Chapter 13

Error

 

[Youngjae]

He slumped against the roller chair, his head resting against the top of the spine of the chair.

He sighed, at a loss of what to do.
It was then the sound of knocking broke him out of his trance.
Youngjae's head snapped up.

The person who stood before him gave me a playful smile, his face still looking as beautiful as always.
He stood there, in between his fingers held two small plastic bags.

"Himchan-hyung", Youngjae replied, sitting straight in reflex.
Himchan held his smile, and Youngjae gestured him to come in.
Himchan took a seat before the younger Professor and held up the plastic bags, patiently waiting for Youngjae who hastily clear a small section of his desk for Himchan's gift.

"I got you some coffee."

The scent of coffee then filled the room as Himchan placed the bags onto the desk, pulling out two cups of coffee before him.
"Thank you so much hyung", Youngjae answered with a shy smile as he took his cup.
Himchan smiled in reply before talking again.

"Haven't been seeing you for a while, Youngjae-ah. Yongguk and I have been rather worried. Are you doing alright?" Himchan asked, taking a sip out of his.
Youngjae forced a smile and nodded.
"I just needed some time off. I haven't been getting much sleep recently."

Himchan nodded his head in acknowledgement, before a mild silence followed.

"Hyung."
"Yes?"
"Have you been in love with someone, despite the fact that you know it's wrong?"
"Well, who hasn't honestly?"
"True, but-"
"But there is a catch to it, doesn't it?" Himchan cut him off, finishing the sentence.
Youngjae nodded.
"Love is a complicated thing, my dear dongsaeng. In the end, something has to be sacrificed no matter what the circumstances. But it's whether if the sacrifice is worth it or not", was the older Professor's reply.

Youngjae bit his lip, digesting what his elder had just told him.

"Anyway", Himchan continued. "What made you seem to sentimental about this topic all of the sudden?"
Youngjae tensed up slightly, racking through every corner of brain, trying to produce an answer that wouldn't seem to make him look suspicious to the elder.
"N-nothing", he ended up stuttering a little. "Just had a little problem with my feelings towards a certain someone."
Well he was telling the truth, at least half of it.

Himchan nodded again, sipping his coffee. "I see you found someone already. Well, do introduce me to him some time! I want to know what kind of guys you go for", Himchan chuckled, his rabbit teeth showing through his teethy smile.
Youngjae smiled nervously, taking his cup into his pale fingers, allowing the heat to simmer past his fingers for a few seconds before taking a sip.

Himchan took a glance at his watch, then standing up slowly, stretching a little before locking his gaze onto Youngjae.

"Well then, it's nice to see you up and about again. And yeah, there really isn't any specific reason that I dropped by. Just wanted to check up on you. If you need anything, feel free to approach me", Himchan smiled brightly.
The guilt at the bottom of Youngjae's stomach started to bubble. He felt so bad that he didn't directly tell Himchan the real problem, but instead beating around the bush.
Youngjae bid his Professor goodbye before he shut the door behind him.

Youngjae slumped back into his chair once more, feeling his head slightly stinging a little.
He sighed, then finishing the cup of coffee his hyung bought for him before continuing on his work.


"Are you doing alright, hyung?" a gentle voice resounding across the room, causing the professor to pause his writing to look up at the said person.
Junhong sat on the seat, facing his Professor.
"You didn't knock before you entered?"
Junhong shook his head. "I did. But you seemed to engrossed withwyour work that the knocks just fell into deaf ears."
Youngjae laughed nervously, slightly embarrassed.
Junhong simply smiled back.

"I heard Professor Kim talking to you just now. Did anything happen?"
Youngjae shook his head. "Himchan hyung came to check up on me", Youngjae replied, replaying his hyung's advice in his head.
"I see. Well that's a relief then", Junhong replied, slumping back relaxed on the chair.

"But what do you think I should do, Junhong?"
Junhong tilted his head slightly, his eyebrows furrowed, his eyes drifting in thought for an answer for his Professor.

"A robot that can display emotions. I've seriously never heard of it before. And a human falling for a robot. I thought all of those were in sci-fi romance novels", Junhong joked a little, causing Youngjae to furrow his eyebrows this time.
Youngjae sighed and chuckled at the fact that his assistant was making such a lame statement instead of answering his question.

"But I think what you should really do is tell what your gut tells you to? I mean love does have sacrifices.
But I've seen the way you looked at Daehyun, and how he looked at you, even though I brushed it off. I know he's more than just a robot to you."

