by her with much more ease than the past few days.

 

Amber was in the middle of fixing a broken chair in the kitchen when a knock on the door interrupted her focus.

 

It was Krystal, standing shyly by the door.  “Hey Amber, the kids need your help.  One of the balls got stuck on the other side of the field fence and they insisted that you help us.”

 

Standing from her work area, Amber took a peek out of the window at the kids.

 

Krystal continued to add, “I told them that I could get it for them but they stopped me because of what you told them last time.”

 

Amber scrunched her eyebrows in slight puzzlement.  “What do you mean?”

 

Chuckling, Krystal answered, “You told them that if the princess gets hurts, they'll all get in trouble.  Apparently, they are taking that rule very seriously.”

 

A small smile crept on Amber’s face.  Taking her gloves off, she placed a hand on Krystal’s arm before leaving, “Good.”

 

Krystal was electrified by this sudden, yet, innocent touch.  It remained a mystery to her—how the tiniest of things about Amber could trigger these foreign sensations.

 

Krystal was about to follow behind Amber before Soon Hee halmoni called for her, “Krystal, do you have a free hand?”

 

Nodding her head, she followed Soon Hee halmoni down the hallway, to the other side of the Hanok, into a small office room that contained shelves of files and pictures of group of children over the years.

 

Soon Hee halmoni rummaged through a small box while she explained, “Amber asked me to get her pictures of the orphanage showing the history of the place for your project...  Here.”  Soon Hee halmoni handed her a stack of photo albums.  “You and Amber can look through these and use any pictures that you’d like for your project.”

 

“Thanks halmoni.  This is perfect!”

 

As they were just about to leave the room, there was one picture on the wall that caught her attention.  She drew closer to the picture and squinted her eyes to see it more clearly.

 

“Ah…Amber doesn’t talk about it does she?”

 

The same boyish face, the same small bright eyes, the same pursing lips, and same neutral demeanor that the toddler in the photograph had is exactly the same expression the 18-year old Amber Liu has now.

 

“Is this—”

 

“Yes.  That’s Amber.”

 

Krystal looked at Soon Hee halmoni in confusion.

 

“Amber doesn’t bring it up often.  In fact, I don’t know if she brings it up at all.  It’s public information so it’s not anything secret…but Amber lived here in the orphanage for a year…after her parents passed away.”  Soon Hee halmoni explained.

 

Questions immediately started to brew in Krystal’s mind.  It was not a new fact to her that Amber is an adopted daughter of the Hwangs.  She also knew that Amber is the remaining bloodline for JL Group after the tragedy that happened to her parents more than a decade ago.  But she had no knowledge of further details other than that known fact.  She didn’t know that Amber has stayed in an orphanage for a year.  She assumed that the Hwangs adopted her after the accident.

 

“I have only heard of the tragedy that happened to her parents.  I had no idea that Amber stayed here for a year.”

 

Soon Hee halmoni reached for the picture and smiled as she dusted the frame with her thumb.  “We had no idea that the little girl we found in the hills of Jeonju was actually the heiress of JL Group.  We had no idea that the entire world was looking for her and the world had no idea that she was here with us all along.”

 

“What happened halmoni?  What really happened in that accident?

 

The smile that halmoni had turned into a serious expression.  She carefully explained, “I am not sure if I have the answer, but all I know is that…Amber…this kid…she must have went through a lot.  She didn’t speak for the entire year.  She was scared of everyone for six months before she learned to be okay with us helping her get dressed and be finally comfortable eating her meals with us…”

 

Soon Hee halmoni paused, placing the picture frame back on the wall.  “But she always had an kindred spirit…"

 

"Come on.  We better go prepare the watermelon snack for the kids."

 


 

Krystal’s thoughts hasn’t stopped churning since she discovered that picture in that office.  She had a lot of questions like…

 

What happened 15 years ago?

 

What was she like 15 years ago?

 

Did something happen to her in that accident that made her who she is now?

 

Is that why I never saw her when we were little?

