008

Invisible

"You're not as invisible as you think."

Sooyeon couldn't stop thinking about Kai's words, and for days she silently observed her new group of friends, wondering if Kai was telling the truth when he told her that he wasn't the only one who had noticed her all along. She remembered the first time they met and recalled Kyungsoo asking her if she was in his Maths class and the reaction Kai gave her when he had lifted his head, and suddenly...

"They do know me," she whispered to herself in surprise.

She figured that it was also the explanation on the acknowledging looks the boys gave her when they first met her, and she was suddenly sure that when they asked for her name, they had actually knew from the very start. The revelation surprised her so much that she unknowingly distanced herself from the group, going back to her old habit of running off to hide in the library at lunch and purposely burying herself in her books whenever they were in the same classes.

By the end of the week, it was obvious - far, far too obvious for the others on what she's doing that they sent Minji to the library to talk to her during lunch, and Sooyeon smiled guiltily at the disappointed look her best friend gave her.

"What are you doing, Soo?" Minji sighed, taking a seat next to her on the carpetted floor, their backs against the cool white wall of the library. Sooyeon had chosen to seclude herself from the few students who happened to using the library during lunch and went to sit cross-legged at the most secluded spot in the library by the fictional books section.

Sooyeon knew what Minji meant, and she looked away while biting her bottom lip, not knowing what to say to her best friend. Minji sighed again and closed her eyes. "I know Kai told you that you weren't invisible to them from the start," she told the girl and opened her eyes to look at her. "But I don't understand why it bothers you so much."

Sooyeon sighed. "You won't understand, Min," she said in a quiet voice. "You're the opposite of me. You're open-minded, friendly to everyone and you don't find it difficult to make friends. You're used to being under the spotlight while I prefer staying in the back, away from everybody."

"But Sooyeon, you're doing so well. The guys like having your around," Minji told her.

"Yeah?" she smiled. "I like having them around, too."

"Then why are you so scared? Why does the fact that the boys noticed you from before scares you so much?"

"Because--" Sooyeon was suddenly lost for words. She doesn't know why she's so scared of the fact that she wasn't as invisible as she thought she was. Probably it was because she was too used to being treated like one, and the thought there's someone out there - much less a group of six boys - had actually noticed her when she was supposed to be like a ghost to the world. In the end, she sighed and shook her head. "I don't know why I'm scared."

"Well, I think you're just overwhelmed," Minji told her. "You're not used to the idea of having friends aside from me, and it scares you. But hey, at least you know that they're sincere on wanting to be friends with you."

Sooyeon smiled at the thought. Her mind whirled back to the fun times she's experience with the boys, and then remembered where she was when the boys are in the cafeteria. Turning to Minji, she grabbed her hand and smiled. "Come on, let's go eat lunch. I'm hungry."

 

 

Seven wide grins greeted her when she arrived at their lunch table, and she blushed at the delighted looks they threw her. Jihyun, Suho's girlfriend, had been joining their table for lunch recently, and the girl had grown fond of Sooyeon who was always so shy and quiet. She patted the empty seat beside her, which happened to be on the opposite of Kai's, while Minji went to seat beside Chanyeol.

"Are you hungry?" Jihyun asked Sooyeon, and the latter nodded shyly. Grinning, she took a container out of her bag and placed it right in front of the other. "Good, because I made you some sandwiches. Everyone had their share, and this is yours. I hope you like ham."

Sooyeon masked her surprise with a grateful smile and nodded. "Thanks, Jihyun."

"Eat up, Sooyeon. Lunch is almost over," Baekhyun told her with a gentle smile before turning to Kai. "Why don't you go get her something to drink, Kai?"

"I-It's fine, y-you don't have to--"

"It's fine, Sooyeon." Kai told her as he got up. "I'll be right back."

She watched as Kai hurried to the counter to buy her drink, only remembering to eat when Kyungsoo reminded her about the time. She smiled the best she could to them and bit onto her sandwich.

"To be honest, we were kind of worried that you'd isolate yourself from us," Sehun suddenly said around a mouthful of his apple. Kyungsoo threw him a distaste look at which he promptly ignored. "Kai was freaking out because he thought it was his fault."

Sooyeon frowned at this. "Why would he think that?"

"Well, you did distanced yourself from us throughout the week ever since Kai told you the truth." Chanyeol pointed out before placing a random kiss on Minji's cheek. The girl glared at him while she ate her lunch, and rolled her eyes when her boyfriend winked at her, although she couldn't hide the obvious tint on her cheeks.

"I'm sorry for that," Sooyeon quietly apologized, feeling guilty once more.

Suho smiled from beside Jihyun. "It's fine. We can understand why you did that. It must've been overwhelming for you," he sympatized, sincerity filled in his eyes.

Kai returned then and placed a bottle of mango juice on the table right beside the container before taking a seat. Their eyes meet then and he smiled apologetically at her, and Sooyeon was sure she showed him the same expression which caused him to smile wider, although this time it was a kind smile.

"Do we still scare you, Sooyeon?" Baekhyun asked curiously, slightly leaning forward to peak over Suho since he was sitting at the end of the table.

The girl shook her head at this after a moment of hesitation.

"Really?" Sehun asked, delighted.

She blushed and nodded. "I-I'm still trying to get myself used to having other people around me, but I like having you guys around. It's... fun."

Kai smiled gladly at this. "Then believe me when I say we'll be sticking around for a long time," he told her, chuckling when Sooyeon smiled pleasantly at his words.

Sehun snorted. "Of course we would. You of all people would like that, wouldn't you, Kai?" he teased, nudging the boy on his side.

Kai blushed when everyone gave him knowing looks, smiles and even smirks, while Sooyeon slightly frowned in confusion to everyone's reaction. "What do you mean, Sehun?" she asked.

Suho chuckled when Kai turned a shade darker. "Ignore them, Sooyeon. Just eat your food."

Again, Sehun snorted. "Wow, now even Suho is acting all motherly with Sooyeon," he said. "Definitely an approval, right Kai?" he wiggled his eyebrows at his best friend, earning himself a scowl.

Kyungsoo sighed. "Sehun?"

"Yeah?"

"Shut up."

 


Updates are slower this time because I'm sick, but I want to leave an update for you guys as much as I could before this week ends. I hope you guys liked this. I wrote this 30mins ago, and it's quite random if you ask me. I don't even know if it makes sense.

By the way, did you guys watched Taeyeon's solo debut mv? My god, it was so beautiful and the song is just amazing! I love the song 'I' and also 'U R' so much! I downloaded the whole album the moment it came out, and even the music video so I could watch it over and over again. It's just so beautiful! In case you didn't know, Taeyeon is my bias in SNSD and I'd like to think that she's my inner goddess lmao.

You guys can watch her mv here and download her album here.

I'm thankful for all your comments, subscriptions and upvotes. Do let me hear more from you, kay? I'll see you when I can. Much love from me, guys