7. Awaken

The Forsaken #3

Holy crap. How could someone look so different when they were clearly in the same body?

 

As I got closer I took a good look at him. And I almost cursed. Again. This was Baekhyun's body. But his eyes; there was something sinister and dark about them. His dark circle were worse, it looked like he wore eyeliners. But darn, did he look good like that. I never imagined Baekhyun as someone hot. He was surely good looking, and there were times when he looked adorable, but he never looked hot.

 

“Who are you?” He asked, strangely calm, but something was stirring inside. I read people well, but not him. Not this dark, mysterious persona.

 

My throat was dry as I was staring at him, and he stared back with the same intensity and curiosity. There was something I couldn't pinpoint out about this stranger. I seemed to lose the ability of speaking because his dark eyes were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Literally. When he raised his eyebrows, waiting, I my lips and finally looked down, heart pumping madly.

 

“This is Sora,” Jinki spoke in my stead. I dared not to look up, nor did I speak a word. I was just stunned, too abashed by the current situation. It was just so surreal. We had been waiting for hundreds of years and now he was here... In the form of Baekhyun. It was like looking at your future lover through your former one.

 

“Why is she here?” He sounded amused, curious, not the least agitated. He was truly different from what I had heard. People said he was easily angered. That simple matters irritated him. But here he was, majestic and magnificent. I wondered where the rumors came from.

 

“She is here as a sacrifice for you,” Jinki again explained with his soft, mellow voice. His eyes were shifting between me and him. I didn't like being put into the spotlight. “She is half blood.”

 

“Do you bring her here because she looks like Joo Ri?” He questioned. I finally glared back at him, and found out that his intimidating eyes still hadn't left me since he woke up. I mustered up whatever courage I had left and scowled at him, a rudeness only he noticed. He looked away with a chuckle, like he understood. Great. Now I looked like a pouting kid in front of him. My frown deepened.

 

Yes,” Jinki softly muttered. “And she is my apprentice, as well.”

 

“Apprentice?” The he in Baekhyun's body snorted, “Since when did you take apprentices? You never seem like the type... unless you foolishly take her in just because she looks like my dead wife.” I took back my words. Everyone always told me how fond he was of his wife, and now, he seemed like he couldn't give s about her. Wow. Talk about shocking reversal...

 

Jinki seemed abashed as well. He didn't reply to that, clearly wasn't expecting this.

 

“And Brothers... You gathered them all here, such a fancy welcoming,” He rose slowly from his seat, and I stepped to the side, allowing him a better view of the rest of the guests. All five Demons, Jinki excluded since he was nearby, stood up to salute their Leader. Jinki followed, and Lucifer walked down the stairs like he was on a parade as the main attraction. His beauty was out-of-this world.

 

“Do you need anything, My Lord?” Ashmodeous spoke. He was being very careful with his words. The Demon bowed down respectfully, and I drew back a scoff. I didn't need my smart mouth and bad temper right now. “Now that you're here... We can destroy the other clans at your call.”

 

Lucifer made a 'tsh' sound and raised his hands. It was quiet again, something he seemed to enjoy immensely. “Do not be hasty, Jino. I just woke up from a terrible nightmare and you expect me to create another one?” He chuckled to himself and everyone else looked at each other nervously. “No. Let them wait. Let the anxiety kill them.”

 

“And you, Seungyoon,” he pointed at Mammon, Demon of Greed, then at the familiar face of Demon of Wrath, Satan, “Mino, it's been a while since I last saw you.” He greeted Belphegor, Demon of Sloth, “Jin.” When he approached Leviathan, he opened his arms and Kibum almost jumped into them. Kibum engulfed Lucifer, the Lord with a bear hug. “I see you've never changed, Kibum...” He gave Kibum a pat and pulled away, now walking my way.

 

I suddenly felt conscious and hid behind Jinki.

 

“Is there anything... you want to do right now?” Jinki asked when I held onto the hem of his shirt.

 

I heard the Lord snorted. I released Jinki's shirt.

 

“I want to go back home...” The Lord stated. And his wish was our command.

 

***

 

I had never visited the house before. It was located in the human world. Our Lord had called this vast land his 'home'. It was strange, considering that he belonged to Hell. I thought he would bring us to the Shadow world, but here we were, this green field of grass and flowers was our new 'home'. The view was nothing short of spectacular.

 

The house itself was a cover-up. Above the ground, it looked like a normal house, made of white walls and wooden door. But it stretched five levels underneath the ground, and it was grand. I suspected that the Lord had a fondness for books, particularly human ones. One level was a library on its own, and the size was gigantic. There were collections of antique books, dating back to centuries before I was born. I marveled at this wondrous place and separated myself from the companion of Jinki and the Lord. They would have a talk of their own while I familiarized myself with this house.

 

Each and every section of the library was dated, and there were handwritten classics, to which I owed the pleasure of reading, over and over again since my teenage years. There were the more contemporary ones, which was surprising, considering that he had been asleep for more than a century. The Lord collected a tons of fantasy romance, and horror-action-thriller. There were less books about pure romance and motivation, but they existed somewhere in the dark corner. I doubted he would even look at them.

 

“Do you like the library?” I almost, almost got a heart attack when the Lord appeared by the end of the long book shelf. I tried to suppress a scowl, but it came out anyway. I refused to look at him and picked out a book instead. “Where is everybody?”

 

Busy,” he smirked beautifully and walked closer. He made my heart beat louder with anticipation and anxiety. I dared not to look into those eyes, because I would end up staring and this time, I wasn't sure if I would stop myself from doing so.

 

Good,” I finally breathed out and turned towards him. The book I had picked was carefully placed back into the shelf as I had not intended to read it. I didn't even pay attention towards the title. “I want to make something clear.”

 

“Oh, me, too,” He chuckled, again with that dark, mysterious, yet tender voice that would melt anyone to a puddle. There was no denying that I was attracted to bad guys, especially the ones with authority and power. “I have quite a bit of things to say.”

 

“What is your name?” I asked, and he clicked his tongue. I wasn't sure what the gesture meant, but it couldn't be that he was seducing me. He didn't try and yet I was... seduced intrigued. Yes, My Lord, accept that I do see equality in genders and you have to bear with this, too. He was not pleased, nor was he irritated. But he didn't reply.

 

Instead he fastened his pace and stood perfectly still in front of me, taking every details in, examining each features very, very slowly. And though this could have been awkward, I kind of liked the silent atmosphere between us. I wasn't exactly comfortable with the idea of him studying me so closely, but I wasn't unhappy, either.

 

“I think I like it better when you call me... My Lord,” The wickedness of his voice set a flame to my poor heart. Like always, I tried to calm down and stopped the blush from spreading on my face. He especially pointed out the 'my', as if he was staking a claim towards me. And I liked it. My sanity was long lost somewhere in the pit of my soul.

 

He reached out his hand, and I was well aware of his next move. I was a sour , but I knew men when they wanted something. I slapped his hands away and gave him a grin that put him off guard, “So, Jinki told me that I am supposed to serve you. And though I never told him anything, I think it is unfair that I am picked because I look like a certain someone. You have your right to... find anyone else, and so do I.” My eyes looked at his, and I tried to find out what he was thinking of, but I failed. “However...”

 

“You've got quite a smart mouth,” The Lord grabbed my chin and forced me to look up at him. He was a twisted soul, and so was I. Still, I couldn't grab a hold on him. He was definitely a dominant, someone who wanted a full domination above his partner. “I like a smart mouth.”

 

Unfortunately, I wasn't a submissive. I never was and never would be.

 

“That compliment is not flattering enough.”

 

“You think you look like Joo Ri?” He snorted like it was funny. “How many persons have told you that?”

 

“Everyone who's met the two of us said so, but that's out of the point!” I tried to continue, but his laughter stopped me. I forgot what I wanted to say.

 

“And if I tell you that you are prettier?” He my cheeks and I almost purred in sweet agony. This was not what I wanted. I couldn't control my emotion and the blush spread faster than I would have liked.

 

“Not only are you different from what the folks have said, you are also a player!” My voice was more high-pitched. I was nervous. I was still gazing at his eyes, still drowning in thoughts.

 

“I make you nervous,” He was gleeful about it. “You are blushing.”

 

I didn't reply at all. Instead I broke free from his spell and paced around, back and forth.

 

See, two can play this game forever.”

 

Oh, My Lord, we would see who win this game at the very end.

 

“It's not a game you want to play,” I dared him. Two could flirt and not have any feelings involved. I grabbed his hands and pushed it away, “Trust me, My Lord. I don't want to see your pitiful lost in the end. I am not like the other girls who readily throw themselves at you.”

 

“You can't be entirely sure about that, Dearest,” He gave me a pet name and it was giving me goosebumps. I wasn't fond of pet names. “Almost everyone are desperate for my attention. You are given the privilege to be with me. I doubt you won't have any form of attraction towards me.” And he was right about that. I refused to give in.

 

I scoffed at him and replied, “What else? You said you have something to tell me.”

 

“You're straying away from our topic,” He smirked again, knowing that he won the argument... for now. “But that doesn't matter. What I want to tell you is more important.”

 

“I want to propose something to you,” My Lord said, his eyes reminded me of the cat's; uninterested and proud. He thought he was above anyone else. As a minor in this clan, I should have agreed, but I refused the idea flatly.

 

“This body...” He spoke and I glared. “I did not like it at first... Then I came to realize the stare you directed on me... was not to me.” He paused for the effect. As I froze and he put his hands on me. He made a circle slowly, very slowly. “Jinki said you had a certain... fondness towards this boy.” Damn Jinki.

 

“And?” I challenged him. My Lord, as I knew, did not like being challenged by anyone.

 

“Do you know that he and I are connected, that he sees everything I see, hear what I can hear, and when I touch you but he can't... He feels it,” My Lord grabbed my hand, and I struggled to break away, but he wouldn't let me. “Do not worry, Little One. I might not harm his body, but his heart is an entirely different matter.”

 

Strangely enough... He let go of my hand and walked away after saying that. He knew he had made his points. His steps were light, as if he never said anything at all. My Lord was an odd character. I knew then, that not everything in the legends were true. He was never an angry man like the Hulk they described him as. Rather, he was a bored Demon, with nothing to play with, so when he found a rebellious one like me, he set his interest right from the start.

 

I still couldn't figure out anything about him and his wife; whether he truly loved her or he didn't. His every words led me to think that he didn't, but when I saw the sorrow of his eyes every time he mentioned her name, I had very little hope that he might still be in love with her. And that there was no place for me to stay. The very thought of it... saddened my heart more than I had expected.