The Journey

The Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The hours turned to days and the days turned to weeks. Every day, Kyuhyun would go about his usual routine: go hunting, come home, take care of Ryeowook (give him the herb) and sleep next to a drowsy prince who refused to go to sleep unless Kyuhyun was next to him. Kyuhyun never once complained about this. Instead, he found a long forgotten happiness with Ryeowook in his arms. The hatred he had once borne Ryeowook had also vanished into nothing but a memory. Like that, under Kyuhyun’s care, Ryeowook’s leg recovered quickly. Before they knew it, the day came for them to set off towards Severin’s lair. It was time for the prophecy to finally be fulfilled. The night before, Ryeowook, the intoxication having worn off, raised his head from where he lay on Kyuhyun’s chest to gaze into the man’s eyes.

“Kyuhyun, I’m a little scared,” he admitted, his face half covered by the blanket. Kyuhyun returned a warm smile as he wrapped his arms tighter around Ryeowook’s waist.

“Me too,” Kyuhyun spoke in a hushed tone, “But, as long as we fight together, we can win this. Don’t be afraid, alright? I’ll protect you.” Ryeowook nodded as he shut his eyes, pursing his lips in a smile. That was the last thing he heard before darkness enveloped him.

 

The next day, the duo set off towards Severin’s castle. Weapons at their sides, they began their perilous journey to save the land. They trudged across fields, weaved through forests and toiled up vast hills. By the time the sun was high above their heads, the two of them were drenched in sweat.

“Are…we…almost…there yet?” Ryeowook panted. Kyuhyun, through sharp breaths, raised his hand over his eyes and gazed into the distance.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Kyuhyun groaned at the sight of the tip of Severin’s dark castle peeping out from behind faraway mountains. Then, below the hill they stood high upon, he spotted an azure blue lake sparkling in the bright sunlight, forests encircling it. Kyuhyun wiped his sweat away with the back of his hand.

“Let’s take a break there for awhile,” he suggested, pointing to the lake. With that, they made their way down the hill. Ryeowook let out a long sigh of relief as he plopped down on the soft grass, massaging his aching feet. He cupped his hands in the shimmery waters of the lake, bringing it to his lips. His tense shoulders relaxed at the cool water running down his throat. Kyuhyun sat next to him, grabbing a nearby stone.

“Give me your sword,” he said as he took out his own, “I’ll help you sharpen it.” Ryeowook handed his weapon over to him and stood up, surveying the area. Birdsong came from the dense forest behind them. Leaves rustled in the light afternoon breeze, as if calling him forward into the mysterious gloom. Ryeowook turned, only to face a smirking Kyuhyun.

“Go ahead,” Kyuhyun said as if having read Ryeowook’s mind, “I’ll be right here.” Ryeowook, grinning, turned and bounded off into the forest just as Kyuhyun struck his blade’s edge with the stone.

 

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Kyuhyun had finished with the swords. He rubbed his worn hands together. Just as he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter