Prologue

The Necklace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the wind howls mercilessly through the valley, a queen from a faraway kingdom mounts her white mare and rides out through the castle gates, into the darkness beyond. In her arms is a young child, her son, fast asleep as the horse gallops on. With one hand on the reigns, the queen rides at the speed of light through the dark forest, where shadows do loom and creatures of the night reign. As a cave slowly comes into view in the distance, the queen, with her cape flying with the wind, slows the mare to a canter. At the entrance is a single lamp, its rays illuminating the cave to reveal a wooden door, its hazel colour fading to a pale brown. The queen dismounts from her steed and knocks three times on the door, no more, no less.

“Come in,” a voice rasps from behind the door as it magically creaks open. Gingerly, the queen steps in. The cave is dimly lit, with many dust coated books and potions lining shelves. A black cauldron, sitting aloft a circle of flames, bubbles in the dim light, dark, purplish liquid flowing down its sides. The queen jumps slightly at the thudding now echoing across the room. An old man emerges from the gloom, a long wooden staff in hand with charms dangling from his neck. He his long white beard as he limps over to the queen.

“Yunho,” the queen addresses the old wizard, gazing into his sand-blind eyes, “You have called for me?” Yunho nods slowly. Placing his hand on the young prince’s head, he closes his eyes. After a moment of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter