17. The Return

The Forsaken #3

                  The Dragon twins were promised the precious stones from the Shadow world, a kind that was buried on the bottom of the river, where all sorts of creatures existed. The stone was very valuable. It was a worthy prize for the Lord's body.

 

                  I was curious about how he would look like in his real body, seeing that he insulted Baekhyun, one of the highly sought-after bachelors in the Shadow world. The Lord looked like he was thinking long and hard. He had his hands folded in front of his chest. There were only five of us here. The twins had dived in for hours now. And still, we were waiting patiently.

 

                  "What will you do with your body after you find it, my Lord?"

 

                  He chuckled, though his eyes were still grim. Something must be bothering him. "There are so much to do, and we have all the time in the world to do a list of it." I looked at him. When he said we, did he mean the two of us, or the whole Demon clan?

 

                  "You should be ready for something," The Lord looked straight ahead with the distant eyes I always saw. "When the assassins buried my body here, I suspect that they planted a trap for precaution. Perhaps they'd guess this day would come. Serves them right," he spat begrudgingly, "Out of all places they could choose; a human world!" He talked as if it was a nasty secret.

 

                  I rolled my eyes at him, and he noticed it. Both of us sneered and glared at each other before looking away. He was having a mean strike.

 

                  "They're resurfacing!" Jinki shouted from a distance. But then he ran back in terror, "Step back!" And before I could react, The Lord grabbed me by the waist and threw me into his shoulder, as the three of us ran. I could see the ground shaking tremendously as if something, or someone was causing it. I let The Lord dragged me a good few meters because I could see from their backs.

 

                  The Dragon came out of the water, roaring madly as they thrashed wildly and folded their wings. They flew into the open sky with insane speed, their tails dragging an opened coffin. His Lord's body fell from the box and onto the ground. I pounded at his back and shouted, "My Lord! My Lord! It's your body... It's..."

 

                  It was an odd number of thirteen. Thirteen people dressed like ancient Japanese warriors came out of the water. Their skin was black as their shields, their eyes completely red. I stopped struggling when both Jinki and The Lord stopped moving. I jumped from his shoulder and stood back, covered by their builts. The Japanese warriors were holding onto the silk-wrapped body defensively.

 

                  "I'd never thought this day would come," The front man talked and stepped forward. He smelt nasty, the way a corpse would after a few days. "You took on a different body, but we would still recognize you." He growled loudly at his opponent, and I unconsciously tightened my fist just in case. "The Lord of the Undead."

 

                  "You're greatly mistaken if you think that I was dead, Child," The Lord spoke as if he knew them. He was slightly trembling, perhaps from the madness and anger he felt. But I couldn't really tell. "I will never soundly rest until I see the murderers murdered justifiably."

 

                  I was still hiding, thinking. Processing their words.

 

                  "The murder of Seo Joo Ri was for good," The warrior drew a deep breath, and even the way he spoke was very old-fashioned. "You will never understand that."

 

                  "I shan't, ever," The Lord spat. "Tell me, did Leeteuk, Yunho, Jiyong and Soohyun cursed you with the task of guarding the coffin?"

 

                  "The Lords were wise to do so." The leader of the warriors looked smug. From the way they conversed, I could barely make a story out of what happened between them. Out of the four leaders mentioned, the vampire Soohyun and werewolf Jiyong were dead from wars. And that left two Faery Kings who rarely showed up in the face of public. They must be terrified to learn that the body's hideout had been discovered. "They were preparing this for today."

 

                  The one standing next to the leader took a step to the front and fiercely stated, "This task is not a curse. We volunteered to guard the coffin to prevent the likes of you from taking it back." Clearly, his words were a mistake. The Lord might be angry before, but he was furious now. He raised his hand, and in a split second, a head was cut off from its body. My eyes widened at the unbelievable speed.

 

                  "You dare to challenge me?!" The Lord asked with the frightening icy tone as he appeared behind the thirteen - now twelve - warriors. "You may reign before as the Thirteen, but now no more. I will end you today until you are left in nothing but pieces." His eyes were visibly red, and veins appeared around his eyes. He had tried to conceal his aura before, but now he let it loose, and I found it hard to breathe in such a suffocating tension.

 

                  Jinki was not far in front of me. He placed his hand on top of his blade, just for precaution, but I already drew my sword. Jinki placed a hand to prevent me from taking another step. "Let him. This is a matter of small revenge. These thirteen assassins killed Joo Ri before."

 

                  I lowered my sword, but stood on guard. My skin was being pierced by electricity. When he stomped his feet onto the ice, it cracked. I looked at Jinki, alarmed. Before we could run out of it, the ice broke. And I was surrounded by shreds of ices and water too cold for my own good. I would not die for it, but it still hurt. I wasn't entirely inhumane like Jinki and The Lord. Right now, my human side was reacting, kicking in self defense.

