Eight.

Selfish Bastard

“When can I meet him omma?”

“You already have,” Dara smiled.

“Huh?”

Dara’s gaze shifted from Jaeyong to Jiyong, “He’s right in front of you.”

Following Dara’s gaze, Jaeyong looked over at Jiyong then back to Dara in confusion. He’s right in front of me? She turned to Jiyong once more. Is Jingyo-appa…?

“Come here baby, can appa get another hug?” Jiyong asked with tears escaping his eyes.

Jaeyong just stared at Jiyong speechlessly as she pieced together what he had just said. Jingyo-appa…my Jingyo-oppa is my appa? Jingyo-appa is the one that hurt omma? Jingyo-appa…my appa, tears started to uncontrollably fall down her cheeks as she stared at the man in front of her. The man that she had gotten to know so well over the last 5 months, the man that made her feel like she had a father, that she had always had a father. The man she wished could become her actual father because she knew somehow that he could make her and her mother happy and shower them both with love and affection. And there he was, the same amazing man was now crying his eyes out with his arms extended towards her waiting for her reaction.

Slowly she stood up from Dara’s lap, she could barely hear the sniffles from her mother over her own crying. Step by step she made her way into Jiyong’s arms where a new wave of sobs overtook her. “Jingyo-oppa?” She stared into his eyes through her tears, “Jingyo-oppa is my appa? My actual appa?” she asked a few steps away from him.

“Yes, baby,” he smiled, “Your appa is back for good.”

She immediately ran into his arms and sobbed into his chest, “Appa!” She cried, “Where have you been appa? Omma and Jaeyongie missed you so much!” She pulled away from his chest and started to punch his chest, “Bad appa. How could you disappear?! You made omma so sad,” she cried as she continued to punch him, “Omma cried so much because of you. Where have you been? Jaeyongie missed you so much. Why did you leave omma and Jaeyongie behind? How could you leave us?! Why didn’t Jingyo-oppa tell Jaeyong that you were my appa? Why didn’t you tell me? How could you?” She looked at him with teary eyes, “Jaeyongie was even wishing Jingyo-appa was her actual appa, you know?”

Jiyong stared at his little girl, unable to keep the tears from flowing he hugged Jaeyong tightly in his arms, “I’m so sorry,” he said as he raised one of his hands to cup her cheek and wipe away her tears, “I’m sorry it took me so long to come back to you two. I’m sorry, I never meant to leave you or your omma behind. Please forgive appa. I’ll never disappear again. These past months with you baby has been the best time of my life, I love you so much,” He said as he kissed her forehead and both of her cheeks, “I’ll always be here for you baby, for you and your omma. Always. Please forgive appa. I’ll do everything to make it up to Jaeyongie. I love you so much my little princess.”

Without saying a word, Jaeyong nodded, “I love you too Jingyo-…ah appa,” she let out a small smile, “Just don’t ever leave again,” she pouted. 

“Never,” Jiyong smiled widely as he pulled his daughter in for a tight hug, “Thank you Jaeyongie, thank you for giving appa a chance.”

Dara watch the scene unfold with tears in her eyes. Her heart was racing through her chest as she watched the two embrace as father and daughter for the first time.

Hearing the soft sobs, Jiyong looks up at Dara with so much happiness. Unwrapping one of his arms from Jaeyong, he extended it towards Dara, “Come here omma.”

Slowly Dara scooted her way towards Jiyong. Wrapping his arm around Dara, he pulled her close and hugged both girls tightly. Just like all of those years before, Dara fit perfectly into his embrace. With the addition of Jaeyong, it couldn’t be more perfect. Ah…I’m finally home, he thinks as he kissed both of their foreheads.

 


 

“Don’t go,” Jaeyong pouted as she tugged on Jiyong’s clothes.

“I…uh,” Jiyong looked over to Dara nervously, I can’t push it too much, I can’t push Dara too much, “I’ll be back soon,” he said as he gently patted Jaeyong’s head, “I promise, but appa has to go home now.”

“Why can’t appa live with Omma and Jaeyongie?” She asked with a frown.

“Ummm,” he hesitated.

“Appa works in a faraway place, so it’s hard for him to live with omma and Jaeyongie,” Jaeyong’s frown grew even deeper at her answer, “Don’t worry, appa will live with Omma and Jaeyongie soon,” Dara quickly said as she tried to appease her daughter’s curiosity.

What? Jiyong looked at her with surprise, live with them? Her words filled his heart with happiness. Living with Dara and Jaeyong…my family, he looked between a frantic looking Dara and pouting Jaeyong. My home.

“But tonight, appa needs to go home,” Dara tried to explain.

“But…but appa just came back,” she bit her lip in fear as she looked between her mother and father, “What…what if appa disappears after tomorrow? Jaeyongie doesn’t want this to be just a dream…please appa,” she tugged at his shirt, “Don’t go, please stay.”

Her cute pouting lips slowly broke down his resolve to leave, “Alright,” he smiled, “I’ll stay for the night,” he looked over at Dara, “is that okay?”

Dara looked away from him, Is it really alright? Well I did say I would give him a chance…and Bom isn’t coming back tonight, so it should be fine. I should have some of Sanghyun’s clothes lying around. “Yeah,” she said softly.

“Thank you,” he smiled.

“Yay!” Jaeyong cheered as she hugged Jiyong’s legs.

“But it’s time for my little princess to go to bed,” Jiyong laughed, “it’s getting late.”

“Can appa read Jaeyongie a bedtime story?” she asked with sparkling eyes.

“Of course,” he smiled as he picked her up in his arms, “Anything for my little princess,” he said as he kissed her cheek and walked towards the bathroom to clean her up.

Aigoo, it’s like he already lives here, Dara thought as she rolled her eyes, Wait…what? Her heart pounded in her chest, like he already lives here? She thought.

*beep beep*

She took our her phone to see that Bom sent her a message.

 

[From: Unnie]

[To: Dara]

[Sent 10:02pm]

You’re welcome sis.

 

Huh? She stared at the message with confusion, what am I thanking her for? All of a sudden the sound of the faucet could be heard from the bathroom along with her daughter’s laughter, he’s already helping her with brushing her teeth, cleaning her up, helping her with her pajamas, reading a bedtime story for her like it’s a normal thing…like he’s always been doing this…like he’s always been here and he was just away for a business trip…Dara slowly made her way to the kitchen to make herself and Jiyong a cup of tea, how unfair Jiyong…how can you do this? She questioned, how can you just come back and fit into our lives so perfectly?

 


 

“And then the prince and princess lived happily ever after. The end,” Jiyong concluded as he looked up from the fairytale book in his hands only to find Jaeyong fast asleep. My beautiful, adorable daughter, he thought as he continued to stare lovingly at his child. Thank you for being so understanding, I’m sorry for not figuring it out sooner…for being so dense, so blind. Anyone could tell you’re Dara’s child, and I know you’ll grow up just as beautiful and kind as your mother. After tucking her in, he whispered, “Goodnight baby,” as he gently kissed her forehead and exited the room, closing the door behind him. “Now let’s find your omma,” he said to himself as he walked around the apartment to find Dara.

*beep beep*

He stopped in his tracks to check his phone.

 

[From: Daesung]

[To: Jiyong]

[Sent 10:39pm]

You’re welcome hyung! Hope things turned out for the best. Sorry for lying to you and helping Bom noona. You know I can’t turn down my hyung’s girlfriend…PLEASE DON’T FIRE ME HYUNG! I did it because I love you and want the best for you hyung! T___T

 

He let out a soft chuckle as he read the text, Aigoo, so that’s how it was…aigoo Daesungie collaborating with Bom Noona, who would have guessed that?

Turning the corner to the dining area, he saw the door to the balcony slid open. There she was, her long, dark brown hair flowing softly because of the wind and her figure wrapped in a beautiful, floral summer dress. God, what did I do to even deserve to have a child with this goddess? Why did I throw away my chance with her all those years ago? I should’ve fought harder, he thought as he quietly walked up behind her. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he gave her a back hug and rested his head on her shoulder, “Don’t turn around,” he said as she started to turn her head to see his face, “just listen,” she nodded. “I’m sorry…” he started, “I’m sorry for being so childish all those years ago. For treating our love and our relationship so lightly, for not completely understanding your own needs, for not giving you your own freedom and entirely dictating our whole relationship. I’m sorry for leaving without a trace. I was going to tell you about my transfer, I swear…but then we broke up. I was so broken and hurt, I thought that just disappearing…having a clean break up would lessen the pain. I’m sorry for being so selfish, for leaving you here with our child. I never would have left if you had told me, but I wonder if we would have lasted if we had stayed together back then. Why…why didn’t you tell me about our baby? That question kept circulating in my head all night,” he muttered as he paused waiting for her response.

Dara took a deep breath, Come on Dara…he deserves the truth, “I didn’t know,” she said quietly, “I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant about 3 weeks after we broke up.”

Her answer made him hug her tighter, “I’m so sorry, I’m sorry I left when you needed me most,” he apologized again, “I’ve never forgotten you, you know? I’ve been on dates and in relationships since we broke up, but I can’t help it. My heart only seems to beat for you, no one could even come close. Over time I realized that I only went to meet these women because I wanted to fill the hole in my heart. The hole that you made when we broke up. Eventually I used work to fill that void in my heart. My friends called me a workaholic, I never took breaks…I never wanted to stop being busy because if I stopped then I’d remember you and the emptiness I felt in my heart. Next thing I knew, my father wanted me to take over the company. I was scared to come back to Korea, scared of the possibility of seeing you again…scared that I’d see you happily with another man. I was so scared that I didn’t even try to find you when I first arrived. But then Jaeyong stumbled into my life, quite literally,” he chuckled as he remembered her running into his legs because of her excitement to see the cake, “Once I had laid my eyes on her, I felt the connection. It was unmistakable, I didn’t understand. How could I feel this connected to a child I had just met? Someone I didn’t seem to have any connection to? I even believed she was Bom noona’s daughter for the longest time…god, I was so blind,” he shook his head in disbelief, “Time passed and the void in my heart was finally starting to be filled because of Jaeyong. She’s so amazing and loveable, I wanted to just spoil her rotten. You did an amazing job raising her and I’m sorry again that I wasn’t here for you both. Thank you for giving me a chance to see Jaeyong, to be a father to her. But because I’m a selfish bastard,” she laughed at his choice of words as he spun her around to face him, “Just a chance with Jaeyong isn’t enough,” he flashed her a smirk, “I want another chance with you too,” he took her hands into his and kneeled.

Looking into her eyes, he let go of one of her hands and reached for the necklace hiding beneath his button down shirt. The necklace itself was a simple silver chain, but it was the objects hanging from it that caught her eye. Hanging on the silver chain were two rings. “Please give me another chance to share our lives together?” Taking the necklace off, he removed one of the rings from the chain before locking the necklace back onto his neck. Holding the ring between his index and thumb, he showed it to her.

“You-you still have that?” she asked with astonishment as she stared at the ring.

“I never let it go,” he said.

 


 

[Flashback]

 

(A/N: from the foreword, in case you forgot.)

 

“Thanks son,” his father pulled him in for a hug, “I know it’s a lot to ask for you to taking over to our Japan branch.”

“This day had to come eventually, right?” Jiyong replied as he pulled away from his father. “I better get going.”

“Have a safe trip son,” he said as he waved goodbye to Jiyong. 

Taking one last look around the airport, Jiyong let out a sigh, why are you so disappointed? You already broke up…why do you think she’ll be here to send you off? Or even worse, she’d come to try and stop you from leaving? He laughed at his own foolishness as he walked to his gate. He stopped at a trash can that was right in front of his gate before pulling out her ring. “I guess this really is goodbye,” he muttered as he twirled the ring between his fingers.

His hand hovered over the trash can opening, his mind telling him to let go, but his heart telling him to hold on. What are you doing Jiyong? She left you, he bit his lip in frustration, she doesn’t want you…why should you still hold onto her ring? Do you think she’ll come back for you? That she’ll want you back? Or worse, what are you going to do with this ring? With it, you can never move on, will you continue to ache for her even when you know she’s moved on? Don’t do this to yourself man, he thought as he hesitated to let go of the ring in his hand.

“Now boarding flight 818 to Tokyo, Japan at gate 18,” the intercom sounded.

“Aisht,” he let out a frustrated sigh as he placed her ring right next to his in a ring box before grabbing his luggage and walk to the que to board.

 

[End of Flashback]

 


 

“Will you give me another chance to love you?” he asked sincerely.

Her free hand immediately went to her face as she tried to furiously wipe away the tears that just started to fall, “How can you do this to me?”

He stayed silent and patiently waited for her to continue.

“Even without you here, I couldn’t move on. I searched everywhere for you when you left, I wanted to tell you everything, to clear up our misunderstanding, but I couldn’t find you. So, I waited for you to come back. I kept waiting and waiting for you to come back until I eventually started losing hope. I tried to force myself to move one, but every man I met couldn’t even compare to you, they couldn’t make my heart flutter the way you did...the way you still do. When I was finally started to give up hope that you’d ever come back and that no one out there could ever fill the role of Jaeyong’s father, you just waltz back into my life. Then you get unimaginably get attached to our daughter and make me start falling in love with you all over again without even knowing who you were. Just hearing all of Jaeyong’s stories about you made my heart start to flutter, her Jingyo-appa sounded like the perfect man to be Jaeyong’s father. I would’ve never even dreamed that a man would just enter my daughter’s life and shower her with so much love and affection before she met ‘Jingyo-oppa’. I wanted to meet this ‘Jingyo-oppa’ and get to know him so badly. And then there you were walking through my front door sweeping me off my feet again as if we were still in our early twenties. Why are your arms the only one I feel at home in? Why does my heart only seem to beat for you? Why do I love you even more now than I did 7 years ago?” she cried.

Jiyong stared at her with wide eyes trying to process everything she had just said. Finally comprehending her words, Jiyong swiftly stood up and hugged her tightly, “I love you Dara,” he whispered, “I love you. I love you so much,” he whispered as his hands drifted back down to take hold of hers once more.

She looked up at him through her eyelashes with her slightly puffy eyes, “Ya,” she bit her lip, “You selfish bastard, give me my ring back,” she said sheepishly.

He roared with laughter, “Aigoo, why is my baby so cute,” he said as he slipped the ring onto her left ring finger. “It’s finally back to where it belongs,” he said as he admired the ring on her hand before looking up into her eyes, “I’m finally back where I belong,” he whispered before cupping her cheeks in his hands and pulling her in for a passionate kiss.

 

The End.

 


A/N: Wah! I can't believe it's already the end of this story! This is probably the fastest I've written an entire story (aside from oneshots). THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading! And I hope you really enjoyed this story. Thank you all my lovely readers for supporting my story. Thank you for all of the support! Thank you for all the upvotes, subscriptions, and comments! :) I couldn't have written this story without you guys :) well...I wouldn't have had the motivation to finish...so thank you! 

I'm pretty happy with how everything played out, it went almost exactly as I planned with just a few adjustments and additions. Let me know what you guys think in the comment section ^___^ Hope you enjoyed this story!

If you haven't read any of my other stories, please check them out. I recently finished another story called "If You" that's loosely based of Big Bang's song "If You" :)

Also, as I said in the Foreword, I actually planned and wrote this story based of a prompt from ibdaragonxxi "DaraGon Fic Prompts Fest". The prompt I selected was submitted by olmen_BF (Thank you so much for writing the prompt!) Here is the specific prompt behind this fic.

Prompt: Dara was left pregnant with Jiyong’s baby after some tragic misunderstanding between them. 5 years later they meet again; however, Dara doesn’t want Jiyong anywhere near her and her son.

+1: angst, happy ending

-1: No second female lead

The only major thing that deviated from the prompt is that they had a daughter and not a son since the story I was thinking about really was built on the father-daughter relationship and off the idea that "a girl's first love is her father". And...I didn't really have much or any angst....yeah.......I changed things around a bit..................I made this a lighter story than it could have been, since like some of you have mentioned it's not easy to forgive someone that has left you when you needed them most or has hurt you so deeply. That's why I chose to make it so Dara didn't know about the pregnancy until after they broke up and Jiyong left because of family business plus they had already broken up. Even though Dara didn't know who he was at first, she saw how much of a positive impact Jiyong was on their daughter and that maybe she wants to take another chance on him for their daughter and herself. 

So, how did you think I did with the prompt? hehe, let me know in the comment section!

And since university is going to be starting up again in a few days for me, I won't have that much or any time to write anymore. So...I probably won't have any new stories any time soon :/

So...Until Next Time! Pyong~

 

 

 

P.S. Fun fact, the title of this story came from Big Bang's new song "Let's Not Fall In Love" and that's why I used some of the lyrics in the story (in the Foreword).

p.p.s. I wrote an epilogue already...that I might post......eventually....muhahahaha. Pyong~