red bean paste

Steamed Buns and Ungodly Hours

언니네 이발관 (Sister's Barbershop) - 100년 동안의 진심 

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / 

Joshua smiled to himself, eyes glued to the ceiling as if it was a screen projecting his thoughts. And his thoughts were on the day he saw Hansol for the first time. 

"We only have half a dozen of  red bean paste and half of milk too." A tall, tan male employee said with a certain look on his face. It showed sympathy. Joshua looked over at the handsome boy beside him who seemed to be thinking. He had walked into the small store at the same time as him, and they had run into a problem. The pair wanted red bean paste steamed buns. They were both commanded to get red bean paste. 

"Let's get three each." Joshua proposed carefully. "No, take all the red bean paste ones. I'll take the milk." The boy simpered. Joshua felt his heart skip a beat. What a lovely face. "Oh, did you figure something out?" The employee said. The handsome boy nodded. Joshua furrowed his eyebrows in concern.

"Are you sure?" Joshua asked. "Of course!" The latter replied. Joshua nodded then glanced. Now that he thought of it, he reminded him of a famous actor. What was the actor's name? "Wow.. You look like Leonardo DiCaprio." The employee said, taking the words from Joshua's mind. An embarrassed giggle came from the boy. "Thank you." He said with some uncertainty. 

"It's a really good thing! You're so handsome!" The employee winked in a friendly manner. "Thank you Mr..Cha." The boy bowed, then looked at his name tag. It read 'Cha Hakyeon' "Give him all the red bean paste ones please." Joshua said quietly. Both the employee and boy looked at him. "Pardon?" Hakyeon asked politely. "Please give him the red bean paste buns." Joshua repeated."Ah right! Of course." He went to grab a container. 

Before the Leonardo DiCaprio look alike could comprehend what had just occurred, the employee went to grab a bag. "Six steamed buns for Leonardo DiCaprio coming up!" He said in a chipper voice. "Vernon. Call me Vernon." The boy replied coolly. Although his response was calm and collected, Vernon's eyes told a different story. He looked quite puzzle but just went along. "Thank you for shopping here! Please come again when we make more!" The tan employee said, handing the bag to the boy. 

"Thank you." He bowed to both Hakyeon and Joshua. The pair bowed back in courtesy. When Vernon was no longer in sight, the employee let out a sigh. "If I was younger, I would have given up red bean paste buns for him too." He winked at Joshua before handing him the bag of milk steamed buns. Joshua felt his face warm, starting from his ears. He bowed at him then turned to leave before he became more flustered. 

"Come again! We'll have red bean paste for sure!" Hakyeon called after him, waving as he did. "Yes, I will. Thank you." Joshua replied then made his way to his dorm, in which he was "scolded" by Seungkwan for bringing the wrong kind of buns. "How come you're absent minded today and not other days?" Jeju's boy asked as he munched on a still-warm bun. Joshua shrugged and smiled. "Why are you absent minded everyday in class?" He countered. 
Seungkwan groaned, ignoring him. They both burst into laughter.

Joshua grinned widely at the memory. It seemed as though it happened years ago, but it had only happened that same year. 

------------------------------------

"Hey! Hansol! Quickly open the door." Was the only thing heard in an otherwise empty hallway. Hansol sat up quickly, taking his earbuds away from his ears.  "HANSOL!" A familiar voice shouted. "Yes?" He called out, his voice sounded drowsy. "Open the door!! Hurry!!" The voice began whining. "Oh Cheol hyung." Hansol shuffled across the floor, unlocking the door without any apparent hurry. "QUICKLY! HURRY!" 

Seungcheol pushed open the door when he heard the clicking sound of it unlocking, almost pushing it into Hansol's face. "What happened, why are you being like this?" The former questioned a bit annoyed. "Guess. What." Seungcheol began smacking the younger's arm. "My son is becoming a mature young man! He isn't twelve anymore." He cooed. "What happened?" Hansol repeated. 

"Joshua," He commenced his story with care. "I went by his dorm and heard him say something." The last sentence caused Hansol to narrow his eyes at the storyteller. "Why were you going to his dorm? Were you gonna go see him?" He asked with jealousy brewing in his heart and mind. Seungcheol nodded, paying no mind to the display of blatant jealousy. "I heard him talking and I thought he was talking to Seungkwan, but I remembered seeing Seungkwan leave before I got there." He said, gradually becoming more excited with each word.

Hansol's glare was replaced with a smile. He knew where this was going. "He was talking to himself right?" He said, a knowing tone in his voice. Seungcheol titled his head, then grinned from ear to ear. "Is our little Hansol Vernon Chwe growing up and falling in love?" He cooed. Hansol laughed and momentarily switched the topic to the latter's crush. "Is our old Choi Seungcheol finally old enough to talk to Jeonghan?" 

Seungcheol huffed in disbelief. A grin, however, was still persistent on his lips. "He was talking to himself and I heard him say.." The elder's voice trails off, leaving a feeling of anticipation. "Remember the steamed bun place." Seungcheol suddenly said. Hansol's eyes lit up for a second but he quickly cast them down. "You heard him say 'remember the steamed bun place?'" He responds. 

 "No, no, just answer the question. Do you remember it?" Seungcheol said with more excitement than before. "Yes, Yes." Hansol replied, coolly outwardly but was feeling extremely eager inwardly. "He said 'it all started there.'" Seungcheol said and waved his arms in a mysterious gesture. 

 "What started?" The latter began demanding while bursting into laughter. The former shrugged and put his hands in his pokets. "I'm an old man who cannot hear, you're going to have to speak up." 

"Hyung hyung! You can't just leave me hanging like that!" Hansol began begging and shaking the elder's arm. "I suddenly remembered that I still need to talk to Joshua. Should I go?" Seungcheol said. He completely ignored his arm being rocked back and fourth. "Don't! Stay and tell me what he meant by that!" Hansol yelled. Seungcheol looked down at his phone to check the time. "It is getting late now. Time to go to sleep. Finally I can sleep early." He continued ignoring Hansol but was quite obviously trying not to laugh.

After over an hour of yelling, grumbling, and laughter, Seungcheol finally fell asleep. Hansol sighed loudly, and took out his laptop. There's always tomorrow to find out, he'll tell me sooner or later, he thought, But right it's time to focus on lyrics.
 "February 18th, 98..." 

--------------------------------------

Hello hello! I hope you enjoy this chapter! it has how Joshua and Hansol first met // flashback in italics // and yeah! the song is a really nice calming song so listening to it while reading this chapter is 11/10 recommended. school update: i got good grades this semester so yAY. i hope you all get good grades or/and pay. . yeah. please stay healthy! good night/evening/morning!