006

Invisible

"Dude, talk to her."

Sehun has been pestering Kai throughout their meals, seeing how the latter seemed to have his tongue tied now that Sooyeon was seating right beside him. The fair skinned boy felt a secondhand embarrassment at the sight and continued to nudge the boy on his side. At one point, Sehun nudged him too hard with his elbow and accidentally hit his rib, earning a surprised 'oof!' and a pained hiss from his friend.

"Are you alright?" Kai stopped glaring at Sehun in order to turn to his other side, surprised that Sooyeon was talking to him. He spluttered for a second before nodding his head.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he replied.

"Oh, okay."

The silence between them resumed, making it awkward for the two of them. Sehun facepalmed himself to the side, earning amused looks from Suho and Kyungsoo while Baekhyun and Chanyeol tried hard not to burst into laughter. Minji looked around the table in curiousity before glancing at her boyfriend who simply smiled at her.

Minji narrowed her eyes at this.

"Hey, Sooyeon? Have you found a partner for the literature assignment announced last Wednesday?" Kyungsoo suddenly asked, making both Kai and Sooyeon to look up at him. Kai raised a suspicious brow at his friend while Sooyeon blankly stared at him until his words hit her.

"Oh no..." she groaned. "I totally forgot about that. How could I even?"

Suho chuckled. "Relax, Sooyeon. It's due in two weeks, so you still have time," he assured her. Eyeing Kyungsoo from the corner of his eyes, he added, "I'm partnering with Jihyun for this one."

"That's a given," Sehun snorted. "I'm going with Kyungsoo."

Kai's eyes widened at this. Kyungsoo smiled softly to himself and nodded to Sehun. "Alright. But I expect you to work together with me and not just sit around like a boss," he warned the other.

"That seems like an idea," Sehun mused, but another glare from Kyungsoo immediately shuts him up.

"But--"

"Wait, Kai's in the same class right?" Chanyeol pretended to ask, having caught up with the game. "Who are you gonna partner with, dude?"

Kai sighed, already knowing where the topic was leading. He mentally imagined himself holding a knife and stabbing his friends with it, but at the same time he felt happy since there was an opportunity for him to get closer to his crush. He eyed Sooyeon from the corner of his eyes, noting how confused she looked, and inwardly chuckled at the adorable sight.

Gathering his courage, he turned to Sooyeon and smiled nervously at her. "Uhm, do you mind if I partner with you?" he asked, rubbing the back of his neck shyly. His friends tried hard to contain their laughter at the sight of him looking so shy and nervous, and Minji turned to Chanyeol with a questioning look, earning herself a nod since he knew exactly what's on her mind.

Sooyeon seemed surprised at this and it clearly showed on her face. The idea of working with Kai - or any other boy for that matter - closely for an assignment made her nervous, but with one encouraging look from Minji, she shyly nodded her head in agreement.

Kai had to try really hard not to scream at his success.

 

 

Their impromptu lunch extended into a fun day out, and Sooyeon couldn't stop herself from smiling with joy. The guys were always bickering like children, much to her amusement, and Sooyeon felt like she'd missed out on so much for the past nineteen years of her life. The thought saddened her, but another clumsy act from Baekhyun and Chanyeol made her laugh again.

Kai was truly enjoying himself - and not for the obvious reason. Sooyeon had been smiling and laughing all day, and the sight of her eyes disappearing into crescent moon shapes while her lips stretched widely from ear to ear made him smile too. As cheesy as it sounds, Kai thought his day had just gotten brighter with Sooyeon around. He mentally thanked the guys for being all rowdy, clumsy and funny, as they all had brought out a brighter side of Sooyeon for him to see.

"Kai," a voice called him and Kai was too late to notice that it was Sooyeon calling his name. He blinked, trying hard not to blush as he was sure that she had caught him staring at her, but the look on her face seemed to tell him that she was oblivious to it. Mentally sighing in relief, he approached her and smiled.

"Yes?"

"I, uh..." Sooyeon had taken a lot of courage to call the boy over, and now that the boy with the sun-kissed skin tone was standing beside her, she found herself struggling to voice out her words. Kai smiled kindly to her, understanding her predicament, and eyed her patiently. She blushed when she realised that he was staring at her and bit her bottom lip. "I w-was wondering if you'd like to meet up tomorrow for our assignment," she finally said, looking away in an awkward manner.

Kai smiled. "Sure. Where should we meet up?" he asked, waving Sehun off when the boy playfully blew some air against his nape while he was walking by.

"The library? I need to find some books for our work first," she said and he nodded in understanding.

"Okay. We have English as our final period tomorrow, so I guess we'll just walk together to the library? If that's okay with you, of course." Kai added as an afterthought.

Sooyeon smiled and nodded.

"Sure."

"Okay, that's a date."

Kai froze once he realised what he had said and quickly stammered, trying to find his words to make sure she didn't misunderstand. To his surprise, Sooyeon let out a giggle and nodded her head. "It's a date."

Kai is in love.

 


Oh my god guys! I didn't realise that I misspelled the story title and thankfully my friend pointed it out to me. Why didn't you guys tell me earlier? *sobs* God, that's embarrasing. I'm sure there are more typos here somewhere but I'll just fix it some other time lmao.

Well, this concludes today's update. If I feel up to it, I'll update (possibly a double update) again tomorrow. On one condition! Tell me how the story is going so far. I just hope that you guys will continue commenting, supporting and loving this story.

Thanks, guys!

(btw, if any of you are creative and would like to make posters for this story, I'm more than happy to accept them. Hehehe *shameless author*)