CHAPTER 18

Young & Free

Amber sneaks inside the National Team’s private training facilities without any problems. Having the proper connections, the right last name, and JL Group being the primary donor for this state-of-the art training complex, Amber was given the badge and the permission to roam the highly secured grounds of this reverential Olympic estate.

 

She slides along the bleachers, focusing her attention on the fastest swimmer of the pack. She makes her own assessment of the group and deems Joohyuk still superior though he just recently joined the rest of team in training at the tail end of the football season. She covertly takes a video of Joohyuk with the intention of showing him later for his review and assessment.

 

She waits until the training ends before approaching the poolside. Joohyuk notices the out-of-place friend from the corner of his eye and walks towards her after the coach dismisses them.

 

“You look pretty good out there considering how late you started compared to the others,” Amber nods.

 

“I felt so sluggish. I could barely keep up to be honest.”

 

Amber rolls her eyes at her friend’s modesty. Bull. He outswam the closest competitor by a good seven on the 200m practice run.

 

“Tch. Whatever dude. You look like Korean Michael Phelps out there.”

 

Joohyuk shakes his head and scoffs at the comment that is meant to be light but feels more like a heavy reminder of what the entire country expects of him.

 

Joohyuk brushes it off, trying to dodge the feeling. “You’re here for me, right?”

 

“No, I’m here for Park Tae Hwan,” Amber jokes recovering from her last slip, sensing the stress her earlier comment has induced in Joohyuk.

 

”Of course I’m here for you, you . Get your showered and changed already so we can get out of here.” Amber snickers and then adds, “And hurry because the smell of chlorine is starting to corrupt my brain cells.”

 

Joohyuk retorts before leaving her friend, “I don’t think that’s how it works, you .”

 

After a quick shower and a change, Joohyuk finds Amber in the hallway slumped over a bench in the foyer, tapping intently at her device. He calls her over, and soon, they hop inside Joohyuk’s matte black Jeep Wrangler to dine in a nearby foodie barbeque joint for a late dinner.

 

They eat their delicious meal mostly in a comfortable, but tired, silence, both physically and mentally drained after a long day of training for Joohyuk and a long day of sulking for Amber. Midway through the meal, Amber is first to say something.

 

“You shouldn’t have done that,” Amber doesn’t lift her eyes from her bowl of rice, too embarrassed and regretful to look at her best friend.

 

Joohyuk picks a few pieces of cooked meat and places it in Amber’s bowl. “You have more to lose in that moment than I did. Besides, I knew your uncle would take care of it.”

 

She lifts her eyes from the meat that Joohyuk just graciously placed before her, and with remorse and remission, Amber sternly explains, “JL Group can cover it and bury as deep as they possibly could but it’s going to stay as a stain in your record forever, Joohyuk. This is serious.”

 

Joohyuk returns the sternness, “And I’m serious. They would have kicked you out of JL Academy and there would have been nothing that your aunt or uncle could do about it.”

 

“They would have covered it up.”

 

“And you think other kids won’t talk? The moment it reaches the principal’s ears, you’re done for. At least if the story is that I was the one responsible, I have been in good standing with him that I would have just received leniency, worst, a warning.”

 

Amber sighs, frustrated with the chivalry and grateful for the rare loyalty. “But still…you’re already in under so much pressure as it is.”

 

Joohyuk places a hand on her arm, “Will you just let me be a good friend? It’s the least I can do. Plus…I know you would have done the same for me.”

 

Amber taps on the hand that rested on her arm. Regret and gratefulness are the reason for her heavy sigh. She doesn’t really know how to pivot him out of his reason but she’s very grateful nonetheless.

 

With tears starting to build in her eyes, it’s her first time consciously exposing her guilt towards her friend. She bravely looks into Joohyuk’s eyes and says, “I am really sorry. I know I really ed up this time and I’m really sorry that I trapped you right in the middle of it. I don’t deserve a friend like you. I don’t deserve your loyalty.”

 

Joohyuk registers the sincerity in Amber’s voice, words, and expression. He felt that the apology is unnecessary. In his mind, Amber is that twin sister that he’ll jump to rescue and protect any given moment in any given day. She’s that friend that will always stick by his side and trust to do the same for him. In these circumstances, apologies are unneeded. So he leans in, wrapping his dear friend in an embrace. He taps her back for assurance and adds, “I will always have your back. That’s why I’m your best friend. I know if the roles were reversed, without questions asked, you would have done the same.”

 

He pulls away to flash his genuine smile, “And that’s why you’re my best friend.”

 


 

The following day, Amber gets dressed for school with the intention of attending class this time. Having resolved to make things right, she wears her premier private school attire underneath the added touch of a classic designer black velvet jacket.

 

She slips inside the classroom, laptop under one arm, the other hand in her pocket. The conversations naturally stop as they all turn their attention towards the subject of their murmurs. Amber scans the room with confidence landing her gaze on Irene who had her back turned towards her. She also takes a moment to check Krystal, who is staring at her, holding an unreadable expression.

 

Amber is saved by the entrance of their professor and she makes her way to her corner seat and pretends to engage in the lecture in the next hour, all the while contemplating her next actions, her next words towards the two people that she owed a lot to. She decides to deal with the matters at hand one at a time.

 

As soon as the class ends, right when she’s about to approach one matter, both Krystal and Irene are already halfway to the door. She takes a long disappointing breath, surmising the challenging situation that is much direr than she had expected.

 

Sulli, on the other hand, watches this unfold. She makes her approach towards the tomboy, hoping to lessen her disappointment.

 

“Glad to see you show up today,” Sulli quips, walking towards Amber.

 

“That makes you and Joohyuk the only ones,” she retorts grabbing her laptop from her desk.

 

“Don’t be too upset. For one, no one really knows how to address the giant elephant in the room. Honestly, the aversion is mostly due to the awkward circumstances.”

 

“I’m not really sure if that’s supposed to make me feel better,” Amber replies.

 

“I’m just saying. It’s not that she hates you or anything like that. It’s just…awkward.”

 

Amber leans against her desk, half-sitting, half-irritated, half-dejected at the pressing situation that is eating at her conscience. She had plenty of time to think about Krystal during the weekend. And every time she does, her stomach churns and her mental health plummets as she contemplates the loss of her chances and the ing ground she now has to recover after ing up every opportunity presented to her by Krystal. Today is no different.

 

“Sulli, be honest…” This is the first time she’s looking to Sulli for advice, let alone speak to her at this length. Sulli is surprised but more than happy to be a listening ear.

 

“Do you think I still have a chance with Krystal?”

 

Sulli suppresses her excitement but contains it with a small smile. She probes deeper, “And what kind of chance are you exactly hoping for?”

 

“You know what I mean,” Amber states plainly. “I really like her. I just…I’m afraid that I maybe already lost the chance to tell her.”

