Nine

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

What Yunho meant by his place was a penthouse in luxurious upper side of the city. The building soared high in the sky, I was sure I could touch the cloud if I stood up in the rooftop. I knew that he was a successful banker, he did pay off dad’s hospital bill, but how could he possibly afford to live in a place like this was beyond me. In that moment, I admitted that there were so many things I didn’t know about him, his family and his life. Probably he intended that way.

He didn’t say anything when he turned off the engine. He didn’t say anything when we were in the elevator on the way to his place. He also didn’t say anything as he led me inside his place, passing the foyer to the living room, or should I said a great hall? The place was extraordinarily magnificent. You could see the whole city from this spot and that was certainly enough to make you felt like a king.

“Drink?” He asked as he dropped his briefcase on the longue chair nearby the glass wall,

My suddenly parched throat couldn’t refuse. “Yes, please.”

Casually, he walked to the build-in mini bar set on the corner of the great hall. I didn’t notice that before. Upon seeing rows of bottles filled with alcoholic beverage, my mind screamed with alert. I should steel clear of alcohol for my own sake.

“Uhm . . . do you have juice or maybe coffee?”

Yunho’s step halted before he could reach his destination. He turned to me and then nodded before turning away in the opposite direction which I presumed he was heading to the kitchen. I plopped myself down on one of the chair. There was no use to wander around his place pretending that I used to know this man, that he had kissed me like a madman in his office. He was a stranger.

Few minutes later, he appeared with cups on both hands. I straightened my spine. He took the chair across from me before handing me the cup of coffee over the small glass table. I didn’t know what it was, his unreadable face, the tension itself, or my own nervousness, made me want to bawl my eyes out. It made me wonder since when words had become so difficult for us. For a fleeting moment, I thought that this was a bad idea.

“I don’t know where to start.”

I looked up from the cup of coffee in my hands. He looked so lost that I pitied him. “Start with why you avoided me before my graduation day.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter