3

Love Story

We continued our honeymoon trip in Osaka without the other couple, which I was very glad for. We didn't even bump into them for breakfast, lunch or dinner for the rest of our honeymoon. On our second day of our honeymoon, we spent it shopping around the city. We were supposed to do that on the first day but we got distracted and sleepy. So we made up for it on the second day, along with a tour we booked. We saw many relics and temples on our tour in the rural area of Osaka. It was pretty alright. There wasn't anything that caught my eyes but it was a different story for Jia. She was very excited at every historical monument or temple. She's a history teacher so I understood her excitement. She sometimes got too excited with a couple items that I had to tug her away to keep up with the tourist group. That day went by while we passed out on the tour bus at the end of it all.

On the third day, instead of eating at the hotel, we ate outside in Osaka. That day was our binge day where we ate only one bowl together at each famous restaurant we went to. So we tried five different restaurants and shops for lunch and couldn't dare eat anything for dinner. We had bad indigestion on our fourth day and all we did was stay in bed the entire day in Japan and the entire day back home. Overall, it was a great trip. We made a lot of memories there that we could never forget.

"So how is it? Being married?" Woohyun asked as we were sitting at a restaurant catching up.

I shrugged. "It doesn't feel different other than the fact we had a ceremony and a honeymoon."

"Really? I thought it would be more...I don't know. More exciting? More stressful?"

I laughed. "Come on. Jia's always been the same since high school. And we did live together for the past…how many years? It's all the same. The only thing is no one can steal her away from me. Including you."

He rolled his eyes. "It's been how many years since high school and you still think I like your wife? You're being irrational."

"I'm just kidding! I'm just saying you need to find someone. You haven't dated until Nicole, which I have no idea why you would do such a thing."

"I did date!" he argued. "I didn't tell you about them, that's all."

I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms against my chest. I didn't believe him one bit. If he did date someone he would have told Jia and she would have told me. "And how many girls have you dated since Nicole?"

"Three," he answered. "They were during university. I was quite the catch during school. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to be jealous of my looks." I laughed at how ridiculous that sounded. "Right. Anyway, how's work?"

"They're promoting me to full time teacher."

"You mean babysitter."

"I still teach! I teach them nursery rhymes and the alphabet."

"Something a babysitter can do."

"I have my license alright!" I laughed, enjoying the teasing. Woohyun worked at a daycare for six months as part time and they already promoted him. I was glad they liked him. The teasing was just my way of saying congratulations.

"How's Jia doing?" he asked. "I should have asked this first: how is life with a pregnant wife?"

I took a sip of my water. "You know how women get very hormonal at times with a baby in their stomach? Jia's handling it very well. She hasn't complained much. She's already seven months in and I've only heard her go crazy maybe twice."

"Yeah about that..." Woohyun picked on the lone rice in his bowl with his chopstick. "She doesn't complain to you because she complains to me about it." I blinked. "Huh?"

"I've known her for fifteen years maybe. And since I'm her best friend and not her lover, she comes to me to vent a lot of things. The reason I asked how you feel being a husband is because Jia feels very conscious about being a wife. There are small thing she changed about herself after she got married to you."

It was the first time I ever heard him speak about her in a long time. Whenever we met up we only spoke about us and our lives. Since Jia was a part of my life I naturally spoke about her and he would continue the conversation. That time though, he spoke about her first. The way he spoke about her worried me. I was scared I did something wrong for her to change. "...like what?"

"You know she doesn't care if we or other people judge her. She thinks it's their way of being jealous. But since she married you, she changed her attitude. Have you noticed?" I thought back to anything that might have stood out but I didn't remember anything. "Jia likes to eat with open and with big bites. Haven't you noticed her eating more...I don't know. Ladylike? And also, she’s trying to look her best in front of you but you never noticed." She always took care of me while I ate. She always put more food in my bowl so I had no chance to take stop and look around. She also ate right beside me so I didn't notice. Also, I didn’t notice anything different about her looks. I just thought she had that ‘pregnant glow’ that women had. "You said she doesn't complain much. Don't you think that is a bit weird for her?" he continued. "Jia complains all the time. She nags about everything. Don't you think it was a bit weird she didn't complain in those seven months?"

I stared at my cup of water. He was right. Jia is the type to complain and nag a lot. How did I miss that? That was one of the reasons she attracted me. She nagged about the smallest things but it's not like she does so to make me feel bad. She does nag about being disorganized but then she says, "if you're not organized, how can you organize your life? If you don't start doing so, you won't be able to go very far." She also says, "Sunggyu! Can you just please take a look in the mirror once you wake up. You can't go to class looking like this." She then takes the effort to comb my hair down. "People must know I have a handsome boyfriend. The most handsome man a lady could have."

"I thought she was a bit quiet because she didn't want to stress out our baby. But now that I think about it, it's giving her more stress that she can't say anything to me but vent everything to you." He nodded. "Let's head back. I'm sure there's a lot you need to discuss with her."

I entered the house to see her cleaning the living room. I rushed towards her and grabbed the rag from her. "Why are you cleaning the floors with a rag? We have a mop."

"I don't feel the mop does a good job," she answered. I helped her up and sat her down on the couch. "Where are your parents?"

"They left to the market to do some shopping. They left an hour ago. They should be back anytime soon..." she said as she looked at the clock on the wall.

We moved back to her parents place after our honeymoon. We didn't have the money to pay the rent for our apartment especially when I was thousands of dollars in debt after investing into the dental office I worked at with Junhyung. Because of his connections, we were quickly earning money to almost call it profit.

"You should have called me."

"I didn't want to interrupt you."

I took a breath. "We need to talk. Woohyun said some stuff. About you going to him to vent and hiding from me."

She looked away. "I told him not to tell you..."

"Hey, hey, hey." I gently grabbed her chin and made her face me. "I'm glad he told me about this. If he didn't, I wouldn't have noticed. I've been busy with the office and I apologize. I'm sorry I didn't notice your changes. Now, I need you to tell me why. Why did you change? Did you think I was tired of your nagging and complaints? Jia, what is it?"

"...I'm scared you didn't find me wife material."

"Oh, Jia." I pulled her to my chest and hugged her tight but not tight enough to harm our baby. "Never would I ever think you're not wife material. I've been with you for over a decade. Did I ever tell you to stop complaining? Did I ever tell you to stop doing anything? I don't think I ever did and I don't I ever will. I understand that going through this pregnant phase is hard on you. You can let it all out. You don’t have to hide from me. Jia, don't change because you think you're not good enough or if you need to impress me. Don't think the title of being my wife means you need to change. It's the 21st century. Men are no longer the dominant one. They are becoming submissive to their wife. Don't you ever think again that you need to be wife material. I love you for who you are, understand?" I held her for a bit longer before I heard her sniffle. I pulled away from her to see her crying. It was the first time I saw her cry in a long time. She cried a few times after watching sappy dramas on TV but it was quite a while that she legitimately cried after that one time during high school. "Love, why are you crying?" I reached over to grab a tissue and dabbed her cheeks.

"I love you, Sunggyu. I really do. After I found out I was pregnant, I thought about how I should act from now on. I thought about changing myself for the sake of living as your wife and as a mother of our child. I'm really glad you don't want me to change."

"You should have told me what was on your mind. Being married does not mean you should hide from me. Being married means no one can steal you from me. It means we share each other's problems and pains. So speak what is on your mind just like you did before. Okay?" She nodded and I pulled her into another hug.

"Also, I'm crying because of hormonal issues." I pulled away from her and stared at her before the both of us started laughing. “You look pretty,” I told her and she smiled.

After that talk between the two of us, her attitude changed completely. It is a wonder how I didn't notice she changed. Like I said, she likes to complain and nag but during those next two months it was...a bit excessive. She complained about the smallest and silliest things. She yelled at me sometimes for those small and silliest things. Of course, I wasn't mad at her. It was her hormones that made her sensitive but I did get agitated at times though I never showed it. I understood what she was going through for our child.

On that note, when I found out our child would be a girl, I was so ecstatic! I always wanted a girl as my first child. Why? Well, because Jia grew up to be an independent lady and I wanted my daughter to grow up like her, too. Of course, I also wanted a boy but if we had a boy first, our daughter would be too dependent on him and I didn’t want that. I thought if Jia is the one to raise her, she would become a beautiful lady. And I do still believe so. Without me, Jia would still raise our daughter up beautifully.

"Oppa, we need to buy clothes for the baby later," said Jia one afternoon. We were out for lunch with her parents at a Korean restaurant.

"You mean Sunshine's clothes," I corrected. She rolled her eyes and nodded. "Yeah, yeah. Sunshine's." Most people nickname their unborn child and I decided to name her Sunshine. She was basically my source of energy to wake up in the morning and my boost of energy when I come home from a long day's work. Jia didn't like to call her Sunshine. She liked to call her "my baby." She wasn't very fond of nicknames yet she didn't disagree with the nickname I chose for our child. I think she liked it.

"Mom, dad, don't you think Jia is a bit cold towards Sunshine?" I asked her parents.

