23. Closer

The Forsaken #3

                  The door opened and closed.

 

                  My back stiffened when I sniffed the air and smelt the scent of spicy peppermint. The Lord, I realized, had always smelt like a blend of winter and autumn, or something in-between. His body emitted warmth, and it was pleasant to be close to him.

 

It had been too long since we were alone in a room together, and this time, I silently let it go. I had grown used to his intimidating presence. In fact, I found it soothing at times, just to have him nearby.

 

Lord Chanyeol sat next to me. His clothing barely covered his muscular arms. There was a tattoo on his wrist; a Rune of strength and speed. I touched it and traced my fingers on the dried wound.

 

“You’ve missed food for three days straight,” He softly said. His eyebrows were furrowed together to show concern. I chuckled and shivered when the wind blew the hair on my face. The Lord had a nice house. His balcony was facing the grass field, where I could see the moon clearly from up above. “Are you still mad?”

 

Mad?

 

Many times I asked myself why I behaved the way I did.

 

“I am not mad,” At least not at others other than myself. I felt so cheated when Baekhyun planted his lips on mine and stole my first kiss. I was so enraged about it. Girls usually saved their first kiss for twenty years or so. I fiercely protected it for a century only to be taken away by my most trusted friend. I had a right to be mad. And most of all, I was disappointed beyond words. If I could cry and weep over it, I would. But I didn’t. A kiss was not worth the tears.

 

“You can be mad at him, but you can’t avoid it. What’s done has been done,” He frankly spoke. Lord Chanyeol seemed to grow gentler nowadays. I pictured him as a ruthless leader before, but now I wasn’t so sure if he really was as bad as everyone had said. When I was happy, he teased me endlessly. When I was sad, he hugged me and never questioned me about it. When I was pissed, he knew exactly the right words to say so I wouldn’t feel as ty. I liked it.

 

“I don’t know how to face him. I was angry. And I got over it. But now I’m just too disappointed at him,” I sighed. When I looked down at my hand, I started to notice the close proximity between the two of us. Our skin touching. My palms were hot. His hands were inches away. I bit my lips and looked away.

 

“Are you disappointed because he kissed you?”

 

“I am disappointed because he knows what a kiss means to me, and still did it anyway. A kiss is a kiss, my Lord, I would’ve gotten over it long time ago,” If only that wasn’t my first kiss. Byun Baekhyun knew my first kiss was sacred, and he just took it away mercilessly. I took serious offense in that action.

 

Silence.

 

“You know, my Dear, one of my abilities involve reading minds of others.”

 

Well.

 

that.

 

“So you… uh,” I was at loss of words. My voice died down.

 

“Sorry.” But he didn’t sound apologetic at the very least. His sorry sounded like a cruel mocking on his part.

 

“No, you’re not.”

 

Silence confirmed that the Lord was not sorry and he would never be.

 

“So you’ve been reading my mind for the past… few weeks.” Which was his entire existence since he woke up from the deep slumber. I was practicing different curses in my head. But he probably heard them all. I blushed different shades of red. “Why didn’t you tell me before?”  

 

He brushed the hair out of my face. I didn’t know why the moon shone brighter than usual, or if his face was naturally so radiant under the light. I could feel his soft breath tickled my face. I closed my eyes and forced myself to calm down. I dared not to think too much anymore; else I would reveal everything to him. Everything I had planned out so carefully. I could see my façade fading. It became clear to me how he seemed to know me better than anyone else. He had been secretly reading my thoughts. And I let him in foolishly.

 

“Your thoughts are amusing. And so are you. Your mind and your body do exactly the opposite of each other. And when I see your denial over and over again, I can’t help myself. It’s just endearing to me.” He started my cheeks and I opened my lips slightly. “Open your eyes. I want to see them.”

 

Maybe it was reflex. The obedient me immediately opened my eyes and looked at him curiously. His index finger touched my lips, opening them widely as he brushed his finger against the softness of my lips. I shivered in delight.

 

“You know,” I barely whispered. The Lord knew about my mixed feelings towards him. His eyes turned a shade darker, and something familiar misted his orbs. I knew lust when I saw them. I held my breathe altogether.

 

“Was it your first kiss?” He asked softly. I could feel a gentle affection from his tone, and I couldn’t help the swell in pride and a slight increase of heartbeat. I didn’t reply. He knew my silence confirmed it. He stopped my lips and withdrew his hand. I almost moaned at the loss but bit my lips to be quiet. I needed not to embarrass myself further.

 

“Look at me,” The Lord commanded. My eyes found their ways back to his green ones. I swore the moonlight was doing some voodoo spell on my heart because God, did he look surreal at the moment. His lips parted again, “I want you to look at me as I take away your kiss, second time and whatnot.”

 

I pulled away, but my wrists were bounded to his iron grips. My heart almost jumped out of my chest. He dove in, and my eyes widened. There was a strange flutter in my stomach, fire that burnt hotter and hotter until it shut down every working cell in my body. I felt numb. I felt powerless. But the feeling was one of delight; so strong that I was limp against his arms.

 

He kissed me. His eyes closed. And I found myself giving in.

 

I was an inexperienced kisser, so I waited for him to move his lips against mine. I let out the breath I had been holding and accidentally moaned when he bit my lips. He pulled away abruptly, just as I was about to kiss back. I could have cried at the sudden halt, but his expression shut me completely.

 

Lord Chanyeol looked at me with desire as he wiped his lips with the thumb. Desire that mirrored my own. “How was it?”

 

I was too struck to answer. Sensing my confusion, he grabbed me by the shoulder and kissed me again. It was hot at first, then gradually, he became gentler, sweeter. He slowly opened up my lips and entangled our tongues in the most sensual way.

 

Baekhyun’s kiss was sloppy. I could only feel the wetness of his lips against mine. I didn’t know if kisses were supposed to be like that. But Lord Chanyeol’s was different. I could actually taste the passion in-between our kisses. His was heavenly. Addictive. And I could get loss in this moment forever. But he pulled away yet again.

 

What…?”

 

“This lips are mine,” At first he said it huskily, but then he growled almost fiercely and protectively. He pecked me yet again, “Your body is mine.” He gripped onto my arms tightly, “Your heart is mine. Do you understand what that means?”

 

I wasn’t used to his mood swings, but it was so irresistibly y at the same time. I was rendered speechless when he coldly smiled at me, “It means you are ing mine, and nobody else touches you. Not Jinki, not Jino, and definitely not Baekhyun!”

 

Oh wow. I didn’t expect that.

 

Er… I am yours?” I raised my eyebrow at him. He raised his eyebrow back at me and challengingly asked, “Do I need to kiss you again?”

 

“So wait, I am officially yours,” I poked a finger at his chest. This guy must’ve exercised like crazy. “Not because of the bond. Not just for public’s eyes. But yours yours…?” The last sentence was almost voiceless. I dared to look at him so that I could see through his lies. I waited for his mockery to come. But the Lord was actually sincere enough that he started laughing like a maniac.

 

“I’ll leave it up to you. Either way, you are officially mine,” The Lord cackled, “So you’d better tell Baekhyun off before I do that for you. And trust me, it won’t be pretty.”

 

I rolled my eyes at him, “I don’t need your petty jealousy. I can handle Baekhyun just fine.”

 

“My jealousy is not petty,” He said firmly, his fists balling as if I just added salt on his wound. “What’s wrong with being a little protective over my woman?”

 

My woman. Two words, a thousand feeling. I bit back the blush and the sudden cheerfulness that appeared at the back of my brain. No, I wasn’t about to giggle like some lovesick puppy. I was way too prideful for that. Truth to be told, I liked his protectiveness. What women wouldn’t be flattered when their men gave them attention they so deserved?

 

“I know Baekhyun. He wouldn’t dare to ask for more. Or I will make sure his pretty little neck is broken and cut off. Then I will hang his head at the wall next to the library.” Of course I was just talking big. How could I ever kill Baekhyun, regardless of what he had done to me. We had a past, and it wasn’t something I could just shake off for the time being. But the Lord knew I had chosen him. And he was smug about it.

 

“Your words, not mine.” He jumped off of the balcony and started walking away. His back was straight and tall. I pondered about this sudden urge to kiss him again. But then he turned back, as if he had read my mind.

 

“Prepare yourself for a ball in Irene’s house. We are going to start the plan very soon.”

 

He wickedly and enchantingly smiled at me, before stealing one last peck and bid me goodbye and goodnight,

 

Sweet dreams, Dearest One.”