002

Sinister Warfare [Slow Updates!]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was around 02:30 PM when Jaein picked her up, it was a calm Saturday and the younger girl was extremely excited to show her around town. "This feels like a whole new place, I can barely remember my way to the park." Iseul commented. 

 

"Thought so, a lot of construction has been going on and some and some paths and roads have been blocked off for several reasons. On the other hand, though, a lot of new shops and restaurants have opened up, so I guess that compensates it." Jaein explained as they walked through a busy cross way street. 

 

"Blocked off? Why?" Iseul asked, extremely confused. 

 

Jaein stopped in front of her, and looked at her seriously, "Look around and tell me what you see behind me, left of me and on the right of me." She suddenly asked, which made everything even more vague for the other girl. 

 

"Uh," She scratched her head, "Lots of people?" Jaein frowned and shook her head, "Look closer and focus on what they are wearing." 

 

Iseul narrowed her eyes, looking at the several directions, like she was instructed to do, then it hit her, "Oh! The most guys on the left are all wearing something red, then there are some guys wearing blue on the right and  behind you are a lot of guys wearing black." 

 

Jaein winked cheekily, "Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!" 

 

Iseul smiled at her gesture, but still questioned, "That's great, but what does that have to do with anything?" 

 

Jaein knocked on her head, "They're color gangs, you silly! We happened to be at the exact crossing point in which the three color gangs' territories cross each other. They have divided Seoul in different districts. They're the ones who are responsible for blocking off the roads. The color gangs aren't allowed to cross each others' turf." 

 

"Color gangs?" Iseul, as confused as ever, still didn't understand what was happening. 

 

"Yeah, here in Seoul we have three dominant color gangs that pretty much control most stuff around here, there are the Red Dragons with their boss 10-H, the Black Ryders with their boss S. Coups and the Blue Hawks, with their boss J-L." Jaein explained as they entered a clothing store. 

 

"What’s up with all the nick names?" Iseul pulled a face. The younger girl giggled, "They all have code names, since it's kind of dangerous to use their real names. Anyway, these three gangs don't really like each other, but the funny thing is, the bosses never met each other in person, no one really has seen them in real life, at least, no one living. Well, from what I've heard." 

 

The former looked at her, questionably, "Say... Where do you get all this information from?" Jaein grinned, "From all kinds of sources, rumors, hear-say, articles, secret sources, and the list goes on and on." 

 

Iseul found Jaein acting a little bit too vague about the topic, "Oh, okay..." But she decided to dismiss it anyway, "Hey, so if we were at the cross point of the three territories, in what 'district' do I live in?" 

 

"You?  I think... The Black Ryders? You live pretty close to a void so no real threat there." She stated quite nonchalantly, but Iseul shivered slightly, "What's a void?" 

 

"A void is an unclaimed district, there are around three voids in Seoul. Seongbuk-gu, Gwangju-gu and Yeongdeungpo-gu are the only voids, no one is allowed to fight on there, they're kinda like safe spaces Most young couples have moved to the voids for that reason." 

 

"What an odd rule." The older one commented. "It's the agreement they made with the officials. They all refused to give up their turf and the government officials tried to make a deal which ultimately lead to this. Originally the plan was to create voids and slowly expand them until the gangs would be powerless. They failed eventually, since a) they would probably rebel anyway and b) the color gangs threatened to involve the civilians in a gang war. And trust me, that would've been awful."

 

"Yeah, No kiddi-" 

 

Suddenly they were interrupted by loud noises in the background followed by sounds of crashing and large objects -no, a human being- being thrown across the street. Iseul stopped and looked back, "What was that?" 

 

Jaein shrugged, "Oh, probably Kim Jongin, he's slightly irritable sometimes." 

 

"Slightly irritable is a pretty light way to put it. Shouldn't we help the poor guy? Or call the cops?" Iseul asked concerned.  Jaein pulled her away and they walked back to Iseul's house through another route. 

 

"Nah, it's better to either stay on his good side or stay away from him. Getting too close could lead up to, quite possible, very deadly and dangerous injuries. I heard from a friend that her cousin's boyfriend's little brother's friend's uncle had beef with him once and he had to use a wheelchair for a year." Jaein cringed. 

 

Iseul frowned at that, "You're kidding me." 

 

"Nope, it's true I saw it happen, but in my opinion he pretty much deserved to get thrown into a vending machine, I mean not only did he owe him like a lot of cash, but he also tried to talk smack about his younger brother so he could blackmail him. I was totally on Kim Jongin's side for that one." She confessed. Iseul looked taken aback. 

 

"Jesus, you leave to live abroad for a decade and suddenly your home town turns into an episode of Durarara. Next thing you know Mingyu ends up being part of the Black Ryders," She talked to herself, feeling slightly desperate and exhausted. Iseul sighed, "Anything else I need to know before I decide to go home and sleep for 30 hours?" 

 

Jaein thought for a while, also completely ignoring her friend's deep sighs at life, "Yeah, be careful of a man called Lee Taemin, he's a literal snake. Oh, and his sisters Taera and Taerin, they may look innocent, but those kids are 13 year old bundles of pure smarts and evil. Kim Jongin hates Lee Taemin. They're considered mortal enemies, or something." 

 

Iseul groaned, as if just hearing their names made her extremely tired already, "Great, first the color gangs, now there's a sneaky snake man with sibling and an inhumanely strong man capable of killing me just my touching my arm. I suddenly miss Anaheim." 

 

They were nearly at her house- or I guess you could call it a dorm. 

 

Jaein giggled, "Don’t be so dramatic, you're not anyone's target so you're pretty safe." 

 

The older female rolled her eyes, "Sure, tell that to my mother at my funeral when I get killed by a hit-and-run." 

 

The younger one snorted, "Like that'll happen." And she pushed her friend forwards the minute they arrived. 

 

"Wow, look at the time, it's already ten o' clock!" Jaein checked her phone. 

 

"That late already? Oh my, I should really finish unpacking. I have to go, see you later. Be safe!" Iseul said, before giving her a goodbye hug. 

 

"Oh! One more thing," Jaein said, just before the older one entered her house, "Beware of the Crystal Lynxes. They're dangerous." 

 

Iseul felt her stomach twist in a know after she closed the door behind her and sighed heavily for the thirtieth time today, "In what kind of story have I ended up in?" 

 

Jaein waited until Iseul closed her door, before she called Mingyu.

 

[Jaein] Hey, where are you?

[Mingyu] At the base, why?

[Jaein] Oh, good. I filled in Iseul about the know-how's and know-what's of the city.

[Mingyu] Really? How did it go?

[Jaein] Fine, but she hits her statements pretty hard on point.

[Mingyu] And with that you mean?

 

Jaein snorted loudly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter