One.

Selfish Bastard

A/N: The italicized words are the character's thoughts. Okay, enjoy reading!


Five Years Later.

 

“It’s good to have you back son,” His father said, clasping Jiyong’s hands in his.

“Well, I had to come back eventually, didn’t I?” Jiyong lightly joked, “I mean that is why you shipped me off to Japan over 5 years ago.”

“I didn’t really ship you to Japan, you volunteered,” his father retorted.

“Whatever you say Dad,” he chuckled.

“How’s your first day being the CEO of the company?”

“Overwhelming to say the least,” Jiyong frowned slightly as he took a seat behind his new desk, “Compared to the Japan branch, this is a whole different ballpark,” he shook his head in amazement as he remembered all of the information he had been told since he’d come into work this morning.

“I believe in you son,” his father smiled, “I wouldn’t have handed the company down to you if I didn’t think you could handle it.”

“Thanks Dad,” he smiled.

 


 

Weeks passed by as Jiyong started to understand and get more familiarized with the workings of the company. Despite entering the position with a negative criticisms because of his family connections, over the weeks Jiyong was able to prove all his critics wrong. All of the stockholders, executive board members, and all of his employees saw his image change from the spoiled rich kid into a hard-working young man that could truly fill in his father’s shoes. Many of them believed that many aspects of the company would change under Jiyong’s management and they were right. Some things did change, for the better, but in many aspects, Jiyong upheld his father’s legacy.

The best example of this was the annual charity event that his father had started 15 years ago. Each year, the company would sponsor an event that would raise money for single mothers. All of the raised money would then go to the local charity that helped single women. Each year had a different theme, style, and location. This year, it was decided that it would be a carnival-like event hosted at a local elementary school.

“Sir, we better get going to the event,” his secretary told him.

“I know,” he nodded as he signed another document. As he stood up from his desk he grabbed his suit jacket, “Let’s head over to the school then,” he said as he flashed a gummy smile.

 


 

“Jaeyong slow down!” Dara called as she chased after the energetic 5 year old. “The carnival isn’t going anywhere.”

“But omma!” The little girl pouted, “I want to do everything and if we don’t get there now, we won’t get to.”

“Aigoo, this girl,” Dara chuckled as she ruffled her daughter’s hair, “We better get there soon, huh?”

“Neh!” Jaeyong smiled.

“Alright, but hold my hand,” Dara said as she took the little hand into her own, “And don’t run off okay?”

“I won’t!” Jaeyong giggled, “Ah, I can’t wait. Teacher has been talking about it all month!”

“I know,” Dara replied, swinging their interwined hands between them, “Then entire school is so excited to host this event. Oh, there’s the front gate.” Her eyes widened at the sheer amount of people walking around and standing line at all the booths and attractions.

“See omma! I told you we needed to hurry, look at all the people here,” Jaeyong pouted.

“It’ll be fine, don’t be so impatient,” Just like her father, right as she thought that she sighed, why is he still on my mind?

Right as they entered the school gate, they went from booth to booth to explore all of the games and rides. Hours past in the blink of an eye.

“The ceremonial cutting of the cake will begin in 10 minutes,” the announcer called through the intercom.

“Cake?” Jaeyong’s eyes lit up, “I wonder if it’ll be strawberry cake.”

“Who knows? You want to go find out?” Dara teased as she pinched the girl’s nose.

“Yes!” Jaeyong stated as she started to tug her mom into the direction of the gathering crowd. “Come on omma! We won’t be able to see the cake if we don’t hurry!” Jaeyong let go of Dara’s hand and ran off into the throng and chaos of all the people.

“Slow down Jaeyong!” Dara called as she tried to follow her daughter, quickly losing her amongst all the people.

Once Jaeyong reached the large crowd she kept running all around trying to get a better view, “Why is everyone so tall??” she pouted, “Hmph. If there is a will, there’s a way,” she confidently stated before pushing her way through the legs of all the people in front of her. Using all of her strength, she finally reached the front row.

“Whoa,” her eyes becoming huge disks as she stared at the colossal, elaborate cake in front of her. Right as she was marveling at the sheer beauty of the cake another pair of legs blocks her view causing her to frown, “Excuse me, can you please move ahjussi?” she asked.

Seeing that the man didn’t hear here, Jaeyong bolted forward, ignoring the rope that separated the crowd from the stage.

 


 

“Mmmph,” a small voice sounded as Jiyong felt something bump into his legs.

“Huh?” Jiyong raised an eyebrow as he looked down and saw a little girl hugging his legs, Who is this little girl? Did she get lost? Right then the girl looked up at him. Sporting an apple hair-style, the girl was undeniably cute with large, innocent brown eyes, a cute, small nose, and unbelievable chubby cheeks. Right at the sight of her, Jiyong’s heart pounded, what? What is this? As if his body had a mind of his own, he crouched down so that he was the same height as her and gently reached out to pat her head, “What are you doing here little missy?” He gently asked. The moment his hand made contact with her head, an incredible sense of warmth and familiarity surged through him. What the…? Have I met this little girl before?

“I wanted to see the cake, but everyone was too tall…” she said slightly pouting in guilt.

Oh my god, I want to squish those cheeks, he thought, wait what? What is wrong with you Jiyong?? You’ve never liked kids that much. But look at her pout! You can’t help wonted to squish those chubby little cheeks. “You want a better view of the cake?” He asked.

