Four

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I couldn’t make myself to focus in class when the stranger constantly occupying my thoughts. Shame on me. I should have been thinking about dad and Changmin, my family, not him. And I noticed that somehow the hours felt longer than usual. I just couldn’t wait to get to the hospital as soon as possible. So when the bell rang, I sprinted out of the building as fast as my feet could carry me.

And look what I found out, the stranger was waiting for me. He leaned against the truck he used to drive me to school this morning.  I couldn’t hide my disbelief as I walked in his direction. It took only once glance at him to appreciate how good looking he was. His long sleeved t-shirt had been replaced with maroon hoodie even when he was still wearing the same pair of jeans.

“What are you doing here?” He straightened to his full height and instantly I felt at disadvantage. I stared up at him warily.

“I figured you might need a ride.” And then he looked around. “Or maybe you might not?”

Alright. I needed to get him out of here as soon as possible. Girls would start asking about his identity and I didn’t feel like sharing him – stranger or not – to anyone. You knew how cruel high school girls could be it wasn’t even funny.

“I do really need a ride. Thank you.” I rushed to the other side of the truck. “Can we leave now?”

Watching me looking so eager, he chuckled. “Anytime you ready.”

I climbed inside the truck. “I am.”

“Well, that was easy.” I heard him muttered under his breath.

I chose to ignore his jab. “How’s dad?” I asked when he was finally seated inside. “Any progress?”

His head shook ruefully. “Nah. Your dad’s been sleeping like a baby. Changmin never left his side.” Then he turned his head to me once we were on the road. “Do you mind if we stop at your apartment first? There’s something I have to pick. Changmin’s order.”

“Sure.” In that moment, I remembered that he hadn’t told me his name yet. “Anyway, I still don’t know your name. Should I give you a nickname?”

He coughed. “What? No way.”

“So tell me then Mr. Stranger.” I pursued. 

“Mr. Stranger?” He looked at me with horror. “Is that what you’ve been calling me in your head?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter