Starting To Warm Up

Boarding School

“YOU’RE WORTHLESS!” a woman’s voice screamed, piercing through the air.

 

Why can you never get anything right?” a man’s voice said.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m trying my best,” the young boy said, trembling with fear.

 

“Well your best just isn’t good enough.” He flinched as a big fist came towards his face at full speed.

Jungkook shot up into a sitting position in bed, breathing heavily. He glanced over to the clock that read 6:58, deciding on getting up and waking the others to get ready for breakfast and class. He went into the bathroom first to wash the sweat running down his face from the nightmare. He splashed his face with water and studied his reflection in the mirror to make sure he looked decent. He dabbed his face with a towel before heading back into the bedroom. Jungkook didn’t get nightmares on a regular basis, so it wasn’t a big problem, but when he did get them; they were bad. They affected him a lot and he’d dawn on them for the rest of the day, so clearly this was already looking to be a bad day; and it was only 7am.

“Jimin,” Jungkook nudged Jimin slightly, who stirred a little before opening his eyes one by one.

 

“Oh, good morning, Jungkook,” he smiled sweetly.

 

“It’s 7 o’clock,” Jungkook informed him, walking to the other side of the room, nudging Hobi.

 

“Hobi, it’s time to get up,” he said softly. Hobi turned over tiredly, muttering an ‘okay’. Jimin crawled out of bed and went to the bathroom first, Hobi literally fell out of bed and crawled to the wardrobe to grab some clothes to wear. He took them over to his bed and put them down, before picking up his class timetable on his bedside table.

 

“I have maths first, what about you, Jungkook?” he asked, looking up from the paper. Jungkook picked his own up, glancing at it.

 

“Science,” he said.

 

“What about you?” Hobi asked Jimin, who was just walking out of the bathroom, now looking more awake.

 

“Hm?”

 

“What class do you have first?” Jimin reached over to his bedside table and also looked at his timetable.

 

“Maths,” he confirmed, before placing it back down and heading to the wardrobe.

 

“Room M3?” Hobi asked. Jimin nodded while fishing through his clothes.

 

“Jungkook are you okay going alone?” he asked, looking over at the youngest boy.

 

“If you want us to walk you there, then we will,” Hobi added.

 

“I’m fine,” Jungkook lied, actually really nervous about turning up to his first class alone. Even if they did walk him there, he still would be in a class full of people he didn’t know. Where would he sit?

 

“Why don’t we go and say hello to next door and see what classes they’re in, maybe one of them will be in your science class,” Hobi suggested, looking back and forth between Jimin and Jungkook, who both nodded.

 

“Let’s get dressed first,” he added.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taehyung opened his eyes and rolled out of bed onto the floor. He shook himself off from the night and stood up.

“GOOD MORNING!” he boomed. Namjoon, Jin, and Yoongi stirred awake in annoyance.

 

“What the hell?” Jin muttered.

 

“Rise and shine,” Taehyung sang as he bounced over to the curtains and pulled them open.

 

“Oh great, he’s a morning person,” Namjoon mumbled sarcastically, falling back down onto his pillow.

 

“Since when were you hyper?” Yoongi asked.

 

“Always, it just takes me a while to warm up to new people,” Taehyung shrugged, “people at school always called me an alien…”

 

“I can see why,” Namjoon chuckled fondly, getting up out of bed.

 

“What time is it?” Jin mumbled from under the covers.

 

“7:15,” Yoongi replied.

 

“Breakfast is at 7:30 isn’t it?” Namjoon asked, the other 3 replying ‘yes’ simultaneously. Taehyung went to the wardrobe to find some clothes to wear, getting dressed and freshening himself up for the day along with the others. Once Jin managed to finally pull himself from the warmth of his bed, the 4 boys began gathering their things for the day, but stopped at the sound of the door knocking. Taehyung went over and pulled open the door happily.

 

“Oh, good morning,” he greeted the 3 neighbours next door, smiling brightly.

 

“Morning, we were just wondering what class you guys have first. Jimin and I have maths first, but little Kookie here is all alone in science,” Hobi informed, ruffling Jungkook’s hair.

 

“Come in,” Namjoon called from inside the room. Taehyung stepped aside, letting the trio in and shutting the door behind them.

 

“I have maths also,” Yoongi said, timetable in hand.

 

“Same here,” Jin added. Jungkook looked over to Taehyung and Namjoon, who were stood together looking at both of their timetables.

 

“Me and Taehyung have science too! Room S6?” Jungkook nodded happily, feeling more at ease knowing he would have 2 familiar people with him. Of course, he’d rather Hobi and Jimin; but he was happy with Namjoon and Taehyung.

 

“Shall we all sit together at breakfast? Hobi suggested.