Her eyes immediately lit up upon realizing that she wasn’t being scolded for crashing into the man, “Yes!” she nodded enthusiastically.

“Alright, come here then,” he chuckled at her enthusiasm as he opened his arms to her. Picking her up, he let her get a clear view of the gigantic cake, “You must really like cake, huh?”

“Mhmm,” she nodded unable to take her eyes off the cake, “Strawberry cake is the best,” she stated proudly.

“Strawberry, huh? Good thing that layer,” he pointed at the top layer, “is strawberry flavor then.”

“Really?” she turned to him.

“Yup.”

“Yay!” she cheered, “Strawberry is my favorite! Strawberry cake, strawberry ice cream, anything strawberry flavor.”

“You remind me of another person who loves strawberries,” he said, Ah, there was a small throbbing pain in his chest, why does the memory of her still make my heart ache?

“Sir,” his secretary came up to him, “You’ll be cutting the cake in one minute,” he looked over to the little girl in Jiyong’s arms, “And who is this?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Ah, thank you Daesung-ah,” he said as he bent over and unwrapped his arms from the little girl. Almost immediately, all of the warmth left, leaving him feel cold and empty, what is this feeling?

“Ani,” the girl wrapped her small arms around Jiyong’s neck.

“But I need to go cut the cake,” Jiyong chuckled as he tried to reason with her.

“Ani,” she repeats, clinging onto Jiyong even tighter.

“Hmmm,” he bit his lip trying to think of what to do, “How about we cut the cake together then?”

“Okay,” she nodded her head without letting go.

“Alright, problem solved,” he chuckled gathering her into his arms again. Relief and warmth spread throughout his body once more as he picked her up and started heading towards the stairs of the stage. This is seriously starting to freak me out. Why don’t I want to let this kid go?

“Celebrating this event’s 15th anniversary, please welcome Mr. Kwon to the stage,” the announcer said followed by loud cheers from the crowd as Jiyong took the stage.

“Thank you all for attending and participating in this amazing event,” Jiyong started, Aww, she must be shy in front of such a huge crowd, he laughed internally, so adorable, he thought as he felt the girl snuggled her face into his neck. “This would have never been possible without your support for the last 15 years, so thank you all for making such a wonderful event possible. Also, thank you to our other sponsors LINE, Samsung, Hyundai, SBS, and YGE,” he concluded as he stepped away from the mic and walked towards the cake.

The announcer resumed and explained how the cake would be passed out afterward as another man entered the stage to hand Jiyong a knife.

“And now Mr. Kwon will cut the first slice of the cake,” the announcer said.

Taking the knife in hand Jiyong positioned it on the layer of strawberry cake, “Place your hand on top of mine,” Jiyong coaxed the girl.

Lifting her face from Jiyong’s neck, she looked at the cake in amazement before placing her hand over his. Everyone in the crowd was trying to see who the little girl was in his arms, but because of the way Jiyong was positioned the little girl’s face was completely blocked. Even in all of the photos that were taken, the girl’s face was either covered or turned away.

“Ready?” Jiyong asked, “Okay, one. Two. Three!” he said as sliced into the cake with the help of the little girl. Taking out the single slice he had cut, he placed it onto a plate before leaving the stage. Once off of the stage he finally placed the girl onto the ground, trying to ignore the weird feeling of loss.  

“Share this with your mommy, okay?” He said as he crouched down to her level. Ah…if she’s here, I wonder if she’s from a single mother family, he thought sadly.

“I will,” she nodded, “Thank you so much for the cake,” she smiled, “Will I see you again mister?” she asked as she reached out and clung onto the sleeve of his jacket.

“Maybe if fate is kind, we’ll meet again,” he smiled.

“But Jaeyong wants to see you again soon,” she pouted.

“Aigoo, you’re so cute,” he said as he gently pinched her chubby little cheeks, “I want to see you again too Jaeyong-ah. Hmmm,” he looked around the venue, How can I see this girl again? And why do I want to see her again so much? “Do you go to this school?” he asked as he pointed to the school building near them.

“Yup!” she nodded, “I just started kindergarten here.”

“I’ll see you again soon then kiddo,” he laughed as he ruffled her hair.

“Really??” she asked, her eyes immediately lighting up.

“Yup,” he smiled sweetly, “Jiyong-oppa will see you soon.”

“Jingyo-oppa?” formed a little “o” as she learned his name.

Jingyo-oppa? Aigoo, she’s so cute calling me that, he laughed, not even bothering to correct her, “Neh, Jingyo-oppa needs to leave now. I’ll see you again soon Jaeyong-ah.”

“Neh,” she smiled before leaning over and kissing him on the cheek. Holding the cake firmly in her hands she runs towards the dispersing crowd.

Jaeyong huh? A small smile crept onto his face as he stood up and watched the little girl run off, Why do you seem so familiar?

“Omma!!” he heard the little girl yell as she runs towards a woman.

Ah, that must be her mother, he thought as he tried to get a glimpse of the mother’s face. However, her back was facing him making it impossible to see her face. That looks like…

“Sir,” Daesung called, “We need to get going to your next appointment.”

Finally taking his eyes off of the mother and daughter, he turned away and started to walk towards where Daesung was calling him, “It can’t be her,” he muttered.

 


A/N: Yay! First chapter done! ^___^ Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think in the comment section below!

Until Next Time! Pyong~