.2

Love Story

It had been a week since Jia ate alone in the classroom and of course, I was be there. Why? Well, I wanted to know her better. The more I got to know her through my pestering, the more interested I got. At first it was curiosity but it quicky changed into interest. Her way of talking and the way she dodged my snark remarks peaked my interest.

I had so-called friends of my own, so I'd go with them to eat first and then I would go back to the classroom to join Jia. One day, I did my usual routine. I left when the bell rung and came back shortly after. When I came back there was a boy at front of the door. I didn't know who he was because I only saw the back of his head. I pushed the boy to the side and realized this boy was Woohyun. I played dumb and asked, "Who are you? Why are you standing in front of my classroom?"

The boy was about to answer but Jia spoke. "Why are you here, again?"

I turned to Jia and answered, "Babe, you can't ask me that every time we're alone. This is my classroom, too!" I saw her face scrunch up a tiny bit and I couldn't help myself but smile a bit wider. She didn't like to be called by pet names.

"You say you forget something but you always end up staying here, talking non-stop."

"Hey, it's not my fault I want to keep you company." I approached her, ignoring Woohyun who was staring at me and sat backwards on the seat in front of her.

"I don't want your company," she grumbled.

I feigned offense. "Ouch. But it's fine. I know you want my company. You haven't been with your friends ever since that drug incident."

"I chose not to stay with my friends because I don't trust them. Who knows? They'll probably stab me in the back, claiming I've done nothing but bad for them." The corner of my lips twitched up. That wasn't what she told me before but I knew she was talking about Woohyun in front of him. I hid my smirk. It served him right for blaming everything on her.

"Aw, who's the person who bothered my baby?" I cooed, playing along. "You're the opposite of me. I'm the devil and you're the angel. Why would anyone blame anything on the angel?" She smiled. Honestly, she looked way more better smiling than that stoic face. If I hadn't come in every lunch, her face would freeze like that. She would forget how to smile.

I heard footsteps and looked up. Woohyun walked towards us and placed a juice carton on her desk. "You forgot your water again," he said before turning to leave.

"You know him?" I asked, jabbing my thumb at his direction.

"Yeah," she answered with a nod. "He's my angel in disguise." We heard the door close and Jia looked down at her desk. All of the sudden, her shoulders began to shake.

My eyebrows creased upward in worry. "Jia?" I called. Then, I saw a tear droplet fall on her desk. That's when I realized it. They were together in everything during middle school. She decided not to eat with her friends because of some small gossip and the reason why she was crying was because she liked Woohyun. Jia liked Woohyun.

I sighed and rested my elbows on her desk. "You're breaking my heart here," I said. "I'm torn between staying so you can lean on my shoulder and leaving so you can have your space."

She scoffed lightly. "You're actually being considerate."

"Well, I can't pretend you're not crying in front of me," I answered. "I know when to stop."

"Then can you please give me space for a couple of days? I'd really like that." I smiled. At least she didn't tell me to stop pestering her. Like she wanted, I gave her a couple days of space. I hung out with my friends during lunch and I finally realized how stupid they were. The things they talked about aren't even worth mentioning about. I mean, sure, I already knew they were plain dumb but for the days I've spent my lunch with Jia, they became more...revolting. They picked on kids for no reason and kicked over their food. Even I didn't do that. I wanted to go back to her as soon as possible but I couldn't. I was even considerate enough to give her an extra day by herself and by Monday, I was back by her side.

"Not hearing from you was weird," said Jia once I entered the classroom during lunch. "I was so used to having you bother me until I couldn't take it anymore."

"I didn't think you wouldn't openly admit you missed me," I teased.

"Well, considering the fact that I'm alone most of the time, I would like any kind of company." She smiled and I could only smile back. For the next couple of weeks, we spent lunch together. I got to know her more and slowly, I began to develop a crush. Of course, she'd only see me as the annoying guy since I did annoy her most of the time. I got to know more about her but she had yet got to know about me. I didn't want to tell her I was an orphan nor did I want to tell her about my past because it wasn't something I wanted to talk about.

I was spending every lunch with her. I didn't even go to my regular group anymore. I lessened my pestering and actually got to know her a bit more. I already knew her personality wise so I got to know a bit more of her personal life. Her birthday is on April 21, her favourite color is purple, she would rather own fish than a dog, she lived in the same house since she was born, she wants to become a healthcare worker and she her favourite scent is no scent. Those were the few things I learned from her during the couple weeks. What did she know about me? Nothing.

I mostly listened to her speak and I didn't say anything until I needed to. Mostly, I was just teasing her but never did I talk about myself. I was fine with that. She didn't need to know about my pitiful life. Hearing her talk about hers was more than enough to make me smile like a crazy man.

One afternoon, I left the classroom to the washroom during lunch break. When I came back, I saw someone outside the classroom. The scene looked very familiar. That's when I realized it was Woohyun standing outside the classroom. I felt angry for a second. Why was he even there? I calmed myself down once I realized I sounded like an obsessive boyfriend. I snuck up behind him and pulled him inside the classroom.

"Look who the devil dragged in. The angel in disguise," I announced. Jia and Nicole looked up. It seemed like they were having a conversation and this guy eavesdropped.

"You forgot your water?" Woohyun lamely said.

Nicole giggled. "Well, I figure you heard the whole conversation?"

"What conversation?" I asked. Nicole grabbed my arm and tugged me towards the door.

"Come on, gramps. Let's have lunch together."

I pulled my arm back. "I don't want to have lunch with you! I want to hear what they have to say to each other!"

She rolled her eyes and grabbed my wrist. "Come on. I want people to be jealous of me. They'll think I'm cool for eating with the most fearsome person in school."

"Well, you sure aren't afraid!"

"I've known you before you changed, so stop playing this facade."

"Nicole!" She managed to drag me out of the classroom and shut the classroom door. She wouldn't hear any of my complaints and just dragged me towards the cafeteria.

I swear, she's the only person who could control me like that without fear. I knew her since my first year of high school. She was my seat partner. She was the loud one while I was the quiet one. She always talked to me and of course I'd answer. I guess we became friends, although I'm not too sure what our relationship was together. We never talked outside the classroom.

When we entered the cafeteria, we headed towards her table. Of course, the place was buzzing with gossip. I would gossip too, if a girl had her hand around the wrist of the most fearsome guy in the school. She sat down with her friends and pulled me down, too.

"This is Sunggyu, if you didn't already know," she introduced me to her friends. Her table consisted of five other girls whose names I don't remember. That was the only time I associated with them anyway, although there was this one girl who stood out. She looked like a real life doll and her name was Hara. I admit, she caught my eye but nothing more I assure you.

"You're friends with Nicole?" one girl asked.

"Not really," I replied.

"Yes, we are!" Nicole argued. "We were classmates last year. He was my seat partner so I know a bit about him." I rolled my eyes. She knew nothing about me. I never talked about myself before. She only knows my name and the love for my bed. Lunch went by slowly because Jia wasn't there. I understood why she didn't want to be with these girls. They talked way too much about the most useless things. I zoned out the entire time. I went back to the classroom early and Jia wasn't there. Trust me, I wanted her to be happy more than anyone but I didn't want her to be happy with Woohyun. Call me crazy but I fell in love with her once she was taken away. I guess it goes to show, you don't really know what you're missing until they're gone.