Epilogue

The Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Out across the forests, just due West from the great ELF kingdom, Kyuhyun toils over the lush green hills, Ryeowook following close behind. A bouquet of freshly picked flowers in his hand, the man crosses over a familiar plain, the wreckage of the Cho Tribe just a few feet away. The burnt huts lie there in the scorching sun, the blackened wood the aftermath of the flame’s arrival. Kyuhyun stares at the destruction of what once was his home, his footsteps, unknown to him, having slowed to halt. Ryeowook pads over to his lover’s side, eyes full of concern at the sight of sorrow running across Kyuhyun’s face. The man turns to the former prince, giving him a reassuring smile. Taking his hand, the two of them set off again. Together, they head into the trees, the scuffling of their footsteps echoing through the dense greenery. Finally, Kyuhyun comes to a mighty oak tree, sunlight filtering through its crown of leaves, shining down on a single tombstone at the tree’s base. Kneeling down, Kyuhyun places the flowers gently in front of his mother’s grave.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t save you all those years ago,” he lowers his gaze to the flowers, “If only I had been stronger, you’d still be alive today.” Kissing his fingers, he places them on the stone’s cold surface, a lump forming in his throat. Kyuhyun sighs, managing a smile.

 

“My promise to you has been kept,” he continues, trying his best to brighten up, “The prophecy has been fulfilled, and the land is no longer under Severin’s cruel rule.” Ryeowook kneels down next to him, Kyuhyun taking his hand.

 

“And I’ve found my one true soul-mate whom I love with all my heart,” he gazes fondly into the former prince’s eyes before turning back to the tombstone, “If you are still watching over me, I want you to know that I miss you so very much, and I hope you are proud of me.” Hands on the grassy floor, Kyuhyun dips his head, bowing to his mother’s grave. Ryeowook follows suit. All of a sudden, a rustling comes from above as the wind starts to pick up. Puzzled, the duo rise to their feet, scanning the forest. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter