1

Love Story

So, where should I begin? Should I begin from when I started my new life at the orphanage or should I start from my first year of high school when puberty hit me? How about I start at my marriage life? Which is more interesting? How about we just start from my first memory? I remember clearly now than I ever have.

I was born in a small town many, many years ago. I was born during the time when computers were still being developed. Remember those ugly, white, fat monitors with low resolution? If your computer malfunctioned, it wouldn't just reboot itself. It would do that and produce some smoke just to get your heart pumping a bit. And along with the heart-pumping monitor and desktop, it came with a tacky white keyboard and mouse. I envy those children who grew up in such a great futuristic time like today where everything from smart phones, flat screen tv, and maybe drones are a part of their lives. They have it all easy. It's a shame the environment couldn't be better like it was three decades ago.

Anyway, I was the first child of a young couple. We lived in a small house, away from my grandparents. Their reason of moving out to a new house was quite confusing to me. They were young adults who never had children before. They should have had their parents with them to take care of me. I wish I could have slapped some sense into them.

All I remember is a lot of yelling. I think they were yelling almost every day. They were yelling about money, expenses and alcohol. I bet my dad was an alcoholic, that's why our family was so broken. I was three years old when they decided to send me to an orphanage. I don't remember seeing anyone cry. My parents never loved me. They didn't even love each other.

So, I grew up in the orphanage. Maybe two or three kids come in every year. That's because the orphanage was not very well known. Like I said, we live in a small town so if parents were to send their child to the orphanage, they had to move out unless they wanted to be the talk of the town. Every year, none to one child is adopted. That one chance wasn't me for the next 15 years. I hated the orphanage.

As years went by, the town constructed more housing and even built apartments. More children arrived, while the young ones left. I didn't like the orphanage because it brought down my self-esteem. I kept asking, "what is wrong with me? Why isn't anyone adopting me? Is it because I look funny? Is it because I have the smallest eyes in the facility? What is it?"

Those questions weren't voiced out but instead, it was locked up. I kept everything to myself. I didn't like having friends because the people I come to like leave. Yes, the friends I make is that one child that get adopted each year. It's like I can predict the future or something. Because of that, I didn't talk much. I was afraid I would get close to someone and have them be taken away. I went to school, yes, but you can't believe how many people look down on orphans. It's like we have a second head; we're that disgusting to be with. All of that led me to who I was. I was quiet, reserved and shy. I locked my feelings inside me with a key and threw it away. It was not until this girl found my key. Well, I actually let her find it.

How many times had I tried to confess? I think it was seven times. Yes, lucky number seven. I met her in my second year of high school. She's a year younger than me but we were in the same class. The first time I confessed was during a fight with her best friend. It was the worst way to do so but it just slipped. Sure, I was embarrassed but then, I threw away my pride and I confessed and confessed but she still rejected me until the end.

I couldn't help myself but to tell her I liked her. She was more lovable every passing day. I like the way she talks. I like her blunt personality. I like her looks. I found her more and more attractive and I just couldn't help myself.

Why did she reject me so many times? Well, she was in love with her best friend. She was so love-struck and she couldn't do anything about it because she was afraid that their friendly relationship would end if things went awkward. I watched her go through so many turmoils. It was very frustrating to say the least. Her best friend eventually became my best friend through weird, unexplainable circumstances. How we became friends is still a bit of a confusion. Unfortunately, he also liked her. Actually, I helped him realize his feelings towards her because it was frustrating to watch him go all super protective of her when he didn't even know why he was doing so. I didn't think of him as competition because I knew he wouldn't be able to tell her. Like her, he didn't want to ruin their friendship.

When all three of us graduated high school together, Jia and I went on to university while Woohyun stayed back for a year to earn money. Most of the money he earned went to his parents.

His parents divorced without telling him so his relationship with them wasn't the best. His parents were rarely home at the same time but when they were at home together, the only thing they did was argue. Most of the time, their arguments got so heated that Woohyun and I wake up in the middle of the night listening in until we fall back to sleep. Most of the arguments were topics about money. That was the sole reason why he decided not to attend university that year.

Ultimately, he regretted making such a decision. He told me if he just lived like his parents were invisible, he would have been in his second year. He blamed himself for even caring about them. He was being too hard on himself. I believe if time could go back, he would make the same decision. Although he resents his parents for hiding their divorce, he loves them enough to help with their financial problems. Woohyun is like that. He's kind. So kind that I can't stand him sometimes. He truly believed that the car accident that killed his parents was his fault. He mourned for almost a year and he was in a slump for another ten or so months. He did nothing for two years. It was hard for me to see my best friend in that kind of state.

Woohyun, Jia and I lived in the same apartment near the heart of the city after his parents passed. He stayed inside most of the time, only going out to see real sunlight and breathe in fresh air when we told him to throw away the trash or do some quick errands. He rarely ate and he looked as pale as a ghost. Whenever we tried to have him go outside with us, he would say with that smile of his, "Go have fun by yourselves. You two must be tired putting up with me."

I don't even know how those two years passed without giving him a single punch in the face. What happened in those two years is something I don't want to talk about.

Then, finally, out of nowhere, he was back to normal. He was back to being bright and smiley when he talked. It was obviously Jia's doing and when I asked, she only said she gave him a slap of reality. Why couldn't she have given that to him sooner, I don't know.

After a couple of months, he was back to being the Woohyun I once knew. He got his weight and color back. He got that smile back, too. He also applied for his first year of university while Jia and I were on our last year. That year we had no drama or any sudden surprises. Jia and I ended university with smiles and before we knew it, we were studying in our respective graduate schools. She went on to teacher's college while I went on to dental school. At that time, we were in a long distance relationship. I could only get back once a month because my school was in a different city. It wasn't too far away from Woohyun and her but because of the workload all of us had it was difficult to see each other. Of course, we would call each other every week or so to update on our lives. Jia and I would also go on full day dates when both of our schedules meet. Let's just say we went through a sweet phase during high school. Then, we ended up living together during university and ended up having a long distance relationship during graduate school. We dated for 11 years. That is a very long time.

Now, I can't say our relationship was perfect. We've had fights like any other couple. We took "breaks" but it didn't last long. The only reason we lasted so long is because we were best friends. We could tolerate each other because we know one another the best in terms of personality, way of speech and so on. Sometimes, Jia says the most insensible things when I complain about something but I can't get mad at her for long because that's how she is. I learned to handle her responses through our friendship. There was nothing I didn't know about her while we were dating. That's why I wanted her to be my girlfriend. She's so simple and transparent. What does she like about me? I'm no one special. She should have rejected my confession and went to Woohyun. I would have stopped at seven.

There is one special night I would like to talk about. It was the night I officially proposed to her. I had two of my close friends prepare the event for me; Woohyun and Junhyung, whom I met in dental school and shared an office with. Although Jia is a simple lady who barely owns any jewelry and accessories, barely puts any make up on and can choose clothes with her eyes closed, she is still a girl. There is not one girl who doesn't like nice events on special days. She herself, is very adamant with birthdays. "It's not just a day where you get old," she says, "it's a day that signifies your birth. Being born is a gift." On my birthdays, whenever we can't meet she would call me and say, "Happy birthday Sunggyu. Today is your birth date. Thanks for being born. I love you. And also, happy anniversary."

Woohyun, Junhyung and I were by the city lake. By city, I mean the place I used to call my hometown. The place changed a lot the past decade. It used to be mostly rural and then it changed to an urban landscape. There were so many high buildings and cars on the roads. There used to be only one story buildings and bicycles when I was in high school.

It was a year after the both of us graduated. I wanted the both of us to settle in with our careers before I proposed to her. Actually, marriage plans were already underway before I planned to propose. One day out of nowhere, I popped out the question. "I was waiting," she replied. Our wedding date was already planned and set but the only thing missing was the proposal and the engagement ring.

"I can't believe you're doing this now," Woohyun said for the fifth time that night. "You should have done it months ago, not two weeks before your wedding!"

"I told you many times, the question popped out, she said yes, and I had no money four month ago."

"Then, why couldn't you ask her to marry you today and set the date another four months after?" Junhyung asked.

"She wants her wedding in the spring. I can't wait until next spring. Her parent's house is not fit for four grown adults. It's better late than never."

"Still, you could have gotten a loan."

"I'm thousands of dollars in debt for my office, Woohyun! Shut up and fix that string hanging off the ladder!"

Finally, after the two complaining all-for-nothings helped me with the event, all I had to do was pick up Jia. She had no idea what was going to happen. I tried to make it as much of a surprise as possible. "What are we doing here?" she asked. "There are mosquitos everywhere."

"I'm trying to make this date romantic and all you can talk about are the mosquitos? You're trying to make me jealous?" She rolled her eyes and I could only smile and wrap my arm around her shoulders while she wrapped her arm around my waist. "What's that?" She asked, seeing the bright lights just above the tree tops. We had to walk through a small patch of trees to get where we were supposed to go.

"Wait here," I see what it is first.

"Let me come with you," she said.

"What if it's dangerous? It'll take thirty seconds, I promise." I kissed her forehead before running towards the lights where Junhyung and Woohyun were waiting. On the sand, there was a trail made of candles, leading into a circle where there were two ladders on either end. All over the ladders were battery operated string lights which illuminated the entire area. On top of the two ladders were paper lanterns and a banner that stretched between them. The banner read, "Marry me" and a single balloon in the middle.

Junhyung was on the side of the circle with a guitar. He was going to sing while she approached the circle and Woohyun was our camera man. "Jia, come here!" I shouted before hiding behind a tree with Woohyun who was secretly videotaping. Jia ran out the trees and stopped when she saw the candles. It was Junhyung's cue to sing. "It's a beautiful night and he's looking for something amazing but late to do. Oh Kim Sunggyu, I think he's going to propose to you."

I rolled my eyes at his small improv. It was my cue to come out and sing the next lines. "Is it the look in your eyes? Or is it this dancing juice?" I did a small wave. "Who cares baby, I think I want to propose to you." I stepped inside the candle trail and led her towards the circle. "Did I ever tell you how much really you mean to me, oh. I think we both know. Oh come on girl. I wanted to let you know how much I love you so, oh. I give you this show. Oh come on, girl."

I led her into the middle of the circle, under the big balloon. I let go of her hand, took out the velvet box and knelt on one knee. She hid behind her hands, eyes teary as she watched me finish my last lines. "Don't say no, no, no, no-no. Just say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah-yeah. And we'll go, go, go, go-go. Are you ready? Cause I'm ready." The music stopped and I opened the box, revealing her engagement ring. "Jia, will you marry me?"

She said, "Of course."

That's how I proposed to her two weeks before our wedding day. That day was one of the best days of my life. Jia looked beautiful in her wedding dress. I couldn't have seen another beautiful woman in my life. Woohyun, well, he was late to our wedding. That was the usual him. Other than that, everything was perfect. I was married to Jia, Woohyun was still my best friend, we all got a stable job, and we were living as adults. Now, let's continue on with everything from the day after the wedding until that final stroll in the park, shall we?