The Cave

The Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time the two of them had finally clambered their way out of the ditch (after countless times of failing) and had gone to retrieve their weapons at the lake, the sun had already set behind the mountains, and darkness covered the land. The moon peeped out from behind grey clouds as the duo continued their journey. Feeling his feet throb, Kyuhyun leaned against a tree.

“I think we should stop for the night,” he stated, legs shaking. Ryeowook nodded. Then, something in the distance caught his attention. Ryeowook squinted his eyes, adjusting them to the darkness. Light was coming from a distant cave. It looked oddly familiar.

“I think I know that place,” he muttered to Kyuhyun, pointing towards the faraway light, “Maybe we could spend the night there.” With that, they made their way towards the cave entrance. A pale brown door stood at the entrance, a single lamp shining above it. Ryeowook traced his hand across the door’s rough surface.

“I know this place!” Ryeowook exclaimed to Kyuhyun, memories flooding back to him, “This is where the old wizard Yunho lives! He’s an old friend of my parents. They used to bring me here to visit him. My mother said he was the one who gave me this necklace.” Turning back to the door, he knocked on it three times, no more, no less.

“Come in,” a familiar voice rasped from behind the door as it creaked open. Kyuhyun hesitated for a moment. Ryeowook, smiling, took his hand and led him in. The place had not changed at all, the familiar books and charms taking Ryeowook back to his childhood days. Kyuhyun looked around.

“Where is he?” he whispered. As if answering his question, a soft thudding echoed around the room, making Kyuhyun jump. Yunho emerged from behind a spiral stairway, pale eyes fixed on nothing but thin air. He shuffled up to greet the two men.

“It’s good to see you again, young prince,” Yunho spoke as he grasped Ryeowook’s hands in his, “I’ve been expecting you.” Ryeowook dipped his head to the old wizard.

“It’s good to see you too, Yunho,” he greeted, “We were on our way to Severin’s castle.” Yunho smiled.

“I know,” he croaked, “But it’s getting late now. You two can sleep here for the night.” Ryeowook’s eyes lit up.

“Thank you!” Yunho gave another wrinkled smile. Then, he turned to Kyuhyun.

“And, who might you be?” the old wizard asked.

“My name is Kyuhyun,” the man dipped his head to Yunho as well. Yunho slowly reached forward, curling his bony fingers around the necklace dangling from Kyuhyun’s neck. Feeling the crystal in his hand, he turned back to Ryeowook.

“I see you have found your soul-mate then,” Yunho stated with a broad, toothless smile. Ryeowook, grinning, nodded.  The old wizard now faced the two of them as he leaned on his staff.

"Go upstairs and place your weapons in your room," Yunho said in a hoarse voice, “I shall tell you more over dinner.” Giving a firm nod, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook scampered up the stairs.

 

Sitting around an oval shaped wooden table, the duo chewed on their smoked fish as they listened to the old wizard.

A long time ago, there was a young serpent. He lived a peaceful life together with his mother and father. However, one fateful day, a hunter entered their forest home, bow in hand, out searching for game. The serpent fled with his family, determined to escape the hunter’s arrow. However, they were not fast enough. The hunter, spotting the three red serpents raised his bow and fired. Arrows pierced through the young serpent’s parents, just missing his tail. As hr ducked into a bush, he watched with horror through the leaves as the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter