Seven.

Selfish Bastard

Dara glanced over at the clock, I wonder when they’ll be back. Jaeyong mentioned they were doing something before coming home.

Turning the oven dial down to low, she covered all of the pots and pans to make sure all the food stays warm until Jaeyong and their guest arrived. I wonder where unnie is…she was acting strangely today, she pouted, maybe her and her boyfriend finally reconciled and that’s why she said she won’t be home tonight, she thought as she mindlessly looked around the dining room area. Her eyes wandered around before settling on one object. The calendar. August 18th…it’s his birthday today, her heart raced at the thought, I wonder what he’s up to now. What he's doing to celebrate his birthday...Who he's celebrating with…is he still refusing to celebrate it? Or maybe, her heart throbbed, someone else is there to make him celebrate his birthday now…

 


 

[Flashback]

7 years ago.

 

“Come on Ji!” she whined into the phone.

“Baby, you know I still have some things to take care of at work right?” he said, she could practically hear him frowning.

“But it’s your birthday, who works this late on their birthday?” she pouted.

“It’s just another day out of the year Dee,” He chuckled.

“No, it’s not,” she shook her head, “it’s a very special day. It’s the day you were born.”

“Along with many other people who were also born today,” he replied.

“And I’m sure all of them are celebrating their birthdays with their loving girlfriends right now,” she continued to whine, “Please Ji! If you don’t come back by 8 o’clock, I will personally unplug your computer and drag you out of that office of yours.”

“But baby-”

“Don’t ‘but baby’ me Kwon Jiyong, you know what I’m capable of. Remember last year? And the year before? You want a repeat of that?” she threatened.

“…no…” he sighed, “Fine, let me just close some things down and I’ll be on my way over.”

“Yay!” she celebrated, “I’ll see you soon baby!”

“See you soon,” he smiled, “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she smiled into her phone as she heard him hang up.

Half an hour later, Jiyong opened the door to her apartment, “Baby?” he called as he loosened his tie, “What’s that smell?”

“Ji!” she squealed as she turned off the stove and ran to him. “Happy Birthday Baby,” she greeted before kissing him passionately.

They pulled away breathless, passion and desire filling their eyes. “Happy Birthday,” she whispered again.

“Thank you baby,” he grinned as he leaned in to kiss her forehead.

“I made dinner,” she flashed him a small, shy smile.

“Ah, so that’s what I smelled,” he nodded, “let’s eat?”

“Neh,” she smiled as she took his hand in hers and led him to the dining are, “sit.”

“Let me help you baby,” he refused as he tried to follow her into the kitchen.

“Nuh uh,” she wagged her finger at him, “This is your birthday, so sit.”

“Alright,” he smiled at her childishness and took a seat as she began to set the table with different side dishes, seaweed soup, and galbi (grilled short ribs). “Baby…” he looked at the table in confusion. “Where are my utensils?”

“Right here,” she said as she lifted one set of chopsticks and a spoon.

“But,” he raised an eyebrow, “aren't those your utensils?”

She smirked, “I wanted to feed my baby on his special day,” she said as she lightly ran her finger on the table as she walked towards him, “Is that okay?” she asked while biting her lip.

“O-of course,” he stuttered as he felt his heart pound like crazy.

She stood right in front of him and whispered into his ear, “So, what would you like to taste first baby?”

Caught off guard by her forwardness, he gasped in surprise before regaining his composure. “You,” he smirked, “of course.”

She pulled away from him and laughed, “That’s for later,” she winked before scooping up some seaweed soup and placing it in front of his mouth. “Say ah.”

“Ah,” he opened his mouth, amusement playing through his eyes, as she poured the soup into his mouth.

“Happy Birthday Ji,” she smiled as she leaned down to kiss his nose, “And since you’re a big boy now, I think you can feed yourself,” she smirked as she went to grab another set of utensils.

“You’re such a tease,” he chuckled as she settled down in her seat.

“And I’m only just starting,” she said seductively as she her lips, “I’ll make this a birthday you’ll never forget.”

“Oh baby,” he groaned as he felt his pants start to tighten.

 

[End of Flashback]

 


 

Tears started to escape her eyes as the memories flooded her mind. Jiyong…H-Happy Birthday Ji, she thought sadly.

*ping ping ping ping ding*

She heard the front door open.

“Omma!” she heard her daughter call.

“I’m in the kitchen baby,” she called as she quickly wiped all the remaining tears away.