Youngjae couldn't help but smile shyly.
Junhong was right.
He glanced up to the younger, their gazes locked, seeing his assistant with a look b with light and hope.
Youngjae sat up, straightening his spine, leaning towards Junhong.

"Junhong. There's something else I need to tell you."

 

//
The grass was green. Really green. Daehyun stared at Youngjae as Youngjae started to pick flowers off the ground.
He plucked out a few small dandelions that were found and gathered them on his shirt.
When Youngjae sat down on the grass patch, Daehyun followed suit, feeling the softness of the grass blades between his small fingers.

"What are you doing?" Daehyun asked, leaning closer to Youngjae, peering down at Youngjae's small hands, which seemed to be threading the small dandelions into a bracelet.
Youngjae didn't reply, instead he grabbed Daehyun's hand, gently tugging it towards himself.
He loosened his grip and tied it around Daehyun's wrist.
Daehyun looked up at the other child, a smile spreading across his plump lips.
"It's so pretty, Youngjae-ah. But why did you make it?"
Redness crept up Youngjae's milky face.
"It was really nice meeting you, Daehyun. I wanted to give you something special for being such a wonderful friend", Youngjae replied, hugging his knees.
Daehyun seemed to be in a daze for a second. But he reached out and wrapped his arms around the other boy, his head on Youngjae's shoulder.
Youngjae was taken aback for a moment, but his hands crept behind Daehyun, on his back, willingly returning his hug.

"Thank you, Youngjae."

//
[Daehyun]

I woke up with fragments of another dream lingering in my head.
It seemed as though, day by day, more pieces were coming together.
The thought of it made me even more curious.

By the time I had awoken, the side of the bed was empty,
I sighed, burying my head against the pillows, shutting my eyes again, trying to lure myself back into slumber.

"Daehyunnie, are you awake?" a voice that I had grown so familiar with caused my eyes to flutter open.
I sat up, my eyes searching for the source of the voice.
"You've been asleep for quite long already, you know?" Master commented, walking into the room, with bowl between his delicate fingers.

I couldn't really remember what I did after I woke up from my sleep. It was so vague but the only things that I could recall was taking a nap at three and those weird dreams that were slowly fading off.
It was already five-thirty by then.

"I made some soup. Sit up properly", he instructed. I sat up slowly, the blurred vision slowly became back to normal.
The first thing that hit me was the aroma of the soup. It was then I realised that I was starving.
I gingerly reached out to take the bowl from Master's hands.

But he moved the bowl away from my hands.
"It's hot."
"I won't get scalded, Master. I'm a robot."
Master's lips turned into a thin line, and he handed the bowl over cautiously.

As I savoured the flavour of the aromatic soup, Master started to speak.
"I'm gonna bring you to the lab tomorrow for maintenence."

I nodded in acknowledgement, finishing my soup.
"Thank you for the soup, Master. I really liked it", I smiled brightly.
I swore I saw a little tint of pink staining his cheeks when I complimented him.

//
I sat onto the metallic desk, my sensors feeling the cold metal stinging pleasantly on my skin.
I was wearing a teal surgical gown.

Master instructed me to lie down on the desk, and to stay still. I did as what I was told.

As I did, at the corner of my eye, I spotted Junhong -ssi walking in, greeting me with a smile once his eyes met mine.
I smiled back.

It was then Master's voice pulled me back to him.
"Daehyun-ah, we're gonna start your maintenance. We're gonna switch you off."

"Alright", I replied.
Before I knew it, I was out like a light.
The last thing I could remember was Master my hair gently.

//
I woke up, feeling rather energised. I guess they replaced the parts that was needed to be replaced in my vessel.
But when I awakened, Master was nowhere to be found.
I sat up, only spotting Junhong in view.
As I part my lips to speak, Junhong interrupted.
"Youngjae hyung went to his office to file his documents. Don't worry. He'll be back soon", he calmly spoke, as if he read my mind.

I nodded, smiling in relief.

"Daehyun-ah", Junhong suddenly spoke.
"Yeah?"
"Please take care of Youngjae hyung well. He's always so busy and all. He's always talking about you to me you know?"
I tilted my head, slightly surprised.

"Yeah! Always with that grin on his face", he continued, smiling, shifting his hands into the pockets of his lab coat, leaning against one of the metal benches, but his gaze never leaving mine.

"He does?" I replied stupidly.
Junhong chuckled as he nodded.

"Youngjae hyung, he definitely sees you more than just a robot."