The Final Battle

The Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Where are they taking us?” was the only question that flashed through Ryeowook’s mind as the Sevs led him and Kyuhyun through a dark corridor. The duo’s footsteps were about as heavy as the metal chains around their wrists as they trailed behind the serpents. Amidst the clanking of prison chains, Ryeowook gazed up at Kyuhyun next to him. The man looked equally anxious. The prince turned back to the Sevs.

 

“Where are we going?” one of the Sevs turned its head back at the question. Its lips curled in a devilish smile.

 

“You’ll know soon enough,” despite the words being muffled by the chain hanging from the Sev’s jaw, they made a chill run down Kyuhyun and Ryeowook’s spine. Finally, they reached a tall wooden door at the end of the walkway. With two torches at its sides, the door’s dark brown surface glowed a dim fiery amber, bones lining its curved outline. Lifting its tail, one of the Sevs coiled its tip around the circular metal handle. With a light tug, the door creaked open. Pitch darkness greeted them.

 

“Here we are,” the Sev hissed, tail grabbing a torch. With that, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were pulled in. The torch’s light illuminated the small empty room, revealing a metal lever poking out from the musty walls. The duo’s blood turned an icy cold at the sight of a noose hanging from the ceiling. A Sev sneered as it closed the wooden door.

 

“You,” it tugged Ryeowook towards the noose, “You’ll die first.” Heart pounding wildly against his ribcage, the prince fought against the serpent’s tight grasp. But it was in vain.

 

“No!” Kyuhyun leapt forward, hands reaching for Ryeowook. However, he was instantly pulled back. Eyes full of terror, he watched as his partner was dragged under the noose. The Sev holding onto Kyuhyun’s chain lowered its head to his ear.

 

“Don’t worry,” it snickered, “Your turn will come soon.” The other serpent had now brought the rope around Ryeowook’s neck. Slithering over to the lever, it wrapped its tail around it. Kyuhyun's brows furrowed. He had to stop the Sevs, and fast. It was then that Kyuhyun’s eyes turned to the dagger still sheaved on his right arm. His heart lifted. The Sev’s red eyes were now fixed on Ryeowook.

 

“Any last words?” Kyuhyun caught sight of the fear clouding Ryeowook’s eyes as the prince lifted his gaze onto him. Discretely, Kyuhyun nodded to the dagger on his arm. His partner's eyes lit up. As quick as a flash, Kyuhyun seized the blade between his teeth and, with a swift blow, struck the Sev behind him. The snake let out a roar of agony as it tumbled to the ground, blue blood spilling from its chest. Whirling around, Kyuhyun slotted the beast’s fang between his bound wrists, the metal chains falling to the ground. The other Sev stared with shock at the sight of the dagger now in Kyuhyun’s hands. With a battle cry, he leapt into the air, the blade slicing the noose in two. The rope draped around Ryeowook’s neck as Kyuhyun made straight for the serpent. The Sev’s eyes widened as Kyuhyun’s blade penetrated its neck. But just as its shadowed body fell to the ground, its snout smashed against the lever. With a creak, the floor below Ryeowook opened up, sending him flying downwards, screaming with terror. A hand gripped around his wrists, just before he fell into the pit of no return. Heart still racing, he looked up, only to find Kyuhyun grabbing onto him. Muscles tensing, the man gave a strong pull, stumbling backwards just as the prince fell on top of him. Ryeowook’s arms wrapped around Kyuhyun’s shoulders tightly. He buried his face in the crook of the man’s neck, shoulders shaking with fear. Kyuhyun held the frightened prince close to him.

 

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” he soothed, rubbing Ryeowook’s trembling back. Soon, the prince's grip around Kyuhyun loosened and, gently, he pulled Ryeowook to his feet.

 

“Come on,” he took his partner’s hand. Together, they bolted out the door and up the stairway, swiftly knocking out the Sevs guarding the throne room.


Swords in hand, the two men burst through the doors. Their eyes narrowed at the demon curled up on his throne of skulls.

 

“Severin,” Ryeowook growled, gripping his sword firmly. A low grunt came from the beast as he lifted his head, turning to face them, piercing crimson eyes glaring into the depths of their souls. The demon was the tallest creature the duo had ever seen. Two gigantic, twisted horns stuck out from his head, accompanied by a dagger-like one sitting on his snout. Razor sharp spikes dotted his back, with two muscular, log like arms at his side, the sight of the long, curled claws making Kyuhyun shudder. Dark purple markings ran across his majestic, garnet coloured body. Severin raised his lip as he towered ten metres above them, revealing yellow, pointed fangs.

 

“My, my I have to admit,” the demon’s voice was as sinister as darkness itself, “You two are terribly difficult to get rid of.” Tongue swiping his lip, Severin let out a soft yet icy cold laugh.

 

“You two really prove yourselves worthy opponents,” he hissed, “But, no matter. You two shall be dead soon.” Kyuhyun’s jaw tensed.

 

“We’re not afraid of you!” he shouted, eyes fixed on Severin’s scarlet orbs. The serpent’s pupils turned to even thinner slits.

 

“You should be,” with those last words, a whirlwind of flames burst from Severin’s jaw, flying straight for the duo. Quick on their feet, they sprinted aside, the flames just missing Ryeowook’s boot. Severin let out a roar of fury as he charged for the prince, fangs raised, jaws snapping. Ryeowook swiped at the beast’s snout, speeding away. However, his blows inflicted not even a scratch on the serpent's skin. Severin’s jaws clamped down on Ryeowook’s coat. With a violent tug, the tail of it tore straight off. The prince’s heart raced at the sight of Severin throwing the piece of cloth onto the ground. Smoke rose from the demon’s nostrils as he raised his head, ready to strike down on Ryeowook. Just then, Severin’s fangs stopped mid strike. Eyes narrowed, he turned his head around, gaze locking onto Kyuhyun stabbing his tail with his sword. Severin cackled seeing the man hitting his tail over and over again, the sword’s tip not even piercing his skin.

 

“Foolish human,” he hissed, swiping his tail at Kyuhyun’s leg, causing the man to fall to the ground, “It’s going to take more than that to hurt me.” Ryeowook dashed over, pulling Kyuhyun away just as Severin’s mighty tail missed crushing him to bits. The duo swiftly crouched behind a pillar, just out of Severin’s plane of view. The demon snarled as he slithered around the room, snout high, sniffing the air.

 

“You two can’t hide forever,” he taunted, the slits of his eyes darting back and forth, scouring the area, “No one escapes me that easily.” Kyuhyun and Ryeowook’s breath came in short gasps hearing Severin’s hissing grow nearer.

 

“We need a plan,” Ryeowook whispered to Kyuhyun. The man nodded and furrowed his eyebrows, wracking his brain for an idea. Then, it hit him. Hand cupping his mouth, Kyuhyun explained his plan to Ryeowook. The prince’s eyes lit up as he listened. Severin’s hissing was now just behind the pillar. The beast’s eyes widened at the scent of the two men.

 

“I’ve got you two now,” Severin raised his fangs. All of a sudden, Kyuhyun sprang from behind their hiding spot. Hands in the air, he waved his arms hysterically as he stuck out his tongue.

 

“Try and catch me you big slug!” Kyuhyun ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter