SCRIPT 5

The Break Up

Dara looks at Hyejeong who’s been staring at her for a while. She tried not to flinch when Hyejeong hold her hands. She lowered her head, she knows deep in her heart how much Hyejeong cares for her but she can’t help feeling terrified, ashamed and anxious now that her past is coming back.

“Do you remember the time dad brought you home five years ago?”, Hyejeong asked her in gentle tone. “You we’re black and blue I was so afraid to touch you because I might hurt you”

“Unnie…”, she said teary-eyed.

“From that day, I promised to be a sister to you and that we are going to be your family”

Five years ago….

Hyejeong stares at the girl behind her dad.

“Hyejeong, this is Dara, the one I’m telling you guys about, she’s the girl helping in the orphanage that your mom and I used to visit. Come, Dara, this is my daughter Hyejeong”

Chairman Kwon reach out to her but she recoil. Chairman Kwon gave her a gentle smile and motions Dara to come forward. Hyejeong couldn’t help but gasps when she saw Dara, she initially thought she’s a teenager because of her petite frame, but she knows that Dara is just two or three years younger from her, based on her parents stories, what shocked her most is her bruises, she has a wound on her forehead and even at the corner of .

“Hyejeong, could you guide Dara to the room next to GD, she’ll be using that room from now. She’s a little tired so let’s get her to rest”, her dad added nodding at her.

After sending Dara to the room, Hyejeong went to the study to talk to her father.

“What happened to her dad?”

Chairman Kwon sighs, “I went to her apartment because the nuns at the orphanage said they haven’t seen her for a month and I found her like that. Her place is too empty. I couldn’t leave her in that place”

“Who did that to her?”

“She didn’t want to talk about it so I just let it go but I already asked somebody to investigate what happened. She’s an orphan and it hurts seeing her like that. Your mom was so fond of her when she was still alive. I remember how many times your mom tried to persuade her to live with us when she was younger or to just accept some assistance but Dara always turned down her offer”, Chairman Kwon sighs. “Anyway, is GD getting better?”

“Oh! I think he’s getting worse!”, Hyejong exclaimed. “Why don’t we send him to the vacation house in Jeju? Or send him somewhere else? This house reminds him of mom too much. Maybe a change in the environment may help him too in his music, you know he’s frustrated that he can’t compose and things are getting worse since the drunk-driving incident”

Just as Hyejeong said that they heard the cluttering and the shouting upstairs. They went up to the music room, the maids are at the door and when they went in… they saw Dara at the corner trembling.

“What happened”, Chairman Kwon asked looking at GD while Hyejeong tried to calm Dara down.

“I thought she’s…I told them I’m not eating”, GD said looking down. The broken plates are scattered on the floor.

Chairman Kwon dismissed the maids at the door. “GD, how many times do we need to tell you not to shout at them? Your mom didn’t raise you to be like that to our house helps”

“I know. I’m sorry dad”, GD said looking at Dara curiously and apologetically.

“This is Dara, do you remember the girl we used to tell you and Hyejeong about? She’s your fan…she likes listening to you. I used to get your autographs to give it to her”

GD nodded and glance at Dara again.  She still looks frightened.

“She’ll be staying with us for a while”, Chairman Kwon added.

Hyejeong ushers Dara out, GD can’t help looking at them especially Dara, he now noticed her bruises.

“I hope you and Hyejeong could treat her like a sister or a friend while she’s staying here GD, she’s been through a lot. I know you’re also having a hard time but at least try not to frighten her like that”

********

GD smiled seeing Dara sleeping at the music room’s door.  It’s been a week and although they haven’t talk much, she keeps appearing in the music room whenever he’s playing the piano. He squat down to look at her when he noticed she’s sweating, she’s crying in her sleep. He reached out for her but even in her sleep she cringed. His heart was suddenly filled with hatred towards the people who made her like this. She is far from the girl he imagined from his parents story, the cheerful and strong-willed girl.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here for you”, he whispered before scooping her up and bringing her to her room.

Months passed and Dara and GD fast became close friends, GD treated her like a delicate little kid, and he likes spoiling her too. They usually spend much of their time in the music room – GD teaching her to play the piano, composing, reading and just chatting.

“Dara!”, GD happily looked around the house for her. He saw her having tea with Hyejeong and their dad at the living room.

“Come with me”, he grabbed Dara’s hand. His smile got wider when she didn’t flinch. They run upstairs. He’s excited to let her listen to the song he created for her.

Hyejeong look at her dad, “When did they become like that?”

Chairman Kwon smiled, “It’s good that they get along well and GD’s in good spirit recently”

“They’re so different yet so alike. By the way dad, did you found out what happened? I already asked her but I just felt there’s something missing in there”

“We’ve checked it and it’s true that her boyfriend…well, ex-boyfriend got married. They must have been in a very serious argument to result in that”

“I really wanted to file a complaint”, Hyejeong complains.

“Let us respect Dara’s decision not to. She wanted to forget everything and move on, and filing a complaint might burden her more since that guy came from a well-off family”

“But we…”

“Hyejeong”, her father look at her. Hyejeong groans and nodded.

When Dara requested to move out of the house, Hyejeong and GD disagreed arguing that she should have been in that house long before, since their late mother really wanted that to happen.

“When my wife lost our third baby and the doctor told her she can’t conceive anymore, she was so devastated. I think my wife fell in love with you when she first saw you in the orphanage when you’re still a child. I remember her telling me this ‘look at her! She’s so pretty! Look at her smile’, but you were so stubborn when we tried to adopt you”, Chairman Kwon laughed.

“I’m sorry Uncle”, Dara said feeling embarrassed.

“Don’t be. Every child would do the same thing”

“But my mom didn’t come back”, she said in a flat tone.

“You grew up well Dara and we really admire you for that, my wife loved you more for that”, Chairman Kwon added giving her a proud smile. “Can’t you just let it go this time? Let us be your family”

********

Hyejeong brought her to the company to work since she usually insists on helping at home instead. GD also went back, with almost a year of hiatus, that’s when he noticed Chaera, who just debuted then. Chaera acted in one of GD’s music video for his comeback and he was instantly attracted to her, and much to Hyejeong’s disappointment, the two started dating secretly shortly after.

“Dara, come with me”, Hyejeong said linking their arms. She caught her up at the hallway. “Let’s go look at GD’s photoshoot”

“But…”

“Don’t worry. I already informed Uncle. I’m actually going to meet Inna, she’s a designer and GD’s modelling her creations. I think you’ll fit for the girl she’s looking for”

GD’s currently on shoot when they arrived.

“So what do you think?”, Hyejeong asked Inna smiling, the latter look at Dara.

“I think she’ll be perfect. Hey Top! Can we have some shots of her?”, Inna said calling the photographer and motioning Dara.

“Solo?”, Top asked Inna.

“Let’s have some with GD”

A clip of GD's photoshoot was released and many noticed on how GD comfortably interacts with Dara and with the rumors that GD got a girlfriend because of his happy disposition, Dara became one of the many girls the fans are speculating to be his girlfriend. Much to their surprise, contrary to fans’ raged over the other girls including Chaera, the fans positively viewed Dara.

******************