25. To the Ball

The Forsaken #3

Triple Update. Go to ch.24 Telling Hana.

 

 

                  Miyoung, Miyoung, Miyoung.

 

                  Was I supposed to be moved by her loyalty?

 

                  I clenched my teeth in annoyance and almost threw her into the room by force. Hana looked lost and helpless, exactly the type that couldn’t be left alone. I opened the door to the room and grabbed her by the shoulder, my eyes threateningly swept over her facial features, “When you are finished, I will tell you. So get the hell in and stop asking.”

 

                  Hana looked at me and nodded obediently. She gulped down her saliva, pinched her other wrist and walked into the room steadily. I snorted and turned around, hiding myself in the shadow as I watched the guests streamed in, one by one.

 

                  I had known some of them well. Lord Kikwang and Irene from the warlock clan, Joohyun from the Siren clan, Woozi from the Dragon clan, Jia the shape shifter and Sooji the Valkyrie. The last wore a vengeful expression as she walked in haughtily, refusing to be touched by Baekhyun.

 

                  Lord Junhong clenched his fist, and grimly walked in. Jinki hid a smirk as he pushed the young Winter Prince, Kyungsoo into the room. The later grunted, almost pulling out sword to wound Jinki’s neck, but decided not to when a certain lady jumped over and touched his shoulder gently. So this was the infamous Lady Ara, the beauty of the Shadow world.

 

                  Looking at her once again, she did possess an unworldly aura, as if her bright green eyes didn’t belong anywhere in the human world. She looked like a painting instead of flesh and meat, and the way she carried herself with such ease brought envy and jealousy from others. Even in here, she didn’t look the slightest bit intimidated, confident that she would be able to handle the situation well if a fight ensued.

 

                  She had the right to do so, because her ability was one of the rarest and most complicated in the Shadow world. If the two of us fought, there was no guarantee of who would win and who would lose, unless I stole her imitation ability first before she could copy me.

 

                  Lady Ara looked at Prince Kyungsoo, her eyes turned soft and she spoke affectionately towards him, “Please take back your sword, my Prince. These people kidnap us here for a reason. Let’s hear them first before we make a judgement.”

 

                  Smart.

 

                  Prince Kyungsoo grunted in annoyance and turned his head to meet his former Knight, Baekhyun. His eyes turned cold. He froze. “Why is he still here?”

 

                  Baekhyun smirked and tilted his head. The Summer Prince Suho had just entered the room and stumbled his way towards Lady Ara and Lord Kyungsoo. The Baekhyun that served him for centuries in the Court and the Baekhyun now were surely two different people. The sudden change surprised Kyungsoo the moment he laid his eyes on his convicted brother.

 

                  Brother. Indeed a bitter word to say.

 

                  “My poison should’ve killed you,” Lady Ara stated, showing her hands that were starting to turn colors. My eyes darkened. So this was the poison that almost killed the both of us. Was she indirectly asking for a fight?

 

                  As if he could sense my discomfort, Jinki glared at Lady Ara and warned her, “Get in the room, Ara. Else, I wouldn’t let you go so easily like I did last time.”

 

                  Lord Kyungsoo glanced at Ara, and it seemed that he, too, was perplexed to see that the fearless Lady was frightened of someone, too. Prince Suho inched closer protectively, his nature of being a gentle guardian kicked in instinctively. Lady Ara was one lucky person, to have so many people by her side, genuinely caring and loving towards her.

 

                  “Let’s go, Prince Kyungsoo, Prince Suho.”

 

                  Lord Kyungsoo stiffened at the distant title and walked behind her, not even noticing that his longtime enemy Prince Suho was walking with him side by side.

 

                  They were the last guests to come, and as soon as they were in, Jinki motioned for Baekhyun to close the door while he teleported somewhere else. I sighed in relief and walked towards him. He managed a tired smile and slid down the floor, holding onto a huge wound on his hips. I didn’t see it when he was standing just now.

 

                  “This is nasty. Who did it?” I ripped off the clothes and observed his wound. It was slowly closing in, but it still didn’t lessen the pain on his lower abdomen.  

 

                  “A…ra,” Baekhyun had difficulty breathing in and almost choked, but I gently massaged his back as he coughed out, both in pain and in relief. I glowered at the door though I couldn’t see where Lady Ara was sitting. She had injured Baekhyun twice, and both times, I was the one who helped him with it. One day, she would definitely pay for hurting my best friend.

 

                  “Can you stand up? I will transfer some of my energy to help you heal your wound,” I held onto his arms, but he shook his head almost immediately. The looks in his dull pale eyes were gaunt and lifeless, and it scared me. “Baekhyun, come on. Don’t be such a kid and let me heal you first.”

