6

Love Story

Two year old Yuna called me Dada. I laughed and told her to say it again with my camera out. But when do children ever listen to you anyway? Time goes by fast when you have a kid. She keeps you busy until you forget the time and then most of your day is gone. Thankfully Yuna wasn't at all a whiny kid so the day usually goes by smoothly. 

Also, as I've predicted, she loves Winnie the Pooh. She cannot sleep without that yellow bear beside her. I keep playing her shows found on the Internet, I feed her with the merchandise utensils, and I've even bought her Winnie the Pooh outfits along the way. I think she's beginning to like Piglet and I seriously hope she loves Winnie the Pooh until the day she can fit into those shoes I've bought her. I think they're still on the top shelf of her closet, though I'm not sure anymore. It has been a long time.

Since Jia and I both work during the day, we had to leave Yuna with her parents. Their place was out of our way but it was better than hiring a babysitter. Plus, her parents liked to spend time with her. They love kids as much as Jia does. Sometimes, we even leave her at Woohyun's place when he's not busy with work.

One day, I finished work early and was on my way to pick up Yuna at her grandparents'. Before that, I had to drop by the supermarket to buy her grandma some things so I headed to the supermarket near their place. I was about to go in when I noticed Sajangnim walking out with her cart so I called her out. I approached her with a smile. "It's surprising to see you here."

"Why? Can't an old lady come here to shop to make food for her grandkids?" she joked with her brows raised.

I scratched the back of my neck and smiled sheepishly. "It's not that..."

She laughed. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm buying some things for my in-laws before I pick up my daughter." Then, her smile disappeared and her lips formed a thin line. "Come with me for a bit." She headed to her car. I opened my mouth to ask why, but decided against it. The way her expression looked meant she was serious so I followed her. We ended up at her apartment. When I entered, there were many talismans and supernatural decorations (should I say?) all over the walls. I placed her grocery bags on the table before looked around some more. It was quite interesting to say the least.

"Over here," she called. She had a photo album on her lap. I sat beside her in the couch and asked, "What's this?"

She opened the front cover of the book. There were pictures of a young boy on the front pages. "This is a photo album of my son. I didn't take many pictures so this is the only album I have of him." She flipped through the book, revealing mostly profile pictures of him. There weren't any funny pictures nor were there any pictures with his dad.

"Where's his dad? It's only you and him."

"He doesn't have a dad. I was drunk," she laughed. I opened my mouth but didn't know how to respond. "Do you know why fortune tellers don't have family?" she asked while flipping through the album. He looked like he was in his teens by then. "Because we always want to read our spouse's and children's future. And because we do that, we try to fix it for them. I did that a lot with my son. I basically guided his life. I made him the perfect person; he never got in trouble, he aced all his tests and exams, he got a job, he got married and he has a child."

She flipped to the last page where it showed a picture of her son in his early 30's, his wife and his newborn. There were many blank pages left in the album so I figured she hadn't added in new photos yet. "It was like any other day. I was reading my glass ball for my son because I wanted to know what gender my grandchild would be. But I saw nothing. It was black and I knew what it meant. It meant my child was going to die. The ball didn't show me why, when or how so I checked every day. Three years later when my grandson turned three, I saw it. My son was going to die on a certain day. Fortune tellers don't do very well with deaths. That's more for shamans, so I could only see the date. I told him to stay inside that entire day. He did as I said and guess what? He died in his apartment."

"W-wha...how?" I stuttered.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning. Even if he went to work that day, he still would have died. There was a large fire at the firm he worked at. Death was his future. Look, Sunggyu…what I did mean to tell you is this: my grandson lost his dad at a young age and he still cries for him. Your daughter is already at the age where she can remember. She cries for you sometimes, doesn't she? For her sake, make her forget - make her forget she ever had a father."

"How can I do that? I love her, how am I supposed to make her forget? I can't." I shook my head, refusing to do so.

"Sunggyu...my glass ball says your future is black but I can't tell you the exact date. I'm telling you this because whenever I see my grandson ask for his dad, my heart breaks. He still remembers him and it's already been two years. If you don't want your daughter to cry for you, so make her forget. If you don't your wife to cry listening to your daughter, make her forget."

I arrived home with a heavy heart and a dizzy head. I didn't know what to do. She never steered me wrong before. She was the one who saved me in the first place. If I hadn't seen her before my aunt came, I would have been dead. Then, it struck me. Death was my fate and I couldn't avoid it the second time. I carried a sleeping Yuna to her room and gently placed her down in her crib. I rubbed soothing circles on her stomach as I watched her. To my surprise, tears started to form so I looked up to keep them from falling. Out of nowhere, I started to laugh at the ridiculous situation. I was being punished but for what deed? Was I being punished for escaping death? Was I being punished in the steed of my biological parents who left me at the orphanage? What is it?

When Jia arrived back, I greeted her with hesitance. I was supposed to make her forget me. My daughter was enough but to make my love forget me, too? "Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"No," I replied. "Go get changed and rest. I'll make dinner tonight."

"Really?" She wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her chin on my chest, looking up at me. I was stiff under her embrace. How could I stop the fluttering in my stomach whenever she touched me? We’ve been together for so many years and I still felt the way I felt when I first dated her. How was I supposed to do it, I asked.

"What's up with you today? When I tell you to help, you're always complaining."

"You should go and do as I say before I change my mind," I told her. She let go and cradled my face with her hands. I almost cried and to stop myself I leaned down to give her a kiss. Two kisses. Three. And then I couldn't hold it in anymore. I captured her lips in a passionate kiss. I poured all my love into that kiss which I haven't done since we tried to conceive Yuna. I gave her one last kiss and leaned my forehead against hers.

"How about we just order take out?" she suggested and I nodded replying, "Yuna's asleep."

One last time, I promised myself. Then I'll really let go.

From the next day on, I left for work early and came back late. I barely saw Jia or Yuna and I definitely did not see Woohyun. At some point, I leaned towards alcohol to forget them and become numb from all my problems. Jia yelled at me for being irresponsible. She yelled at me for forgetting to pick Yuna up and yelled at me for not picking up her calls. She cried in front of me for being drunk. She cried because I didn’t tell her what was wrong with me. I also cried because I wasn’t drunk enough.

One day I got so drunk that I brought a lady home. When I woke up, I was so mortified. I couldn't believe myself! How did I end up so drunk that I actually brought a girl home?  I jolted when I thought about Jia, waking the girl up beside me but then I lied back down realizing it was worth it. Why should I care? I shouldn’t because it was for the better. She noticed my changes and seeing me with a girl on the bed we shared must have scarred her and that was all for the better. Both of our hearts were breaking but that was all for the better.


Hello, I haven't updated in a while. I hope you don't mind the short and rushed plot. Keep in mind it's in Sunggyu's POV. The reason there were so many flashbacks is because he cherishes them. He doesn't really want to remember the bad memories, which is why he narrates it in such a rushed fashion.

Also, the story is coming to an end soon! Hope you're not all heartbroken yet!