2

Love Story

"Why are you late to our wedding?" I scowled at Woohyun once the ceremony was over. Once we said our vows and exchanged rings, we went around greeting and chatting with our guests. I had a chat with Woohyun first. "Sorry, there was traffic."

"It's because you left late. There were guests who came in an hour before the ceremony. You should have been here two hours ago!"

"Sorry! At least I made it, okay? No harm done." He shrugged and walked to his assigned table to eat. I sighed and shook my head. Although Woohyun is kind, he is still immature at times. I began to go around the room with Jia by my side, thanking the guests for coming. It was a small ceremony with close friends and Jia's parents. The night was short but it was still one of the best days of my life. I got to see Jia in a beautiful wedding dress and we were announced husband and wife. Everything that day was amazing and perfect. I could relive that day over and over again if I could.

After the wedding ceremony, we headed back home to our apartment. It was the same apartment we used to live in during college except Woohyun had moved out for a place of his own. After we kicked our shoes off, we immediately dragged our feet to the bed and laid down. Although it was a fun night, it was really exhausting.

I turned to my side and watched Jia who laid down on her stomach. I wedged my hand between her face and the blanket so her cheek would lie on the palm of my hand. She opened one eye and looked at me before closing them. "What?" she asked.

"You'll smudge your makeup on the duvet," I answered.

"You just implied I would ruin the duvet, didn't you?"

"Maybe." I implied that the duvet would smudge away her pretty makeup and she knew that. I gushed over it all night, telling her how her makeup made her look like a goddess.

"I'm tired," she sighed.

"Me, too," I sighed. I closed my eyes and we stayed like that for a while. We almost fell asleep but I stirred and told her to wash up. "Can't we just stay like this for three days? Just stay inside and eat instant noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Movie marathons all day long and sleep until we can't open our eyes any longer," she mumbled, half asleep.

I chuckled and patted her back. "We can do that for tomorrow. Let's skip the breakfast and we'll have ramen for lunch and take out for dinner. We'll watch movies all day but our curfew will be twelve. We leave at ten the next day for our honeymoon and before that we have to submit our legal papers."

She nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

The next afternoon we did just that. We slept through the whole morning, waking up past noon. We skipped breakfast and headed straight to our ramen lunch. Then, we closed the blinds tightly, making sure the room was dark as it could possibly be in the afternoon, and had a movie marathon. We watched all sorts of movies that day. We watched romance, comedy, horror, sci-fi, historical - everything. We probably dozed off here and there and had our take out dinner in-between. That night was the most relaxing and care free day of our lives. We never had such a day like that. It would either be school, work, or Woohyun bothering us but that day we were stress free.

The next day we were on our honeymoon. We didn't plan to go anywhere far because we only had four days off of work and we agreed we didn't want to waste a day sitting on the airplane. So, naturally we decided either Jeju Island or Osaka and we chose the latter. There weren't many opportunities to travel outside the country so we used our honeymoon to travel to Japan.

"Osaka!" she called excitedly once we excited the airport. "Oppa! Look! A pink car!" She started calling me "oppa" during university. It was out of nowhere because she called me by my name all of high school. I asked her why she wanted to address me as "oppa" and she only shrugged and said, "I want to". She switches between the two, depending on her mood.

I pulled her back. She was getting a bit too close to the road. "We have that back home. Let's grab a taxi and head to our hotel. We have a lot of tours to do." She nodded and grabbed her suitcase before she stopped. "When did your suitcase have a red piece of yarn attached to it?"

"We attached it this morning, remember?"

She shook her head. "We don't own yarn. It's ribbon that we attached to it." I looked at our suitcases and she was right. Hers had a red ribbon while mine had a red piece of yarn. We quickly headed back to the airport to find my suitcase. I'm really bad at small details and it's a good thing Jia was there. It's a wonder why I became a dentist.

"There it is!" Jia pointed to the suitcase that was just ahead of us. It looked like the lady who had my suitcase recognized hers too. "Sorry," I apologized in English as I pushed her suitcase towards her.

"No, I'm sorry," she shook her head and passed me my suitcase. "The red string looked the same." She smiled wide and I could only smile back politely.

"Yeobo!" We all looked up at the familiar language at the Osaka airport. "Did you find your luggage?" the man, who I assumed was her husband, asked.

She nodded. "Yeah. This couple had it."

"You're Korean? We are, too!" Jia exclaimed.

"Oh, really?" she said with a smile. "I'm assuming you two are here on a business trip?"

"We're on our honeymoon," I said.

She clapped. "Oh my, what a coincidence! We are, too! We held our ceremony just last week. We were supposed to be here last week but my husband got sick." She made a face and looked at her husband as he shrugged.

"Where will you be going first?" she asked me. "I'm assuming you'll drop your bags off at your hotel?"

I nodded. "Yes, we will. Thanks and sorry about the luggage." I grabbed Jia's hand and left the airport. We arrived at our hotel. Jia searched for the hotel all night one day. She said she didn't want a normal hotel that we had back home. She wanted a more traditional hotel and I couldn't agree with her more. The place looked absolutely amazing. It was more of a traditional villa than a hotel. Our room was a whole separate area from the reception hall. We had our own small yard with a pond, the villa had a sliding glass opaque door, the windows were made out of wood, and we had an amazing view of the recreational park just behind the hotel. The interior was just as amazing as the exterior. The shower was the best area. It looked like a bright sauna as sunlight was shining down on it.

"You've picked a great place to stay," I complimented.

"I know," she said and I only smiled. "Let's go eat. I'm starving." We left our suitcases there unpacked and headed out towards the cafeteria for a late lunch. When we left our gate, we heard someone call out in Korean. We looked around and saw the couple we met at the airport.

"Wow, I didn't think we'd meet again!" the lady exclaimed. "And we are neighbours for our stay, what a coincidence!"

"It is," I commented as I nodded at her husband in greeting.

"I didn't get your names. My name is Yuri and my hubby's name is Rubin."

"Nice to meet you. My name is Sunggyu." "My name is Jia," we introduced. "We were just heading out to eat. Would you like to join us?"

"Of course!" she said happily. "I heard the food is really delicious." She grabbed my arm and pulled me away, catching me off guard. I looked back at Jia who smiled and then talked to Rubin. I had no choice but to keep up with her pace as I didn't want to seem rude and pull myself away. She was right; the food was amazing. There were fresh seafood at the buffet table, savoury and juicy steak, sweet cocktails and amazing sides. I never had this much of delicious food in my life. I can even remember the taste of it.

During dinner I couldn't even make a conversation with Jia because Yuri kept talking to me. She was telling me how extravagant her wedding was and all I could do was nod. I didn't want to tell her of our wedding ceremony. It was too personal of a topic to speak with a stranger. "What will you be doing after dinner?" she asked.

"Uh..." I glanced at Jia who was laughing with Rubin. I squinted at him for a second before replying, "We'll be in our room. It's been a long day."

"We planned to roam the city," Jia piped. I gave her a look and she mouthed, "what" with a shrug.

Yuri clapped. "That's amazing! We were planning to do the same thing. Let's go together."

"Don't you want to spend some alone time with your husband?" I asked, not wanting to spend time the night with her. She was slowly getting on my nerves.

"Oh, we're not officially wife and husband yet. We only did the ceremony and have yet to submit legal papers." I stared at her for a full three seconds before responding "okay" and continued on with my food. She continued conversing with me while I was trying to eat and listen in on Jia's conversation. She was quite annoying but I was able to stay calm.

After dinner we headed back to our respective hotel rooms. "Why did you say that?" I asked once I closed the door.

"Say what?" she asked.

"Why did you correct me? I was trying to lie and avoid her."

"I didn't catch on, okay?"

"You didn't realize she was constantly talking to me?" She shook her head. "Oh, because you were too busy talking to her not-legal-husband. If you had stopped talking to him in the first place and tried to make conversation with me you would have noticed she was gonna pounce on me any minute!"

"But she didn't."

"Jia!"

She laughed and sat down on the bed, patting down on the space beside her. I sighed and sat down beside her. She crossed her legs and turned her body towards me. "I'm sorry I didn't notice that you two had such a deep conversation." I gave her a look. "Sorry. I meant one-sided conversation. I was really interested in Rubin's story. Hey, did you know he-"

"I don't want to hear about it," I interrupted once she started to get excited.

"Right. Sorry. I didn't think of it much because I knew she wasn't going to steal you from me anyway. Sure, she can pounce on you but you know how to kick her off. Plus, although you think Yuri is infatuated by you, she and her not-legal-husband love each other very much. I know because that's what he kept talking about before he went on with stories about his travels."

"You think she is infatuated with me? How about you know she is?"

"Oh, come on! She clearly has no interest in you. She was practically boasting about her wedding ceremony and how extravagant it was. She just wanted to show off how rich she is."

I raised my brow, "I thought you said you didn't listen in our conversation."

"I heard bits and pieces. I must say Kim Sunggyu, do you really think you're that good of a man to have a married woman see you in that kind of light?"

"And what kind of man do you see me as?" I asked as I leaned in close. Her eyes roamed my face and answered, "I see a man who is pretty egoistic. A man who has a weird way of showing jealousy. A man who loves his wife very much. And a man who has the cutest eyes on the planet." She smiled and I smiled, too. I kissed her cute nose and her naturally pink lips before I captured them into a deep kiss. We continued kissing before we heard a knock on our door. She broke the kiss and was about to answer but I pulled her back down. "Just kiss me." We continued kissing while someone, most likely Yuri and her husband, was knocking on our door. Our kissing went from being innocent then moving on to something hot and passionate. I poured all my love to her on that day and she did the same.

It's still unbelievable to me that I married my high school sweetheart. I can't believe I captured her heart the same way she captured mine. It's hard to believe we even reached that far. It's hard. It's really hard.

I wish something could have prevented it. I wish I didn't stop her. I wish she just answered that door. I wish Yuri or someone - anyone pounced on me. I wish that blissful day never happened.