Fateful Proposal

Forced into the Fateful Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a quiet ride in HyunJoong's car. Young Saeng had a lot on his mind. Thrown completely by the ambivalence of his feelings _ relief at the stability in Hyungjun's career, and the easing of so much pressure; fear of how precarious his good fortune was and what the eventual cost might be _ Young Saeng struggled to regain his mental composure.

By the time Young Saeng has succeeded they were turning down an unknown lane which does not lead to his house. " Where are we going?" Young Saeng demanded in sudden alarm.

HyunJoong's profile darkly austere, the thick sweep of eyelashes against his hard cheek only emphasising his arrogant masquilinity, he curtly answered, "home."

For some reason that monosyllable scared Saeng. He shook his head, "no, I want to go to my own place." HyunJoong spoke in a decisive tone, " We're going to my place to have lunch, and talk." It was a battle wits and wills in which HyunJoong had the advantage. Knowing it was useless to argue, Young Saeng relapsed into silence.

After a relatively short time they turned between high gateposts topped by a pair of fierce-looking stone guardians. It was a sophisticated bunglow which was absolutely spectacular. The bunglow was two-storey, L-shaped, substantially built, and charming. The canopy of trees and the privacy of its garden giving a country feel to it in the heart of Seoul.

HyunJoong opened the beautifully burnished wooden door and led Saeng across a wood-panelled hall and into a large, well-decorated with very modern gadgets, living-kitchen. It was a most attractive room, with a refectory table and a comfortable chintzy suite. Bowls of flowers stood in the windowsills and the room heater was on giving a warm atmosphere despite the chill outside.

Perhaps beacuse HyunJoong seemed so very masquiline... so dangerous and untamed, despite his veneer of sophistication... Young Saeng hadn't thought of him as a man who would appreciate, or fit into, a cosy domestic setting. An amused twist to his lips that suggested he knew precisely what Saeng was thinking, he remarked, "I've always preferred this room to the more formal sitting-room." HyunJoong put a covered tray on the table, muttering, "My house-keeper always spends his weekend with his brother, who is an invalid, so its a cold lunch on our knees."

His appetite virtually non-existent, Young Saeng managed to force down a chicken sandwich and some salad. By the time he had finished, the percolater was bubbling, the smell of freshly ground coffee filling the kitchen. When HyunJoong had poured the fragrant brew, they drank in silence until, seated opposite, HyunJoong's brilliant gaze resting on his pale, tense face, HyunJoong spoke his words, "Well, Young Saeng?"

Young Saeng's voice calm and disciplined, belying the way his heart had started to race with suffocating speed, he asked, "Are you expecting me to thank you for what you've done for my Omma and Hyungjun?"

"Were you planning to?"

"It depends on why you did it."

HyunJoong raised his brows and queried ironically, "You don't believe it was out of the goodwill?"

"No." Young Saeng sounded very determined.

"Then you know why." HyunJoong said looking straight into Young Saeng's slightly irritating eyes.

Oh, yes, he knew. He knew the inevitable truth all too well. Still he fought the knowledge, and said, "you have gone a great deal of trouble and expense."

HyunJoong's smile deepened and told in firm voice, " I'm sure it will be worth it."

"Don't bet on it," Saeng said sharply. " If you're hoping I'll be grateful enough to fall into your arms..."

Head tilted to one side, HyunJoong appeared to be considering the matter. After a moment, He said, " I hardly hoped for something like that."

"Then what were you hoping for?"

HyunJoong got on his feet and moved towards the window. In a very coaxing voice he said the next words, "A chance to start over, to make you dislike me less."

"Huh!" Young Saeng put together his disdainful words, " listen carefully and take it into that head of your's... I'll never ever like you. Nothing you can do or say will ever change my mind. You're just wasting your time."

HyunJoong's face tightened as though Young Saeng's words struck him, and fury at his scornful rejection, although carefully controlled, was very much palpable.

Full of blind hatred, and suddenly scared to death of the anger and hostility he had aroused, Saeng jumped to his feet and headed for the door. But before he could open it, HyunJoong's hand reached over his shoulder and held it shut. His voice, like velvet-covered steel, whispered in Saeng's ear, " Don't leave while we are not finished here."

"I want to go home. Ha Eun is alone."

"No. You're going nowhere. You're staying right here where I want you. And, speaking of Ha Eun, Mrs. Oh is with her and Hyungjun just texted me that he is off to your place."

Young Saeng helplessly turned around. HyunJoong's face showed signs of pure rage and he felt himself trembling with fear. Somehow he managed to say coldly, " I don't take orders from anyone."

"Not anyone. Me. From now on you're going to do exactly as I say." HyunJoong's authoritative voice almost sounded ruthless and demanding.

Young Saeng's back pressed against the door, he spat at HyunJoong, " You must be crazy to think that..."

"I don't think my dear Saengie. I know."

HyunJoong's certainty shook Saeng deeply. Still he defied him. " I've no intension of taking any orders from you. You can't make me."

"Don't you care what happens to your brother, Hyungjun and his sister Ha Eun?"

Young Saeng trembled and said in a shaky voice, "you know perfectly well I care."

"Then, in order to keep things the way they are, you do as I say and thus reconsider."

"What do you mean?" Saeng asked unsteadily.

" You know exactly what I mean. You see, I have really overlooked all the capability and seniority factor, to assign your brother his new job and position. And, this job is your brother's dream job. Economically too he'll have all the freedom, especially which is much of a requirement for him now that he has to take care of Ha Eun too. If he does his job well then there will be no trouble for him at all. But if I decide to

Please log in to read the full chapter