Sometimes Love Is Not Enough, But...

Timeless

It wasn’t before the break of dawn falling between them, shy sunrays peeking through the covered windows, when Jessica began talking, her soft voice ringing in the dimly lit room. She asked about the meaning of love, something Tiffany hadn’t thought much of because it was such a typical question.

Tiffany shrugs as they lie on the wooden floor, and they had at least gotten the decency to get half dressed. “I’d tell you if I had an opinion about it,” the dark-haired woman replied, her fingers fiddling on the hems of her hoodie.

From the corner of her eye she sees Jessica gazing at her own feet for some reason, her bare legs up in the air as if she was going to perform an impromptu dance. Or maybe it looked like Tiffany when she used to paint her toenails and wait for them to dry. Tiffany followed Jessica’s vision, down her town legs, and then up again to the ceiling. “You’re very informative,” Jessica shared after a moment, sarcasm evident in her voice like always.

Tiffany chuckled a bit then, chewing the bottom of her lip, her mind a bit scattered. “I haven’t always had all the answers, Princess,” she retorted then, watching the wooden decorations grace the ceiling. “But I know a thing or two; sometimes love is not enough, and we are only born to do one thing.”

She could hear Jessica let out a soft hum, as if she was listening, and Tiffany stopped playing around with her sweater. It was a long time since she once spoke to someone other than the band about things deeper than the shallow industry she worked in. Honestly, it almost drained her, because she had to actually think instead of act, and she hadn’t felt so exposed in a long time.

Jessica didn’t seem to end the conversation there however, and the other woman wasn’t sure if she appreciated it or not, because she wasn’t sure of what she even thought about Jessica even after all these years. “I thought I loved once,” the pale woman had said, awakening Tiffany’s interest a bit.

The blonde sat up, adjusting her top and crossing her thin legs. For a moment Tiffany wondered if she should’ve mirrored the action, but she didn’t feel like getting up just yet, but Jessica didn’t speak for a while. “And?” Tiffany wondered if she’d even continue.

“He was chasing paper and caught up in the game; that was the last I heard,” Jessica sounded a bit bitter, and her shoulders were a bit slumped, the strap of her top falling off to reveal some sort of black scribble on her pale skin. Tiffany had no idea about what it said, because she covered it up before getting up to walk towards the window covered by wooden shutters. Now, as Tiffany actually sat up, she saw Jessica getting dressed, putting on some dark jeans.

Then the blonde turned around to face her, her eyes twinkling with a sudden mystery, and a smile that seemed to hide all the secrets of the world. One minute she seemed to be someone else, and then she turned into the same old snarky Jessica. “It is morning,” she shared then with the light behind her. “And I’m getting breakfast, so either you join or you go, Rock Star.”

The only thing Tiffany could do was roll her eyes, before getting up to get dressed herself, wondering where her cigarettes were. She seemed to care more about them than the time, but it was still early in the morning, and they probably wouldn’t notice her absence before another hour or so. “Lead the way then,” was the only thing Tiffany said, despite the fact that she probably should’ve hurried up, but she had done worse.

The two of them end up in a small café not too far away from the hotel, one with few customers and generally few people around. In between sips of cheap coffee and greasy food, Tiffany feels that her mind still wasn’t at ease, although she didn’t know why. There was really no one around, and even if they did know it was her, they didn’t seem to care.

“How’s life in the band?” Jessica had asked after a while, as if they were old friends again, and Tiffany wondered if she wanted to laugh or not. She didn’t though, and took another sip of her beverage before replying with a simple good.

A clock was ticking above them, ever so faintly, and as another customer opened the door a breeze entered the café. With it came the scent of autumn and rain, and with enough force to make Jessica’s hair sway ever so lightly, and for a moment Tiffany almost thought the wind sang something.

She was a always a bit crazy in the morning, but that image was a bit out of the ordinary; especially that hum that neither escaped Jessica’s or her own lips. However, Jessica herself didn’t seem to notice or make a single reaction to it, as if she didn’t hear it, and maybe it was all in Tiffany’s head.

It took a bit more small talk, and probably ten minutes, before Jessica let out a soft smile. “I was in Bel Air before I came here,” she had shared then, and then she revealed a fancy and sparkly bracelet on her wrist. She must’ve taken it on before they left. “Diamonds, twelve thousand dollars.”

Tiffany gazed at the expensive jewelry on her, and she wondered how Jessica could even afford stuff like that. “Are you a professional hooker?” Tiffany actually meant that to be a joke, but even if Jessica seemed to laugh, there was something that didn’t quite find it that funny.

Jessica only shrugged however. “No, but I can’t say I haven’t purposely fooled around with guys for a favor or two,” she said coolly, both of her petite hands now holding onto her cup of coffee. Tiffany felt then that she really, really didn’t understand the other woman sometimes, and wondered if she ever would.

“I can’t say I quite get you,” Tiffany voiced out her thoughts then, and Jessica only shrugged. She didn’t seem too fazed about anything that moment, placing the tacky red and white cup down, before she swallowed the coffee.

The blonde then smiled after seemingly being in thought for a moment. “No one does,” she began simply. “Not even I understand myself sometimes,” she ended it there, and as she looked up at the clock, she seemed done with the subject. “You should get going,” she voiced out then, and Tiffany only nodded because it was true. For a moment, she almost wondered why no paparazzi’s had followed them, but then again she wasn’t even doing anything interesting.

So they got up, walked out the door of the café with the bell ringing above them, the rain falling down like buckets as they stood beneath the small roof of the building. “This is goodbye I guess?” Tiffany had asked, already knowing what was going to happen, but she wasn’t sure if this was the last time or not.

“Third time’s the charm,” Jessica replied, but instead of simply walking away like she always did, she grabbed Tiffany’s wrist instead. There was a pen in her hand, one Tiffany hadn’t noticed even was there, and she scribbled down something.

When she was finished, Tiffany looked down to see a set of numbers on top of her skin. “You better feel lucky because I don’t do this, but there’s something about your pretty face,” Jessica then straightened up her posture before placing the pen in her pocket. There was a soft smirk on her face, and even if Tiffany wanted to punch her for being so damn greasy she also really, really wanted to kiss her at the same time.

But before she even could, Jessica had taken off her jacket to use it as a shield for the falling rain, only smiling a bit before disappearing in the foggy rain. Tiffany could only chuckle, thinking to herself that she didn’t really have to know what she felt, because it was still fun in a way. The chase, the coincidence; everything really.

Her eyes gazed around the gray city that night, an hour after their show and she was back in her room. It was very, very late and she was tired to death, ready to collapse into sleep. But she couldn’t, her eyes wouldn’t close and she only sighed.

She had gotten up her phone; looking at the number she had saved under the nickname Princess, wondering for a while. Calling her would seem a bit odd, it hadn’t even gone twenty four hours since they last saw each other, but Tiffany clicked the call button and waited. The beeps passed by, and then she heard soft breathing before a “hello” echoed through the line. Tiffany only lightly sighed then, looking up at the dark ceiling.

“I can’t sleep,” Tiffany informed, hearing some shuffling through the other line. Jessica seemed to take her time in replying, but she did after a while, asking about why. Tiffany had no reason for why, she was tired, but she couldn’t fall asleep.

Jessica hummed then. “Take a pill or two, that should work,” she replied and Tiffany rolled her eyes by that. She expected that kind of answer, for some reason, as she wiggled her toes. Her fingers tapped a small beat on her stomach, and there was a weirdly comfortable silence between them, and it eased Tiffany a bit.

But as Tiffany started to hum to a melody she hadn’t thought of in a long time, she wondered about something, about a song that she had begun on but never continued. “I’ve been working on this song, but I can’t get myself to write a first verse.”

A moment passed before Jessica replied. “Sing it then,” she more like commanded than asked, brash as Tiffany thought her to be. The dark haired woman coughed a bit, looking at the city lights going through the room, as her lips parted.

Hot summer nights, Mid – July, when you and I were forever wild,” was the lyrics she had thought of but never written, never continued, and further on she just hummed the melody that ran through her mind. "Crazy days, city lights, the way you played with me like a child," It was without her guitar, and it was a bit odd singing it without it, but she didn’t mind. Singing eased her for the most part.

She almost stopped when Jessica’s soft yet soothing voice suddenly began singing on top of hers, a different way of singing it, yet it blended perfectly in a way that sounded a bit too unreal. It didn’t make sense, but in some way it did, and she only let out a soft smile although she had no idea what it meant.

“Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful?”