CHAPTER 4

Young & Free

Seoul, Korea | 09.16.15 | 11:20pm

 

KAI POV

 

“Bro…You guys are partners.”

 

All attention in the room was focused on Amber.

 

Barely awake and barely aware, she appeared to be just starting to slowly process her surroundings.  She wore a deep consternation on her face (but really, having known my best friend better than anyone…she’s really just still half asleep) and stared at Krystal blankly.

 

I examined Krystal who seemed to appear unsure of what she should do—something I observe to be a frequent expression she makes.  It’s kind of…charming.  But the funny thing is…she seemed to remain unfazed by the cold stares Amber was throwing her way, a refreshing sight that I haven’t seen anyone dare to do in this place.  Granted, Krystal seemed awkward but she didn’t appear to be…afraid…like most people.

 

Interesting.

 

But still…after about fifteen seconds, Amber however, always comes out as the victor in situations that tests dominance.  While staring at Krystal, Amber takes her headphones and apathetically stonewalls Krystal.  She dips her head down and proceeds to finish her morning nap.

 

Irate, and justifiably so, Krystal rolls her eyes and lets out a telling scoff…cute.

 


 

20 Minutes Later | Lunch | Dining Hall

 

The three of us sat at our normal table, my two bros and I (well one bro and one girl whom I call ‘bro’ in which she doesn’t mind at all, for your information).  It was business as usual here in the dining hall, except for one little itching detail.

 

I have a confession…I can’t seem to shake off the look on Krystal’s face from my mind.  There’s…something about this girl.  But I can’t quite put my finger on it yet.

 

As though on cue, Joohyuk brings it up, “Guys…what do you think of the new girl?”  Joohyuk nodded his head towards the girl who sat across the hall sitting with some of our classmates from last class.  Both Amber and I glanced in her direction.

 

I just find myself smirking when I see her.  See…there’s something..Krystal Jung.  I think it’s a Jung thing.

 

I nudged Amber and said, “Am…can’t you be a little nicer and more accommodating?  She’s a Jung after all…you know…her sister is Jessica Jung.”

 

Scoffing bemusedly, she sent me an annoyed glare in lieu of her response.

 

Joohyuk added as he drifted off to daydream, “Jessica Jung…Damn.”  I know exactly what was running through his mind.

 

He kept going, “Remember all the middle school boys in our class fantasize over Jessica Jung.  Like damn.  She was so hot. ”

 

I had to agree, “She still is actually!”

 

Amber finally added to the conversation, “You guys are erts.”

 

Joohyuk , “Come on Am, don’t lie.  You know you fantasized over Jessica too!”

 

A clear disdain showed in her expression, “God Namjoo!  That’s just freaking weird!  You really think I shared the same erted inclinations that you two had or still do?  Please, that’s beneath me.  Plus, she was best friends with Tiff—…”

 

Oooh.  Sensitive topic alert.

 

I quickly diverted the conversation to circumvent the entire shift from her playful mood to a now solemn one.

 

“Amber, but seriously though.  Can you take it easy on the new girl?  Can you please be a little bit nicer?”

 

Sneering as she threw me a scowl (phew, diversion success), she said, “Since when did you care whether I was nice to someone or not?  You know better than anyone else that I don’t necessary have a reputation for being nice or ‘accommodating’.”  She used air quotes with a mocking tone added to her sneer.

 

I nudged her arm, “But still…” I glanced across the room to take a peek at the girl who was the subject of this conversation.

 

Joohyuk suddenly interjected, “Kai don’t tell me…are you crushing on the new girl?”

 

Am I?

 

Nah.  I’m Kai Kim Jongin.  I don’t crush on girls.  It’s the other way around.

 

 “Come on bro.  It’s not like that.”  It was almost automatic.  I took another glance for no reason.

 

“Then why do you keep looking over there?”  Joohyuk needs to take a chill pill.  Amber caught on and was now oscillating her focus from me to the direction of Krystal.

 

“Dude.  We’re talking about her…so naturally I would look over there…”

 

“Bro…You like her?  Seriously?” Amber now added to this useless discussion.

 

“God!  Will you two shut up!”  I punched Joohyuk’s arm and pushed Amber.  “I’m Kim Jongin. Kai the Lady-killer.  Campus heartthrob.  AKA Swag master.  This face...” I pointed at my face, trying to put a front so I can nip this conversation in the bud, “doesn’t crush on girls.”

 

“Swag master—what a joke!”  Joohyuk retorted.  Both Amber and Joohyuk just chuckled dismissing my pomp.  These two understand that this self-absorb--fest rant was a way to just joke around.  These guys never take it seriously.  And frankly, I’m never that serious to begin with either.

 

But seriously… “I admit.  I think she’s pretty.  But come on, she’s a Jung if you know what I mean,” I placed my hands out and shrugged my shoulders.  And with that I know…you can’t argue any different.

 

You know what I mean?

 

END OF KAI POV


 

Later that afternoon | Seoul, Korea | 3:40pm

 

Amber managed to skip out on tryouts once again.  Her friendship with Joohyuk was now in question according to the text she just received that read:

 

From:  Namjoo

You better have a really good reason for skipping out on practice or I swear I’m gonna kill you when I see your face at school tomorrow.

 

Amber just smirks at her friend’s threat.  Of course, there was never really a “good” reason.  Amber was the type to never provide one unless deemed necessary.  Don’t get her wrong.  She has the utmost respect and care for her friend but…running around for two hours on a field in a 30-degree weather is not really her style.  Instead she has taken the liberty to excuse herself from the responsibility and attend to more…“necessary” errands.

 

Still dressed in her sports gear, a pair of gray joggers and Jordans that is partnered with the noticeable school logo in the front of her sweatshirt, she enters this small clinic that is also a coffee shop located in the heart of the Cheongdam-dong district.  The interior could also be mistaken for an art gallery due to the overabundance of paintings and photographs displayed on the walls of the first floor.  Even though this building serves as an outpatient psychiatric clinic, the first floor has turned into a very low-key coffee shop that drew a host of local and loyal young-adult hipsters and artists that traffic the area.  It also drew the occasional celebrity or chaebol or two that stumble their way in the place because of the high profile connections that the owner of the building has, who is also, by the way, happens to be the doctor of the practice.

 

The first floor was decked out in the typical minimalist fashion, black granite floors and white walls decorated by intriguing art pieces and studio lighting.  It wasn’t too big, yet the space wasn’t small.  The coffee shop itself is purposely under-advertised and the clinic above always drew in interesting characters.  Case and point:  Amber’s visit.

 

The barista greets Amber as she walks in.  “Oh hey, Amber!”

 

“Hi Sunny unnie.  Yul around?”

 

“She’s in her office,” Sunny hands Amber a cup of coffee as per typical whenever she visits.

 

Amber takes the coffee from Sunny, the small and petite girl who is a fixed staff of this coffee house and clinic.  This place has become one of her safe havens, one of her getaway locations, and also one of the more comfortable public spaces she frequents at.

 

“Is she with someone right now?”

 

Sunny scrunches her eyebrows at the moment and fiddles with her Apple Watch before looking up to answer Amber, “Not at the moment.”

 

Smiling, Amber makes her way towards the wooden spiral staircase that led to the second floor.  “Perfect.  Thanks Sunny.”

 

As she’s about halfway up, Sunny stops her and warns her of one thing, “Although...it does say here it’s her scheduled 1-hour meditation time so…she’s probably in middle of her yoga thing.”

 

Amber chuckles and says, “Even better.”

 

She rushes up the stairs and sure enough she could see the person she was looking for through the glass door.  She was quietly in a zen-like yoga position with her eyes closed, deeply concentrated in whatever it was she was meditating on.

 

Amber deemed this as the perfect moment to intrude.  She opens the door without restraint and announces her entrance, “Kwon Yuri!  I miss you buddy!”

 

KWON YURI

Class Rank:  JL Academy; finished 3rd

Family / Business Association:  Hanshin Hospital; Kwon Family

Friends:  Tiffany Hwang, Jessica Jung, Amber Liu

Position:  Clinical Psychiatrist

Notes:  Kwon family owns Hanshin Hospital

 

Letting out a controlled and composed breath, she calmly whispers, “Once again, you have interrupted my meditation session.  And how many times do I have to remind you not to drop the formalities?”

 

Amber simply guffawed in mockery.

 

Dr. Kwon Yuri, “Yul” as Amber calls her, stands up and eyes the teenager.  In a swift fashion, Yuri couldn’t keep her cool as she finds the person in front of her thoroughly snickering in enjoyment of having interrupted her quiet time.  She gives Amber a couple slaps on the shoulder and tells her, “Yah!  It’s sunbae!  Call me sunbae!  I’m still five years older than you!”

 

Chuckling as Amber escapes to the couch that was positioned in front of the doctor’s desk across the room, “Please, I’ve never called you sunbae once and I’m not planning to change that after all these years.”

 

Though Yuri is peeved by Amber’s negligence of formalities, deep down she finds it endearing.  She lets it go just for Amber.  But every once in a while, especially in occasions when her quiet time is disrupted, she finds it annoying.  Nevertheless, she loves the kid and enjoys her closeness with her enough to allow their relationship to be on a first-name, or rather, nickname basis.

 

Yuri rolls her mat away and puts her white doctoral gown on.  In a flat tone she asked Amber, who was now reclined comfortably on the couch, “What do you want now?  And what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m here to visit because I miss you Yul.  Also…” Amber sits up straight as she leans forward towards Yuri who sat in her large swivel chair behind the desk, with the other half of her attention on the computer.

 

Amber requests, “Yul…I need you to get me out of this soccer thing.  I need you tell uncle that I don’t need to play sports.”

 

Without diverting her attention, she answers, “No can do kid.”

 

“Yul come on… As one of my favorite therapists, please do this for me,” Amber almost pleaded, but more whined in her tone.

 

Yul lets out a telling scoff and rolls her way out from behind her desk towards Amber.  With a smirk on her face, she tells Amber, “First of all, I am not one of your therapists.  I may be a psychiatrist but I’m not your official therapist.  Moreover, even if I was one of your therapists it would still be a no.  A physical activity in a controlled environment would actually benefit you, Am.  You just need to try.”

 

Slumping into her chair as she lets out a grumble, “Come on Yul!  Do me a solid just one time!  I hate that I’m required to have to go these dreadful so-called practices.  Come on Yul!”

 

Scoffing at the incredulous complaint that she’s hearing right now, Yul reaches over for a pillow and playfully chucks it Amber, “Yah!  it up!  And even if I wanted to help you in this regard, your situation is outside the parameters of my diagnosis.  Sorry, Am.”

 

“Ugh…” Amber slouches back down in her original position.  “This .”

 

“Amber, from what I remember…you love soccer.  It’s the one sport I actually saw you enjoy.  And you know…what would Tiffany say if she was here…”

 

Amber gave her serious side-glance prompting Yuri to not continue any further.  Yuri changes the subject instead, “Anyways, I got your invitation.”  Yuri reached for the black card on her desk.  “I hear all the important people of Seoul are invited.  And I’m honored to be one of them.”

 

Amber lets out a sigh as she tosses the pillow above her in a game of catch by herself, “Yeah…Uncle invited the entire senior class too.  Kinda lame and unnecessary…”

 

“Well…it’s a great excuse for people like me to have a social life on a Friday night.”

 

“I’m glad to be of help.  Now if you would just return the favor…” Amber grumbled.

 

Chuckling at the teenager’s sassy persistence, Yuri could only shake her head.  She moves on to tell Amber, “It’s perfect, actually.  I haven’t seen or hung out with Jessica for a long time because she’s been so busy with work so I’m going to pick her up and we’re gonna go to your party together.”

 

Amber rolls her eyes and sarcastically remarks, “Well isn’t that wonderful?  Here I am helping you out with your love life and I ask for one little favor and you shut me down.”

 

Yuri laughs as she inches in closer to Amber in her rolling chair.  She retorts back, “Can’t help you Amber and that’s final.  And yes, you are my favorite dongsaeng for providing the wonderful opportunity for me to spend some time with the gorgeous, hot, and y Jessica Jung!”  Yuri gives her a playful kiss on the forehead only to be shoved away as Amber squirms in disgust.

 

“Yah!  You do that again and I won’t hesitate to punch you in the face!”

 

Yuri could only laugh at the kid’s vehement expression.  After she regained her composure, Yuri remembered something, “By the way…speaking of Jessica.  I hear her sister and family is back in Korea.  What’s her name?  Ah.  Krystal, that’s right.  She’s your age and I think she goes to the academy too…  Have you met her yet?  From the pictures I’ve seen of her—and not to sound e-ish at all—Krystal is…I gotta say…she’s a ten bro,” she teasingly elbowed Amber and added, “Just like her sister.”

 

Almost repulsed by Yul’s comment, Amber rolls her eyes and tells her, “God…don’t even mention her.”

 

“Ooh.  So you’ve met her?”  Yuri ignores Amber’s request and continues to prod.  “She’s hot right?”

 

Amber takes a moment to think about it for the first time.  She recalls Krystal’s long brown hair, her fearless doe-shaped eyes, her very fit and alluring physique, and her undisputable attractive face and thinks…

 

She’s…not…bad…but—

 

It took her about three seconds to snap her thoughts back into reality, remembering how she’s the girl who spilled drinks on her twice.  She scoffs and dismisses the subject, “She’s…annoying.”

 

 


 

Hwang Residence | 09.18.15 | 7:00am

 

“Happy birthday Amber.”

 

Amber rolls her eyes as she steps inside one of the many living rooms of their luxurious residence.  She slowly takes a seat on the couch facing the woman who was dressed in an informal business casual ensemble.  Even she couldn’t escape the routine regardless of the momentous occasion known as the day she was birthed on planet Earth.

 

She sighs heavily while flatly expressing appropriate manners, “Thanks.”

 

“So you’re 18 now.  It’s your birthday and I hear it’s going to be a big day for you.”  The woman adjusts her posture, clicking the pen in her hand while she turns the page on her yellow notepad.

 

“Yeah…I guess…”

 

With a friendly smile, the woman tenderly asks, “Any birthday wishes?  Hopes?  Or even aspirations for the year?”

 

Amber thinks about it for a moment.  Wishes?  Hopes?  Aspirations?

 

Amber was never one to give such trite questions the time of day.  To have banal expectations stifles her idea of a sober reality…or so she thinks.  She’s a realist.  She knows who she is.  She has mapped out her trajectory based on her performance and pedigree, therefore, there was never really room for wishful-thinking in her very real and accurate projection.

 

But as far as the nature of the definition of the word wish goes…she does have one.  Or three…

 

To see her face.  To hear her voice.  To be by her side.

 

Two out of the three seemed rather unlikely.

 

She murmurs her answer as she heaves another long sigh, “I wish for this day to be over already.”

 


 

JL Academy | 7:55am

 

KRYSTAL POV

 

It was the beginning of the day.  I have already made one keen observation: everyone here is really taking this day seriously.  The whole morning, from the moment I arrived, Amber’s birthday and her party was the talk of the town.  Even the gang was all into it—sharing each other’s picture of their outfits for the night and talking about the pre-game and after-party plans and whatnot.

 

Of course, the hysteria in the campus didn’t go unnoticed.  There were “fangirls” that have literally decked out the entire stretch of the Senior Wing with Amber’s face plastered on the walls and party paraphernalia scattered everywhere.  Even her locker was brightly decorated with balloons, gifts, and treats from her fangirls.  The only one missing in this very festive environment was the birthday celebrant herself.

 

We walked into our 1st period class and sat in our unofficial designated seats.  My friends were still engrossed in talking about the night.  I just went along with it.  But I couldn’t help but wonder why the person of interest is still missing in action.

 

I took a glance behind me towards the corner of the room where she would normally sit.  I see her friends, all three of them, seated together but her spot was still empty.  Hmm…I wonder why she’s not here yet?

 

“Krystal, are you listening?” Sulli poked me, reverting my attention back to group’s conversation.

 

“Hm?”  I quickly adjusted my expression.

 

Sulli glances over my shoulder towards the direction of my attention a moment ago.  She eyes me distinctively and almost accusatory.  Her face then contorts into this sly expression and she leans in to whisper, “Looking for your beloved partner?”

 

Contorting my face in equal bewilderment, I was ready to dismiss her implicit suggestion but the professor was timely enough to do it for me.

 

“Good morning class.  Please turn your notes to page three…”

 

About forty minutes later and the venti caramel macchiato that I chugged down this morning on my way to school was making the bane comeback tormenting my bladder.  Therefore, I quietly excused myself and made my way to the restrooms.

 

After reliving myself, I slowly journeyed my way back to class, taking my time before I have to sit for the next hour to listen to the professor drone on about the fascinating and dynamic era of the Joseon Dynasty.  As I turned the corner, the person that I have been curious about has finally made her appearance.  I quickly and covertly backpedalled to observe her for a moment.

 

I have no idea why I’m doing this but for some reason it was a visceral reaction and for some reason…I was bizarrely absorbed in the moment.

 

Amber opened her locker and a flood of cards and balloons exploded out of it.  She took a step a back and grumbled as she slapped the balloons out of her face.  I’m sorry but this might just be me but I find the cute annoyance on her face very amusing.

 

She sighs as she discovers the hot mess that is her locker at the moment.  With hands in her pockets she scans the crap (a.k.a fangirl treats and their “special” balloon surprise) and searches through the boxes.  She bends down and picks up one of the cookie platters and the chocolate milk that she has excavated from the pile of presents.  Lastly, she pulls a book out of her locker and cuffed it underneath her armpit as she held her food and drink with her hands.

 

Ha.  She’s kinda like a kid.

 

She jams the locker closed and began to walk opposite from our 1st period class.  I snuck quietly behind one of the walls to avoid getting discovered and because I was too absorbed by my curiosity, instead of going back to class, I followed her with questions in mind.  Is she planning on not showing up to class?  Where is she going?

 

I mean…I know the great narrative of the Joseon Dynasty must be riveting and to some measure somewhat inspiring but…let’s be honest, low-key following and learning about the inner-workings of a 21st century chaebol seemed far more intriguing than a history lecture at the moment.

 

So I followed her up the stairs into the library.  And mind you, I am not a stalker.  I’m just…mildly curious, that’s all.

 

I stayed stealthily undiscovered behind the shelves, enough to see her align four chairs at the corner end of the library, propping one leg up.  She inserts her earphones in her ears and hums a soft melody to the song that must be playing in her device.  She takes a bite of the cookie then takes a sip of her milk before opening her book as she laid flatly on her back on the chairs.  I then caught a glimpse of the book she held in her hands.  It was The Alchemist.

 

Hmm.  Interesting.

 

For once, even though it may not show in her face explicitly, observing her relax and retreat into this library corner without really a care or concern for the world provided an unexpected dimension opposite of what I hear about and witnessed firsthand.  It took me only a couple of days to learn this about Amber:  she’s smart, she’s rich, she’s cranky, she’s feared, she’s someone who has a short fuse and selective manners, therefore, just steer clear.  That is the feel I sense from this student population and the limited interaction I’ve had with her so far.  But watching her in her own world, her vibe emitted the opposite.  From this view I’m learning that…she can be calm, content and suitably delighted by the simplicity of cookies, chocolate milk and a good read.  So maybe that guy Kai was right after all…the Elites like him and maybe like Amber are not as scary and intimidating as other people make them out to be.

 

Amber Liu has her own world; I concur.  But from the looks of it…is she on another plain than everyone else?  Maybe?  Maybe not?  Maybe she’s more than what meets the eye?  So maybe having her as a partner wouldn’t be as bad?

 


 

Hwang Mansion | 6:55pm

 

I arrived with my parents at the Hwang mansion and my friends weren’t joking.  It was like arriving at red carpet event.  It’s been ten years since I have last visited this place and yes, I remember it to be huge but I didn’t remember it to be this over-the-top glamorous.

 

We entered the mansion and were immediately greeted by waiters dressed in suits offering us champagne and hors d’oeurves.  There were the familiar high-profile faces that graced the halls of this event—politicians, businessmen, celebrities, moguls and of course the JL Academy regulars.  The entire senior class was all here.  Who wouldn’t miss this event for the world, I guess?

 

After attending to my daughter-duties by greeting “important” people with my parents, I finally joined my group of friends who were dressed equally of importance.  The inevitable discussion among my peers revolved around the private after-party after the formal birthday ceremony.  Apparently, Amber’s friends are throwing her a surprise party with a famous DJ (and most probably alcohol) at an all-exclusive, premier and private hotel penthouse suite in the W Hotel.  Rumors of such and such celebrity are going to be attending and also hosting the party itself.

 

Whatever the case may be, I am just surprised at how these rich kids throw parties.  As in, they really go all out.  I thought our weekend warriors were hardcore but a penthouse party at the W tops all of those beach parties combined.  I guess I can admit to have made a slight misjudgment on these guys in thinking they are all work and no play.  They work hard and lavishly play on another level (penthouse level at that).

 

As the orchestra began playing, all attention was drawn at the top of the stairs.  Uncle James and aunt Michelle (two people I’ve seen for the first time in a long time) descended from the stairs heralded by the applauses of many.  Shortly after, Amber followed.  She stood at the top of stairs embellishing the whole theme of the event.  In a custom tailored tuxedo, hair gallantly coiffed in a regal poise, hands behind her back as she wore that classic neutral expression that so embodied her reputation, she walked down the stairs as she was announced by the master of ceremonies.

 

Everyone smiled, everyone cheered, and everyone clapped.  The only person in the room who didn’t smile was Amber.  Surprise, surprise.

 

The formal ceremony began and it took about almost two hours.  There were remarks, speeches and formal toasts made by, I’m assuming, very powerful and influential people.  The program included Uncle James’s fifteen-minute gregarious word-of-advice and charge for the birthday celebrant.  And as the night continued, there was the formal exchange of meet and greet with the celebrant’s family and herself.  Oh the world of business politics.

 

As soon as another half an hour passed, all of the people my age received a text message, including myself.  I reached for phone I hid in my clutch purse and read the text message.  It was a number I didn’t have but read:

 

From:  Unknown

W Hotel.  Royal Penthouse.  See you there ;)

 

Key elbowed Jonghyun, “That was Joohyuk’s signal.  We should get going soon.”

 

Jonghyun smirked and gave Key a fist pump, “Dude this is going to be the best night ever.”

 

I scanned the room and realized how each young person started to make their way towards exit.  However, three people caught my attention.

 

Irene, Kai and Joohyuk worked their way through the crowd, approaching Amber who was currently surrounded by people including her parents.  Kai and Joohyuk whispered something to her as Irene waited patiently with a smile.  Before I could watch any further, Sulli suddenly snapped her fingers in front of me.

 

She said, “You seem to be spacing out a lot today…” She takes a peek behind me then grants me that cunning smile once again.  “Or should I say, you’re attention has been on someone else a lot today…”

 

Dismissing her suspicion, I simply responded, “I’m just curious.”

 

“Hmm…”  She grins once again and pauses to observe me.  After two seconds she finally asked, “Well…are you coming?”

 

“Coming where?”  I was slightly confused by her question.

 

“To the after-party, duh!  We’re gonna leave now.  So are you coming or what?”

 

END OF KRYSTAL POV


 

9:41pm

 

394% done.

 

That is the best way to explain the artificial smile that Amber has mastered in the past almost-three hours.  It was one prominent figure after another.  Shaking hands, exchanging smiles, answering probing questions—the only thing she didn’t understand was…

 

Why didn’t my ing therapist prepare me for the ery that is my birthday celebration?

 

401% done, to be more exact.

 

“Bro!”

 

She knows exactly whose whispers those belonged to.  She nods her head at the business investor and a top prosecutor in front of her and slowly walks backward.  She makes eye contact with her uncle and politely adds, “Excuse me for one moment uncle.”

 

When Amber found herself just amongst her three friends she sighs a heavy breath of relief.  She was then smothered immediately by their embrace.  And for the first time tonight, the smile on her face was genuine.

 

“Happy birthday to the coolest friend I have,” Joohyuk greets her.

 

“Happy birthday bro!” Kai followed.

 

After the guys’ hug, Irene leans over and gives Amber an innocent peck on the cheek followed by a warm smile, “Happy birthday Amber.”

 

Joohyuk and Kai eyed each other as they both raised their eyebrows as though making a mental note of the sweet affection that Irene exlcusively displayed for Amber.

 

Amber on the other hand flashes her friends a grin, “Thanks guys.”

 

Pulling her further away from her parents, not noticing that Irene has made her way towards Uncle James, Kai begins to prod, “You ready?”

 

“Ready for what?” Amber scrunches her eyebrow.

 

Joohyuk slings his arm around Amber adding a grin, “For the best night of your life.”

 

Amber, knowing her clear obligations for the night, unslung Joohyuk’s arm and fixed her suit dismissing her friend’s thoughtful, yet fleeting effort to rescue her from her duties, “You guys know I can’t.”

 

“Are you sure about that?”  Kai flashes her a sure grin as he points behind Amber.

 

Amber follows Kai’s hand and turns around and surprisingly finds Irene giving her uncle and aunt a hug followed with a bow.  Irene signals them a thumbs up and just to confirm it, Amber checks for her uncle’s approval.  Uncle James sends his blessing with quick wink and a smile.

 

Amber could already hear Kai and Joohyuk cheer and celebrate.  When Irene reached them, Irene hung onto Amber’s arm and informed the group, “Let’s go.”

 

Amber, still mystified by the quick turn of events, asked Irene, “How did you get them to say yes?”

 

“Oh come on, Am.  It was easy,” Irene confidently answered.

 

Kai added, “Dude, Irene is like uncle’s favorite.  How can they say no to her?”

 

“It’s true,” Joohyuk affirmed, “If it was Kai or I, now that would be a different story.”

 

Amber couldn’t be happier now that she has a free pass out of her obligations.  Yet…a part of her was nervous because knowing her two friends…they go all out.

 


 

10:22 PM | W Hotel

 

An all out after-party she found indeed.  As soon as she stepped into the penthouse, a throng of people met her with a loud happy birthday.

 

The penthouse that was rented by her friends was filled with people she didn’t even know.  There were faces that Amber recognized as one of Kai and Joohyuk’s celebrity friends but for the most part it was people that she was apathetic towards…like her fellow classmates.

 

The penthouse was reaching a manic state.   There was alcohol everywhere.  The penthouse balcony complete with a swimming pool and a DJ was packed out with underage high school students mingling with high-profile celebrities.  Surely, if any high school students could get away with this, it could only be the elite crop of JL Academy.

 

Amber, on the hand, although grateful for her friend’s rescue, was nothing short of bemused.  She wasn’t too fond of crowds.  Especially, crowds such as the one she’s in.  But what can she do?  This was still much better than the suffocating atmosphere back at the mansion.  Plus…at least she’s still with her best friends.

 

Kai pushes a light brown concoction in front of her, “Just one drink, Am.”

 

Amber declines pushing the drink away, “I’m good.”

 

Kai resilient, pushes again, “Come on, it’s your birthday!  Loosen up for one night bro!”  And without giving it another second, Kai grabs Amber’s hand and made their way towards the DJ booth.  He hands her the drink then grabs the microphone from the DJ.  He whispers something to the DJ then the music slowly faded out.

 

Clearing his throat, Kai speaks into the mic grabbing everyone’s attention, “We’re all here today to celebrate the 18th birthday of my best friend…the coldest, yet the coolest, second handsome, smartest person I know.  Amber…bro…” Kai raised his drink followed by everyone else.

 

Kai turns to Amber and at this point, Amber gave in.  She flashed her best friend a smile, which prompted him to continue.  “Am, you know I love you bro.  Happy freaking birthday!”

 

Cheers followed while Kai urged her to drink.

 

it.  It’s my birthday.

 

Amber clinks glasses with Kai and takes the drink, letting the smooth-tart whiskey cocktail lather .  This ignited the celebratory spirit even more.

 

However, in that moment, Amber felt her phone vibrate in her side pocket.  She pulls it out to check it and was momentarily stunned when she read the ID.

 

She was waiting for this phone call all day…she had to answer it.

 

Her legs began to react rather quickly and she had to find a quiet room fast.

 

To hear her voice.  That was one of her wishes.

 

Excitement combined with apprehension, she makes her way towards the inside of the penthouse.  Still finding it surreal, her eyes were focused on the picture and name of the caller ID.

 

And maybe it was destiny.  Maybe it was fate.  Maybe it was the saying, “Third time is a charm.”  Amber accidently collides with the person in front of her and time had a way of lapsing into deceleration.  It took Amber a millisecond to sense the familiarity of the scene and recognize the familiar person’s face.

 

For the third time…it was Krystal again.

 

Amber had two options: (1) Drop the phone, catch her or (2) hold the phone, dodge her.  In that moment…only those two options made sense.

 


 

Author's Note

I aplogize for the overdue update.  I had to priortize school but now that it's over, I have free time to write!  Merry Christmas! :)