Dance

Infinitely

 

Go away, I drag myself, who is burnt with sadness that is like rotten firewood
Why is your cooled heart making my heart race and wander every day?

 

 

"I wish I could go with you." Sungyeol pouted. He was helping me pick out which dress I should wear for the night. The pile of 'never evers' was growing.

"Sungyeol! Pick one!"

"You need something that doesn't make you look so cute and desirable."

"I swear.."

There was a light knock and the butler opened the door. "Your mother is on her way up." He didn't acknowledge Sungyeol who was already half way out onto the balcony.

"I'll come back tonight when it's over." And he was gone.

A few seconds later my mother came walking in. "Stop looking for a dress, I have one here for you. I don't know who would be willing to send you a dress.." She handed the box to me.

"Whose it from?" I dreaded to see it. If it was Nam Woohyun I'd burn the dress myself.

"Kim Sunggyu." I froze. Quickly I tore open the box and reached for the card. Inside it was signed by him with a 'I'm Sorry' written just above his name. I'm sorry? Those words scared me.

"You'll wear this tonight. Get ready."

I rubbed the fabric through my fingers, unable to get 'I'm Sorry' from repeating in my head.

~
My heart was racing. A few of the men were smoking outside the place we were to hold the charity ball. We were all waiting for the women to arrive. One by one limos lined up and their partners escorted them inside. My mother had put Haeri's name next to mine for me to her. She also had me send her a dress. I apologized in the note and I would again in person.

There weren't many men left and I began to wonder if she was going to show. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't. When I had almost decided to walk inside another limo pulled up. Out came a beautiful young girl in a light pink dress. It flowed to her ankles and hugged her perfectly.

"Haeri." I breathed out, completely dumbstruck that this was the same girl who wore the heavy makeup, performed on stage with a rock band, and always wore headphones around her neck (except this time, of course).

Badump.

My heart was starting to race.

"Haeri." I spoke, louder. She looked at me warily. Quickly I went to her and she hooked her hand through my elbow. "I wanted to apologize."

"For sending me the dress or for some odd reason being my ?"

"Both. I need to tell you something." I needed to tell her what I told my mother before she was caught off guard. By now there would already be a few people who speculated at our relationship. I didn't want to send her into the battlefield unprepared.

"It's going to have to wait until the first dance. Tell me then?" I reluctantly nodded and let her go.

~

The first hour of this ball was eating and the announcer declaring who spent the most and to which charity they sent it to. Someone from each charity came up and the donor shook their hand. It was yawn worthy and ridiculous.

Instead of paying attention I looked over at Sunggyu's table. He was with an older woman and a younger one. I assumed it was his family. There was one person I looked around for and prayed my hardest he wasn't here. But he was.

Nam Woohyun sat a few tables from me with a playful smirk on his face. He lifted his glass as a toast and I scowled.

My mother flicked my thigh.

"Ouch!" I hissed.

She didn't look at me. But the death grip on my wrist was enough warning.

~
Haeri looked uncomfortable. She was tense in her seat and only looked down at her plate. There wasn't much longer of these annoying announcements and the dancing would start. That's when I would grab her and warn her.

There was nothing I could do now so I focused on my little sister. She was casually sipping her water while glancing at the man next to her, her fiancee. He was a young looking man, not much older than her. When I met him earlier he introduced himself as Sungjong.

Sungjong looked like he was trying his best to keep a stoic appearance but his eyes kept glancing at Jieun and the tips of his ears were bright red. My only wish was that my sister would get love out of her arranged marriage.

Throughout the rest of the dinner they continued to shyly smile and whisper to each other.

~

When the dinner was finally over I quickly stood. Before another man could grab me I wanted to make my way to Sunggyu. He said he needed to speak with me and I had plenty of questions to ask. Sunggyu too was making his way through the crowd.

"Haeri." He grasped my hand. There was a sense of relief in his voice. "Let's dance."

We went to the dance floor and swayed to the soft music. My arms around his neck, his hands at my waist.

"This song won't last forever. What did you want to speak about?"

"I wanted to tell you before anyone said anything. My mother speculates that we're dating."

"Why?" I became guarded.

"Because I told her about our second date."

"Why?"

"My sister is getting married. I had hoped by saying something she would back off but it back fired. My sister's wedding is still in the process and now she has her eyes on us as well."

"You used me." Just like every other man.

"And you used me. I think we're even." He was referring to the kiss in front of Woohyun.

"Fine. But how are you getting us out of this? My mother saw us leave together that day and you even sent me a dress."

"Which you look beautiful in." He smiled and I hated myself for blushing.

I was aware of the photographers nearby. They were waiting for a juicy story, even if it wasn't true. "Now's not the time." I looked up at him.

Those intense brown eyes. I couldn't look away. They pulled me, haunted me. If we never saw each other again, I would always remember those eyes.

"I'll figure out a way to get us out of this. I just wanted you to be prepared in case my mother approached you."

The song ended and we bowed to each other. "Thank you."

Before the next song could start I was swept away by another man. "Finally." Woohyun smiled.

________________________________________