 

“Sounds perfect,” Taehyung beamed, agreeing on behalf of his friends. The group of 7 walked down to the dining hall for the 2nd time, but not in silence this time. There was idle chatting occurring throughout the group, mainly just small talk, but it kept them busy until they arrived at the breakfast hall. The group all grabbed their food and found a table with 8 seats. They naturally divided into the trio from room 18 on one side of the table, and the foursome from room 19 opposite them on the other side. After a normal breakfast, filled with small talk in between bites of food, they integrated to their respective classrooms. Saying small goodbyes to the ones who weren’t in their class.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jungkook, Taehyung and Namjoon walked into science, Taehyung walked in first, followed by Namjoon, and then followed gingerly by a shy Jungkook. Namjoon noticed Jungkook walking in timidly and gave him an encouraging pat on the back and a warm smile.

 

“Good morning,” the teacher greeted brightly, “what are your names?”

 

“Kim Namjoon.”

 

“Kim Taehyung.”

 

“Jeon Jungkook.”

 

“Perfect, the whole class is here now, please take a seat wherever you like,” the teacher said, looking down at his clipboard, ticking off the names of the trio that just walked in. The 3 of them meandered over to an area of the classroom with a few free desks, each sitting down at one of them. They paid close attention to the teacher, drinking in every word he said. Jungkook occasionally got distracted by his own thoughts and found himself staring out of the window next to him. He tried to ignore it, but being haunted by your own thoughts is a hard thing to ignore sometimes. Especially when each time you thought about it; your stomach dropped with what felt like a mix of fear, guilt, and loneliness.

 

“So now I’ve explained that,” the teacher began, “try and work through the worksheets on your desk, don’t worry- they’re not too hard.” The volume of the class suddenly rose as students began to chatter away now the teacher had finished lecturing.

 

“Hey,” a student said, walking over to the area Namjoon, Taehyung, and Jungkook were sat in.

 

“Hi,” the trio greeted.

 

“I’m Jungho, I’m also a transfer student. I came over to tell you guys that there is a first year’s party being held tonight, so the transfer students can get to know the rest of the first years and we can all mix as a year group. Would you want to come along?” he asked, eyeing all 3 of the boys in front of him one by one.

 

“I’m up for that,” Taehyung commented.
 

“And me,” Namjoon added, “Jungkook?”

 

“Um,” Jungkook pondered. He wasn’t sure how comfortable he felt with the idea of a party, especially being so young. “Okay,” he finally agreed.

 

“Are you sure?” Taehyung asked.

 

“Yeah, why not? It’ll be good to get to know everyone,” Jungkook shrugged.

 

“Great,” Jungho clapped his hands together. “So here’s the lowdown on what’s happening; we have friends in the upper year groups that are getting us the alcohol, so that’s sorted, then the party will be held in the common room on the very top floor at 9pm. No teachers will come all the way up there at that time. But keep this party lowkey, if teachers do find out- it won’t happen. Okay?” the 3 boys nodded in full understanding.

 

“We’ll be there,” Namjoon confirmed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hobi, Jimin, Jin, and Yoongi sat in their maths class, still currently receiving a lecture from the teacher. When her back turned to the class and she was facing the board for a little while, the little piece of paper that had been slowly working its way round the room made it to Hobi, Jimin, Jin, and Yoongi. They each opened and read it one by one.

 

“First year’s party tonight at common room on very top floor, 9pm. Alcohol already sorted by older students. Keep the plan lowkey. Pass this note on.”

After Yoongi had finished reading it, he passed it on to the student in front of him and turned around to his friends, raising one eyebrow. The other’s all gave him a small nod, which he returned when he understood the gesture.

 

“The class is over now,” the teacher announced after glancing to the clock, “I’m sorry it was all lecture, I promise it’ll get more practical soon, I’m just introducing you all to the unit,” she smiled. The cluster of students stood up simultaneously and filed out of the classroom.

 

“So, tonight?” Hobi asked.
 

“We’re all going, right?” asked Jin.

 

“Yeah,” Yoongi and Jimin replied in unison.

 

“Do you think the other 3 know about it?” Jimin asked.

 

“I don’t know,” Hobi said, “let’s go and find them an ask. The foursome trapsed the corridors towards the maths department, spotting their 3 friends halfway between the maths and science departments, as the trio were just coming out of their own class.

 

“Have you heard about the party?” Namjoon asked.

 

“We were just coming to ask you the same question,” Hobi laughed.

 

“Are we all going then?” Taehyung asked excitedly, bouncing on the spot a little.

 

“I guess so?” Jin half confirmed, earning nods from the rest of the group.

 

“Yay!” Taehyung squealed.

 

“Alien,” Namjoon teased.

Hi guys! Thank you to shikey for being my first subsrciber on this story. Writing is much easier when you know people are reading. I'm not worrying too much about it as I've only just started writing this, but it's the second chapter now- so if I could at least get one comment on this chapter then that would be a great encouragement to write chapter 3. I'm really excited to write this fic though, because I know where I'm going with it and I think you're all going to love it. It's a bit boring writing the first few chapters, because I just want to get to the good plot already, but I want to take the character and story development slow. Things will start to get more exciting next chapter though^-^