10. A Messy Dinner

The Forsaken #3

            Do you know what the Demons eat?

 

            We ate almost everything. We drank blood, ate raw meats, we hunted like animals. And we were feared. Not even the werewolves were as brutal as the Demons. Unfortunately, our races had declined in numbers due to the difficulties of transforming one into a Demon. Unlike other clans, we did not spread our virus by blood, or bites. No one but our Lord could transform a human into a Demon by blood.

 

            Foods wasn't the first concern for our clan. We made deals with humans and other races to keep our energy supply. It wasn't a lie when people said the Demons could do almost anything, including resurrecting the death from their sleeps. Of course, every wish had a price to pay. And more often than not, the price was heavier than the wish itself.

 

            “How long are you going to keep me here?” I put down the utensils on the table and looked across. My Lord sat in front of me, in the end of this long table. Jinki was outside, doing God knew what. It was only the two of us and it unnerved me how he hadn't even looked at me in the eyes and yet, he calmly kept on eating the fine food served.

 

            I sighed. If he was going to ignore me like this, why did I even bother to entertain him. I picked up my fork again, and felt the coldness sipping into my heart. The sentence 'why did I bother' kept on coming back and even the food was tasteless in my mouth. All I could stare at was the half-empty plate. White and dirty.

 

            “You have to understand that eavesdropping is intolerable.”

 

            I finally looked up. His words struck me.

 

            “It's not called 'eavesdropping' if you know I was listening,” I calmly replied and continued eating my food, only that this time the taste was not so bland anymore. I was smirking deep, down inside while I maintained a cold, close to emotionless expression. I liked talking back to my Lord. It gave me a sense of peace.

 

            “So you just admit that you were, indeed, listening to our conversation,” His eyes finally found mine, and my heart was doing this weird giggly jumps. I brushed it off as annoyance and stared back at his hardened gaze. He was a control freak, but I was not a submissive. This was not Fifty Shades of Grey. Unfortunately.

 

            Wait. Did I just admit indirectly that I wanted and hot ? With my Lord?

 

            No. No.

 

            NO. It was a joke. A messy, not-funny-at-all kind of joke.

 

            My brain was messing with me.

 

             “And if I did?” I challenged him. There was amusement dancing in his green eyes.

 

            “You're a defiant little creature, aren't you?”

 

            “I don't like that term, my Lord,” I had a sarcastic smile plastered on my face. My voice was this surprising mix of velvety and honey-like. Sweet and fake. Urgh! I shivered. My tone disgusted myself. “But if that term annoys you, then I will take it as a compliment. Thank you.”

 

            “You're welcome,” He raised his glass, now filled with red wine, while mine was empty. Not a single drop of water. My Lord chuckled and drank his wine in one-shot. I watched as the red liquid passed by the transparent barrier and into that soft, smooth line of his lips. He gulped and the Adam's apple moved down. Some of the wine escaped from his mouth and ran down his neck. Then he his lips. Slowly. Sensually. What the hell. What the hell, indeed.

 

            “Jinki told me he trained you in your youth,” The Lord had finished eating. He put down his glass and put down the clean white cloth into one side of the table. He was definitely not a messy eater like I suspected him to be. In fact, everything he did, he did it with grace. It was like watching a Faery moved. Light and elegant. But then, his next sentence just turned me off, “But it's not like you're an adult now.”

 

            “You're always asking for a fight, aren't you?” I scoffed, “Jinki is my mentor, yes.”

 

            “It's a fight if only you bite into the hook,” He smiled, and with Baekhyun's eyes, they formed two crescent moons. Sometimes I forgot who he really was. At times I was reminded of Baekhyun. But then the Lord was so, so different that I thought he was a separate entity. “You must be strong, then, since Jinki approves of you.”

 

            “Maybe we should spar someday,” I grinned at him. I knew I would surely lose, but it was worth a try. Who wouldn't want a taste of how powerful the Great Demon could be? He was a feared warrior throughout the vast land.

 

            “You will regret it,” His grin grew wider. And I could feel the choked laughter I tried hard to suppress.

 

            “I know I won't. No need to worry... my Lord,” I teased back, and I knew he liked it when I flirt. His eyes shimmered with delight and I could hear the soft purr of satisfaction across the table. At times like this, the Lord confused me and pleased me at the same time. Maybe I was the only one thinking too deep and reading too much.

 

            “Do you know what we are doing now?” He looked up at the ceiling and hummed a soft melody I didn't know exist. His voice was Baekhyun's voice, and when he sang, it was hauntingly beautiful. It had a rough edge to it, and low and husky. He didn't look at me anymore, and instead focused his eyes on the structure of the walls.

 

            “I won't know if you won't tell me.” I replied, following the movement of his eyes.

 

            “We are waiting,” His answer was no different to his melody.

 

            Something was stirring in the darkness. I looked up at the ceiling and realized there had been shadows, the parts where it was not covered with the lights. The shadows moved and I heard a thump and flinched. Something big was coming. The shadow moved again to the dark part of the room and disappeared altogether.

 

            I looked at my Lord, wide-eyed and he shook his head at me as a warning to keep quiet.

 

            Outside of the dining room, there was a long corridor that led to the store room. And from there, I felt movements. It was not in a rush. And there was light sound of its footsteps as if it knew exactly what it was doing. The aura was powerful and I could feel it even from afar. I looked back at my Lord, tempted to stand up and open the door, but his eyes had sealed my movement. I was stuck to the chair, waiting, as he said.

 

            “Do not be scared,” My Lord emphasized with a serious look on his face, “He won't do you any harm.”

 

            Perhaps I was scared. Because I feared for the unknown.

 

            The door flung open, and the effect was so strong that the remaining pieces of woods scattered across the room, and unknowingly, my cheeks bled. I breathed in and out at the smell of blood because I could hardly contain the excitement and thrill. My heart was pumping so fast that all the noises drowned in. The only thing that kept me sane, at least for now, was the constant reminder that this person, this 'he' was my Lord's guest. And all guests must be treated fairly.

 

            I the blood off as it ran down my cheeks. The taste was still so sweet and savory. The Lord smirked sinisterly at me and got up. In a split second, I was up on my feet. The Lord threw the table to one side like it was a rack. And even I was surprised by the sudden movement. The table was split into the two the moment it hit the wall and broke off.

 

            Something huge stood over the door and I slowly turned back. 'He' was three meters tall. But how my Lord knew it was a 'he' was beyond me. This man had no facial features. It wasn't even a mask. His face was just a flat white surface. I had never seen anything like him my entire life. He wore a long coat and his body was surprisingly humane. When he moved, though, he was as fast as lightning. That was before I realized he was aiming at me.

 

            The Lord appeared in front of me and caught his fist before it could do any damage.

 

            “I did not invite you, Lower Demon,” the coldness in his voice was slowly slipping into my heart, but what scared me the most was the calm smile that appeared on his face when he talked. “You should know that I do not appreciate it when you mess with my house.” He didn't even glance at me once when he said, “And that girl is off-limit.”

 

            The Lower Demon nodded and tried to retract his hand, but my Lord was holding onto it. And then it burst. His hand was no longer. I gaped at the scene before me. I didn't know what kind of expression he had, because his back was facing me.

 

            “What are you doing?” Now he talked to me and I straightened my back. “Go up to the upper level and bring the guest down here.”

 

            It took me a good few seconds to snap out of it and nodded quietly. Before I slipped into the corridor, I glanced at my Lord one last time, and saw that he had a blank look. His smile was long gone. And his eyes were lifeless. I knew the Lower Demon would be no more by the time I came back, and I bitterly sniffed at the thought.

 

            The walk to the stairs seemed to take longer. Every steps grew heavier as I pondered on the kind of guests we would be having over the dinner.

 

            “You must have been lost in your thoughts,” A voice told me and I whipped around so fast I saw blurs of lines. Someone was there, in the shadow. I could not see her face, but she wore expensive suits that was specially tailored for men. She was tall, and I could tell from her accent, she must have been a Spanish descendant. She had exotic tan skin that glowed, and pouty red lips whose color resembled half-dried blood. “You didn't notice me.”

 

            She was like a cat. The comparison was perplexing but true. She moved slowly to build up the tension, but I was not one to be caught up in her trap. So I backed away a few steps and watched her carefully, “I apologize for my rudeness. You must have been my Lord's guest.”

 

            I heard her laughter and immediately disliked it. It was an eerie sound that reminded me of funerals and graveyards.

 

            “I heard noises below. Is my servant causing you trouble?”

 

            I smiled at her coldly, the taste of blood remained.

 

            “Why don't I take you down to meet my Lord? We have been waiting for your arrival.”

 

            I waited for her to step out of the shadow. She was a fine lady with a black veil covering half of her eyes. The right eye was an odd combination of crimson red. The color itself was even more beautiful than her lips. She had visible cheekbones, which made her look older than she actually was. She was two heads taller than me, and I was of average height for human.

 

            “Let's go. Shan't keep the Lord waiting for too long.”