Kids In The Kitchen

Rules Within The 'Super Dorm' [Hiatus]

 

003. Rule #2: Don’t tell Ryeowook you can make pancakes, unless you want to spend the rest of eternity in the kitchen.

(A/N hehe if you can listen to preppy songs while youre reading , listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7eNyNDcMWA Cooking? Cooking!)

I slowly opened an eye and looked at the darkness around me.

 

How come this doesn’t feel like my room?

The mattresses are so much softer…so much bouncier, the blankets are so much thicker…even the air smells like it’s blended with steak and…men?

My eyes finally adjusted to the dark and I swung a leg over the bed and slowly made my way to the door.

Where am I? I looked at my iPhone, waiting for me on the dresser beside the bed. Wait, I don’t have a dresser. What?

4:58 A. M, my phone flashed at me.

Why am I up so early?

 

As I stumbled around the house, my hand fumbled around the wall and I finally hit the light switch.

 

Gold awards. Gold trophies. Gold plaques. It’s like I’m in the Hall Of Fame or something.

I stepped up to one of them and attempted to read unfamiliar langua---wait, it’s Korean.

 

Best New Group- 21st Golden Disk Awards

Best New Group- 16th Seoul Music Awards

Artist of the Year, Netizen Popularity, Mobile Popularity- Mnet KM Music Festival

Popularity Award- 25th Golden Disk Awards

 

Oh yeah, this is oppa’s dorm.

Woah, oppa’s band must be really popular here in Korea. I wonder what it’s called.

My eyes kept scanning all the gold embroidered characters in Hangul, and finally spelled it out.

S-you pe- Joo- Nee- Eoh.

“S-super Junior?” I whispered to myself, my hands tracing over the characters, not believing it.

 

I sidestepped to another award and read the same thing. My head was starting to get dizzy.

Okay, so I’m in Seoul, in my brother’s house, and he’s part of this idol group that’s apparently won a lotof awards.

But Super Junior? Them?

So that explains why I’m up so early- time differences. And it also explains why last night they were laughing when I said that Siwon looked like the Siwon from Super Junior.

 

I kept looking around, secretly ooh-ing and aah-ing over every award. There really is a lot, all of them either hanging or in a glass case.

 

A door opened and I jumped back from their Triple Crown trophy.

Upon seeing whoever walked out from their room, I blushed and covered my eyes.

“WAH! I-I’m sorry!” I whisper-shouted.

He rubbed his eyes then smiled widely.

“Ah, Jae Mi! Why are you up so early?”

Kay, so he doesn’t care that I’m here having a conversation with him, at 5 in the morning, and that he’s missing half of his sleeping attire.

Maybe men are just really laidback on their lack of clothing. NOT THAT YOU MIND! My mind shouted.

Oh, shut up, mind.

 

“Ah, good morning uh…?”

“Ryeowook. Kim Ryeowook.” He chuckled and oh my, he is one y shirtless guy. Although you can’t tell by his innocent face.

“Good morning Ryeowook-sshi!”

“Aniyo, you’re my sister. Call me oppa.” He put an arm around me.

 

“Neh, Ryeowook oppa. Why are you up so early?” I asked him. He has this friendly vibe about him, so I didn’t feel as awkward.

 

“Same goes for you, you need your sleep. I do morning calls and breakfast, so this is my normal wake-up time.” He laughed and pulled me towards the kitchen.

“I have jet lag, so I guess I’ll be joining you in the kitchen for the next few days.”

If this is what jet lag includes, I wouldn’t mind having it for the rest of my life.

OH, SHUT THE HELL UP BRAIN, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!

I smacked the side of my head to think straight again.

 

When I looked back at Ryeowook, he had already tied an apron around his waist, and he smiled widely at me.

“So, what do you want for breakfast?”

“Hmm…waffles? With whipped cream on top?” my stomach grumbled its agreement.

 

“Waffles? But…I don’t think we have it around. I’ll make sure to buy some when I go shopping…”

When he saw my disappointed face, he quickly added, “We have some pancake powder around here, although I never really learned how to make them.”

 

“Pancakes? Awesome, I’m a beast at making pancakes!” I grinned.

Back when I lived by myself a few days ago, I lived on pancakes, waffles, cereal and Pop-Tarts each and every morning. I made them myself and slowly got better, and my friends sometimes pay me to make pancakes for them.

 

“WAH, YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE PANCAKES?! DAEBAK!” he whispered excitedly and wrapped me in an enthusiastic hug.

If he goes around doing this to other girls in the morning, half of the female population in Korea will be dead before breakfast is ready.

 

“Neh, I got better at making them as I live alone. You learn the techniques as time goes on, and I do lots of experiments with syrup and fruits…”

I don’t know why I shared that weird piece of information with him, but he seems like the kitchen type.

 

He clapped his hands joyfully. “Awesome! So can you make pancakes this morning? I really wanna learn!”

 

I thought for a while.

I normally have to eat 4 pancakes before I’m full. It takes me 30 minutes to make everything, so if everybody eats four pancakes…

 

My epic built-in calculator in my Asian brain tells me that…

It equals a whole load of pancake batter and time.

But his eyes…his desperate begging puppy eyes…I’m always the one doing aegyo, I’m not immune to it! Especially not aegyo done by a Korean celebrity with a six pack wearing a hot pink apron.

 

“I…arasso, I’ll make pancakes this morning.”

I opened a few cabinets and finally fumbled around before finding the one containing aprons.

I slowly pulled each one out and laid them on the table. Finally I stepped back to examine them, and I couldn’t help but burst laughing.

 

“Uh, Ryeowook oppa? Why are they all…you know…girly and pink?”

Ryeowook blushed, and then he shook his head to indicate that it wasn’t his idea.

“It’s a long story. But I’ll just clarify one thing; it wasn’t me that chose them!”

 

I laughed. “I’ll believe you if you tell me who.”

That’s just the beginning of my evil maknae streak.

 

Ryeowook stared at me, shocked and perplexed. I could almost see his brain debating whether or not to tell me.

“Arasso~! You really have to believe me though!”

“Alright.” I nodded.

 

He leaned over, thought hesitantly, and then leaned closer.

 

“Sungmin hyung.”

 

“I would’ve guessed, really.” I smiled widely.

He jumped back.

“Really? Are you a fan?”

 

I was going to tell him the more detailed version of my story, but decided against it.

“Of whom?”

He looked at me awkwardly, then shrugged it off.

“Nothing, I was just thinking how only ELF’s can know that Sungmin is in charge of the girly stuff. Thankfully, not all the time.” He sighed happily and took out a huge bowl.

“Oh, I see. Wait, what exactly is an elf? Like…Dobby from Harry Potter?”

I’ve heard the word ELF so many times that it seems like a common vocabulary for me, but I still don’t understand why they would call fans elves. Wouldn’t that insult them?

Ryeowook laughed and poured some batter and flour together. I took them and started mixing in butter, whilst looking at him for an answer.

“If I tell you in English, you won’t laugh right? Because my accent is horrible!” he exclaimed and threw in some strawberries.

 

“Neh, I promise I won’t!” I plastered a hand over my mouth.

“ELF...” he cleared his throat professionally.

I laughed.

“ANIYO! You said you won’t laugh!” he pouted.

I quickly closed my mouth and pretended to zip it together.

 

“Eh-vah-lah-sting Feh-lend!”he pronounced each syllable carefully.

Oh my gosh, don’t laugh, don’t laugh…

As funny and cute as it was, I sort of understood how it feels to have a second language.

When I get really nervous, my Korean accent starts seeping out from everywhere and sometimes I get teased for it. I’ve tried really hard to get my English correct and free of accents, but now my Korean could be worse than that of a foreigner’s.

 

“Bwoh? You’re actually not laughing?!” he looked at me, perplexed and shocked.

“Yeah, it was actually pretty good!” I lied and looked down at the batter than only needs some eggs.

 

As we each dumped three eggs in, I scanned his focused eyes.

They were such a warm color of gingerbread brown, and the gold flints that sparkle when he gets excited…

 

“Jae Mi-ah? Do I have something on my face?” he asked and his brows knitted together slightly as he tried to locate the nonexistent dirt marks on his face.

Yeah, a pair of beautiful eyes,my brain smirked. AIISH!

 

We each took turns beating the batter and at last, I looked at the yellow-golden substance and dipped my pinkie finger in.

I slowly dragged it out and allowed the batter to drip down before finally trying it out.

 

Wow, in all my years of making pancakes, this batter is by far the most satisfying.

I smiled widely at Ryeowook and nodded for him to go ahead and try it.

Suspiciously, he repeated my actions and his eyes immediately lit up.

 

“Wow! This is daebak!” he looked up and delightfully clapped his hands. I laughed at his childish reaction. When I looked up at him, I saw a little bit of batter on the side of his lips.

“Ryeowook-sshi?” I said, interrupting our laughing fest.

“Oppa.”

“Ryeowook oppa, you have batter over here.” I pointed to my own lips.

He his lips, repeatedly trying to attack the strayed batter.

 

“Did I get it?”

“Aniyo, move your tongue to the right.”

 

He stuck his tongue out of his mouth and continued patrolling the sides of his mouth. “Ehhhhh~” he grumbled as the tip of his tongue tried to contact the batter.

 

Oppa is such a kid,I thought as I smiled to myself. At last he took a napkin and went to search for the mirror.

The small piece of butter I put in the pan started sizzling and I slid it in a full perfect circle around the pan before slowly pouring in the batter.

I made sure that the pancake was not too big but not too small later. Staring desperately at the already half-drained bowl, I sighed and felt sympathy for whoever had to cook for these food consuming black holes before.

I let the pancake sit as I walked back to the living room, staring at the awards yet again.

 

Is this the dream that umma said oppa had? How did he reach his dream? It must’ve took a long time, yet he never gave up…why do I have this feeling in my chest? Pride?

 

Then a familiar smell entered my nose.

“Omo, the pancakes!”

I jumped over the sofa and landed safely in the kitchen. Taking out a spatula, I flicked my wrist with experience and the pancake flipped over, revealing a smooth shade of golden brown. The smell wafted into my nose and I felt my stomach grumble. Nevertheless, this is my chance to get on their good side, so I should make these pancakes as perfect as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally getting bored after the 31st pancake, I took my laptop out and set it on the kitchen table while waiting for the 32nd pancake to turn desirable.

I don't even know where Ryeowook went, but I hope he got some more sleep because that was definitely too early in the morning. I went straight to Google and typed in Super Junior.

 

Pictures, videos, fan-accounts, everything of every type popped out.

Normally I wouldn’t trust Wikipedia but today I took a chance. Opening the first link, which is the result of Super Junior on Wikipedia, I scanned the page.

 

Achievements, Pre-Debut, blah, blah, blah…MEMBERS!

 

Then I stared at my laptop blankly.

The computer showed 15 names, 2 of which are listed only under Sub-Groups and 3 of which are currently…away.

 

Curiosity killed the cat.

I picked up my phone and dialled Jessilyn for some information. If I were to live with these guys for the next who knows how long, I might as well learn as much as possible.

And who else more reliable to turn to than Super Junior’s very own stalker halfway around the world?

 

“Hello~?” she answered on first ring.

“Jessilyn! Guess who?!”

“MY SNEAKY LITTLE FRIEND! How are you, Jamie? How’s Seoul? Is it prettier than what they show on Google Images? Are the sidewalk snacks good? How’s the food? Meet any celebrities? Oh, how’s your brother? Is he hot?!”

 

Jessilyn’s verbal skills are those of a machine gun.

 

“Yeah, everything is great! Seoul is so amazing, I swear! Once I don’t get lost, you should come visit and I’ll be your guide. I haven’t tried anything yet though, because I just arrived last night. Oh, I have some questions!”

I finally remembered the priority of my phone call

“Shoot away.”

 

“Who likes pink in Super Junior?”

“Minnie!”

Haha, Minnie? Cute.

“Who’s the most arrogant when you first meet them?”

“Chullie!” I expected that.

“Who does the morning calls?”

“Wookie!”

OH MY QUACKING DUCKS, GIRLS ARE THE SMARTEST WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR IDOLS.

 

“Jamie, why are you asking me Super Junior questions all of a sudden? Are you a fan?” I could almost see her proud smirk.

“Psh! No! I’m just wondering. Last question, who’s Kangin, Hangeng, and Kibum?”

The million dollar question.

 

“Kangin is a member of Super Junior that is currently serving his duty in the military (A/N our raccoon Kangin is coming back in 5 months!!). Hangeng is the Chinese member of Super Junior that had a lawsuit against SM and now he’s doing solo in China. And Kibum is absent from group promotions because he is focusing on dramas.”

 

Who needs Wikipedia when you’ve got a friend like this?

 

Just then I heard a door opening and I frantically whispered into the mouthpiece.

“Thanks Jess! I need to go, I’ll promise to call again!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Jae Mi, you shouldn’t have! Now I feel guilty!” Ryeowook frowned at the plates of pancakes I’d set up on the dining table.

“I thought you only had to make your own and I could make the rest of the members’, but you went and made triple than what’s needed! You’re so...aigoo, I can’t be mad at you. You’re too cute. And you’re my baby sister.” he sighed and hugged me.

 

Then he looked up after an awkward minute in silence and smiled. “Well, now your position of vice-morning caller is confiscated because you’ve worked too much. Go take a shower or something!”

 

I pouted. And fake cried. And I begged and I pleaded and finally he caved in.

As he turned around the corner to change, Kyuhyun smirked at me from behind the shadows.

 

“Hey, you’re pretty good at aegyo. Can you teach me?”

“You? Wanna learn aegyo? You don’t seem the type,” I raised an eyebrow.

“Please? I really wanna learn so I can play Starcraft longer at night.” He tried doing puppy eyes but failed.

 

I laughed.

“You just have to open your eyes really wide, erase everything bad on your mind, and pretend you’re an angel.”

“That sounds like meditating!” he complained.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah but it makes you focus, and also puff your cheeks, then form your lips like this…” I arched my lips a bit and showed him.

He blinked with surprise.

 

“Awesome! You’re awesome!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even after all the events it was still only six. Kyuhyun sat at the table with his gaming laptop, his fingers storming across the keyboard and his eyes not moving an inch.

 

“Kyuhyun, stop playing that game, it’s gonna screw you up one day!” Leeteuk walked in and laughed at the sight of Kyuhyun and his game.

“But hyung! It’s so fun. You should try it.” He said without blinking and kept murmuring inaudible spells under his breath.

“Cho Kyuhyun, stop the game and pay some attention to Jae Mi.” Leeteuk smiled widely at me. I smiled back.

 

At least most of them are friendly.

At least Heechul is still asleep.

 

“Hyuuunng!” he whined and pouted.

Leeteuk froze, shocked.

“Pwease? I LOVE you!” he made a big heart with his arms.

“Wow, this kid. Are you on wrong medications?” Leeteuk asked.

 

Kyuhyun kept pouting and his eyes were starting to get watery.

“Please hyung? I just wanna pass this. Please?”

Evil maknae? More like angel maknae.

 

He was so convincing that Leeteuk sighed, grabbed a pancake, and finally nodded.

 

He jumped in the air when he ate my pancake and his eyes immediately lit up.

“Wow! Whoever taught Kyuhyun aegyo should get a certificate! And so should whomever made this pancake!”

 

Kyuhyun leaned over.

“Thanks for that ‘erasing evil thoughts’ trick! I only had to think that Leeteuk hyung was in a duck costume showered with water instead of glue and everything got so much easier!"

 

~~~

Hehe, my mom made pancakes so i got really hungry while writing. please tell me if you want more things to liven it up! thank you for subscribing, LinkinOwl, peodbear, foreverrprom15e, kpopluver3, and XPineX! 

thank you again! gamsamnida&& saranghae (: