4

Love Story

The next person to visit her was Woohyun. Her parents were on their way but he made it before them. "How's the new mom?" he asked once he entered the room with a gift basket. He set it down and approached Jia. He squatted down and held her hand. "How you doing?"

"Very tired and sore," she answered. “I only got four hours of sleep before Yuna was born."

"Yuna? That's a pretty name. Where is she?" he asked, looking around. He spotted the crib and approached it with a smile. "She's cute," he commented as he picked her up.

"I thought you didn't think newborns are cute," I joked.

"They're not. They look cute once they open their eyes, grow a bit more hair and gurgle. But she's your baby so therefore she's cute." Both Jia and I laughed. "Hi, Yuna. I'm your uncle. My name is Woohyun."

Jia looked at me and I smiled. "Hey, Woohyun," she called. "Sunggyu and I were discussing this with each other before. We thought it would be great if you were to become her godfather." He looked at us before lying down Yuna back in her crib. He sat down on the other side of Jia's bed.

"Why?"

"You're our close friend, and the only person we trust."

"But why a godfather? Are you planning to write your will? If so, I decline."

That was an answer we both didn't expect. We thought he would be happy. We asked him his reason. "I just don't want to. Many families don't have godparents. Why do you have to have one? I can be her uncle but I don't want to be involved in anything legal." It was an unexpected response but we agreed. Jia and I were only thinking about Yuna. Now that I think about it, there was no reason to bring that up. I know he would treat her as her daughter anyway, legally or not.

In a couple days, Jia was released from the hospital and we headed back home. While Jia settled Yuna in, I went out for a bit. It had been three years since I last saw her because I was so busy with the office, plans for the wedding and Jia's pregnancy. I decided it would be a great time to visit her and tell her the good news. When I arrived at the shop, it had a huge renovation. It wasn't just a plastic stand that had the name of the shop outside the door but the top of it was a huge sign with her name on it. I guessed she hit it big while I was away.

When I entered, someone loudly said, "Welcome!" I nodded at her and looked around the interior. As much as the outside, the inside of the shop had changed. There were more individual tables and it looked like she hired some people for tarot card reading. "How may I help you?" I looked up and slowly approached the front desk. "Uh...is Sajangnim here?"

"Mrs. Ji? She doesn't do readings anymore."

"Is that so..." I said in a daze while my eyes still wandered around. I was still amazed at how a small shop could turn into something fancy and nice.

"We offer tarot card, palm reading and face reading. Which one would you like?"

I shook my head. "I don't want anything read. I would like to speak with Sajangnim. I need to tell her something. Is she here?"

The receptionist was reluctant to answer my question but just as she opened my name was called. I turned around to see her waving at me. Smiling, I approached her. "Long time no see, Sunggyu."

"Same here. You did some major renovations to your shop," I commented.

She nodded. "I did. Now, let's go to the back. I sense you have something to tell me." I smiled and followed her. Me and Sajangnim go way back. I always went to her when I wanted to get my fortune read. Her shop was small and shabby before. Now she has a staff for her shop which probably isn't as legit as her.

There was a table back there with a glass ball and we sat down across from each other. She asked me what I wanted to tell her and I told her about my great news. I also told her about my wedding and my job. When I first met her, I was the rudest kid but as I saw her more often, I opened up to her and affectionately called her Sajangnim as in 'boss lady.'

"That is great news! I am very happy for you,” she congratulated. "Even though I retired, I'll read your future for you. I'll make this your wedding gift." She closed her eyes and concentrated on the glass ball. Usually, she had good composure when she read the ball but that time she had frowned a little. She opened her eyes and stared at the ball, distress clearly evident in her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Is it bad?" She closed her eyes and did that once more without speaking and I watched her. When she opened her eyes, there was that look again.

"Sunggyu," she called my name. "I see black." I didn't understand her. "I don't see anything. You don't have a future..."

"...h-huh? W-what do you mean?" I stammered. "I don't have a future? Everyone has a future. Are you sure you're reading that thing correctly? Maybe you're a bit stiff. You said you're retired."

She shook her head. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have read your future."

I swallowed a big lump in my throat. "S-so what does that mean?"

"It means you'll die."

And my world went crashing down.