CHAPTER 15

Young & Free

 

A/N:  Slight revision to the story.  I mentioned in Ch. 2 that Joohyuk specializes in Track & Field but I'm changing that to Swimming.  And yes—it's due to his god-like body inspiration from his new drama lol.  This will come into play in later chapters so just keep it mind.  ^_^


 

Quarterfinals. The JL Group Lions are peaking in the right moment. Their secret weapon: #18 in the white uniform. Practices are still perfunctory in Amber's opinion and running around the wet grass in the cold weather is still insanity in her book, but she has shown up to every single one of them leading up to the playoffs to earn her spot on the starting line-up. It was due to the promise she made of making Tiffany proud.

 

It is 2-0 Lions and they are minutes away from the moving onto the semi-finals. It is a night of undisputed showmanship by the Captain and his best friend as the JL Academy Lions race towrds another championship.  The stadium buzzes with excitement as that trophy becomes more and more palpable within their reach with each passing minute and each passing victory.

 

As the officials blew the whistle, the student section rush the field to celebrate the victory. Even Amber is all smiles as her peers approach timidly to congratulate her on her performance. Amber return their praises with a spared, yet gentle, nod and grin. She then returns to scanning the excited crowd and stops at one person she finds staring right back.

 

An inquisitive gaze overtakes Amber's visage as she sinks quickly into her deep thoughts.  Meanwhile, Krystal can't help but smile.

 

A smile is the most beautiful expression a human being can ever reveal to the world. A smile, a most genuine one, can melt through the thickest of walls, lifts up the most weary of spirits, and evoke the profoundest of passions that unhidden within a person's soul. Yet the most intriguing discovery that Amber hasn't been able to shake off lately is that beyond that, her smile—Krystal's smilemore importantly has way of making her feel comfortable, making her feel safe, making her feel better.

 

Amber simply returns it, wondering if maybe, even if for just second, maybe I make her feel the same way too.

 


 

The students quickly adjust back to the routine in the first two days of school. The bustling hallways have returned to the normal busybodies scurrying to and from classes and breaks.

 

Amber sits at her normal designated space in the corner of the room, awake and alert as she quietly observes her classmates arrive one by one. She's been trying to do this new thing. Call it a New Year's resolution if one must, but she's actually been trying to stay engaged in her classes. It was hard at first but she's learning to get use to it. Yes, all this effort may seem to only fulfill that promise to Tiffany, but it's more intrinsic than that.  It is ultimately to fulfill that promise more for herself. It is a definite and noticeable change that her peers, professors, and closest friends are aware of but no one dares to comment on to her face. For one, it's a positive change that all are hoping that would stick.

 

Amber greets her friends as they enter. She's trying to not make it obvious but she is actually keeping a close eye on the door for a particular someone.

 

"Hey Amber! Great game last night," Irene praises. "I think our chances this year has increased because you're actually playing."

 

Joohyuk slides into the seat next to Amber, "I definitely second that!"

 

Amber retorts, "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We still have a game left before the finals."

 

Just then, more students enter.  Kai enters smiling widely with his head turned behind him.  He is followed by a laughing Krystal and Sulli.

 

Amber's attention is immediately pulled toward that direction.  Kai and Krystal approache them.

 

"Bro!" He gives Amber a hug, "Dude you and Joohyuk killed it last night!"

 

Amber barely smirks as she nods her head at the compliment.  Meanwhile, she notices Krystal's pensive demeanor.  She seemed reticent, almost shy, as she takes less than a second to smile at Amber before greeting the others.  Amber notices the subtlety of Krystal's mien and makes a mental note as she continues to carefully observe Krystal and her interaction with Kai.

 

The professor arrives and the small talks are cut short as each student find their way to their seats. Amber keeps a careful eye at Krystal.  And before she knows it, the whole staring is starting to develop into a habit.

 


 

Next class in order is PEa class in Amber's mind as a complete and total waste of time. It doesn't make sense to her how there is a need for such a class when she is already in an athletic team.  Nevertheless, she obliges with the absurdity of PE and grudgingly attends it.  As she heads out towards where her classmates are gathered, she is almost tempted to skip but she is immediately pulled by Joohyuk before she could talk herself into it.

 

Since it's senior-level PE class, it has more of an independent structure.  Her classmates are free to choose whatever sport they'd like to do in the next hour or so. Some choose to jog around the track, some choose to hit the golf range, and some choose to go to the weight room to train. Joohyuk convinces her and others to play a fun pick-up game of basketball and she follows in her effort to try and make the most out of it. Surely enough, the senior class' varsity jocks are a sight in their athletic element, therefore, hordes of fangirls follow suit to watch.

 

The outdoor basketball court is not far from the track where Sulli and Krystal opted to jog around in.  Sulli and and Krystal can only scoff, giggle, and shake their heads as they witness the popularity of Joohyuk and Amber among the girls.  Krystal, of course, doesn't think much of it, but she has been occupied with thoughts of Amber for a whole week.

 

To be more specific, they haven't really talked talk. Last Monday in the library was her last real interaction and even then, not much words were exchanged.  In class, in the hallways, and even at the game last night, she's made eye contact with Amber and exchanged a few smiles but that's about it.  It has tossed Krystal into confusion. She really doesn't have a read on Amber and the fact that she doesn't have a ready on Amber is what really is bothering and occupying her thoughts these days.  She seems to just stare blankly whenever she gets the chance to see her and hasn't yet surmised whether she was actually okay or not.

 

Krystal has an inkling.  Perhaps, things are still raw and Amber is still processing Tiffany's departure.  But she's been sensing something more.  She could be entirely mistaken but the way Amber has been looking at her seemed different, or so she thinks.

 

Krystal lets these thoughts run in circles as she simultaneously encircles the track.  In her peripheral she sees Amber.  She sees her walking away from the basketball court.  She dismisses and doesn't think much about it until ten minutes later when she realizes that the tomboy hasn't come back.

 

She slows down from her jog to a walk to which Sulli notices. Krystal informs Sulli, "I'll be right back."

 

Krystal then walks towards the direction Amber went until she reaches the soccer field. She scans the area and spots a person planked on the bleachers. She's certain that it could only be one person.

 

She approaches slowly and carefully until she's sure of who it is.  And sure enough, it's Amber taking a nap.  This is the first this week she's caught Amber sleeping in school to much of her surprise.

 

She slides quietly next to Amber, careful not to wake her up. She stares at the peaceful demeanor of the sleeping tomboy contemplating on the very same thoughts that's been running through her mind lately.

 

She recalls the questions that Tiffany and Sulli have directly placed before her. She's been mulling over her feelings and the potential actions that may follow with it. She's come to acceptance with it and by it she means her attraction, her infatuation, her deep connection with Amber. However, a lot of things come to play. Number one, the timing is inconvenient. Krystal is one who objects to being just a rebound. Amber is fresh from a fallout with the first girl she's ever loved and Krystal wants to respect that space.  Number two, this connection she speaks of is only but her own interpretation. She wonders if Amber feels it too. She wonders if Amber is drawn to her too. Number three, there are other relationships at stake. In truth, Krystal has yet to give Kai a hard no. Krystal has hinted several times of her intention to be just friends but Kai's persistence still prevails in their dynamic. Plus, who was she to come between two close friends who've had each other for years?  Clearly, even the notion of getting in between the strong bond that those two have is almost unthinkable.

 

But the most pressing issue...well...despite of these flags, Krystal can't help herself.  She's drawn to her unequivocally.  Her presence pulls her and pulls her close at that.  Even as she prides herself as a person of rational and logic, there is no convincing her heart to unfeel the pull that Amber had on her.

 

Needless to say, the more she talks in her thoughts in circles the more these dynamics continue to complicate her feelings.

