Bitter-Sweet Encounter

Forced into the Fateful Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Just two days later they started for home, landing at Incheon airport late on a Sunday morning. Spring, though cool, was in full bloom, and Seoul was looking its vibrant best. Young Saeng was apparently content with the familiarity of their native country. HyunJoong maintained a stoic face throughout their journey till they arrived at HyunJoong's mansion.

KyuJong, HyunJoong's housekeeper, was waiting to greet them. If Kyu thought they were strangely quiet for returning honeymooners, he kept it to himself, asking merely, "do you want anything to eat?"

"No thanks," HyunJoong said. "We had an early lunch on the plane."

"Well then, if its all right, I would like to spend the weekend with my brother as usual. Can I?"

"Sure. You get off." HyunJoong said and added sardonically, "I've a wife to accompany me now."

HyunJoong carried the luggage upstairs, and without asking put Young Saeng's case in the bedroom he'd used before the wedding.

At the door, HyunJoong turned to say, "A while later, I intend to to go to office, to catch up a few things...unless you need me?"

Young Saeng looked at him in the face, eyes full of derision and oddly a dark flash crept up his cheekbones. Without a word, HyunJoong left, closing the door behind him with a kind of finality.

Young Saeng went to his room and started unpacking. He had finished unpacking and was about to take a shower, when he heard HyunJoong's light footsteps returning down the corridoor. On an impulse, Saeng opened the door and asked, "what will you like for dinner?"

HyunJoong looked surprised, then in a cool dismissive voice, answered, "I'll be working late, so I'll probably eat out."

Calling himself all kind of a fool for feeling wounded because HyunJoong had refused the offer he had made, Young Saeng went to take a shower. Knowing he was far too restless to catch up sleep, and unwilling to stay around this huge mansion alone with his thoughts, he decided to pay a visit to Hyungjun and Ha Eun.

Hyugjun and Ha Eun were delighted to see Young Saeng. Hyungjun's first question was, "Isn't HyunJoong hyung with you?"

"He's gone into office," Young Saeng answered lightly.

"Is he coming later?"

"No...I only popped in for an hour or so."

They talked about many things in the following, mostly about the lavish honeymoon at Hawaii. Even Ha Eun found Hawaii ecstatic and made a vow to go there when she grows up.

"Talking of honeymoon...how were the nights, spent with HyunJoong hyung? Was he romantic? Good in bed?" Hyungjun winked at Young Saeng suggestively.

"Hyungjun, spare me, please. Consider Ha Eun. Seriously, how shameless you can be?" Young Saeng told showing a hint of mock anger. But there was an evident blush creeping up his cheek making him looking adorable and so-in-love. 

But Saeng checked himself and tried his best to avoid Hyungjun's further querry about his and HyunJoong's life. After a while they gave up that topic and moved on to Saeng's mother's health. According to Hyungjun, she was doing well and within a week she was to be released from the hospital. As Ha Eun was no problem with Mrs. Oh around, so Hyungjun pressed to keep Saeng's mom with them, in order not to disrupt Saeng's new marriage.

It was after six that Young Saeng decided it was time to go. Hyungjun asked him to stay for dinner but Saeng declined. Then Hyungjun told that Jungmin visited two days back and that he might drop in a while later as he said during his previous visit.

"By the way, Jungmin was stunned when I told him you were married. So much so that I half wondered if he was about to propose you soon..."

Young Saeng chuckled and gave Ha Eun a parting hug and ruffled Hyungjun's hair and took leave.

Young Saeng started to walk in the direction of the nearest bus stop because he didn't bring a car. Deep in thought, Saeng didn't notice a red car drawn into the kerb until a window rolled down and a familiar voice called, "Young Saeng..."

"Jungmin...Anneyong..." He smiled at Jungmin with genuine warmth.

"Young Saeng..." he said again. Then, almost stammering, "H-how nice to see you..."

"Its nice to see you too." And it was. Ordinary, kind, energetic, uncomplicated Park Jungmin. A man Saeng was at home with, who didn't see his heart pounding, who posed no threat.

Jungmin said, "I was off to visit your place to see Hyungjun."

"I've just left. Hyungjun mentioned your visit and also said that you might drop by."

"Yes...look, are you in a hurry? Then we could have talked. A lot happened in the past few days."

"Well, no...we can talk." Young Saeng said with a slight smile.

Jungmin picked up Young Saeng and drove to Starbucks. It was a bit crowded but they managed to get a table. While they settled down, the idea of having the office of Kim Corporations nearby faintly crossed Saeng's mind and this brought an uneasy feeling in his mind. Still, Saeng pushed this thought at the back of his mind for the time being.

As soon as the waiter departed with their order, Jungmin burst out raggedly, "Why didn't you tell me that you were about to get married?"

"Well, it happened so suddenly..." Young Saeng said somewhat helplessly.

"I don't understand why you married him of all people." Almost accusingly, Jungmin said, "As far as I remember, you didn't express much fondness towards him." 

"At first I didn't. But then..." Not knowing what to say anymore, Saeng hesitated.

"He was interested in you that very first night. Even before he came over I noticed he was watching you. I should have known he was upto something when he offered me those damned tickets. But I never imagined..." Jungmin broke off as the waiter returned with their order.

When they were alone again, he asked gloomily, "I suppose he swept you off your feet?" Saeng just gave a smile in response.

Suddenly, Jungmin said, "that's what I should have done. I've loved you for ages... I was hoping you'd marry me one day."

"Oh, Jungmin, I'm sorry!" Impulsively, Young Saeng took his hand and gave it a squeeze. "But even if...if things had been different, I coudn't have married you. I consider you as a brother and a good friend."

Jungmin gripped his hand almost painfully. "But sometimes your attitude made me think you liked me too. I guess it was my mistake."

"Jungmin, that wasn't intentional. But I hope you meet your better half soon. You are a nice guy. You definitely will meet a person who will be returning all your feelings."

Jungmin, with his dogged persistence, went over the same ground again and again. It was almost eight before Saeng could escape. Suddenly afraid of the consequences if HyunJoong should happen to see them together, Saeng insisted on going home by a cab.

Young Saeng said awkwardly, "it might be best if you don't tell about this meeting to anyone."

"Don't worry! He's not likely to be jealous of me." Jungmin said bitterly to that.

That's all you know, Young Saeng thought, as the cab drew away.

When Young Saeng returned to the mansion it was dark and silent. Clearly, HyunJoong hadn't returned yet. Hardly knowing whether to be pleased or sorry, he went straight to bed. He didn't even eat dinner. Young Saeng, though utterly weary, found himself, listening for HyunJoong, unable to sleep. At what point he fell asleep he never knew. But some time while he was s

Please log in to read the full chapter