 

                  Baekhyun glared at me, and threw a solid punch, which I blocked with my palm. “I am not acting out. Just let me be. I don’t need your help. I will be fine on my own. Besides, the injuries were pretty shallow compared to the one you gave me.” I cringed and he forced out a laugh, “You need to conserve your energy for the Lord.” I choked out.

 

                  I glared at him coldly and sat on the other side of the door and watched as he writhed in pain, waiting for the wound to heal.

 

                  One hour.

 

                  Two hours.

 

                  I slowly started wondering whether the Lord had killed them all.

 

                  “Hey,” Baekhyun nudged at me slowly. The door opened and the Lord came out. He looked radiant, as if he had just taken his daily dose of happiness. The room was already empty, and I suspected that the Lord had already teleported the clans’ leaders back to their respective areas.

 

                  “How did it go?”

 

                  Jinki came out right after the Lord, looking exhausted and miserable. He had two obvious circles under his eyes, and even his shoulder was slumped forward. “It was fine. He scared them off,” Jinki waved us away, “I need rest. Don’t bother me. You can bother the Lord, instead.”

 

                  The Lord brushed the hair away from my face and nodded, “The plan is moving at a stable speed. You need not to worry. The ball is coming soon. Shouldn’t you take care of yourself better?”

 

***

 

                  I massaged my sore ankles and examined the blue dress in my hands. Indeed, Jinki had brought me an exquisite dress from the Faery seamstress. The color matched my skin and my hair color, and I was sure I would like it very much.

 

                  The Lord and the others were preparing for the ball, so I had the whole afternoon to get ready and go to the venue myself. It would also avoid suspicion from other parties. The only person who had seen my real face was Hana, but without a concrete proof, she couldn’t just point out her fingers and accused me of treason.

 

                  I hesitantly pat on the pearl powder the Sirens had especially gifted me. Immortal’s skin was almost always flawless, but a bit of makeup highlighted the skin’s radiance under bright light. Instead of going for natural spring look, I opted for sultry and seductive. Brown, gold, dark blue. I tried to make it seem like I was still me, just a little bit different.

 

                  Joo Ri was famed for her innocence and purity. I would be the complete opposite of her. She was a Goddess, I was an enchantress.

 

                  I had no hope to stand out in the ball because I knew it would attract unwanted attention from others. Even without the blush, my cheeks were warm when I thought about the Lord.

 

                  I didn’t want to look pretty for other people. I just wanted to be pretty for him. How would he think of me, how would he see me. I bit back a smile and put on the coral color on my lips as the last touch. I only wanted Lord Chanyeol to take notice. Only him and no others.

 

                  I slipped out of my pants and tops and changed into the turquoise dress, feeling the silky material against my bare skin. In a century time, this was the second time I ever worn a formal evening dress to a ball. I had always been hidden from the world, waiting for the right time to come out. All because of my face. Being Joo Ri’s look-alike had its advantages and disadvantages.

 

                  I heard a knock on my door. A familiar scent came in, and I immediately knew who it was. So Baekhyun stayed back and decided to accompany me to the party. How nice and thoughtful of him. Without waiting for my reply, Baekhyun turned the knob and walked in uninvited, a smug smile making its way to his lips.

 

                  “Oh, wow,” was all he said in that breathless husky tone. He looked at me from head-to-toe, gaping a few times. His eyes turned softer, and for the first time in my life, those lifeless orbs came alive. They were so bright and illuminating, as if he had just swallowed the world and put it in his eyes.

 

                  “Oh wow yourself,” I offered him a compliment and smiled. “You look dashing.”

 

                  Had it been a few months ago, my heart would still react upon the very sight of him. He looked very handsome in black suit. His lips curved up again, and he bowed down mockingly, enjoying the attention I was giving him.

 

                  “Can you help me with this necklace?” I dangled a pink pearl necklace in front of him and he caught it without hesitation. I turned around and tilted my head so he would have a better angle. Soon, silence followed.

 

                  His fingers traced the skin of my neck gently, as if he was scared that he would hurt me. He stopped for a second, and then he struggled with the bait of the necklace. I could feel his unsteady breathing on my back. I closed my eyes and waited. When he stopped struggling, I knew he was done, but I made no movement at all.

 

                  “It’s done.”

 

                  When I turned around, he was looking down at the floor, his lips trembled a little. He turned his back at me. In that moment, I knew, and he knew, too. I could hear the shattering pieces of his heart, slowly breaking onto the floor. Only that no one was there to pick it up. Because no one would understand the silent echo of his broken heart.