 

Suddenly snapping her out of her thoughts, Amber suddenly shifts her body towards her, pushes her body closer then rests her head on Krystal's lap.

 

Krystal's arms are frozen in mid air as she is taken by surprised.  It takes her three silent breaths and five seconds to finally move.  She tilts her head downward, discovering a small smirk from Amber.

 

"Just give me ten minutes," Amber whispers, her eyes closed.  Amber has gotten good at sensing Krystal's presence. She's grown to identify the hint of the lovely strawberry fragrance from Krystal's hair.  She didn't need to open her eyes to know how close she was.

 

Krystal's face flushes red and she's grateful that Amber's eyes are closed to not witness it.  She doesn't doesn't move nor does she say a word.  Instead, she sits still and lets the tomboy resume her nap.  Krystal's heart feels like it's pulsating through her chest and is felt by whole body.  She wonders whether Amber senses it.  And more importantly, she questions if maybe she has the same effect on her too.

 


 

"Psst!"

 

Joohyuk nearly has a heart attack. He turns around and finds Sulli muffling her giggles.

 

When Joohyuk noticed Krystal follow after Amber, he couldn't help but follow them too. Unbeknownst to him, Sulli had the same idea and was trailing him from behind.

 

"You scared me!" He scolds through a whisper.

 

The two were aligned in intention. They both had one mission: to spy on Krystal and Amber.

 

As they neared the soccer field, sure enough they find the two people they were looking for.  The two sneak to hide behind the closest set of bleachers and take turns peaking at the sleeping elite on the princess' lap.

 

They both smile as though they can read each other's mind.

 

Sulli's been silently trying to cheer and egg Krystal in Amber's direction ever since she's managed to get Krystal confess about her feelings.  On the other hand, Joohyuk has kept a close eye on his best friend testing his suspicions and question about her attraction for Krystal.

 

The two exchange a telling look. It was a look that confirmed their hunch about Krystal and Amber, that there is something more about their friendship that could potentially develop into something more.

 


 

Ten minutes later, Amber opens her eyes. Krystal has yet notice and for the next seconds, Amber just stares and takes it in.

 

She's some sort of breathtaking yet so unaware.

 

Amber can no longer fend of the itch.  She's completely given to this lingering.  With Krystal this close, she's momentarily undone, her will completely arrested.

 

Amber smiles as she's gone for the next minute unnoticed.  And to surprise her, she whispers, "Thank you."

 

It's a loaded thank you.  Thank you for staying by my side.  Thank you for staying close.

 

Krystal shifts and looks down at Amber, a blush of red on cheeks.  Amber takes notice of it and smirks.

 

Amber slowly sits up from her position as Krystal shuffles, mentally coaching herself to calm down.

 

After the awkward moment passes, Krystal turns her head towards Amber and musters the courage to finally ask, "Hey...how are you?"

 

Amber meets her eyes.  Amber know what that question implied.  She knows of Krystal's concern since she witnessed her mild breakdown in the library not too long ago.

 

Normally Amber would be quick to dismiss any worries that people usually have concerning her and put on a cold persona.  But the things is...she's let Krystal in already and maybe, she is willing to let her stay.

 

In all sincerity, she responds, "I'm...okay. I miss her already but I'm okay now. And I'll be okay...just like you said."

 

Krystal blushes again and another awkward silence sits in.

 

This time, Amber tries to break the ice, and stands up and does a stretch, "Wow! It's cold out here!"

 

She turns to Krystal and adds, "As payment for being my personal pillow, how about some coffee?  On me."

 

Krystal smiles and teases, "All I get is coffee? Shouldn't you ask me what I want first?  Being a personal pillow is hard work, you know."

 

Amber scoffs at Krystal's remark and plays along, "Fine. What would you like your highness?"

 

Krystal is mildly surprised by her compliance. So she tests the water to see how far Amber will go.

 

"Since I'm the princess, I think I need a personal carriage?  So how about a giving me piggyback ride anytime I want?"