 

All questions.  All fragments of mystery that Krystal wanted to piece together.

 

After packing everything back in the SUV, the children and Soon Hee halmoni bid their goodbyes to the two girls.  Amber snagged the keys from Krystal’s hand and made her way to the driver seat before she could get her objections out.  Krystal conceded this time.

 

When they started driving, Krystal noticed the change in Amber’s mood.  She the music and tapped her fingers to the beat.  She seemed more relaxed, which put a smile on her face.  She accomplished her mission…she made Amber relax and happy again.  Well…it was the kids that made her feel at ease again, but she does have to take somewhat of a credit for bringing her here.

 

“Why are you staring at me?”  Amber raised her eyebrow at her, noticing the deep look Krystal was giving while the lingering lost thoughts of Amber continued sprawled through her mind.

 

Shaking her head, clearing , and staring straight at the road, Krystal answered, “I-I’m not…I was just…just thinking.”

 

“Thinking about me?”  Amber said with a little smirk in her tone.

 

“Ugh.”  She poked Amber’s arm and joked.  “You’re full of yourself.”

 

Amber in turn, flashed her a small impish grin.  It was like things were going back to normal again.  Or odd if you consider the next words out of Amber’s mouth normal…

 

“Thank you Krystal…for bringing me here.  I really needed it.”

 

Taken aback and surprisingly amazed by Amber's rare words, Krystal gasped and exaggerated, “Did you just say ‘thank you’?!”

 

Scoffing, Amber returned, “Don’t let it get to your head princess.”

 

Both girls giggled at the light-hearted banter that has been absent between them for the past few days.  Amber actually felt a sense of peace.  It was new discovery she found in this thing called “lingering”.  There was something about Krystal that made her feel comfortable.  Perhaps it was the effect of Krystal ethereal beauty, inside and out, that was layered with this genuine tender-hearted spirit that Amber felt…safe with.  It was different from her close friends and family whom she has grown to trust over the years.  If she had to compare it to something…it was almost the same kind of comfort she felt with her.

 

But that was where Amber has mentally drawn the line.  That was where lingering remains mere lingering, especially since her best friend has made clear his intentions and feelings for Krystal.

 

On the other hand, for Krystal, call it stubbornness, but she mastered the very art of persistence.  Krystal’s attention was fixed on Amber and the layers she was determined to unpeel.

 

So with taking a little bit of risk, trusting her unwavering gut, Krystal ventures to where no one dares to.

 

“Amber…I have a question for you and I hope you don’t get mad at me.”  Krystal fixed her body towards Amber.

 

Taking a quick glance at Krystal, Amber gave her permission, “Hmm.”

 

“I saw a picture of you in the orphanage…you were from that orphanage too, right?  That’s why this project is near and dear to you?”

 

Amber’s visceral reaction would have been to put the walls up.  But for some reason, she felt comfortable.

 

“Yes…to both your questions.”

 

Amber took another glance at Krystal.  Amber could sense her exploding curiosity.  She could sense Krystal’s sensitivity.  She could see her face all contorted, wanting to understand more, wanting to get to know her more, yet, afraid to push her away—like she’s dying to ask more questions but dares not ask them.

 

It was a look that Amber thought ethereally compelling.

 

So without giving Krystal the chance to ask, Amber took the initiative to open up a layer herself.

 

“To tell you the truth, I don’t remember much anything before the accident.  All I remembered were the strong emotions that I experienced.  I don’t even remember how I ended up that orphanage but I remember being scared and angry.  I was at the orphanage for a year—Soon Hee halmoni and the other elders there were very patient and loving despite my behavior and my problem.  I remained there until Uncle James finally found me...  I know you're dying to ask so I might as well tell you... In short, I suffered from hyper case of post-traumatic stress disorder and memory disturbance, which developed into an intermittent explosive disorder and depression when triggered.”

