Bolt From the Blue

Forced into the Fateful Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

HyunJoong might not love him, but he made it abundantly clear that he wanted Young Saeng nevertheless. Often at the back of his mind was the thought that HyunJoong's obsession might soon be over.

It was almost six weeks now since they'd first made love in Hawaii on their honeymoon... Six weeks. The realisation was suddenly branded into Young Saeng's mind while he was taking a shower, along with the fact that for the past few days he'd felt a little queasy. Young Saeng had put the slight upset down to some seafood that hadn't seemed quite fresh, but now the suspicion that it could have had a different cause grew in his mind...

The warmth that filled him at the thought that he might be carrying HyunJoong's baby was almost instantly replaced by fear and apprehension. What would HyunJoong's reaction be? Their bargain tied Saeng to him for at least a year, so he was bound to find out. Perhaps he would be angry? Try to make Saeng get rid of the baby? Well, Saeng would not. Nothing would induce him to do such a thing.

After his own insecure childhood where his importance was always less than his sister, if he did have a baby he wanted it to be born into a happy home, to enjoy the stability of a lasting marriage, to have parents who loved each other and stayed together. Not be the outcome of a strange, passionate relationship that was almost certainly doomed to end in misery.

The spell of fime weather appear to be coming to a end, and a fine mist was descending as HyunJoong drove the BMW through Seoul's early evening traffic to Young Saeng's old appartment where Hyungjun and Ha Eun resided at the moment.

They were met at the door with a hearty welcome. Hyungjun hugged his brother warmly, then he shook hands with HyunJoong. Meanwhile, Young Saeng took Ha Eun in his embrace lovingly. Ha Eun kissed Young Saeng on his cheek. Seeing that, HyunJoong pulled a doleful face, "Don't I get a kiss, Ha Eun? Do you not like this oppa anymore?"

Smiling, she went to HyunJoong and kissed him too. HyunJoong smiled at her widely and his bright smile left Young Saeng in somewhat of an awe.

"How lovely to see you both. KyuJong says you've spent the last two weeks travelling and giving each other company, so tell me everything you've been doing..."

HyunJoong gave Young Saeng a smiling sidelong glance before raising a dark brow at Hyungjun and asking, "Everything?" As the colour flooded to Saeng's cheeks, Hyungjun laughed in return, "Well, perhaps not everything..."

Time passed quickly and the evening proved to be such a success that it was quite late before they got up to go. Having said their thanks and goodbyes they were on the point of leaving, when the telephone rang harshly in the drawing room. Hyungjun asked them to wait a moment and went in to answer the call.

One phonecall can truly turn our lives upside down. That's what happened after Hyungjun came out answering the fateful phonecall. Call it perfect or imperfect timing, but that one phonecall was enough to change the course of the wedded couple's life for better or worse.

The call came from the hospital where Young Saeng's mother was admitted. The authorities called to inform that her condition had worsened and that she had only a few hours at the most to live. Family was what she needed beside her at the moment. They even informed that she had been taking the name of a certain Young Saeng whom she desparately wants to see before she closes her eyes one last time.

Young Saeng was on the verge of breaking down hearing the news about his mother. It was HyunJoong who pulled him up and offered to ride them to the hospital. Hyungjun and Young Saeng drove with HyunJoong soon after Mrs. Oh appeared to look out for Ha Eun. Neither of them spoke and the ride was silent except for the occasional sniffs coming from Young Saeng whose beautiful eyes were flooding wth tears .

Young Saeng rushed inside once HyunJoong pulled at the hospital. Hyungjun also followed. HyunJoong took his time to arrive at the private room where Saeng's mother was currently in. He, though very much wanted to accompany Young Saeng, decided to stay outside the room and give the family some privacy.

Inside the Room:

"Young Saengie, my baby...I-I'm a bad Omma who...w-who c-couldn't look out for you when you needed me. Me and your Appa both were too much into your sister and we were not there for you, despite you being our youngest child." Young Saeng could only shake his head in denial while pouring his eyes out.

Since the death of Mi Young and his father, Young Saeng's mother went into a dazed state after her first heart attack. It was as if she was stuck in the past. She never talked much. Then one day, after Hyungjun began to stay with them, she suddenly addressed Saeng as Mi Young and after that she refused to correct herself and never acknowledged Saeng. When consulted with a psychiatrist, he said that shock of Mi Young's and her husband's death had forced her into a trauma where she is mistaking persons and sticking to the past. At first it pained Young Saeng to watch his Omma suffer like that but then he got used to it gradually. Also his job forced him to stay in Seoul while Hyungjun stayed with his Omma in their ancestral home at Jeollabuk-do. Later when they moved to Seoul, Saeng sometimes used to visit his mother because he didn't want to stress his Omma.

Now hearing his mother addressing him as her son, and not the deceased daughter, Saeng could not help but cry holding his mother's weak hand in his own, knowing his happiness is short-lived as a of lightning in an expanse of cloudy sky.

"My son, I missed my days with you. You would have helped me come out of the sorrow if only I've given you a chance but being the bad mother I am, I..."

"No, Omma, you are the best mother in the world. I love you, Omma. I-I m-missed you s-so much."

"I am sorry, Saengie." Young Saeng's mother took a breath and spoke, "There's something you should know." She was struggling to put her thoughts in words but still she spoke, "There in our house, in my cupboard, is a wooden box in my locker containing some letters from your sister which she wrote few days before her death. I remember how you admired her when you were young. So, I'm telling you about it. If you want to read those, you know where to find them. B-But I'd rather you not because its time for all of us to finally let go, and that includes you."

"I'll read it before I burn them and finally let go of her," answered Saeng.

Suddenly, Saeng's Omma's breathing became faster and Saeng panicked. Hyungjun was there beside him all along and he rushed to call the doctors.

Young Saeng pleaded, "don't leave me, Omma. Please don't..."

The doctors along with HyunJoong came inside. But it seemed Young Saeng's mother's time was over. Within a few minutes she expired with her last words addressed to her son which were, "I love you, my son. P-Please f-for-forgive m-me."

Expected! It was expected! The loss of his mother was an expected one but still Young Saeng could not help but drown in grief. HyunJoong, all along held him and tried to provide solace. Young Saen

Please log in to read the full chapter