 

Amber retorts, "How about no."

 

"Yah! But you asked me what I wanted and that's what I want!"

 

Amber chuckles as she negotiates, "A cup of coffe and one piggy back ride?  That's the deal.  Take it or leave it."

 

"Fine. Let's go servant."

 

Amber drops to the lower bleacher and allow Krystal to climb on her back. Amber joking pretends to fumble and grumbles at how heavy Krystal is, earning her a slap on the shoulder.

 

"Yah! I'm not that heavy!"

 

Amber giggles as he secures her grip on Krystal and says, "I'm just kidding princess."

 

It is quite clear, Amber has grown an affinity for Krystal.  She's yet to really understand what it all meant but just like this, joking, smiling, talking to her, giving her a piggy back ride, simply having her around calmed everything about her and her surroundings.  The aching strain that she's been afflicting her heart for the past week suddenly seems less painful today.  So Amber decides in that moment to just simply enjoy it and let it be.


No need to overthink it today.  She says to herself.

 

Overthinking might just complicate it.

 

 


FLASHBACK

 

It is around ten o'clock at night when Irene prepares for sleep.  She's about to slip into her soft covers before her phone buzzes on her nightstand.  Curious as to who would call her at this time, she reaches for her phone and checks the ID.

 

Fear strikes as soon as she reads the name.  His calls have increased in frequency in the last month.  Irene has ignored most of them but his texts are getting more and more threatening.

 

She decides to answer it this time.

 

"What do you want?" Irene snaps.

 

She hears a scoff at the end of the line.

 

"You finally answer and this is the kind of tone I get?  Are you sure you want to head down this road?"

 

Irene controls her rising tension as she eases the tone in her voice, "Mino, I don't want to have anything to do with you.  Please, leave me alone. Leave us alone."

 

Mino breaks out into a chilling laught.  He takes a few seconds to calm down before resuming.

 

"Wow! You've changed Irene.  Is it because of Amber?" Mino pauses.  He exhales and sends a disturbing message, "Let's just see how brave you'll be when I come back."

 

END OF FLASHBACK


 

Amber is sitting on her desk with an earphone on while she waits for class to start.  Few classmates start to pour inside as she keeps a close eye on the door for someone in particular.

 

Krystal walks in and Amber a smile automatically emanates.  In the same token, Krystal's eyes dart immediately to the corner of the room.  Naturally drawn to her, Krystal approaches Amber and greets her.

 

"Good morning.  Are you excited for the semi finals tonight?"

 

Amber chuckles and shrugs her shoulders. "I'm more excited for the weekend that's coming up. I need a break.  This New Year-New Me thing is exhausting."

 

Krystal giggles and taps Amber's shoulder, causing her heartbeat jump for a moment, "I think it's pretty impressive that you lasted all week without skipping class and napping in class...well except for PE."

 

Amber scoffs, "First of all, I think we both can agree that PE is a joke.  Secondly, I think I'm impressive either way."

 

Krystal jokingly scowls, "I don't know if you've noticed, but you know you're kind of full of yourself."

 

"Nope.  I'm just honest with myself."

 

Krystal gently slaps Amber on the side of her shoulder upon that snarky response.

 

Just then a group of classmates walk inside the classroom clamoring about the happenings outside.

 

"Daebak! I can't believe it.  Song Mino is back to JL Academy."

 

Upon hearing that name, Amber's attention immediately shifts to the other students.

 

"I thought he was expelled."

 

"More than expelled.  I thought he wasn't allowed to be anywhere near the school grounds?"

 

Amber's smile is replaced by a stone-cold expression.  She shifts her eyes to the first classmate and with a low, yet forceful tone, she asks, "What did you say?"

 

They freeze, unsure and afraid of Amber's stern voice.

 

Amber stands up from her seat and repeats her question in the same manner, "What did you say?"

 

Meanwhile, Krystal quickly absorbs the sudden shift of air around Amber and starts to worry.