 

                  Fighting under water was not something I liked. But when I saw a hoard of angry warriors swimming towards The Lord in the speed of a hungry shark, I had to do something. I didn't bother to find my sword - it had sunk down somewhere deeper. Swimming closer, I grabbed onto the shoulder of a warrior, and concentrated on the energy in my hand. Slash! His long, sharp nails injured my cheeks and the blood mixed with the water.

 

                  It was a wasteful effort, trying to blow him up, so I grabbed a dagger from my waist and began fighting him. He blocked my hand and tried to kick me off, but the water made our movements way too slow. I tilted the daggers upwards and he tried to prevent me from damaging his skin.

 

                  These warriors must have been compelled to fight on The Lord and no one else. None of them turned to help their friend. I blinked and focused more strength on my wrist. The warrior was strong; I had to admit this. I wasn't very good in physical fight because I relied more on my psychic ability. But I was no weakling.

 

                  After I injured the opponent's wrist, I had hoped that he would at least back down to give me more room to breathe. But he held me down as if his injury didn't bother him the slightest. Then Jinki came to my rescue and pulled me out of the water. I dragged along warriors that were nearest to me, their swords injuring me in the process. If they planned on fighting with their lives, then so would I.

 

                  The first breathe of air brought me back alive. My brain was functioning again. Without hesitation, I touched the head of a warrior and closed my eyes. I could feel energy pulsating like a spark of fire in my palm. I set his head on fire. I let go - my blood fell onto the water and I could taste the bitterness of it and the spicy pain on my skin. There were plenty more wounds, but I couldn't careless.

 

                  I swam to the nearest ground and climbed up. I was starting to feel my feet again. This was an ability I had acquired for a long time, but rarely used. I shook off the water from my body and stretched out my hands. Bones formed and reformed and they stuck out from my hand with a sharper edge. I hated using my own bones as a source of weapon because it drained me out faster than the other two abilities.

 

                  I ran to the nearest warrior and stabbed his arms, legs, and stomach in the speed of light. They might be stronger under water, but above, I was faster, and much, more lethal. The bone was an extension of my hand, and while it wasn't as strong as steel would be, it was lighter and sharper.

 

                  Fighting for me was like a dancing routine. I went round with a grace to match a ballerina, and jumped, waving my weapons mid-air. When I stabbed, I must do it with full force, or it wouldn't go as deeply as I would've liked. I shouldn't stay in the same position for far too long or the enemies wouldn't catch, so I would swing my weapon, cutting the enemies' bodies in halves. Now their blood bathed me in intense red color. I it off. Huffing. My chest heaving up and down.

 

                  Damn. I had to hold on a bit longer. Forcing my consciousness, I was about to jump into the water before it exploded and came in waves like small tsunamis. The ground beneath me exploded and I was, once again, swapped by the force of water. The flood was worse than I expected. The Lord had attempted to empty the lake to kill off his enemies. It was a crazy idea. But then, his Lord had never been completely sane, either.

 

                  Everything around me was flooded. I couldn't grab onto something to support myself. Ah, my consciousness was threatening me again. I almost closed my eyes, but in an attempt to stay awake, I injured my arms, all the way down to my hands. The blood flew into different direction, and the pain consumed me. Surely, wound like this would take longer to heal, so I had more chance to stay awake and do something.

 

                  I tried my best to fight off the string wave and swam above, and as I breathe air again, I realized I had been swapped a few hundred meters away. Damn, months without exercise must have gotten me rusty. My bone returned to my hands and I could feel my palm, cold against my skin.

 

                  The water finally calmed down a little, and I used the chance to grab onto the ground. Even from afar, I could see the bizarre red aura that resembled the color of intense blood ruby. It was him, my Lord, clawing the unbeating hearts out of the warriors.

 

                  Not far from me, was the black coffin that contained his body. Strangely, it was the only thing untouched by the flood. Instead of going back to help him, I went to check on the coffin. The temptation to open it was too great and I could feel my hands twitching in anticipation. Finally, I would be able to look at him, and not the pictures of his fairy tales and stories. This man, my Lord, my betrothed.

 

                  "Stop!" The Lord hissed and pulled me back. I jumped back in reflex, because I couldn't feel him at all. "If anyone other than me touch this, she will be cursed for eternity." I retreated a few steps back. His menacing glare was merciless. Even when I tried to shield myself from it, I could feel it's effect - frightening and haunting.

 

                  "Mrya mun khraznakk," He spoke in an ancient language - I have returned. Then slowly, he opened the coffin cover. It was as if the time had slowed down. Baekhyun's body slipped onto the ground like a lifeless doll. I ran to him and gasped when I saw his real body. So beautiful, so otherworldly. My jaw hung open in awe. Baekhyun stayed limp on my arms.

 

                  I couldn't resist the urge to call him by his real name, "Lord Chanyeol..."

 

                  He opened his eyes.