“Omma!” Jaeyong’s voice was closer now.

Dara turned around and immediately went down onto her knees making her the same height as her daughter, arms extended towards her.

“Omma, I’m home,” she giggled as she ran into Dara’s arms and smothered Dara’s face with kisses.

“Welcome home baby,” she replied as she kissed both of her daughter’s cheeks.

 “Omma?” someone whispered from behind Jaeyong.

Dara looked up to see Jiyong standing in awe, “Wh-what are you doing here?” she asked with a mix of surprise and confusion as she scrambled to her feet.

“Omma, don’t you remember?” Jaeyong laughed as she tugged on Dara’s shirt, “You told me to invite Jingyo-appa over today!” she smiled proudly as she introduced him, “It’s even his birthday today, so we baked a cake together before coming home.”

“J-jiyong,” she whispered, he’s here…he’s…Jiyong is Jingyo-oppa? She thought in disbelief as she started to piece everything together. Jiyong is the man that came into my daughter’s life? He’s the one that became a father figure to her…he’s the one who’s brought so much happiness to her…the one that’s showered her with his love and attention…the amazing person who just waltzed into my daughter’s life as if he belong there from the very start…she stared at him, her eyes started to water again. “H-How-”

Jiyong quickly placed the cake box on the table and walks towards her. Without missing a beat, he cupped her face in his hands and pulled her in for a passionate kiss. The second their lips touch, a spark was reignited within them, a spark that has all but been forgotten. He gently kissed her, coaxing her lips to respond as he moved one of his hands from her face to her waist, pulling her closer to him.

The need for air became too great as they finally pulled away, both of them staring at each other in a daze, “I love you Dara,” he whispers as he stares into her brown orbs.

“Jingyo-appa? Omma?” Jaeyong asked in confusion as she looked at the embracing adults.

Her voice made both of them snap out of, “Ah,” Dara blushed as she slowly unwrapped herself from Jiyong’s hold, “Go change baby, omma just needs to talk to Jingyo for a second.”

“Okay,” she nodded as she walked towards her room with a confused look on her face still.

Jiyong just watched in amazement as Jaeyong walked towards her room before turning back to face Dara. All of a sudden everything made sense and clicked into place. No wonder…no wonder I’m so attached to Jaeyong. No wonder I feel so warm and content when she’s in my arms or when I kiss her forehead. No wonder I have a crazy obsession over her adorable, chubby cheeks. No wonder I want to be so protective over her, that I want to protect her from everything and just spoil her rotten. God, how could I have been so blind?! How could she have been anyone else’s daughter but my own? “She’s my daughter…” he stated as he watched Dara’s reaction for confirmation.

A look of worry crossed Dara’s face as she stepped towards him and clung onto part of his shirt, “Please, please don’t take her away from me, please. She’s my everything,” she begged. It’s finally happening. He knows about Jaeyong now, is he going to get mad? Is he going to take her away from me? She thought frantically, He can’t, anything but that. Please!

Her words shocked him, “I would never,” he said as he pulled her in for a hug, “I’m so sorry. For everything, I was so childish back then, please forgive me,” he sincerely said as he continued to hug her, “I’m a changed man now. Just please…please don’t try to take Jaeyong away from me either. I want to be a proper father to her. Please let me,” he pleaded.

The tears that were welling up in her eyes started to fall as she listened to his words. “She would probably hate me if I even tried to prevent you from seeing her. You two seem to be practically attached at the hip,” she lightly joked, “Plus,” she sighed, “She needs a father in her life…” she slowly raised her arms to cling onto the sides of his shirt, “I couldn’t believe someone as amazing as ‘Jingyo-appa’ would appear and become a father figure to her only for ‘Jingyo-appa’ to actually be her actual father,” she shook her head in disbelief, burying her face into the crook of his neck, their past momentarily forgotten.

“Fate is a crazy thing,” he said softly as he gently rubbed her back.

“Fate was kind…it allowed you two to meet.”

“It was insane,” he lightly chuckled, “I couldn’t understand why I had such a strong attachment to this little girl. The moment she was in my arms, warmth and contentment would fill my heart, and the moment she was gone, I’d feel so empty. I wanted to give her anything and everything I could, to protect her from anything that could possibly harm her,” he pulled away with his arms still wrapped around her waist, making Dara meet his eyes, “Please give me a chance Dara. I know I disappeared in the past, but now I’m back. I’m back for good. I’ve missed out on 5 years of Jaeyong’s life, I don’t want to miss any more of them," he said, never, I never want to let Jaeyong go. She needs me....and I probably need her even more.

“Honestly…I didn’t want you to even meet her…I was selfish and scared of what would happen if you two would meet…but I guess that was unavoidable,” she laughed lightly, “I…” she took a deep breath, “I’ll give you a chance Ji because I know that is what’s best for Jaeyong, I can’t just think about myself anymore and selfishly try to keep her away from you. She’s our child, but it’s ultimately up to her whether you’ll get your chance. Just let me be the one to tell her…I’ll tell her tonight.”

His face broke out into a huge grin as he tightened his hold on her and spun her around, “Thank you Dara. Thank you. This really is turning out to be one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had.”

“Okay, okay, now put me down birthday boy!” she giggled as he continued to spin her.

Once he placed her back onto the ground, he kissed her forehead again, “I meant what I said earlier Dara,” he said seriously, “I love you. I don’t think I ever stopped.”

“I-” she started to reply.

“Omma, I finished changing,” Jaeyong called as she bounced over.

Jiyong released her, dropping his arms to his sides, “This conversation isn’t over,” he teased as he saw Dara’s cheeks heat up, “You can’t escape from me this time my beautiful butterfly.”

 


 

After they ate dinner and cake, they played a few board games before Jiyong had to leave.

“Can’t you stay the night?” Jaeyong pouted as she watched him get up.

“I wish I could,” he sadly smiled as he pulled her in for a hug.

“Happy Birthday Jingyo-appa,” she said as she hugged him back, “Did your wish come true?” she asked excitedly as she looked up at him.

“Even more so than you can even imagine,” he smiled lovingly, My daughter, my cute, loveable daughter, he kneeled down once more to kiss her cheeks. These cheeks are all mine now, he giggled to himself, Well…mine and Dara’s, but mine nevertheless.

“What did you wish for?” she asked curiously.

“If I tell you, my wish might not come true,” he teased, “But…I suppose I can tell you this one time.”

Her eyes sparkled, “Yay!”

“You see,” he slowly sat back down and had her sit in his lap, “I wished that I’d see your omma again.”

“You met Omma before?” she asked in surprise.

“Yup,” he looked away from Jaeyong and stared into Dara’s eyes, “I’ve dreamed of seeing your omma again for the past 6 years. I’ve been dreaming of the opportunity to be able to see the love of my life again.”

Dara’s eyes widened at his words as she heard her heart pounding through her ears.

“Huh?” Jaeyong’s eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

“Baby,” Dara called, “Come here.”

Jaeyong got up and sat on Dara’s lap in a way so that she could see both Dara and Jiyong’s faces.

Dara took a deep breath before speaking, Jaeyong deserves to know, “Remember how I said your appa disappeared baby?”

Jaeyong looked at her with confusion and nodded. Appa?

“I found him,” Dara said slowly.

Jaeyong’s eyes widened in surprise, “You did?! You found Appa?! But what if he makes you said again?” she clung onto her mother with worry.

“Your appa would never do that,” Jiyong said softly, “Your appa loves your omma too much to hurt her again. He loves you too much to hurt her.”

Jaeyong looked over at Jiyong, Jingyo-appa knows appa???

“Baby,” Dara called Jaeyong’s attention back, “Your appa is a good person.”

Appa is a good person? He won’t hurt omma then? Jaeyong slowly nodded in understanding, “When can I meet him omma?”

“You already have,” Dara smiled.

“Huh?”

Dara’s gaze shifted from Jaeyong to Jiyong, “He’s right in front of you.”

Following Dara’s gaze, Jaeyong looked over at Jiyong then back to Dara in confusion. He’s right in front of me? She turned to Jiyong once more. Is Jingyo-appa…?

“Come here baby, can appa get another hug?” Jiyong asked with tears escaping his eyes.

 

 


A/N: Here's the new chapter! Hope you liked it, was it how you thought it'd be? Different? Good? Bad? I tried not to make it seemed like I rush things, but in the end I think that it's better they stop thinking of only themselves and really focus on what's important, their daughter. I hope that got across well...Let me know in the comment section below ^___^ Hope you also like the little snipbit of Dara and Jiyong's relationship before they broke up :) 

Thank you for reading, subscribing, upvoting, and commenting! :) reading your guys's comments have really encouraged me to write this story haha.

Chapter 7/8 done. Next chapter is the last chapter! Hehehe

Until Next Time! Pyong~