 

This time she couldn’t restrain her expression. Sulli beams at Amber’s unexpected confession.

 

“You have a lot of making up to do, that’s for sure.”

 

Sulli then offers Amber something to think about, “But do want to know something, Amber? Do you know where your problem is when it comes to Krystal?”

 

Sulli pauses, Amber furrowing her eyebrows, listening closely. “Sometimes I think you underestimate Krystal too much. And I think…Krystal is willing to give you more chances than you think you deserve. Because she’s that kind of girl, that kind of person. And if I were you, I wouldn’t waste another second, especially if it’s obvious you’re the only one she’s giving a chance to.”

 

Amber internalizes the advice. She thanks Sulli before saying goodbye, before gathering the courage to continue her resolve.

 


 

Amber spots Irene by her locker. This was the critical first step she must address before she makes a move towards Krystal. Out of respect, out of basic human decency, she owed this to Irene first.

 

Amber stands in between the locker door and Irene. As soon as Irene shuts it, she is surprised to see Amber right in front of her. A flood of emotions—guilt, embarrassment, and longing—rush to overwhelm her in the moment.

 

“Can we please talk?” Amber softly pleads.

 

Irene blinks, providing the excuse, “Class is starting in less than five minutes.”

 

Amber shakes her head as she’s checking her watch. She then peeks at the textbook Irene held in her arms.

 

“Finance can wait. This is more important.”

 

“Amber—”

 

Before Irene could protest, Amber grabs Irene by the wrist and leads her outside of the parking lot towards Irene’s car. She grabs her purse and pulls the key fob out of a pocket and opens the passenger door for Irene, escorting her inside.

 

They drive in silence, neither one willing to start the must needed conversation inside the vehicle. Minutes later, Amber pulls up at corner hole-in-the-wall restaurant that is familiar to both. She stops the engine and opens the door for Irene. Irene feels all the more nervous and hesitates to come out of the car even as Amber is holding the door, patiently waiting for her with the kindest smile.

 

She yields to the occasion and allows Amber to lead her inside. Once they take their seat, Amber proceeds to order their favorite—rather Irene’s favorite.

 

“A large order of your cheesy tteokbokki and a side of coke for both of us. Thank you.”

 

After the waitress leaves to send the ticket to order, Amber quips, “Skipping one session of Finance shouldn’t hurt you. You’re a finance and economics genius after all. If you ask me, your time would be much more useful in the actual stock exchange instead of a boring lecture by a boring professor who probably doesn’t nearly know as much as you.”

 

Amber manages to relieve the tension seeing as Irene responded with that smile she hasn’t seen in a long time.

 

“Funny that you mention that. My father doesn’t quite share the same opinion and thinks that time in Cambridge or Oxford next year would be optimal for my experience,” Irene retorts.

 

“No disrespect to uncle, but I beg to differ,” Amber smirks, “You could be making millions for him right now.”

 

“The millions is not the issue,” Irene is quick to add using her fingers as air quotes, “It’s the people in that exclusive circle. He calls them ‘connections and potential merger candidates’ he wants me to consider.”

 

Amber chuckles as she rolls her eyes, “I can’t believe they’re already pushing you in that direction. Don’t you think it’s a little cliché these days?”

 

Irene mocks Amber’s naivete, “Cliché or not, every detail of our lives—what university we should attend, whom we should marry, where we should live—all of it is bound to be force-fed into our lives eventually whether we like it or not. Don’t tell me uncle James and aunt Michelle haven’t started their arrangement talks yet?”

 

“Please, that is probably the least of their concern at the moment. They’re still figuring out how to make sure I graduate this year,” Amber self-deprecatingly submits as she’s flashing her ironic smile.

 

The light banter suddenly turns serious as flashes of last weekend is triggered in Irene’s memory upon Amber’s passing admission. She’s the reason, perhaps maybe not directly, for the behavioral probation Amber is in the mercy of. The guilt sinks in once again and she retreats further into her seat, unable to connect her eyes with the other.

 

Amber notices the shift in expression. She then tries to salvage the moment by casually mentioning, “Don’t worry. All of you—you, uncle, aunty, Tiffany, Joohyuk, Kai—seriously, you all should stop worrying too much about me.” She exhibits her honest confidence with a sure smile, “I’m going to graduate this year like my life depended on it.”

 

Amber adds to relieve more tension, “Plus...there’s no way I’m just gonna let you become valedictorian that easily.”

 

Irene rolls her eyes, Amber accomplishing her job. “I guess it wouldn’t be as interesting if it was too easy without you anyways.”

 

A moment later, the food arrives at their table. Amber scoops a plateful and places it in front of Irene before serving herself. They both lean forward towards the scrumptious snack while taking a mouthful, careful not to splatter on their pristine uniforms. Irene takes her first bite, savoring the flavors of her favorite snack, also aware that she swiped the sides of her lips with the red sauce. Naturally, almost instinctively, Amber pulls a few tissues from the napkin dispenser and reaches forward to wipe the red sauce from Irene’s lips.

 

To Irene, it was these little things that sum up to the feelings that she has developed for the tomboy over the years. It was probably out of habit, years of taking care of each other, the long understanding of their friendship of looking out for one another. But it was this same unspoken regard for each other that has gotten her heart into trouble and if Irene hopes to prevent the recent events from repeating, she has to confront it once and for all.

 

Irene places her chopsticks on top of a napkin as she takes a drink of her coke. She keeps her focus tended towards the girl in front of her who is wearing the same pensive stare, also negotiating with timing of how to confront the giant elephant in the room. This has to be the crossroad. This has to be inevitable conversation that they both need to provide some closure and clarity in the recent misunderstandings and confusion.

 

“Amber...” Irene takes the initiative, “You don’t have to take care of me. I know you’re only doing it because you feel guilty.”

 

Amber scrunches her eyebrows while Irene continues. “What happened a long time ago wasn’t your fault. It was Mino who tried to hurt me, not you. It was because of you that Mino was not able to hurt me completely.”

 

“Amber...” Irene flashes an honest smile, “I remember everything I said last Friday. And I meant every single thing I said. I have fallen for you and it’s because of this.” Irene pauses, take a deep breath before resuming.

 

“It’s because you take care of me so well. You protect me. You’re always by my side. And for the longest minute, I thought that maybe it was because you felt the same way about me.”

 

Amber’s chest tightens at the Irene’s revelation, realizing that she played a part in her friend’s unhappiness all this time. After all, when it comes to unrequited love, she knows the agony from experience.

 

Irene gathers the courage to lay it all plainly, “I finally realize though that it was because you probably felt guilty all this time.”

 

Amber shakes her head, “That’s not true.”

 

“Maybe not completely. But you know—Amber I know, you know—a part of you always looked at me with guilt and sorry. And today, can we set the record straight once and for all?”

 

Irene reaches over the table for Amber’s hand, “I release you from the guilt. And you need to release me from it too. It’s the only reason why Mino has so much currency in his actions. It’s because he wants us both to suffer in the guilt of what neither of us had the power to control.”

 

“I need you to stop looking at me like I’m broken. I’m a lot tougher and smarter than I look,” Irene gives Amber’s a hand a squeeze as she chuckles, “For chrissake Amber, I’m JL Academy’s Class President and number two in rankings for a reason.”

 

Amber smiles, hearing the added lightness.

 

“And...” Irene continues, “You can’t just lean over with a napkin to wipe my face and think that I won’t misinterpret it for something else, something more.”

 

Irene heaves a massive sigh as the impact of her confession starts to sink in.

 

“I already know you can’t return the same affection to me,” Irene’s lips curves for a half-smile, “I have seen the way you look at her. She looks at you the same way too.”

 

Irene reaches for Amber’s cheek giving it a pinch inciting a grumble from the other, “And I don’t think she’d appreciate you this close and this protective of someone else either. So for both of our sakes, maybe you can tone down on your knight-and-shining-armor tendencies a little bit towards me?”

 

Amber chuckles, thanking the heavens for the unexpected turn of events. She jests, “Why do I feel like I just got dumped?”

 

They both laugh, atmosphere reduced to a sweetness and lightness shared by two honest friends. Irene takes another bite of tteokboki and as she chews, she dramatically pulls out a napkin from the dispenser and taps on her own lips for emphasis.

 

Amber shakes her head beaming widely at the gesture.

 

A second later, she folds her hands together, leaning forward on the table to give Irene her assurance. “Irene, you’re one of my best friends. I’ll always want to protect you and I’ll always want to be in your corner.”

 

“And I’m not saying you should stop,” Irene retorts, “I just don’t want you do it out of guilt. I want us to be friends for a very long time without the guilt, without all of this confusion. I want us to be honest with each other from now on.”

 

Amber nods taking a breath of relief. “Okay. Deal.”

 

Amber extends her hand for a handshake. Irene reaches for her hand but before she could shake it, Amber pulls her hand back.

 

“Make me a promise first.”

 

Irene her eyebrow as she entertains the offer.

 

“I’ll cut down on the territorial, overbearing, misleading tendencies. You’ll cut down on the drinking...for good.”

 

Irene rolls her eyes taking Amber’s hand, “Deal.”

 

“So are we okay? Are you okay...you know...with Krystal and I?”

 

Irene playfully wears a smug while leaning back with her arms crossed. Underneath the beautiful smile, her heart still stings with regret. Though there is a part of her that still desperately wants to hang on, she musters the courage to let the feelings finally go.

 

In her cool and confident fashion, she takes the first step towards her own form of liberation, “You have my blessing, if that’s what you’re looking for. Don’t worry, I’ll get over it. You know what they say. First loves never work out anyways.”

 

Amber scoffs at the ironically relatable statement, “Yeah, they really don’t.”

 

“In all seriousness,” Irene leans forward, “At the end of the day, I just want to see you happy, Am.”

 

Irene leans forward and offers her a sincere smile and extends her hand, “Friends?”

 

Amber ever so lightly tightens her grip, “Best friends.”

 


 

The following day, Amber has resolved to attempt to put things in order with the most important person that has dominated her thoughts in the last few days, maybe even weeks, maybe in the past three months or so. With Yuri’s advice, Sulli’s encouragement, and now with Irene’s blessing, she’s finding some momentum and confidence once again. So there she was, sitting nervously while watching the door.

 

A few things Amber is known for in this high school: when it comes to academics, she is the undisputed leader. When it comes to reputation, she is the most notorious. When it comes to composure, she’s the cold, unaffected, detached, and elusive chaebol whom most revere. But she’s not known for this nervousness, or the shaking-leg syndrome that accompanies it, or the telling scrunch on her face, exposing a much different shade of her personality.

 

It’s almost time for second period and Amber still hasn’t caught a sighting of Krystal. She was absent from first period and she thought that maybe she’s just coming in late today. It is almost time for the next class and most of her classmates have trickled into the classroom, yet there are still no signs of Krystal. At this point, Amber resolves to take matters into her own hands.

 

She approaches Luna and lightly pats her on the shoulder to get her attention. Turning around, Luna slightly gasped in surprise to find Amber. She hesitatingly converts a greeting into a question, “Um hi?”

 

“Hi.”

 

There’s an awkward silence for a second but Luna quickly picks up on the nonverbal cue—the face crunch and the fidgeting fingers..

 

“Uhh…” Amber scratches the back of her neck by force of nervous habit.

 

“Do you know where Krystal is? Do you know if she’s coming in today?”

 

Luna’s suspicions were spot on and now she’s beaming with Amber’s implicit confirmation.

 

Now Luna is curious and wants to milk this moment a little bit more than she wisely should. She crosses her arms and questions, “Why do you need to know where she is? And what if I tell you she’s not coming in today?”

 

The lack of patience and her sensitive temperament due to the former is starting to surface even more.

 

Amber inhales and exhales in slow motion to temper her growing annoyance. She knows that she better be cool than lose out on aggravating the only person who could help her in this moment.

 

She says matter-of-factly, “I need to talk to her about something and I was really hoping I could do that today.”

 

Luna grins as she pokes, “Why is that something so important that it can’t wait, say…tomorrow?”

 

Inhale. Exhale.

 

“Look…” Amber bites down a few times, locking her jaw to restrain the frustration. The reaction did not go unnoticed and Luna is on the verge of breaking character.

 

“There’s something that I need to tell her,” Amber is now fully expressing her sincerity, “I have waited way too long and yes, I recognize that I have place myself in my own predicament. But that is precisely why I need to know where she is. So I could find her. So I could finally tell her. So I could finally be honest with her.”

 

Inhale. Exhale.

 

With pleading eyes, Amber requests, “Please Luna…there are very few certain things in life that can’t wait while most things can. I am an idiot for just realizing that this is one of them that really can’t any longer.”

 

Luna offers her a genuine smile and friendly squeeze on the shoulder. She discovers a new side to Amber that she always held in question all this time while she watched her close friend develop affection for her. She realizes and recognizes this to be the reason why. Amber can be cold and temperamental, but surprisingly warm while being honest.

 

“You really like her, don’t you?” Luna takes the risk with the question.

 

Amber doesn’t hesitate, “More than you could possibly imagine.”

 

Luna beams and is assured that perhaps her friend is in good hands after all.

 

“Tell you what,” Luna clasps her hands together, “Krystal is not coming in today, so luck is really not on your side.”

 

Amber’s immediate dejection surfaces with another long sigh. Luna then adds, “But I can tell you she’s with Sulli. They’re both at Seoul University for a college visit.”

 

Amber perks up and returns the smile. She pats Luna on the arm and says, “Thank you Luna. Really. Thanks.”

 

Amber grabs her belongings and heads to the doors. But before could make her escape, her professor obstructs her way, forcing her to backpedal from her position.

 

“Class is starting. Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Amber’s patience is once again getting put to test. Inhale. Exhale.

 

“I’m sorry professor, but I have to go.”

 

The professor puts her hand out to stop further progress.

 

“Amber, this is the fourth time you’re skipping my class in the span of two weeks. I don’t think so.” The professor motions her hand at the direction of her seat. “Please sit down.”

 

There is a moment of hesitation but the urgency to see Krystal eclipses the need to contemplate the consequences. She bows and steps around the professor to exit.

 

Amber pauses only to turn around to bow once more before leaving the room, leaving the school, leaving the alternative scenarios behind because there are many things in life that can wait and Krystal, in her perfectly biased opinion, is one that no longer can.

 

Against better judgment, Amber convinces Chief Donghae to let her take the car. She is her boss after all and in all honesty, it didn’t take much do it. All he needed to hear were the words ‘Krystal’ and ‘Please Chief’ and see the genuine urgency in Amber to break code in his duties. He takes a deep breath and crosses his fingers as he watches her drive away hoping that there is happiness at the end of this for the young chaebol he has grown to admire and protect. And in the same breath, he is sending prayers to heaven that by tomorrow he still has his job.

 

Amber speeds through traffic making it to the university in less than an hour. The moment she arrives, it finally dawns on her that the task at hand is lot more complicated than she realized. There are approximately over five thousand students, not including faculty and staff, that roam the grounds of this university campus that stretched under two thousand acres. Krystal could be roaming anywhere. Nevertheless, Amber accepts the challenge and starts with the most obvious place.

 

She follows the sign post that will lead her to the quad, an open space hub at the center of the campus that is the most foot-trafficked area. She scopes the space and to her dismay the place is swarming with too many people. Normally these types of crowds are an absolute nightmare and the first thing in her mind would be to escape and retreat to somewhere quieter. She’s finding that she’s doing all sorts of unusual things today just to get to her objective.

 

Like this next action for one…

 

She approaches the fellow holding up a small flag that bore the colors of the school. Right behind him was a group of students trailing who had welcome packets and brochure tucked underneath each arm. Putting two and two together, she takes a gander in assuming that these are high school students in the middle of their campus tour.

 

“Excuse me,” Amber taps the young man with the flag, blatantly interrupting the tour. Here was another thing that Amber is not known for: talking to strangers and unfamiliar people.

 

“Yes?” The tour guide gives her a piqued look due to the disruption she just caused.

 

“I apologize for interrupting. Is this for a campus tour for high school students?” She takes quick glance at the others who are eyeing her with curiousity.

 

The tour guide answers, “Yes.”

 

“Great. My name is Amber Liu, I am a high school senior from JL Academy here for a college visit and I must have lost my other classmates,” she attempts to explain. “I’m looking for my group and was wondering if there was any way of finding them?”

 

The other students huddled around that tour guide raise their eyebrows in speculation. JL Academy is after all the most infamous of all elite educational institutions known as the breeding ground of chaebols in all of Korea so no wonder why these group of students are looking at Amber with curiosity and snobbery.

 

Amber dismisses the looks and maintains her focus.

 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can help you out,” the tour guide submits. “But we are convening for lunch shortly and it’s usually with the rest of the students who are here for the college visit. There’s a chance that you may find them there. In the meantime, feel free to join us if you’d like.”

 

Amber nods her head, follows this group of students as the tour resumes. Slightly annoyed, once again triggered by the impatience, she grudgingly plays along with it and mindlessly follows the tour guide around the campus while receiving more information about the school, its history, its brand more than she could usually palette.

 

Twenty minutes in, Amber feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. She pauses from walking and places some distance between her and the pack before answering the call.

 

“Yah! You skipped again?!” Joohyuk reprimands. “Where the hell are you and what the were you thinking?! You know the entire faculty is already on your about your every move.”

 

“I know. But this is important,” Amber speaks softly so as to not draw attention to herself from the others.

 

“I’m just saying, you’re looking at a weekend detention at the minimum!” Joohyuk adds a dramatic scoff, “Not to mention some fire and blood from your very own parents!”

 

“You’re being overdramatic,” Amber retorts, “You all need to relax. I’m at a school. Just not our school.”

 

“Oh you think you’re so funny? Even Yuri sunbae is blowing up my phone, chewing my out for not handcuffing you to your desk!”

 

Amber chuckles at Joohyuk’s outburst. She knows that her recent actions have definitive consequences than she gives weight to, but that is precisely the problem. The last thing she cares to contemplate right now are the repercussion of her actions. That can wait.

 

Amber tries to alleviate some worry by providing her perfectly excusable context, “I’m at Seoul University because I need to see Krystal.”

 

Joohyuk only responds with a sigh on the other end. “I swear to God, Amber, just once, I wish I could just punch you in the face. That way maybe some sense can get knocked into you in the process. But because I’m your best friend…”

 

Joohyuk’s voice fades in the back as she catches a sight of ethereal beauty in her periphery. She is walking with another group of students with Sulli trailing behind.

 

She notices something unsettling though. As they are walking into the same building her group is heading to, she catches a sight of that charming smile with that irresistibly contagious laughter elicited by another flag-holding male who is walking uncomfortably close to Amber’s liking next to Krystal.

 

Yes, perhaps this is some practical joke played by the universe to shove it in her face that she’s the clown for waiting too long to take her chance with a girl like Krystal.

 

But no, not today. Not today flag-holding-college-dude-Satan.

 

“Joohyuk, I’ll call you back.” Ambers hangs up the phone and bolts toward Krystal and her tour group.

 

Amber makes her approach and Sulli is first to be surprise by Amber’s presence. As Sulli is about to call out to Amber, Amber reaches for Krystal’s hand and tugs on it to physically sway her attention from Flag Satan.

 

Krystal looks at her with shock and Flag Satan also stops, redirecting his attention to the abrupt interruption. At this point, the group also pause to witness the commotion.

 

“Amber?” Krystal has a momentary mental lapse, still in the middle of synchronizing the last five seconds of reality with the sudden spike of her heartbeat.

 

Amber, without any thoughts about her actions—not any thoughts at all, for that matter—asserts her alpha by pulling Krystal behind her while she glares at Flag Satan and tells him, “Excuse you.” She may have meant to say, “Excuse me” but the semantics are all but intentional at this point.

 

“I need to talk to Krystal,” she says sharply.

 

Flag Satan is smart enough to read the vibe that Amber is emitting but is rather confused to be offended or not by the unkindly intrusion.

 

Meanwhile, Krystal has recalibrated and is finally back up to speed. Of course, even though Amber has the power to make her heart flutter just by her sheer presence, she can still find Amber’s impulse often rude and uncalled for—something she has never had the problem of calling out.

 

“Yah!” Amber pulls her hand from Amber’s grip instantly causing Amber to look behind her to find a glaring ethereal beauty. She gives Amber a look that says “What the !” before shifting her attention back to Flag Satan.

 

“I’m so sorry for this, Taecyeon oppa.” Krystal apologizes.

 

Taecyeon oppa? Oppa?! They’re on a first name-informal basis already—what the ?!

 

“Yah!” Amber bursts forgetting that there are many people around them.

 

Without turning back to Amber, Krystal tries to push her away from behind as she’s tipping her head towards the other students in embarrassment. Sulli is trying to contain her own amused reaction as she’s watching all of this transpire to which Krystal mouths, “Thanks for being so helpful!”

 

As Krystal is pedaling backwards, she apologizes, “I’m sorry, I just need a second.”

 

Flag Satan “Taecyeon Oppa” misinterprets it for discomfort and audaciously intervenes by reaching for her wrist to stop her. “Wait! Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

The gesture did not fail evade to Amber and now she’s triggered.

 

She pulls Krystal back, this time with some territorial force. Amber then stands between Flag Satan and Krystal with an absolute resolve to shade some gray lines thick as black. “Again, excuse you.”

 

“Excuse me?” Flag Satan is now ruffled. “Who the hell do you think you are?”

 

Amber scoffs, subconsciously gripping Krystal’s hand tighter as she snarls at Flag Satan, “Excuse you because you are touching my girlfriend.”

 

Three levels of shock are at play her. The first tier is from unknown student-bystanders who are now secretly readying their devices for a potential fist fight. The second tier is from Sulli and Flag Satan Taecyeon Oppa who are more or less secondhand parties involved in the situation. Flag Satan now gets the hint but still feels the need to defend his reputation from the disrespect. Sulli, on the other hand, is shocked, mixed with thrill, at Amber’s latest admission. This was a long time coming and boy was she glad to be on the scene to see it happen firsthand.

 

The third most important tier form of shock at play here is the one that is coming from Krystal herself. She doesn’t know whether to be overjoyed or livid with the newly divulged information. But before she allows another mental lapse to disable her, a potential altercation brewing at hand is the more pressing matter to address.

 

She pulls Amber back once again and calmly scolds her, “Calm. Down.”

 

She quickly turns around to Flag Satan Taecyeon Oppa and gives him an apologetic look, “I’m sorry, oppa. Don’t worry, everything is fine, we just need a minute. Now if you’ll excuse us.” Krystal pulls Amber away from the group and away from anyone within an earshot distance.

 

Once the coast is clear and safe, Krystal stops and turns around to face Amber with arms crossed, “Really?”

 

Amber is still ticked, “What?”

 

Really, Amber?” Krystal drawls with disapproving emphasis.

 

This time it sinks in. “Okay, I’m sorry for losing my cool a little bit just now.”

 

“A little bit? No, you were a total .”

 

Inhale. Exhale.

 

“It’s just that…that dude was totally hitting on you!”

 

“And what does that have anything to do with you if he was?” Krystal opens the pandora’s box. “Girlfriend? Really, Amber?”

 

Inhale. Exhale.

 

She ed it up from the second she let her impulses get the best of her and she knew it. This was not how she imagined her confession to be delivered. Again, it was her damn fault. This was a predicament of her own making. But she’s come so far in her resolve that to back out now would be a blatant act of cowardice. There’s no use in dancing around it. There’s no use in trying to walk things back. Dropping titles like “girlfriend” is not something one can just overlook or take back. It’s now or never. Do or die. And Do and Now are the only words that resonate.

 

“I’m sorry.” Amber takes the moment to really look Krystal in the eyes before digging deep for courage. She takes a small step towards her and breathes deep once more.

 

“If you felt that what I did and said were out of place then I’m sorry. But I’m not sorry for why I did and said those things.”

 

Krystal’s frustration doesn’t subside, but she finds her demeanor slowly softening and her stomach beginning to feel light while her chest starts to tighten simultaneously.

 

Amber continues, “I’m an idiot for not kissing you that night. I’m an idiot for not doing it any sooner either. I’m an idiot because I should have told you t-that…” the nervousness catches up with the adrenaline that Amber stutters.

 

She pauses, gathering her composure as she leans into the adrenaline, “I-I should have told you t-that I’m potentially...I-I guess more than likely...w-well most probably—ah it! Krystal, I really like you.”

 

Krystal finally cracks the tiniest of smiles while Amber continues, “And when I saw Flag Satan I—”

 

“Who?” Krystal piped.

 

“That oppa ing tour guide.”

 

“Taecyeon oppa?”

 

“Yes—Flag Satan.”

 

Krystal flashes a smile, shaking her head and starts to explain, “First of all, Taecyeon oppa is my cousin and he’s also a very close sunbae from my old high school. When I was just a freshman and he was still a senior at Harbor. Second of all, he’s engaged to a close unnie of mine.”

 

“Oh.” Amber feels a wave of relief and a tinge of embarrassment. She feels seemingly caught out, like a deer in the headlights and is momentarily struggling to pivot away from the embarrassment.

 

Seconds later, she decides to deflect. “But that’s not my point!”

 

Amber reaches for Krystal’s hands and squeezes them to reinforce what she’s been trying to convey. “What I came here to say is that...

 

Amber takes another step closer. The frustration that Krystal has held in for weeks are finally finding its resolve and all the questions she’s had in her mind are coming to full circle. Amber looks into Krystal eyes that were searching deeply back into hers and right then she knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that this girl had her completely surrendered. Without hesitation, she strings the abstract sensation built up in her chest together into finite words. Not wanting to delay another second, she lets her heart take the leap this time.

 

“Let me start over...”

 

“Krystal...I know that I’m not the kind of person that deserves someone like you. You are eons beyond my league, let alone the kind of girl that should even be entertaining half of the that being associated with me comes with. I know for a fact that you are that girl who is too good to be true in every aspect of my imagination. Hell, if someone were to ask me to describe that girl—the girl that I pictured in my wildest dreams—maybe at best I could only conjure a small fraction of you. Krystal, to me you are that girl plus so much more.”

 

Krystal’s heartbeat races with every word that she could feel her face heat up and eyes well up with emotions.

 

“And here I am. A hot ing mess ninety-nine point nine percent of the time but with a little help from luck, I’m now standing in front of that girl,” Amber smiles and lightly scoffs while Krystal chuckles.

 

“I’m smart enough to know that I am criminally unworthy should I even dare to think that I am entitled to have a slight chance with that girl. I guess I’m pushing my luck today especially when I know it is of most outrageous undeserving imposition to even ask her to be mine. But it’s almost impossible not to when she’s right here and I’m holding her hands.”

 

Amber pulls Krystal, taking her hands to wrap around her waist while she cups her face.

 

Amber looks into her ocean eyes with sincere affection and longing and whispers, “So yes. Girlfriend. Really. Only if you’ll have me.”

 

Krystal chuckles while pressing her head against Amber’s chest, squeezing Amber in the embrace. Now it’s Krystal’s turn to sigh against her chest overwhelmed with the feelings of joy and relief.

 

Amber, on the other hand, does not know what to read of it, but she allows Krystal to place her weight against hers while her arms wrap around her tightly. Krystal has not managed to push her away or reject her yet so she’s erring on the side of hopeful reciprocation.

 

After a few seconds of silent waiting, Krystal leans back to meet Amber’s gaze. She couldn’t deny the feeling of falling in the state of merely drowning in someone else’s eyes. She blinks a few times to make sure the feeling, the words, the person aren’t just figments of her daydreams or imagination.

 

Out of anxious spur, Amber breaks the silence, “Is that a yes? Or are you still mad? Or...”

 

Krystal huffs, grinning while she adds sarcastically, “Livid.”

 

Amber mirrors the smile. “How do I make it up to you then?”

 

“Hmm,” Krystal jests, “You did say something about kissing me sooner earlier.”

 

Amber beams wider as she cups Krystal’s soft cheeks. She brushes the loose strands of hair behind her ear. She gently caresses her cheek while the touch sends Krystal to an almost panicked exhilaration.

 

Amber could only fix her focus on Krystal’s lips. “I did, didn’t I?”

 

Krystal inches closer staring right back at Amber’s. “Mmhm.”

 

“Only if you’ll have me. Only if you’ll let me.”

 

“I guess you’ll just have to try to find out.”

 

Amber gently takes Krystal’s lips with hers. Silence fireworks erupt in both their chests as they seal the longing they both yearned for in this sacred closeness. For Amber, this was nothing short of a form of mercy. Up to this point, there was nothing she could even recall achieving to deserve this kind of happiness. Krystal came into her life without warning and has proved to be a faithful shore of a paradise in the midst of the journey riddled with tumultuous winds and storms.

 

Amber knew that she could be wrong about a lot of things, but today she was right about this one thing: most things in life can wait...this is the few and far between that certainly couldn’t any longer.

 


 

The drive home seemed surreal. Krystal in her passenger seat. Her hands intertwined with hers. The late afternoon sunset providing the backdrop to all the ecstasy that is felt in that car. The short kisses on red lights. The sound of Frank Ocean melodies providing the mood. It’s hard to believe the change of luck that could happen in less than a few hours.

 

Krystal’s phone lights up and buzzes in a measured cadence on her lap. An incoming call from her sister is displayed on the screen.

 

Krystal swipes to take the call. “Hello?”

 

“Hi. Where are you?”

 

“On our way back from Seoul University.”

 

A short silence pause followed by a stern question, “Are you with Amber?”

 

Surprised, Krystal hesitantly answers, “Yeah. She’s taking me home right now. Why, what’s up?”

 

“Tell Amber to park in the driveway. Let her know to stay for dinner.”

 

Krystal agrees and says goodbye to her sister. She informs Amber of Jessica’s instruction and thinks nothing of it right until minutes later when she arrives in front of the Jung’s residence.

 

The deep blue BMW X6 parked on the driveway serves the visual reminder of the consequences Amber chose to delay earlier in the day. It was Yuri’s car. Simple deduction would inform Amber that a reckoning is awaiting inside that house in the form of two disappointed and more than likely irritated sunbaes. Perhaps she was too quick to assume that luck can’t manage to turn once again in less than a few minutes.

 

“Ah ,” Amber mumbles under her breath as she parks on the driveway as instructed.

 

Krystal catches Amber’s reaction. “What?”

 

“How mad would you be if I just drop you off for the night?” Amber flashes a contorted apologetic smile.

 

“Very. What’s wrong?”

 

Amber sighs. She’s knows this much. There’s no use trying to evade the issue, not when she’s fresh off pledging her commitment to the girl who was so willing to give her a chance.

 

“I may have caused some problems again at school,” Amber starts to explain.

 

Krystal’s eyes widen with worry but Amber cuts in to damper the increasing concern. “I didn’t get into a fight or anything. I just…skipped school. You know, minor stuff, nothing new,” Amber explains, attempting to reduce the graveness of her action with the playfully dismissive tone.

 

She adds some flare to her excuse, “Hey, it’s the cost of grand romantic gestures!”

 

Krystal crosses her arms, not buying it, “And that’s supposed to make me feel what? Impressed? Amused?”

 

Inhale. Exhale. Amber turns her body towards Krystal and reaches for hands. She lowers her head in admission and looks at her apologetically, “No. I have zero excuses.” Amber pulls Krystal’s hands towards her lips as she plants soft kisses that manages to melt Krystal a little bit.

 

“But I have zero regrets either.”

 

Krystal could only roll her eyes. “Well...you said it yourself. It’s the cost to your grand romantic gesture.”

 

Krystal half frowns, but secretly feels half enthused, and it’s enough for Amber to give in. She turns off engine and reluctantly follows Krystal inside the house. They walk hand in hand following the delicious scent coming from the kitchen to find Jessica and Yuri placing the food and the dinnerware on the nook table. Yuri looks up to see the teenagers and takes a silent note of the intertwined hand that covertly parted as they greeted her.

 

“Perfect timing. Come sit,” Yuri gestures towards the table where the spread is laid out. Jessica still has her back turned against them as she’s pulling out a lasagna tray from the oven.

 

Amber pulls a chair, helping Krystal to sit, to which Yuri takes another mental note of. Only then does Jessica finally directs her attention to the two teenagers and without expression, she places the tray in the middle of the table, gives Krystal a short side hug before taking her seat next to Yuri.

 

Jessica just eyes Amber without saying anything to which Amber is reacting nervously. Amber is not so sure how to read the tension in the room. Neither Jessica or Yuri gives off that warm vibe, yet neither do not appear hostile at the same time.

 

Yuri, the more welcoming sunbae of the two, cuts in before the tension gets any more pronounced. “I’m sure you two are hungry,” nodding towards Krystal and Amber, “Come. Let’s eat.”

 

They eat in a tense, yet comfortable silence, if the two can even coexist. Jessica is doing some mental computations in her head as she silently partakes her meal.

 

Jessica could say that her day started perfectly normal with her regular morning meetings at the office. It was all routine until she receives a few phone calls and text messages that will then rob her of the mundane.

 

For one, she gets an overseas call from her boss, James Hwang, alerting her of another issue at JL Academy concerning a particular problematic chaebol. Per usual, the CEO apologetically requests Jessica to take care of this family matter on their behalf. In any normal circumstance, such lines are boldly drawn out to separate the two worlds, but nothing about her life, her career, her involvement with JL Group, and the Hwangs have ever been normal. There is a noble sense of duty, fastened by authority, that compels and drives Jessica Jung to naturally agree to pick up the pieces when disaster ensues. Amber just happens to be her most important obligation.

 

Another text message came much later. It is from a close relative, Ok Taecyeon, who volunteered information Jessica already suspected but was not yet privy to. The text read: “It was good to see Krystal today. It was nice to meet her girlfriend too.”

 

As Jessica glances at the couple, and particularly the person that her sister now is apparently dating, there is a part of her that cannot shake off the feeling of concern. As anyone who has the slightest inkling of who Amber is, she acknowledges this aura and charm that makes her easily admirable from a distance. She has the name, the intelligence, and this mysterious aloofness that effective pulls people towards curiosity rather than repel others with disinterest. And despite all of the questionable episodes that surround the teenager that would suggest otherwise, what many people don’t know, but she does, is that Amber is actually a good kid. She knows her potential and she sincerely admires her for her many talents and gifts.

 

But now that her sister is added into the mix…that’s an entirely different question. She wouldn’t go as far as admit Amber as problematic, but she couldn’t ignore Amber’s problems either. Along the same line, she can’t deny her most basic instinct as an older sister that almost automatically revolts against the notion of her sister getting entangled with a person who brings more uncommon complexities than certain stabilities. So who can really blame her?

 

Yuri places her fork down and clasps her hands together. Sensing that no one else has the clue on how to angle for this inevitable conversation, Yuri takes the initiative and lunges forward.

 

“Might as well get this out of the way,” Yuri looks at Amber, “You’re looking at next two weekends of detention. And this is the principal stretching his limits on leniency.”

 

“Ah,” Yuri flips her tone, “Detention wasn’t the word that was used. Make-up classes would be more accurate.”

 

Amber sighs, sinking into her seat deflated. I guess it could have been worse.

 

Jessica sternly adds, “Your uncle and aunt have been informed. I can’t say they weren’t disappointed.”

 

The knife twist was definitely intentional and it certainly didn’t fail to elicit a churning angst in Amber’s stomach. If the amalgamation of mistakes culminates in self-loathing frustration with herself, the sensation of guilt is just the icing on the cake. To put a cherry on top, the disapproving silence from Krystal’s sister proves to be a hundred more times unsettling now, given her status of relationship with Krystal.

 

An uncomfortable minute passes, Jessica heaves a deep sigh and pivots to another point of concern, “Taecyeon texted me,” Jessica shifts her attention to her sister, “He said it was nice catching up with you and was also glad to have met your girlfriend.”

 

This catches both the teenagers by surprise, making them choke on whatever it was in their mouths at mid consumption. “Unnie—”

 

Jessica cuts her off, shifting her line of sight on Amber, “Who Krystal decides to date and what she decides to do is entirely up to her. I know I can only influence her and play my role as her older sister. I would even go as far as to point out that I will always support her and her decisions. Why? because I believe that she was raised with a good head on her shoulders to make those right decisions.”

 

Jessica takes a quick glance at Krystal then back to Amber before continuing, “If my sister chose you, then out of that belief and that respect, I will not be the one to stand in her way. However…”

 

Jessica clasps her hands together before propping her posture forward, “I will also not stay quiet if I see that there is something that raises my concern.”

 

She pauses, which only increases the tension in the room.

 

“Amber…I will be your advocate. I will be a protector. I will stand in your corner out of respect and admiration for your late parents, your uncle and aunt, and if anything—for my sheer belief in you and in your potential. Amber, you know I’ll always be your ally and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you and your family.”

 

She pauses, staring with such force, practically boring holes through Amber’s face, After a few seconds of nervous silence, Jessica drops the truth, “But with my sister in the picture…that puts it in a completely different plane for me.”

 

Krystal pipes up, “Jess—”

 

“I’m not finished,” Jessica passes her an icy glare whilst curtly cutting her off. Krystal retreats knowing fully well the meaning of the look that her sister just gave her—a look that is reserved for rare moments when Jessica is drilling a serious point.

 

“Like I said,” Jessica keeps her eyes on Krystal, “I won’t stop you from dating whoever you want to date. But far be it from me to not tell you the truth even when you haven’t asked. Because if I don’t, who will? Before I am anyone else, I’m your sister first, Soojung.”

 

Krystal bites the bottom of her lip while tipping her head down. As cold as that delivery was, Krystal can sense the sincerity that flows from her sister’s genuine love and care for her. This is her older sister after all. And so she listens.

 

Jessica lets out a short sigh before returning to address Amber.

 

“Just so we’re clear, I won’t stop this. But I’ll be honest with you Amber, I do not trust you with my sister. Frankly, you have not given me or us any reason to otherwise. You want my trust?”

 

Amber doesn’t waver from Jessica’s icy glare. Her jaw clenches as she’s nodding in acceptance of Jessica’s challenge—her inevitable ultimatum.

 

“Earn it.”

 


 

It’s Saturday morning, almost close to noon, and the only sound that can be heard in the empty hallways of JL Academy is the sloshing of water and the squeaking of glass in one constant rhythm. Inside the glass-walled foyer, Amber is in her gym clothes, with her airpods nestled in both ears, as she dunks the mop in a bucket of solution before raising it above her to scrub the glass wall.

 

Ironically, what Yuri suggested as “make-up” classes has turned into community service for the school. The morning started out as a make-up class. Their Econ professor, Professor Lee, was the unfortunate designated babysitter for the day, demanding Amber to actually do some homework, to which Amber grumbly obeyed. In less than two hours, Amber’s head was found resting on her laptop’s keyboard as it flickered while it typed an infinite character of b’s. She was awoken by Professor Lee with a warning to proceed with homework but was met with a valid objection from the tomboy that there is no more homework left for her to do. The professor, not letting the teenager to win out, escorts her to the janitorial closet and grants her the new task of cleaning the entire foyer and senior wing of the campus.

 

Jokes on him because Amber actually finds cleaning therapeutic. When she used to clean the large lobby of the JL Group headquarters as a custodian, she didn’t mind it for one second because she liked that she was left alone to herself and her music to just daydream and think. It’s actually what she really needed at the moment.

 

If yesterday tops her list as the greatest day of her life, last night’s exchange with her sunbaes sure knew how to put a damper on it. The most sobering thing about it is how much of it was warranted and, in all honesty, earned. So Amber takes the time to reflect, to really process some of the concerns that Jessica placed on the table last night.

 

“If all else fails, at least janitorial services could still be a viable career path for you.”

 

Amber recognizes the voice right away, eliciting a smile on her face, as she turns around.

 

She removes her head phones, grinning from ear to ear to see the person she’s been dying to see all day walking towards her.

 

She responds, “It’s definitely a backup plan, along with finding a sugar mama, which I’m already on track for.”

