SCRIPT 6

The Break Up

Dara started crying.

Hyejeong enveloped her in an embrace. “I know it’s been hard on you and I’m sorry”, she said apologetically.

She knew that Dara has fallen inlove with GD, she witnessed when Dara’s thankful heart changed into something deeper, how her gaze changes over time and how much she tried to hide that she was hurting.

Dara sobbed and tightly embraced Hyejeong.

“I’m scared…and…I’m ashamed…that for a moment I can’t help but hope that he’ll notice me. I… forgot that I can’t”

Dara continued to cry.

********

Hyejeong dropped herself from the sofa as soon as she arrived home. Dara has been crying non-stop that she had to ask a nurse to sedate her, leaving her unavailable to ask her further what is happening. She knew that it wasn’t just about GD.

“Is dad home?”, she asked a maid passing by.

“Yes Miss Hyejeong”, the maid answered and continued her work.

She heaved herself up and went to Chairman Kwon. “Dad! I need to talk to you!”, she exclaimed barging in his room.

“How is Dara?”, Chairman Kwon asked gently.

“You knew what happened to Dara five years ago, didn’t you?”, she asked squinting her eyes.

“We all knew what happened”, Chairman Kwon answered gently.

“I mean, what REALLY happened to her?”, she glared. Chairman Kwon didn’t answer. “She’s on the verged of losing it, dad and she’s having it badly this time. So you need to me”

“Are you sure it’s not about GD?”

“Oh! We all know how an idiot he is.  But that is not what I am asking you.”, Hyejeong insisted.

“What do you want to know?”, Chairman Kwon asked in a resigned tone. Hyejeong would not let it go easily this time.

“Everything”, she answered.

He let out a sigh. “Dara…she was ually assaulted five years ago”

“What?! By that ex-boyfriend?”, Hyejeong asked gritting her teeth. Chairman Kwon shook his head.

Chairman Kwon shook his head. “No. That ex-boyfriend died two months after, he was in a car accident”, Chairman Kwon answered in a low voice.

Hyejeong gasp. “What? Then who….?”

“By her step-father”, Chairman Kwon answered.

Five years ago…

Dara happily went to her mom’s place. She just found her a few months ago, accidentally, when she met Thunder at the coffee shop where she work and Thunder was hired as a part-timer. Justin, her boyfriend, already met Thunder but she was not able to tell the nuns yet at the orphanage.

She grimaced seeing how untidy the house is when she arrived, in her heart she can understand why her mom never looked for her. Her step-father is an alcoholic and seeing that her mom and step-brother’s situation is worse than her, she can’t help but to extend assistance to them especially that she can see how much Thunder wanted to study. She didn’t like her step-father from the beginning especially the way he looked at her.

Her step-father arrived seeing her alone and the incident happened. Her mom never belief her or if she did, she maybe so afraid to lose the man and the family that she have, her mom was so lost when her dad died back then resulting to her being at the orphanage.

She was so confused and didn’t know what to do, she waited and prayed for Justin’s return but when he arrived, he told her of his family decision to marry him off. He came from a well-off family and she knew how much pressure his family is putting on him. She was so angry and frustrated, they started arguing that ended up for her hysterics, she didn’t know Justin could hurt her physically but he did, it just started with a slap to calm her down but his frustration and anger to the situation that he was in came out, he started throwing things, he became a madman for a while. He looked stricken after his outburst seeing Dara and stormed out of the room, he never came back.      

She felt so alone and felt like dying. She locked herself up for days until Chairman Kwon went to her. She soon learned that her mom left with her family and Justin got married.

********

Los  Angeles

“Are we still going to shop tomorrow?”, Mino asked GD when they entered the hotel suit. He put down the paper bags that he had.

“I still need to buy Dara’s present”, GD answered.

“What do you call these?”, Mino pouts pointing at the paper bags. “And that?”, he added pointing at the paper bags at the side of the room, they bought that yesterday.

GD laughed, “I didn’t realize”

“You’ve been worried about her”, Mino commented. “I shouldn’t have mentioned about her supposed trip”, he added and started checking the internet on his phone.

GD exhaled, “I don’t know what’s happening and she’s not responding to me recently. We’re going back anyway so…”

“Impossible…”, Mino murmured looking at the news in the internet. GD approached him and grabbed his phone.

It was a news report about Dara and her alleged lover. Fans are now on raged for her ‘cheating'.                                                                       

********

“GD…”, Hyejeong greeted him when he arrived at the hospital. He booked the earliest flight possible so he can go soonest. Dara was in a car accident trying to avoid a car used by the fans chasing after her.

“What happened? How is she?”, he asked glancing at the sleeping Dara on the bed.

“Luckily, just some bruises. We’ve just been in the hospital a few days ago”, Hyejeong scowled.

“What is that all about?”, GD asked.

“That must have been taken when she was in China”, Hyejeong answered.

“There is also a photo of them at the airport”, GD replied. “Who is that guy?”

“He’s a friend she met in China”, Hyejeong answered avoiding GD’s eyes. He was about to ask Hyejeong further but Dara stirred.

GD hurriedly went to her.

“How are you? Are you alright? Are you hurt?”, he asked continuously and checked on her. Dara grabbed one of his arm stopping him.

“I’m alright”, she said in a weak voice.

“Why don’t you go home and take a rest GD. I know you’re tired from the long trip”, Hyejeong said looking at Dara worriedly.

“It’s alright. I can stay with her, you can go home noona”, GD answered back and gently supported Dara so she can sit up. Dara looked conflicted and silently asked for Hyejeong not to go.

“No, GD. Not this time. You’re exhausted and you’ll be having your final concert in two weeks’ time. I don’t like to end up with having two patients”, Hyejeong said.

GD still stayed a little longer before he went home.

“Are you sure about this?”, Hyejeong asked Dara when they were alone.

Dara nodded, “Thank you Unnie”

Hyejeong exhaled, “Take your time then. Call me or just leave a message. Just let me know that you are ok, alright?”

“Yes Unnie”, Dara answered, tears forming in her eyes.

Hyejeong tightly embraced her.

********

“What do you mean she’s on vacation?”, GD asked angrily. When he went to the hospital the next day, Dara was already discharged. He went to see Hyejeong and the only thing she said was Dara is currently on vacation.

“Exactly like that. She’s on vacation”, Hyejeong answered back still busy. She called to Minzy, “Minzy tell the press that Dara is on vacation and we’ve already verified to Dara and that guy is just a friend”

“Where is she? Why is her phone unattended?”, GD asked irritated.

“GD, I don’t have time for this. We’ve been receiving calls, emails and everything about that photo with Dara. She’s upset and tired already, can’t we just give her a break?”, Hyejeong said looking at him.

“You’re hiding something from me”, GD accused and walked to the door.

“GD…let me just ask you one thing”, Hyejeong said. GD stopped and looked at her. “Do you love Dara?”

“You know I do. What kind of question is that? I love her. She’s like a sister to me”, GD answered.

“Alright then”, Hyejeong sighed.

******************