 

Amber paused to chuckle before continuing, “You can imagine how often I was triggered so it took me years to adjust to any type of social normalcy; even though I can admit that I still struggle with my demons…and yeah I guess you can say that I have had a very rough childhood.  Most of it bad.  Most of it have made others afraid of me.” 

 

Pausing once again, stopping at a stoplight, Amber turned towards Krystal and looked deeply into her yes as though she was searching for some hope.  And there it was, the rare vulnerability that was shown to only one person in Amber's history, Amber asked Krystal, “Does it make you feel afraid of me?”

 

With conviction, Krystal answers, “No.  I was never afraid you.  And I'm still not afraid of you."

 

In fact, it makes me feel that much more drawn to you.

 


 

The following weeks came by fast.  For the student population of JL Academy it was the upcoming Winter Formal and upcoming finals that occupied most of their attention and worries.  For Krystal and her friends it was the busyness of school and college application.  For team captain, Joohyuk, it was the upcoming district soccer match.  For the other three elites, it was the workload experience of learning about their companies piled on top of their responsibilities taking the top spot of their priorities.

 

It was another ordinary semester for JL Academy.

 

For a certain friendship, however, it was the strange fondness and unspoken trust that the two developed ever since their trip to Jeonju.  It was getting more noticeable by others how much closer the two interacted.  So close that even Kai has taken notice to address.

 

Amber, however, dismissed any suspicions regarding her relationship with Krystal as mere friendship.  Kai was too trusting of his best friend to doubt otherwise.  Nevertheless, there was a hint of threat there, in which others also raised their doubts.  But if anyone harbored any secret suspicions they had of the budding friendship that was possibly more than as claimed…perhaps today would be the day that would change all of that.

 

Amber was by her locker grabbing her 2nd period books before getting mobbed by her three friends.

 

“Bro!  After the game tonight, I am throwing a party at my condo,” Kai hooked his arm around Amber.  “And you’re going to be there whether you like it or not.”

 

Amber just rolled her eyes after shutting her locker closed.

 

“Come on!  Even Irene said she’s going to be there!  Right Irene?”

 

“Come on, Am.  Come hang out at this part with us just once,” Irene linked Amber’s free arm with hers.

 

Joohyuk added to the peer pressure, “We’re most likely going to win tonight, which means we’ll have the first seed in the playoffs.  Come on bro, come show your support.  If not for this school, come out tonight and show your support for me.”

 

Joohyuk pulled the best friend card.

 

Amber stopped in her tracks and looked at her friends.  “Fine.  But don’t force me to drink tonight!”

 

“Alright!”  Kai gave Joohyuk a high-five and cheered loudly drawing everyone’s attention in the hallway towards them.

 

“What are you guys so happy about?”

 

The four turned around towards the voice, finding Krystal, Sulli, Key and Jonghyun walking towards them.

 

Kai grinned widely seeing the girl that he has been eyeing for months now.  Amber gives Kai the credit and acknowledge his sincerity towards Krystal, which is why Amber wouldn’t contemplate anything more than a friendship when it comes to her.  To his credit, Kai kept true to his word.  He is serious with Krystal.  Serious enough not to mess around with other girls and have been on this good-boy streak for almost three months now while courting Krystal.

 

Kai threw his arm around Krystal’s shoulder and said, “Amber just agreed to come to the party tonight.”

 

In lighthearted fun, Krystal exaggerated and joked, “The Amber Liu is going to a party tonight?”  She reached her hand and placed it on Amber’s forehead in mock, “Are you sure you’re not sick or anything?”

 

Swatting her hand playfully, Amber retorted in annoyance, “Yah.  Given that you guys find this rare occasion so entertaining, I should charge you all for an appearance fee.”

 

Laughing, Krystal poked Amber’s cheek, to which everyone noticed, “Ditching your friends almost every Friday night and here you are with the nerve to charge us to hang out with you.  You’re real friend Amber.”

 

Amber tossed her a glare, to which Joohyuk cheered, “Krystal Jung with another knockout!  Krystal 10.  Amber 0.  You better step your game up bro.”  The others laughed at the two’s playful interaction except for Irene and Kai who felt secretly bothered.

 

Kai then pulls Krystal closer and says, “Come on.  Let’s grab some snacks at the café before we head to class.  I’ll buy.”

 

Amber noticed the sudden shift of mood.  She noticed Kai’s protective instinct flaring up so she takes a few steps back, physically and figuratively, pulling the reins her actions and closeness towards Krystal.  Irene also took this opportunity to grab onto Amber arm as well.

 

Krystal and Kai walked ahead while the rest of the friends trailed behind them.

 

But Krystal simply couldn't help it.  She found herself craving for Amber’s presence.  And as kind as Kai was for his gestures, Krystal yearned to be near her.  So before they could put more distance, Krystal stops and turns around to check her friends walking behind Amber.  Looking at Amber, she hollered and extended her hand, “Come on!”

 

And for some damn reason, Amber simply couldn't help it either.  The lingering has become an addiction of some sort.  And it was harder to refuse than it was easier to give in.

 

Smiling, she walked towards Krystal.

 

Paper Hearts by Tori Kelly

 

But right in her peripheral, as Amber took strides towards Krystal, she caught a familiar figure, halting her feet from moving, stopping her heart from temporarily breathing.

 

Through the hall windows, Amber's attention was unequivocally stolen.

 

No way.

 

They were on the second floor of the Senior Wing hall that overlooked the extravagant school garden.  Amber walked closer to the windows to get a better view.  Through the branches and through the red, orange and brown leaves, Amber could faintly spot, yet defintely not mistaken, the most beautiful creature that first claimed her breath away.

 

All of the friends were now curious of Amber’s change of expression.  The others followed the direction of Amber’s serious gazes and no second later were there whispered gasped heard among Amber’s three best friends.

 

Even Kai was surprised.  “B-Bro…”

 

A million thoughts.  A million memories.  A million emotions.  A million definitions for one, single person.

 

Like laser focus, the noise faded white around her, the pounding of heart exploded through her, and her feet moved faster as though desperation was its fuel.  Amber ran mad through the hall, down the stairs and made her way to garden within thirty seconds.

 

Through the trees and the branches she could make up that smile—the smile more radiant than any sun that tried to lift her spirit up on a cloudy autumn day.  However, her progress was impeded due to the garden’s detailed and meticulously laid paths that formed almost like an intricate labrynth.  She was so close, yet so far and Amber could not simply forge through to get in front of her.  Yet Amber sprinted and raced through the garden paths, catching glimpses of her that only ignited the fire even more.

 

After multiple sharp turns, finally, she’s reached her and now standing ten feet in front of her.

 

The woman was in the middle of her sentence talking and, what looks to be, touring the three other people that were walking with her.

 

Seconds--perhaps minutes--passed, with only Amber’s hard breathing and panting heard reverberating through that tranquil garden.

 

Finally, the woman whispers something to the folks with her.  They bowed and walked away, leaving the two finally alone, so close, yet still far away at ten feet.

 

Amber still panting, mustered the courage to approach her.  Now they were two feet spread.  So close, yet still far away.

 

The woman, not knowing whether to smile or cry, opened to attempt to get words out.

 

After much trouble… “A-Amber—”

 

Amber threw her hands around her, leaving no space to feel the distant intoxication.  Like a child who feared the endless wandering in a lonely forest, desperately searching for familiarity, and then finally finding that refuge she calls home, Amber shut her eyes, embraced the person in front of her like she was her lifeline.

 

Both had tears but Amber shut her eyes, preventing it from falling, while the other let it go without restraint.

 

With brittle breath, Amber finally musters the courage, drops the four words she’s been dying to say in five years...

 

“I…I…I really missed you.”

 


 

Author's Note

So...I'm back.  Thank you for your patience!  As you know...I'm all about those long chapters to make it up to you.

And damn...I did say I would shake it up just a little bit.

Comment below and let me know what you think :)

Z