 

The classmate stutters as he can barely look Amber in the eyes, "U-Uh...S-Song M-Mino.  H-He's back."

 

Krystal notices the quickness of Amber's heavy breathing and her hand tightening into balled fists.  But right as she is about to reach for them, Amber storms out of the room.

 

She walks fast, tromping with urgency and intensity with every step, past the Senior Wing towards the main foyer.  She spots Irene towards the entrance and finds another person she had hope she'd never see again.

 

Amber is triggered.  There is no stopping her.

 

As she begins to march in their direction, Irene notices her and quickly walks to block and hold Amber.  But Amber is beyond help.  Seeing his face and his presence, especially around Irene, has tipped her senses over to the dark side.  A very different Amber is awakenan Amber that has laid dormant, not having made an appearance in a long time.

 

Mino looks in her direction and smirks.  It just pushes her on the edge even more.  Irene can't help her even when she tries.

 

Amber pushes past Irene and wastes no time for greetings and then, putting all her energy into her anger, kicks Mino as hard as she can on his abdomen, causing the young man to fall backwards and onto the floor.

 

In a sinister fashion, he laughs as he gets the wind knock out of him, only to provoke and  push more a hot button.

 

Amber towers above him and roughly pulls him up by the collar, throwing a fierce fist across his face causing him to stumble backwards.  Real blod is shed, there is no doubt about it.

 

Meanwhile, the student body is in shock and have formed at contorted circle around the scene.  No on dares to intervene.  No one dares to even attempt.  They've heard of this Amber.  They feared this Amber.

 

Mino scoffs, smirking as he shakes his head and wipes his bleeding nose with his sleeve, "Is this how you greet your old friend?"

 

Amber grabs him by the collar once again, and pushes him toward one of the structural pillars. S he presses him against the wall as she rabidly shouts, "I swear if you touch her I'm gonna kill you!"

 

Mino smirks, seemingly enjoying Amber's exploding fury.

 

Amber this time shoves him to the ground.  She then reaches for his collar with one hand and winds her other arm to slog him.  Yet before she could throw it, Irene wraps her arm around her, pushing her away from Mino.  Not a second later, Kai and Joohyuk hurriedly emerge through the circle of bystanders, immediately huddling around their friend to calm the situation.

 

Irene is in tears as she pleads, "Amber please stop."

 

Kai and Joohyuk are also in defense, trying their best to contain Amber, yet angered as well upon seeing Mino.

 

Mino slowly gets up with that same smug and scowl on his face.  He spits blood from his mouth and taunts, "Well well...it seems like you guys have really missed me this much to be still dwelling in the past, holding grudges. I mean...I come in peace."  Mino mockingly throws a peace sign.

 

"Irene knows.  Right Irene?" Mino's smirk turns into a dark stare directed at Amber.

 

Amber turns her head towards Irene.  Irene looks at her with wet cheeks unable to get any word or explanation out.

 

Mino provokingly taunts, "Tell them Irene...in fact...she's known for a while."

 

Another trigger.  Amber's burst of strength fueled by anger allowed her to break free from Kai and Joohyuk.  She throws another hard fist on Mino's cheek and right as she was about ready to beat him to death, Kai and Joohyuk intervenes and pushes her away.  But Amber is absolutely possessed by her emotions that she fights to break free from her friends.

 

Then suddenly, Irene steps in between them and wraps her arms as tight as she could around Amber as she sobs in her chest, "Please Amber—please stop!  Please stop!  Please Amber!"

 

 


 

Author's Note

A bit of fluff here and there and a little bit of drama for your mama.  I did say it's going to be a highschol drama.

Anyways, I'm going to slowly reveal more layers of the different characters in JL Academy.

All will impact Kryber, of course (for the good *whispers*and for the bad).

On another note, it's thanksgivings (or was) in the US.  I'm thankful for your constant love and support for the story!

You guys are the best!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Z