Her mom shrugged. "She took after me."

"Mom! You're saying you never gave me a nickname?"

"She didn't like nicknames. I didn't really care about them either," her father said.

"Wow. You both deserve the Best Parents Award. At least Sunggyu cares enough to give her a nickname." She stuck out her tongue before taking a spoonful of rice. We all laughed before continuing on with lunch.

After that, Jia and I went out to buy clothes for Sunshine. It was the first time I ever stepped into a baby department store. I still remember the feeling I got when I entered: I felt proud. I felt proud that I was going to be a father. I couldn't stop smiling throughout our shopping. I thought my heart was going to burst out happiness and rainbows...like a Care Bear.

All funny jokes aside, it was quite the experience. We got to pick out her crib, her shoes and her clothes. I admit, I got a little carried away. "Let's get these!" I said, showing Jia the pair of shoes I wanted. She looked at them and then at me. "I'm sure these Winnie the Pooh Vans aren't appropriate for a newborn baby."

"She can use these when she starts walking."

"Then you can buy those later."

"It won't be in stock anymore. These shoes are the smallest size they have. She said it's for three year olds. We have to buy them now!"

She laughed and rolled her eyes. "Might as well buy her shoes for sixteen year olds."

I frowned. "Now, you're going too far."

She smiled and lightly pinched my cheeks. "Then let's buy her a bunch of Winnie the Pooh related things so she doesn't get angry because she likes Pororo better." I dropped those shoes in the basket. "Let's start today."

I took her words too seriously. We bought her a crib with Winnie the Pooh and his friends on the music box. It was matched with Winnie the Pooh flat sheets, pillow case and blanket. The sticker decorations on the walls were Winnie the Pooh and his friends and on top of that, the walls were already painted yellow-tan. I bought Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals, bib, bottles, plastic plate and utensils. Yup. My baby will love my shoes.

"You're sure she'll love Winnie the Pooh?" asked Jia as we were walking aimlessly around the mall that was decorated with seasonal red and white decorations.

"I bought her everything that has his face on it. Why won't she love it?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because she will only see his face while she sleeps and never know who is actually is. They don't stream it on TV anymore. He's only an item because he's still cute."

"There is YouTube!"

"Right. You'll have to burn it on a disk then. I don't want her to know what the Internet is." I chuckled and squeezed her hand. "Of course not. I won't even let her know what a phone is." I kissed her temple as we continued around the mall.

Those last two months went by quickly. The beautiful season of Christmas passed and the New Year started. It was February 11 when Sunshine was born into the world. Her name is Kim Yuna. I cried a lot on that day. One reason was because Jia was in a lot of pain. She had this tube down her spine to pump in pain meds so she wouldn't feel the pain of child birth. Second, because of some unexpected turns, she wasn't able to deliver the baby naturally and had to have an emergency C-section. Lastly, I cried when I held Yuna in my arms next to Jia. She was so precious and I felt proud and sorry for Jia who had to go through difficulties of giving birth.

"Hi, Yuna. Do you recognize my voice? Sunshine, it's daddy." I smiled widely when her lips twitched up into a smile. I looked at Jia who was lying on the bed. She looked exhausted but she still smiled. "She recognizes you."

I gently passed Yuna to her and she cradled her in her arms. I held Jia's hand and rubbed the back of it as I watched the two of them. That's when I cried for the third time that day. She looked at me, alarmed. "Why are you crying?" I shook my head and smiled, telling her it was nothing through my actions. "Sunggyu..." I grabbed her free hand in mine and held it against my lips. "Thank you. I love you. And I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" she asked.

"I'm sorry that you had to go through all of this. I'm sorry you had to go through surgery." I laid my hand on her stomach. "I'm sorry there's a scar."

"Oh Sunggyu..." She wiped my tears with her fingers and then rested her palm against my cheek. "You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about. Everything happened, happened and we are here with Yuna who is one hundred percent healthy. I'm healthy. Be happy, Sunggyu. You finally have a daughter who will be under the influence of Winnie the Pooh."

I laughed and wiped my remaining tears. I held on to her hand a whole longer as I watched Yuna. That was the happiest moment of my life. I was with the love of my life watching the second love of my life. Right then, I believed life was perfect. I only needed the two of them to make life worth living.


I should be studying for my test that's tomorrow. And finishing my five assignments. and study for the next 6 tests coming up. This is my way of procrastinating...lol. Hopefully this chapter didn't make you sleep. I added some dry humor to have you think "wtf Sunggyu."

Have a good day.

(btw i'm thinking of posting up another fic. i shouldn't. i really shouldn't. but i think i will. sorry.)