 

“Wow!” Krystal stops in place, pointing at herself with mouth agape, “Me? A sugar mama?”

 

“I mean...you’d be the only candidate I would consider?”

 

Krystal scoffs, shaking her head as she starts walking towards her, “Can’t say I’m honored?”

 

Amber reaches for her arm, noticing the two paper bags she was carrying with both hands. She takes them from Krystal and sets it on the bench besides them and pulls Krystal in gently for a hug.

 

“I’m only half-kidding,” Amber snickers as she squeezes her arms around her, “If all else fails and I do become a custodian for a living, I’d sell my shares first so that you don’t have to be my sugar mama.”

 

“Yes and then you’ll be my sugar mama.”

 

“Now that I think about it, that plan doesn’t sound all bad.”

 

“You’re insane,” Krystal just shakes her head. After pulling away for a brief moment, she plants a soft kiss on Amber lips. Amber decides this is something she’ll never get used to.

 

After the short moment, it then dawns on Amber, “Wait, what are you doing here?”

 

Krystal unhooks herself from Amber and reaches for the paper bag. She pulls out a tin foil and presents it to Amber, “It’s lunchtime and I figured you could use some.”

 

Amber could not be more grateful for Krystal’s thoughtfulness, but she looks around the hallway reticent to fully appreciate it in fear of getting Krystal in trouble. She is in detention after all, which is an intentional form of isolated punishment that would probably prohibit this interaction.

 

Krystal notices Amber’s reaction and pulls her to sit on the bench as she unwraps the sandwich from the tin foil before serving it to the tomboy.

 

“Relax Amber. You didn’t think I’d come here without a foolproof plan, did you?” Krystal flashes her that classic smile. “I stopped by Professor Lee’s office, handed him an extra sandwich, used my charming personality and good rapport to get his approval. Lucky for you, I am one of his favorite students this year.”

 

Krystal unwraps her own sandwich and before taking a bite, she winks and teases, “Aren’t I the best girlfriend in the world?”

 

And it’s like Amber is falling in love all over again. How can she not when Krystal is not only beautiful, but smart, and did she mention ing amazing?

 

Amber officially looks like she has a stupid grin plastered permanently on her face. “Wow. You seriously are the best.” Amber picks up a napkin and reaches to wipe the crumbs from the side of Krystal’s lip. And just like that, Krystal also finds herself falling all over again.

 

Just sitting in the empty hallway of their high school, eating a simple sandwich, smiling and admiring each other openly, with flirtatious, yet endearing touches here and there, the two find themselves completely in cloud nine, a world on their own, soaking in every moment their hearts would flutter. A huge part of Amber still can’t fully believe this to be real. The girl in front her has already managed to occupy a massive place in her heart and now everything before her has taken on new colors and new textures.

 

This thought actually crosses her mind, a thought that is somewhat between a warning and exhilaration. She silently begs: Please God, please don’t let me this up.

 

And it’s like another switch that turns on. Now her mind is traveling to the night before, precisely to Jessica’s words. Her heart clenches when her brain begins to work overtime to unpack the meaning and intention. She gets lost in the thoughts that she doesn’t realize that she’s staring quietly at the sandwich in front her, noticeably brooding in front of the girl before her.

 

Krystal clears , trying to rein back her attention. “So...detention must be pretty boring for you.”

 

Amber recovers, forcing back up a smile.

 

“It’s boring, yes. But at least it’s nice and quiet so it’s actually therapeutic, especially cleaning.”

 

Krystal an eyebrow, “Therapeutic, huh?”

 

“Yeah,” Amber chuckles, “I’ve just been able to think a lot. I guess that’s the therapeutic part.”

 

Krystal takes a sip of her water before asking, “Oh yeah? What have you been thinking about?”

 

“Well,” Amber shifts her body, leaning backwards on her arms that are propped behind her. “You should know that at least ninety percent of my thoughts are about you.”

 

“Mhmm,” Krystal subtly blushes, “And what about the remaining ten?”

 

Amber breathes deeply before answering, “I guess about what your sister said last night.”

 

Krystal bites her lip, nodding at Amber’s admission.

 

“Amber, about my sister last night—”

 

“She’s right,” Amber flashes Krystal a soft smile. She relieves another breath before scooting closer to Krystal, taking her hands in hers.

 

“Your sister’s right,” Amber draws circles on Krystal’s hands with her thumb, “In truth, I can’t even recall a time when Jessica has ever been wrong about something. That’s why my parents trust her so much. That’s also why you’re so lucky to have her looking out for you.”

 

“But she doesn’t know you like I know you,” Krystal scrunches her eyebrows. There’s such a delicateness to her tone that is a mixture of feeling sorry but firm and hopeful.

 

“True,” Amber chuckles, smitten by the doe eyes that had such ability to melt her. She gives Krystal’s hands a light squeeze and follows, “But it doesn’t make what she said less true.

 

“Her concerns are valid and let’s be honest, I haven’t had a great track record this year to give your sister any reason to trust me. Same thing with my parents. And it’s almost baffling to me…”

 

Amber pauses to snicker to alleviate some of the tension in the conversation, “How I managed to convince you to be my girlfriend.”

 

Krystal throws a flippant eyeroll and reaches forward to cup Amber’s face. She snickers, pinching both her cheeks and teases, “Hundred percent because of this irresistible llama looking face.”

 

They both laugh it off. It reduces some of the seriousness and eases both their hidden worries for the moment. Amber tries to not dwell on the subject too much but he burden is much too heavy to easily brush off. She forces a confident smile and to Krystal’s credit, she does know Amber in a way that many, if not most, don’t. Although Amber is so naturally gifted at deflection, Krystal has developed an ability to read through her layers. She can see past the armor, and she has developed a second instinct to sense her thoughts without Amber having to divulge it.

 

Krystal flashes her a reassuring smile and jests, “So what now…are you gonna break up with me because of what my sister said last night?”

 

Amber leans forward, gently pinching the other girls chin to tilt her face leveled with hers. She plants the most tender of kisses as though to communicate her resolve.

 

Yes, she’s done a lot of thinking. She has used a substantial portion of her time in detention brooding. But none of that could change her mind. She has fallen for this girl. She has got her to stay by her side. She’s willing to take her chances in making sure she stays by her side for as long as forever is defined. Even with the challenges, the ultimatums and the potential trouble that may ensue at hand, why would she let her go now?

 

At the break of contact, Amber makes it clear. “Not a chance.”

 


 

Author's Note:

The long (fluffy) chapter makes up for the long wait, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Major progress for Kryber! That's a good sign right? Oh and we're getting closer and closer to graduation, which could only mean one thing. DRAMA ;)

As always, I really do appreaciate all of your kind encouragements! Despite my hectic life these days, please know that I am very much compelled to continue to write and see this one out because you guys continue to encourage me by continuing to read/follow this story! You are all simply amazing.

Love,

Z