Un

Breaker

I’m sorry, it might seem like Healer. Don’t worry, it’s different, I promise.

 

It was his eighth birthday when everything changed. It was on his eighth birthday when he became the infamous night courier codenamed Breaker.

     He said good bye to his Dongwoo, his best friend as he headed down a side road, towards his house.A car was parked in front of the small house. To him, it was an alarm. The loan sharks were back. His father kept quiet about this, but he knew. It was hard to notice when everyday, a man in black would come to talk everyday. Their house was not soundproof, and everyday, he could hear them talking. “Come on, pay the money.”

     Today, he stood at the door again, listening to the conversation.

     “Please! I’ll pay back the money! But please leave my wife and son alone.” His father was down on his knees.

     The man smirked and spoke. “Nah, I think I’ll like your wife.” He stood up and walked somewhere. A soft shifting soon followed as he continued. “She looks quite pretty.”

     A small shiver went through his back as he thought of what they could do to his mom. He slowly opened the door, pretending he didn’t notice anything and shouted. “Dad! I’m home!”

     Everyone in the living room turned around to see the boy. He didn’t even pretend as he stared worriedly at his father. “Dad, don’t let them take mom away.”

     “Oh? Your son’s quite nice too, should I take him instead.” The man glanced at the boy and smirked.

     The young kid didn’t even do as much as flinch. “Will that fill my father’s dept?”

    “Yes it will.” He smiled slyly, slowly walking towards the boy.

     “Why should I trust you?” The boy whispered, stepping back, weary of the man.

     “Because,” the man stepped closer and breathed in his ear. “I don’t lie.”

     The boy glanced at his father, who pleaded him to him not to go, and then stared back at the man. “I’ll come with you.” Before leaving, he went up to his father and whispered. “Please protect mom from now on,” and then followed the older.

The man smiled in triumph as he lead the boy into the car. A few minutes after hitting the road, the man started talking.

    “What’s your name, kid?”

    “Lee Hodong.” He muttered, “but my family has already submit the form to change my name to Howon.”

    “Well, Howon, do you know what a courier is?”

     The boy shook his head.

     “In a simple sense, you deliver things.”

     “So I will… just deliver things?” Howon asked.

     The older smirked as he glanced in the rear mirror. “Of course, when you’re working with us, it won’t be that simple.”

     “What do you mean?”

     “You’ll be dealing with much more wealthy people, and much more dangerous people.”

     “How?” He asked again

     “By training.”

     “Where?”

     They stopped in front of a huge house. “Here, get out. This will be your home from now on.”

     His eight year old self could only nod.

    Another man filled his place and smiled friendly. “I’m your mentor. Call me L.”    


 

     As Dongwoo said goodbye and happy birthday, he didn’t realize that was the last time he would be seeing his best friend. On the next day, he stared curiously at the empty seat that held the place of his best friend.

    Hodong was never late, he was always the first one here. Class soon started and Dongwoo directed his attention to his teacher, hoping to explain what was going on.

    She didn’t, and started class. And at the end of the day, Dongwoo was almost about to cry. Where was Hodong?

    Finally, one of his teachers pulled him aside. “Dongwoo, you’ve been wondering where Hodong is, right?”

    The boy nodded. “Me too, let’s go to his house and see.”

    “Alright!” The boy smiled and followed his teacher to the small house where Hodong lived.

    The teacher knocked, and soon, a man opened the door. “Hello? Is this Lee Hodong’s house? I’m his teacher, and we were wondering where he is.”

    The man’s face tightened. “Come in, I’ll tell you about it.” He glanced down at the boy. “Are you Dongwoo?”

    He nodded. The man smiled. “Come in as well, you might want to know.”

    They sat down on the couch, and Hodong’s father started explaining. “I was in a lot of dept when my company went broke. I chose the wrong people to deal money with.” He breathed in. “Then, yesterday, they threatened about my wife and son. I guess Hodong already knew and came in and told me not to give them his mother. The loan sharks took interest in him.” Another deep breathe came from Hodong’s father, his voice was starting to crack. “Hodong… asked if that paid off my dept, and they said yes.”

    “I begged him to decline the offer, but he agreed.” His best friend’s father’s voice was becoming lower and lower. “Before he left, he told me to protect my wife.” When he told the story, he glanced up at the teacher. “I’m such a horrible parent.”

    Dongwoo sat there for a moment, trying to take in the man’s story. “So… I won’t be able to see Hodong again?” He asked.

    No one answered.