A New Term

Boarding School

TWO MONTHS LATER
The past two months had been repetitive- to say the least. It had been lesson after lesson, and some socialising in between. Yoongi continued to disappear regularly to see Seojun, of course the other’s didn’t know that. In fact they’d just began ignoring it now and leaving him to it. After all, it was Yoongi’s business- not theirs. The school was vibrant as students filed in after their short 2 week long break from school. Hundreds of students piled into the building with their suitcases, going straight up to their dorm. Jungkook and Namjoon perched on a wall, watching the crowds of students. 

“Thank you for staying here with me these past 2 weeks,” Jungkook said, still looking straight ahead while he could feel Namjoon looking at him intently. 

“It’s not problem,” Namjoon chuckled, putting an arm round the younger boys shoulder. 

“No- you probably wanted to go home to your parents, I’m sorry,” Jungkook looked down, fiddling with this hands. Namjoon laughed softly. 

“Stop apologising, you’ve been apologising the whole time. I told you, I wanted to stay here with you, I couldn’t leave you on your own now could I? And I didn’t want you to go home to that kind of environment,” Namjoon reassured him for the umpteenth time. Jungkook nodded, still feeling guilty. He didn’t ask Namjoon to stay, he offered. Which somehow made him feel worse. He didn’t want Namjoon to feel like he had to stay at school with him for the 2 weeks. However, they had a good time. There wasn’t much to do with almost no students around. They just talked about things, ate together, played cards, it wasn’t much- but it was a break from lessons for a while. In fact, it was just what Jungkook needed. Namjoon too in a way. In his old school, there was his small group of friends but he wasn’t that close with them. He just tagged along and got in trouble with them, he had never had a friend like Jungkook. He had always wanted a friend like this. In his old friend group; he got along with them, but he never felt close to them. He never felt like he could open up about his feelings, he never felt like he could just have a nice time with one of them like he and Jungkook have been doing more and more. 

“Namjoon?” Jungkook asked. 

“Yeah?” Namjoon smiled. 

“Thank you for staying these past 2 weeks,” he declared one last time. Namjoon laughed, leaning over and hugging Jungkook tightly.
“Stop thanking me! Anyway I wouldn’t have slept properly at home knowing you were either alone or at your parents house.” 

“It means a lot that you care this much, I never thought I’d have anyone I could talk to like this,” Jungkook admitted.

“Neither did I,” Namjoon pointed out.  

“Oh yeah,” Jungkook realised, “you weren’t that close to your friend group were you?” Namjoon shook his head. 

“They weren’t true friends,” he hummed, thinking back to his school days. Jungkook smiled, gesturing that he could continue. Namjoon sighed and leaned forward a little, watching the students still piling into the school. 

“They never understood me. Sure I went along with their activities, I did my fair share of trouble making, but I was always somewhat the odd one out. I never quite fit in that group, I always wondered why. Was I not doing enough bad things? Then I figured it out, after years of trying to be a bad kid, trying to fit in that group. I realised I didn’t want to be bad. I was holding onto that group because we met at such a young age, I was too scared to find new friends. Because I didn’t want to disappoint that group and become a target of their bullying for leaving their group, and I was scared I wouldn’t find anyone. That’s why I agreed to come here. It gave me an excuse to leave their group without them being able to argue back, and it meant I wouldn’t still be at that school for them to bully me like they did with the rest of the kids,” he just smiled at the end. 

“I love it when you tell that story,” Jungkook giggled. 

“Why?” Namjoon frowned, laughing a little with him. 

“Because it makes me feel proud of you. You could have stayed with them and kept causing trouble. In fact, I’ve learned from movies that being on the bad side is easier, but you didn’t stay with them,” he declared. 

“Exactly, you’re a wise little 15 year old aren’t you?” Namjoon laughed, “it’s easier to be on the bad side, or at least at first. We had authority over the school, no one would bother us- not even teachers, an easy school life. But by the end of a movie when the good guys win you realise they may have had a hard time, but they come out stronger. And even if you’re a bad guy, you can have that if you become a good guy. It’s never too late to switch to the good time, if you’re serious about it. Although I was never really a bad guy, I just appeared like that because of who I was with,” Namjoon said, voice getting quieter near the end. 

“Like Professor Snape?” Jungkook laughed like a child, Namjoon started laughing too. 

“Yes, Jungkook. Like Professor Snape,” he laughed. 

“Hey Namjoon, look!” Jungkook pointed in the distance. 

“Tae Tae,” Namjoon squealed. 

“You couldn’t have sounded more like a girl who just saw her boyfriend for the first time in a while,” Jungkook commented, Namjoon lightly punched him in the arm. Jungkook and Namjoon jumped down from the wall, catching the attention of Taehyung. 

“HELLO!” he shouted, running over to the pair. He dropped his suitcase and hugged Namjoon tightly before moving onto Jungkook, hugging him. 

“Did you guys have fun staying here?” he asked. 

“It was really nice actually, did you have a nice time at home?” Namjoon smiled. Taehyung nodded eagerly.
“It was great! I’ve missed this place though, are the others here yet?” 

“I don’t think so,” Namjoon informed him, looking around in case he could spot them. 

“We’ve been sat here people watching for a while and we didn’t spot them,” Jungkook expanded on Namjoon’s comment. 

“People watching,” Namjoon laughed, leaning into Jungkook to support himself while he laughed. 

“What?” Jungkook laughed, “we were!” 

“We all do it,” Taehyung admitted. 

“There’s Jin!” Jungkook called. 

“JIN!” Taehyung shouted. Namjoon shook his head at his friend’s loudness. 

“Hi!” Jin called back, jogging over to the others, hugging them one by one.
“I missed you all so much!” he cried out happily. 

“We missed you too,” Jungkook smiled. 

“Is that Yoongi in the distance? Who’s he with?” Jin asked, peering into the distance. Namjoon squinted. 

“I’ve seen them together before,” he said. 

“Oh really?” Jin asked. 

“Yeah, me and Jungkook saw them,” Namjoon replied, nudging Jungkook who nodded. 

“Hi guys,” Yoongi smiled as he approached the group. 

“HI YOONGI!” Taehyung wrapped his arms around his roommate. 

“Wow, okay, hello,” Yoongi laughed, patting his back awkwardly.

“This is my…friend, Seojun,” he smiled, gesturing to the handsome Seojun. 

“Hello,” the boys all chorused, Seojun smiled back politely. 

“Yoongi I’ll leave leave you with your friends and I’m going to go unpack, I’ll see you later,” he leaned in closely to Yoongi, hand on his shoulder. 

“Yeah, later,” Yoongi smiled. Seojun patted his shoulder and walked off in the other direction. 

“Boo!” a voice suddenly said behind the group, who all turned around simultaneously. 

“Hobi!” they cried- Taehyung extra loud- hugging their friend one by one. 

“Did you guys have a nice break?” Hobi chirped happily, setting his suitcase down on the floor. 

“Yeah,” the other’s all smiled. 

“What about you?” Jin asked politely. 

“Yeah it was great! Missed you all of course,” Hobi looked at each boy in the group. 

“Jimin not here yet?” 

“Nope, not yet,” Namjoon confirmed, peering over Taehyung to try and spot Jimin. 

“What did everyone do over the 2 weeks then?” Hobi asked conversationally. Taehyung chirped in straight away. 

“I learned how to play monopoly!” 

“I love monopoly, we should play one time, all of us!” Jin exclaimed, receiving mixed opinions. Hobi looked over to Namjoon and Jungkook. 

“What did you two do for the whole time here?” he asked. The two looked at each other and shrugged. 

“We talked together, ate together, played cards, went for walks. Just kept busy really,” Namjoon replied casually. Hobi nodded in approval, eyes wide with fascination. That was one of the best things about Hobi- he’d always be so interested in what you’re saying. Whatever you want to talk about he’ll take great interest in your words and listen intently. It was one of his best features. 

“JIMIN!” Taehyung exclaimed, Jimin waved sweetly as he approached his friends. Jimin put his suitcase down and hugged everyone in turn. 

“Did you have a nice fortnight, Jimin?” Jungkook asked. 

“It was okay!” Jimin smiled, “how was your 2 weeks with Namjoon?” 

“Relaxed,” Jungkook stated. 

“Good,”Jimin said as he eye smiled brightly. Everyone picked up their suitcases and headed straight up to their dorms to unpack and go to dinner. Unpacking didn’t take long, seeing as this time they were familiar with where they’d put everything. 

After about 20 minutes of unpacking, the 7 boys went back down to the dining hall, taking a seat at their usual table after collecting some food. 

“Hey guys,” a fellow first year student greeted, joining the end of their table. 

“Hello,” Taehyung greeted, “I remember you from the party.”

“Yup that’s me!” the boy replied, “funny you should say that, because I came to tell you all that’s there’s going to be another party! Tomorrow night, same time, same place as last time. I hope you all come and enjoy yourselves tomorrow. Seeing as most of us haven’t seen each other for 2 weeks, we thought this would be a chance to all catch up and have fun together!” 

“That sounds perfect,” Namjoon spoke on behalf of the group, “we’ll all be there, right guys?” 

“Yeah!” everyone chorused.